00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ThanksDennis just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

This morning's craziness.

5,485 Views | 54 Replies
Respond to this Topic

This morning's craziness. 2004-01-13 23:24:20

When the database was playing up this morning, a number of things happened. A couple of which were very popular submissions disappearing from the Portal. If you've noticed any submissions that are linked from either the front page or from the collections pages that appear to be in the Graveyard, please e-mail me the submission title that's missing and I'll look into it. Thank you to Nail-Driver for helping spot this problem.

On another note, we're still looking into the diatribe of errors that seem to be occuring every now and then. Hopefully that will all be fixed up soon.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-13 23:27:29

wow alot of stuff happened this morning. I hope you guys got it fixed.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-13 23:28:51

Hmm.. I noticed some submissions going away.. I'll try to look up the titles for you. Besides that.. NG seems to be running great now.. if the database was fixed, I haven't had an error all day!

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-13 23:32:43

im searching the portal for lost submissions (luckinly none of mine were lost :-) ) but ill be sure to let you know if i find any

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-13 23:48:31

Drag racer got blammed. I dont feel like e-mailing you.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 00:03:32

i haven't seen any disapeer in a while

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 00:15:55

the turd of the week is not correct, there was a lower submission of 1.26 it may be the errors...

g0d 0f teh pr0tal

Piconjo > j00

Piconjo <3 j00

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 00:29:12

well, I don't actually see any good movies into the graveyard yet,but I hope those errors fixed so I don't have to deal with lots of errors.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 00:31:19

thats madnessssssss madnes i tell youuuuuuuuu

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 00:38:15

11:38 pm Central time

I was on here, like, 3 hours ago, and I was getting error after error. I'm on here now, and not a single one... yet. I think you fixed it for the time being, guys. Great job.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 01:03:18

Out of curiosity, how many hits do you get per day?

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 01:21:30

hey i dont see any movies in the graveyard that dont belong there, but is it possible that ng's was hacked? i mean popular submissions just ending up in the graveyard,errors after errors, and the site was down for a while.....im actually hoping that it just was hacker cuz then we could catch the guy and it'll be all better, but if it is just errors then ng's looks like its in bad shape....i hope the site has some good news for once this year.this site is my life......
ive had friends that would go to ng's at my house since 95 but damn i have never seen an actual error til about 99 and now all of this......what could cause all of this....i mean errors can be because of server problems,but when they show up this close to submissions being blammed when there not low enough score, AND the site shutting down.i think this is one of the worst things ever to happen all at once......

P.S. i think this would make a great part for the history of ng's in the next couple of months.....

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 01:41:29

oh another thign i'd like to point out is that ng's is finally back to the way is was.i have been voting on the under 200 list(no idea how to make that a link) and i voted on about 75 in the last 15 min and no errors!!!!!! NOT A SINGLE ONE!!!!! the only problems i have had have been me filling up my temp internet folder(the max it holds is 50mb's and it shwas full)and not having ANY pages loaded :) i guess thats what happens when u fill up 79.9gb's out of the 80gb's my computer has.....oh well i emptied my temp internet and deleted about 10gb's of crap and ng's is loading faster than my old crappy 1kb angelfire sites YAY!!!!!!
kudos to the last bit uv changes cuz they must have werked!!!!!!!!

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 01:42:59

I didnt notice any missing submissions.

hurp

BBS Signature

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 01:43:00

Could it be that guy who when you would watch his movies it would make you review bad for legendary frogs stuff?

I don't know two shits about hacking, but I would guess that newgrounds probably has to be a pretty hard place to hack into.

Mike

BBS Signature

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 02:07:16

At 1/14/04 01:43 AM, Baron_Von_Bad_Guy wrote: Could it be that guy who when you would watch his movies it would make you review bad for legendary frogs stuff?

I don't know two shits about hacking, but I would guess that newgrounds probably has to be a pretty hard place to hack into.

Mike

i used to live with a guy that knew how to hack and make joke viruses and stuff like that(ex:one made the screen turn black and made the keyboard not work and the screen said ur computer has been stoned!!! and all u had to do was restart ur computer and delete the file it never auto started itself....)but wat i learned from him was that once you break into it(he never elaborated that part :( unfortunatly)that it was just like editing the web page like angelfire(but hella more complicated...like u were tom or liljim with access to the site directly cuz u do) and so it would probable be extremely easy to delete submissions once u got in....but i dont know any1 stupid enough to break into a web site that has no real bonuses to breaking in(like money stealing or information....)because hacking is a fedaral offense. i dont mean disrespet(towards ng's) but if some1 did hack ng's they were pretty stupid ng's isnt worth hacking into and only doing a little bit like errors and shutting it down for awhile....and its especially not worth going to jail over sending submission to the graveyard that can just be re-submitted.....

P.S.thanks again for the last changes u made ive been voting more on the under200 list and have not gotten a single error since this morning GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!!

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 02:12:28

At 1/13/04 11:24 PM, liljim wrote: When the database was playing up this morning, a number of things happened. A couple of which were very popular submissions disappearing from the Portal. If you've noticed any submissions that are linked from either the front page or from the collections pages that appear to be in the Graveyard, please e-mail me the submission title that's missing and I'll look into it.

Ah, maybe that's why my review count dropped two, then went back up two without me reviewing a thing... it's normal now, so nothing I've reviewed has gone walkabout.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 02:17:32

Yeah, it has been craziness. I've never seen so much NG news at once, regarding errors and crap.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 02:21:49

At 1/14/04 02:17 AM, CrookedAsterisk wrote: Yeah, it has been craziness. I've never seen so much NG news at once, regarding errors and crap.

Yep...

This morning's craziness.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 02:22:53

At 1/14/04 02:21 AM, CrookedAsterisk wrote: Yep...

Wow. That turned out blurry.

(Sorry for the triple post)

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 02:43:32

At 1/14/04 02:12 AM, jonthomson wrote:
At 1/13/04 11:24 PM, liljim wrote: When the database was playing up this morning, a number of things happened. A couple of which were very popular submissions disappearing from the Portal. If you've noticed any submissions that are linked from either the front page or from the collections pages that appear to be in the Graveyard, please e-mail me the submission title that's missing and I'll look into it.
Ah, maybe that's why my review count dropped two, then went back up two without me reviewing a thing... it's normal now, so nothing I've reviewed has gone walkabout.

Hm. I wish MY review count would drop by 2, since it's off by 2. But of course, I'd like mine to REMAIN accurate instead of reinflating a few hours later.

Fun fun fun.

The funny thing about last night/this morning is that I wasn't using NG much, but I was waiting to see how much HT's deposit raised my exp-to-the-next-level, and I noticed that not only could you not see profiles, nor load movie mainpages or the BBS or anything, if you went to the top 50 list section and checked out the most recent deposits... they stopped at 4:37 AM ET for hours and hours... restarted around 9 AM or so, but then stopped again an hour later or so... and restarted by noon.

The same thing can be observed by just looking at all the timestamps of posts in these news topics. It's like age rings in tree trunks!

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 02:44:20

well try to fix it this time and not make new problems again =P

At 1/14/04 12:15 AM, ToastBlue wrote: the turd of the week is not correct, there was a lower submission of 1.26 it may be the errors...

strange could be that it didn't reseve enough votes to become turd of the week. and did you check the date?

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 06:14:03

Woah but craziness is craziness

I guess this can easily be worked out by asking all the athors to check their submissions themselves :)

It can work out !!!

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 07:05:53

That sucks.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 07:29:23

A nuther weird thing has happend.. i have realised that a submission i put on NG (Rashah (preview)) has suddenly appeard in the flash portal with all the original votes and comments.. WHF is goin on.. i diddn't put it there.. im not angry.. just confused!.gif

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 07:39:51

AAAArrrfgggghhh!!!! The end is nigh, repent and you shall be saved.

This has been a bad couple of days for me, Newgrounds beng down and not having anything better to do. I hope this is cleared soon Jim old man.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 10:36:17

At 1/14/04 01:03 AM, Hannibal222 wrote: Out of curiosity, how many hits do you get per day?

We haven't been running web logs in some time to save on server resources. So we don't know exactly. We did hear Media Metrics, the industry standard web traffic service, said we had around 2.5 million unique visitors in December.

You can also get an idea of where we stand here:

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=newgrounds.com

We probably get around 200,000-300,000 unique visitors a day, if not more. The last time we had logs we were doing around 130,000-150,000 unique visitors, and that was well over a year ago and we've increased our hosting capabilities greatly since then.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 10:47:57

I dont quite think the error messages are all fixed, i got like 10 in a row about 10 minutes ago, it disrupted me in the middle of posting a very long message :'(
a tip from me, when ur posting long messages copy before you post to make sure u still have a back-up if it dosn't post :)
I you already know that then fine, but thats all i have to say.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 11:27:22

At 1/14/04 10:47 AM, tartan_skirt wrote: I dont quite think the error messages are all fixed, i got like 10 in a row about 10 minutes ago, it disrupted me in the middle of posting a very long message :'(
a tip from me, when ur posting long messages copy before you post to make sure u still have a back-up if it dosn't post :)
I you already know that then fine, but thats all i have to say.

We're still tweaking the system. I've taken the database offline twice this morning and I wouldn't be surprised if it's taken down once or twice more for periods of a couple of minutes at a time before the day's out.

Response to This morning's craziness. 2004-01-14 13:00:13

No errors for me.

Though my pop-up blocker isin't compressing all NG's popups, I can live with that.

Ive created a collage of the big-ass error problems. I'll be sharing if interested.