00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Pawnwolf just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

_-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_

4,544 Views | 53 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Let's see what you've got, NG musicians! The rules of this contest are as follows:
Your submission must be a remake of any movie theme song. It can be any length, and any genre. You may enter only one audio submission into this contest. Copy and paste the audio portal URL of your entry into a new post in this thread, saying that it is your entry. Also, you may use a song that you submitted before the start of this competition. All entries must be submitted by: 11:59pm on Sunday March 15th, 2009. I will pick the 3 best entries, then leave it up to my judges to pick the best. (I need judges! See bottom of this post)

The content of your song does not have to be entirely faithful to the original piece, though it must be recognizable as that theme. Creativity will be the key to winning this competition. In other words, if your entry sounds almost exactly like the original song, you will not be as likely to stand up to the more original and innovative entries. Let's see some ingenious adaptations!

Judges: I need 5 judges. You must be active NG audio submitters, or active reviewers. If you are neither of these, then tell me why you think you should be a judge and I might consider you. PM me if you are interested in judging this competition!
I plan on doing really distinct and creative audio competitions about once ever 2 months, so If you would like to be a consistent judge in my comps, let me know.

[[[News Post]]]

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-03 17:24:54

It's a good idea, but don't you think the deadline is way too early?

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-03 17:36:24

At 3/3/09 05:24 PM, MH16 wrote: It's a good idea, but don't you think the deadline is way too early?

Yeah, it may be. I'll probably extend it depending on how popular this gets. Anyone want to judge?? PM me!

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-03 23:11:14

I know I'm too busy to submit, so I'll judge on this one.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 01:00:37

At 3/3/09 11:11 PM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote: I know I'm too busy to submit, so I'll judge on this one.

Send me a PM, and we'll make it official ;)

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 07:59:50

It's a great idea!
Not sure I'll make it for the 15th, but I'll try.

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 08:14:49

I'll give it a try,

Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre,

Just hope that deadline kinda extends? :D

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 09:47:33

Funny this thread should be here... cause I just spent 7 hours of insomnia mapping out the 28 Days Later theme...

May as well enter it I guess, lol.

28 Days Later (Cover)

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 11:40:26

^ Damn, I was going to do that one.

If I can get my gearbox working, then definitely count me in! I made an arrangement of the theme from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but I never recorded it. Oh yeahhh.

EP2 out now! Download it for free :).

soundcloud | newgrounds

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 11:54:57

Our first entry!!! Nice! Yes I am officially EXTENDING the deadline (hopefully people see this). The deadline will be March 31, at 11:59pm. Also, the judging is going to be a little different than what I stated in the original post: The 5 judges will each pick their most favorite entry, and then I will pick 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place winners! This is the first time hosting a competition, so if there's a better way to do it... let me know! Cheers, and happy remaking!

p.s. I have 4 judges, I need one more!
The current judges are as follows: Bad-Man-Incorporated , Mushroomhead18nc , HalcyonicFalconX , Carf

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 13:57:50

Newest Audio Submission! I dont update this Alot...

I Make Music, not Bad, But not the Best! Enjoy yourself!

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 14:08:51

Sounds good! I just watched that movie like 2 weeks ago, epic stuff. To rephrase what I said earlier about the judging (damn i wish there was an edit button)

The judging is going to be a little different than what I stated in the original post: The 5 judges will each pick their most favorite entry, and then I will pick 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place winners out of the judges picks.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-04 16:15:25

To promote this competition, and the innovative entries within it... I am going to have a First Place Prize!
I will award first place with $20 of NG Store credit. If you win, you tell me what you want (whether it be a t-shirt, an assload of stickers, a figurine) and I will purchase it and have it shipped directly to you.
I will handle all of the ordering and the shipping costs.

Remember, creativity is the winning factor here ;) And again, good luck to all!

_-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-05 07:45:59

When i first saw this topic, a Lord Of The Rings song was in the works. It still is, but expect it as soon as i can get some Orchestral/Symphonic Percussion samples. :)

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-05 08:35:37

It must be only a movie theme? Whata about a cartoon theme?

New song: Twin Pulsar ||||| Recommended Flash: What Can Be Changed ||||| Habitat: Review Request Club

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-05 15:33:03

Sweet... I certainly wouldn't mind getting me a newgrounds T-shirt, go me!

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-05 16:01:06

At 3/5/09 08:35 AM, EvilScorpio wrote: It must be only a movie theme? Whata about a cartoon theme?

I cannot be just any like Saturday Morning cartoon type theme... If it's a "cartoon" movie, like a Disney or Pixar one, then go for it (Though I wouldn't recommend it). Don't take my word for it, but I think more well known (and classic) movie themes that are skillfully "re-imagined" will have a better chance of winning here ;) I don't want to be too stringent, but movies is the name of the game.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-05 16:15:42

Sorry to double post... But a couple of things:

We have two entries already! Remember, the deadline is now March 31st at 11:59pm EST.
The current entries are:

Be sure and check them out, and leave a rating or a review!
Keep em coming. I also still need one more judge for this competition, PM me if you're interested!

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-05 17:32:02

I call 'Tremors'... I'll try my best to get it done in time.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-05 19:11:03

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-05 21:44:32

At 3/5/09 05:32 PM, Kanped wrote: I call 'Tremors'... I'll try my best to get it done in time.

Heh, nice. I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid. It was good shit, though. The sequel sucked balls, if I remember correctly ;)

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-06 08:09:23

If i win, can i just have the fame? I dont need store moneys :)

Not saying i will win, it's only a figurative question. ;)

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-06 13:34:52

At 3/5/09 09:44 PM, Gorgorothx wrote:
At 3/5/09 05:32 PM, Kanped wrote: I call 'Tremors'... I'll try my best to get it done in time.
Heh, nice. I haven't seen that movie since I was a kid. It was good shit, though. The sequel sucked balls, if I remember correctly ;)

It was tongue-firmly-in-cheek stuff. You should check out the 3rd one and the series; hillariously bad and proud of it.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-06 13:44:12

Here's my attempt to remake the James Bond theme:

I hope that it will be allowed in the contest, because it's quite different than the real theme.

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-06 14:29:19

At 3/6/09 01:44 PM, MH16 wrote: Here's my attempt to remake the James Bond theme:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 18636
I hope that it will be allowed in the contest, because it's quite different than the real theme.

Wow, that is awesome. It is definitely allowed as an entry. Keep the good stuff coming, guys!
Also, if you would like the most current rules (damn the no "edit post" button), you can check out my latest news post for that, it also contains a list of the current judges and song entries.
Movie Theme Remake Competition News Blog

Cheers!

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-07 18:53:25

so far out the entries ive heard.. the 28days remix and 007 remix are really good to me.. keep em comin guys..

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 08:00:34

I hate to be the one to bring this up, since this contest will likely get someone in a LOT of LEGAL NIGHTMARES. Ever heard of copyright? This issue is always in the grey area when it comes to being legal or permitable to submit on NG. But now that you are OFFERING MONEY to the winner, you are paying for the song. A song that is not original. Now this contest potentially violates copyright law. Please re-consider this contest idea before you issue any money, because once you do, you WILL be breaking a law.

Hate to burst your bubble. :(

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 08:12:28

You can create re-mixed/altered movie themes for the purposes of parody without any legal problems; I'm pretty sure you can do it just for fun as well. Nobody's going to care, there's already a load of VG remixes on here; I don't see the lawsuit-hungry asshole machines from that particular industry (*cough* Activision *cough*) barging in and sueing left, right and centre. This really is a perfectly safe competition, provided that you don't just upload the theme itself and claim it's your own work.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 09:27:03

At 3/8/09 08:00 AM, brokendeck wrote: I hate to be the one to bring this up, since this contest will likely get someone in a LOT of LEGAL NIGHTMARES. Ever heard of copyright? This issue is always in the grey area when it comes to being legal or permitable to submit on NG. But now that you are OFFERING MONEY to the winner, you are paying for the song. A song that is not original. Now this contest potentially violates copyright law. Please re-consider this contest idea before you issue any money, because once you do, you WILL be breaking a law.

Hate to burst your bubble. :(

As long as the same song submitted either a.. gives all credit to the person/persons who wrote the original piece or b. if you change up notes and rhythms thoughout the song which is the whole point of this contest really.. to make a theme but make it your own taste but still recognizable which is hard to do..

look at the lawsuit of Joe Satriani Vs Coldplay.. he lost that and only thing coldy play stole was the chord progressions really.. but still the law stands...

"Could I be sued for using somebody else's work? How about quotes or samples?

If you use a copyrighted work without authorization, the owner may be entitled to bring an infringement action against you. There are circumstances under the fair use doctrine where a quote or a sample may be used without permission."

Taken from www.copyright.gov
Check it out

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 15:36:29

As long as the same song submitted either a.. gives all credit to the person/persons who wrote the original piece or b. if you change up notes and rhythms thoughout the song which is the whole point of this contest really.. to make a theme but make it your own taste but still recognizable which is hard to do..

look at the lawsuit of Joe Satriani Vs Coldplay.. he lost that and only thing coldy play stole was the chord progressions really.. but still the law stands...

"Could I be sued for using somebody else's work? How about quotes or samples?

If you use a copyrighted work without authorization, the owner may be entitled to bring an infringement action against you. There are circumstances under the fair use doctrine where a quote or a sample may be used without permission."

Taken from www.copyright.gov
Check it out

That case involved just a chord progression, I think you're right. But it's not an entire melody, which is the case here. A movie's THEME song constitutes much more than a chord progression. And the site you supplied only applies to U.S. Copyright. Various different countries have more stringent or less stringent copyright laws. The authorization clause states that you must seek proper permisson from the original creator of that work. Everyone here would have to receive legal authorization to reverse engineer those theme songs. Personally, I've chosen not to enter this contest. I don't want to end up getting sued by the music company. And I'm sure NG wouldn't take kindly to one of it's users getting them into knee-deep legal s*** either. I implore you once again to reconsider this contest.

You might be able to use the downloading / purchasing debate. You MIGHT get cuaght, but then again, you MIGHT NOT. Personally, I buy every album that I have mp3s for. I rip them straight off my disc onto the computer at max