00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dexxterzlab just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Malicious Portal Stuff

7,749 Views | 57 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:28:12

I just did something very uncharacteristic - I deleted my previous frontpage post. I'm just in a CRAZY mood tonight!

It appears a malicious Portal submission has been triggering spam posts on the BBS and in the review fields. We'll be fixing this in the morning, but just be aware of it for now. I originally thought the spam reviews were another "hate group" attacking a Flash author, which triggered a huge rant that is now partly irrelevant. I decided to pull it because I don't want to contribute to any more negative attitudes at the moment.

I need to get some sleep. We'll sort all this out in the morning.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:29:48

it's ok tom, everyone makes mistakes. that's why pencils have erasers.

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:30:08

What was tha movie that had tha script?..

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:34:35

At 1/11/04 03:29 AM, BlGBADRON wrote: it's ok tom, everyone makes mistakes. that's why pencils have erasers.

Also why those eraseable pens have erasers.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:34:58

At 1/11/04 03:29 AM, BlGBADRON wrote: it's ok tom, everyone makes mistakes. that's why pencils have erasers.

Hehe... Thanks for the prompt response on my original post. I should have looked into it more before I went nuts. It just seems there are so many troublemakers recently - maybe it is the winter weather making people act shitty or something.

-Tom

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:36:14

lol poor tom-sama you need sleep or ...something.. besides dont worry about it its just like what BlGBADRON said so it nothing to worry about mmkay

hee hee [dose anime peace sign]

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:36:14

At 1/11/04 03:30 AM, Rocka003 wrote: What was tha movie that had tha script?..

This crap movie.

<3

Need a hot dicking?

JonasATnewgrounds.com

I do voices.

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:36:57

Can you just trace thier IP and ban them?

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:39:46

At 1/11/04 03:36 AM, Dobio wrote: I LIKE CHEESE.

*end mimicing*

Yeah, it's real mature though, attacking a very powerful site, that you could probably get sued for...

*rolls eyes*

You gonna take legal action?

Nah, we just need to fix the system so people can't do that sort of thing. We've fixed similar problems for movies that auto-vote for themselves, but this is something new and annoying.

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:40:34

yea dont worry dude, i just blame my sister when i make mistakes

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:40:39

The original post was a bit angry, but a lot of the stuff you said still deserved to be said.

Mostly stuff about the hate groups, and them not being welcome and all that kinda stuff...

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:40:41

At 1/11/04 03:28 AM, TomFulp wrote: I just did something very uncharacteristic - I deleted my previous frontpage post. I'm just in a CRAZY mood tonight!

well, taking it off the front page and/or locking it would have worked just as well, but... yeah, I can understand how that was easier to do.

It appears a malicious Portal submission has been triggering spam posts on the BBS and in the review fields. We'll be fixing this in the morning, but just be aware of it for now. I originally thought the spam reviews were another "hate group" attacking a Flash author, which triggered a huge rant that is now partly irrelevant. I decided to pull it because I don't want to contribute to any more negative attitudes at the moment.

Probably wisest. It's understandable that after the Suggestion Box Turd of the Week scandal, you were on edge, but you can rest assured that 99% of the people you listed in that rant would never do anything to hurt NG intentionally, we were all just used by the flash we'd seen, unbeknownst to us.

I need to get some sleep. We'll sort all this out in the morning.

Good idea. But I don't know how you can really fix this problem, unless there's some way you can limit what flash submissions can do from the portal, or make the BBS or review system more airtight... anywho, good luck with that.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:40:41

At 1/11/04 03:34 AM, TomFulp wrote: Hehe... Thanks for the prompt response on my original post. I should have looked into it more before I went nuts. It just seems there are so many troublemakers recently - maybe it is the winter weather making people act shitty or something.

-Tom

i just had my a-game on tonight.

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:42:57

At 1/11/04 03:40 AM, BlGBADRON wrote:
i just had my a-game on tonight.

And your O face.

O!

Need a hot dicking?

JonasATnewgrounds.com

I do voices.

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:43:37

im so confussed the convo just changed from weird moods to script nani script is it

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:54:25

At 1/11/04 03:43 AM, Dobio wrote:
At 1/11/04 03:39 AM, TomFulp wrote: Nah, we just need to fix the system so people can't do that sort of thing. We've fixed similar problems for movies that auto-vote for themselves, but this is something new and annoying.
Might want to make an official *Suggestion to change your password* type thread...or were the malicious movies not related to account passwords?

Good question. It's one I'd like to know the answer to, as well... already asked liljim in a mail, but of course he's sleeping through all of this. #;-}> In any event, we'll find out sooner or later, I'm sure. I changed mine less than an hour after the review happened (I was logged in the whole time), but that was before I found out I was just one of many dozen victims, and not a solitary target... with the huge amount of autoreviews and autovotes and autoposts, I'm inclined to think it wasn't a password culling effort. If it had been, surely people would have been locked out of their accounts, for one thing.

anywho, what's with you ending your ban after 2 days, anyway? #;-}>

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:57:18

ahhhh tom needs to to stop being a better typist then me it makes me look bad :(

don't be trash people

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 03:58:42

Well Tom, like I said in one of those topics that you deleted, banning an IP will not solve the problem since the culprit(s) probably have a dynamic IP anywhoo, so if you guys could disable dirrect linking fom a flash movie or game, and have a text internet address come up that if someone wants to visit a site, they can copy and paste it, then I think this would help!

As for over-reacting, I think that was the intended effect, I hope you didn't delete too many peoples accounts in a fit of rage!

Cheers!

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:01:14

well that made sense......i think still kinda confussed but thats just because im oblivious to everything so ha!....................................ooo noodles!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:03:16

Glad to hear that the stuation has been dealth with.

Now back to roaming Newgrounds... *Flee*

Next Release ETA: ?

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:09:12

hee hee funny funny samas

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:14:23

I was wondering what happened to that post i was trying to reply to it and it wouldn let me.

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:25:50

i dont know........someone else dose tho!

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:28:53

hey tom while ur working on that

can u work on something for the people who post bad stuff on purpose for blam points and repost the same thing over and over and over and over again? sometimes on differant accounts i see the same movie posted 10 times a day

its still 10 blam points but it sucks blamming the same thing over and over again when i could focus on watching cool movies or playing games

Dark Kisses In Sweet Places

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:34:47

...now im really confussed how do you blamm something thats already been blammed

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:48:16

DAMN!!! its a good movie though...

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 04:52:38

eeepppp nani movie im confussed again......

BBS Signature

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 05:27:26

I'm shure Tom & the crew will sort it all out!

R.I.P LIVECORPSE

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 06:36:20

At 1/11/04 05:27 AM, Enoll wrote: I'm shure Tom & the crew will sort it all out!

After they sleep off the hangover, that is. ;-)

Response to Malicious Portal Stuff 2004-01-11 07:02:37

LOL!!! Awesome Tom :P
I do love making mistakes ;)

Hey the movie is Fine but if it's spamming THEN KICK the hell out 'a it.

P.S. I think spamming is fun :P