00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Snooze34 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

_-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_

4,538 Views | 53 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 15:41:27

At 3/8/09 08:12 AM, Kanped wrote: You can create re-mixed/altered movie themes for the purposes of parody without any legal problems; I'm pretty sure you can do it just for fun as well. Nobody's going to care, there's already a load of VG remixes on here; I don't see the lawsuit-hungry asshole machines from that particular industry (*cough* Activision *cough*) barging in and sueing left, right and centre. This really is a perfectly safe competition, provided that you don't just upload the theme itself and claim it's your own work.

There's a difference here. This is no longer a contest for fun, because MONEY is being offered to the winners. When money is involved, no matter how little or large, it violates copyright laws. Being as this is a hugely popular site, I'm sure music industry people go through here from time to time. A small risk is still a risk. IMO, this contest isn't worth the small risk of potentially getting sued MILLIONS of dollars. Get my drift?

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 15:58:10

At 3/8/09 03:41 PM, brokendeck wrote:
There's a difference here. This is no longer a contest for fun, because MONEY is being offered to the winners. When money is involved, no matter how little or large, it violates copyright laws. Being as this is a hugely popular site, I'm sure music industry people go through here from time to time. A small risk is still a risk. IMO, this contest isn't worth the small risk of potentially getting sued MILLIONS of dollars. Get my drift?

Well, I think..in this case its kinda like this. A bar pays "COVER" band to play. Guaranteed, the band doesn't have the rights to the songs. They will only really be in trouble once the start selling concert tickets, or c.d.'s of the recreated songs. SO,

As long as the song is recreated 100% by the artist and contains ZERO samples from the actual theme, or quotes from the movie...etc...we should be ok. However, I'll double check with the admins and make sure. I'll get back on here as soon as I hear something.

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 16:04:28

Sorry to double post, but I mean like...

The money is for the artists skills, not the purchase of the remade song. But I think once the "material" is being bought and sold, perhaps then...you might have a problem.

Anyways, Like I said, I'm checking into it.

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 17:09:09

I like to think of it as a tribute. I never actually remade the 28 days later theme for the contest, I just so happened to remake it the night before this thread started simply because I couldn't sleep and love the song... So I decided to remake it, as a tribute to the original.

And as mentioned, we aren't selling the song, nor are we technically receiving any money for winning, we're getting a t-shirt or some stickers.

Remaking such things is purely for fun/enjoyment because we enjoy the work that was done by the original composers, in no way is that stealing from them unless we did it for the intention of reselling it. I know I didn't claim it was mine, I specifically put (Cover) in the title of things that aren't mine, and always state where it's from in the description so there's no confusion as such that people think I'm stealing something instead of just doing a cover of it.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 17:40:01

I agree, that unless the song itself is uploaded, there really isnt anything wrong. My lord of the rings mix has only the melody copied, and it took me forever to make it. It is not however, a copied version. I put in my own drums and violin samples.

But, if there are some issues with copyrights, i will certainly take the song down. I don't want any trouble. :)

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 18:30:18

Sorry guys, I've been away from an internet connection for a day and a half. Anyways about the copyright stuff, Bad-Man is contacting someone and we'll sort it out. Until then, this contest is still open and in play! I must thank brokendeck for trying to cover our asses. I personally think we'll be fine according to NG rules and copyright law, otherwise I wouldn't have started this competition. Good luck to everybody!

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 21:24:08

also dont forget there are alot of uploaded video game/movie/cartoon/tv show remixes uploaded to the audio portal as it is.. dont u think if NG didnt want that.. they would catch it in the title of the song and automatically delete it? Im just saying is all..If someone does end up uploading a song that is the original work with nothing added the author usually states its not their own work and they just uploaded because someone wanted to hear it or download it and it normally gets blammed anyway thats if we the people are doing our job in voting in new flash movies and songs

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 22:16:56

If it wasn't OK to do this, Weird Al would be busking in the street.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-08 23:47:22

At 3/8/09 10:16 PM, Kanped wrote: If it wasn't OK to do this, Weird Al would be busking in the street.

Weird Al gets permission from every artist he ever parodies. For example, the reason why you don't hear him parodying Eminem is because he failed to get Eminem's permission.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-09 04:17:24

At 3/8/09 11:47 PM, brokendeck wrote:
At 3/8/09 10:16 PM, Kanped wrote: If it wasn't OK to do this, Weird Al would be busking in the street.
Weird Al gets permission from every artist he ever parodies. For example, the reason why you don't hear him parodying Eminem is because he failed to get Eminem's permission.

He has done a parody of Eminem, don't remember the name of the song, but he has done it. Well, maybe not a full song, I think he did a quick parody in one of his "Polka" songs.

In any case, I honestly don't see any harm coming out of this... and as for the Weird Al thing... of course he has to get permission.. because he's selling the songs. We aren't.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-09 08:06:49

This is technically a royalty free AP, right? So, if we're not sellings the songs, and not making a profit off them whatsoever, then we aren't breaking any copyrights, if i am correct.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-09 08:08:39

umm actually guys.. It says clear as crystal in the law book.. Making parodies of songs doesnt require any form of authorization from the original artist.... Making paraodies is 100% legal.. if you want to copy the whole song note for note and just sample it and throw your voice onto it.. then it is perfectly legal as long as your making fun of the song and just re-writing lyrics... thats to my knowledge but I dont think its a big deal.. not many big time people know about newgrounds anyway so hey give it a go.. were not competeing for record deals or multi-million dollar contracts here.. just some stickers n shit

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-09 08:13:41

Or in my case, a bit more fame on the portal.

It is true that parodies can be made, thanks for bringing that up. :P

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-11 17:40:39

So. Word has been brought to me by the admins and I have to say, as an audio moderator, I have to agree as it pertains to what I moderate.

The audio portal was created with the goal to focus on original music. Covering songs isn't something that the administrators would like to endorse. So contests should revolve around themes of original music.
NOW, I am FULLY AWARE of the arguments regarding cover songs, video game covers that exist, covers of popular songs (which I have done some as well) So please leave those arguments for threads like these.
ETC.
That being said, this contest could maybe be changed into something else: Like a movie STYLE soundtrack, or inspired by, but different from the original soundtracks, or even "would be a better theme" or something like that.

That is ENTIRELY up to the contest holder, if he wants to continue with a contest theme at all.

So, in conclusion, regardless of "copyright" stuff, the site would rather have original themed content. Period. That eliminates any question regarding copyrights.

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-11 20:24:40

Ok. Sorry everyone, I would have loved to see this contest through the end... but I'm going to end it. It didn't seem to be very popular anyways, but those that did enter a song... Thank you for being a part of it! I'm sorry, no prize... but at least you've got a nice piece to add to your music portfolio. I will try and think up another contest soon, here. If anyone's got suggestions, let me know. Again, thanks everyone for participating and to my judges for helping me out. Catch you all later. -Alex

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-12 00:57:55

At 3/11/09 08:24 PM, Gorgorothx wrote: Ok. Sorry everyone, I would have loved to see this contest through the end... but I'm going to end it. It didn't seem to be very popular anyways, but those that did enter a song... Thank you for being a part of it! I'm sorry, no prize... but at least you've got a nice piece to add to your music portfolio. I will try and think up another contest soon, here. If anyone's got suggestions, let me know. Again, thanks everyone for participating and to my judges for helping me out. Catch you all later. -Alex

I think Bad-Man-Incorporated's idea of having a "movie style soundtrack" contest would be in order perhaps? It would be a chance to enter movie sounding music that is free from copyright issues.

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-12 03:17:48

Awww... bummer... I thought I truly had a chance at winning too. =(

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-12 03:46:52

At 3/12/09 03:17 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Awww... bummer... I thought I truly had a chance at winning too. =(

I know, I'm sorry. I just don't want to get in trouble with any of the NG staff, or with some big douche record company or something (not that it's very likely).

Any ideas for a next contest? I might possibly do the movie theme style contest...

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-12 06:35:44

At 3/12/09 03:46 AM, Gorgorothx wrote:
At 3/12/09 03:17 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Awww... bummer... I thought I truly had a chance at winning too. =(
I know, I'm sorry. I just don't want to get in trouble with any of the NG staff, or with some big douche record company or something (not that it's very likely).

Any ideas for a next contest? I might possibly do the movie theme style contest...

A movie style score type contest would be awesome... would be even more awesome if the best thing I ever wrote wasn't deleted from my hard drive before I had a chance to upload it... I swear to god, shortly after I started using strings and whatnot.. I created something that could have rivaled the Lord of the Rings soundtrack.... It poofed for no particular reason, and I haven't been able to recreate anything near as awesome since.

But I'd certainly give it another shot.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-13 01:27:52

At 3/12/09 12:57 AM, brokendeck wrote: I think Bad-Man-Incorporated's idea of having a "movie style soundtrack" contest would be in order perhaps? It would be a chance to enter movie sounding music that is free from copyright issues.

I'm definitely down for this!

EP2 out now! Download it for free :).

soundcloud | newgrounds

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-13 22:29:04

Sounds good to me too. I like the idea of doing the movie sound contest more. It means nobody will just be importing midis and using that. It happens all the time. This way they actually have to compose the instruments and work at it.

BBS Signature

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-14 01:55:53

At 3/12/09 03:46 AM, Gorgorothx wrote: I know, I'm sorry. I just don't want to get in trouble with any of the NG staff, or with some big douche record company or something (not that it's very likely).

Well that's a bummer. :(

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-14 08:37:52

So i probably should take down my Lord Of The Rings song? Aw man :|

Response to _-Movie Theme Remake Competition-_ 2009-03-14 10:26:09

Theres alot of possibilties for new contests

Best Genre a.k.a. Best Techno,Trance,Rap,Rock,Metal

Best Fusion of Styles a.k.a.- Metal Rap, Techno Rock, Classical Rap

Movie Theme Originals

Video Game Originals

8-Bit Originals

Cartoon Loops

Sad Originals a.k.a. Songs that give you chills when you listen to em

Happy Originals

Best Sampling

Most Creative

Most Complex a.k.a. Chord Structures and Melodies/Counter Melodies

Most Basic Sounding

Most Catchiest

Most Professional

Best Live Instrument a.k.a. Piano,Guitar,Bass, Drums, Vocals

hell the list can go on and on and on.. Its not hard to think of ideas for contests guys.. it just takes time and some people to enter them....

Hell if anyone wants to steal one of my ideas then feel free to do so..