00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LainLover just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,800,092 Views | 34,319 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-09 18:15:04

I don't know what's up with me lately... one day, I wanna be an electronic producer and DJ, next day, I wanna be working with a video-game development crew (doing sound, obviously).

I hate my inconsistency in goals.

So many things to be achieved!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-09 18:23:20

At 11/9/12 06:15 PM, The-iMortal wrote: I don't know what's up with me lately... one day, I wanna be an electronic producer and DJ, next day, I wanna be working with a video-game development crew (doing sound, obviously).

I hate my inconsistency in goals.

So many things to be achieved!

and so little time...

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-09 19:05:03

Echoz and MrSaint

I think you're both looking sexy.

Toothaches

They're pretty fucking horrible. I've been having jaw/tooth/ear aches for a couple of weeks, so I decided to go see a doctor; appointment over a week later, fun. The doctor basically said I should go see a dentist, which I kind of figured out in that week of waiting for my appointment. At the dentists' then I came to the conclusion that the best way to go is to get the molar in the back on the top right side pulled, which will happen next Tuesday. Meanwhile I'm taking antibiotics and downing painkillers to try and get some sleep at night. It's amazing what power to cause discomfort such a tiny piece of human has.

The smiley for this post indicates what it feels like waking up after the double painkiller has worn off in just 30 minutes. Blah.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-09 20:27:52

At 11/9/12 08:51 AM, SourJovis wrote:
At 11/8/12 07:30 PM, guitarmandan wrote:
At 11/8/12 05:34 PM, Sequenced wrote: Apparently, Psy's Gangnam style copied off of LMFAO's sexy and I know it's bassline.

dang.
And Coldplay stole one of Satriani's tunes and a bunch from other artists. No one seems to care....
Because there are tons of false rumours like that (this band broke up, that artist died, she's a guy, etc), only these don't hold up for a second. People have ears, internet and brains, so they instantly find out it's not true.

Except that it is true. Satriani took Coldplay to court over it. They settled outside of court for an undisclosed amount.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-09 23:26:16

At 11/9/12 08:27 PM, guitarmandan wrote:
At 11/9/12 08:51 AM, SourJovis wrote:
At 11/8/12 07:30 PM, guitarmandan wrote:
At 11/8/12 05:34 PM, Sequenced wrote: Apparently, Psy's Gangnam style copied off of LMFAO's sexy and I know it's bassline.

dang.
And Coldplay stole one of Satriani's tunes and a bunch from other artists. No one seems to care....
Because there are tons of false rumours like that (this band broke up, that artist died, she's a guy, etc), only these don't hold up for a second. People have ears, internet and brains, so they instantly find out it's not true.
Except that it is true. Satriani took Coldplay to court over it. They settled outside of court for an undisclosed amount.

Are you talking about If I could Fly VS Viva La Vida? Sad it had to come to a lawsuit. Music simply has certain rules as to what sounds good and what not. Which means there's only so much you can do, and everything has been done before. Coldplay always stays close to those rules, which is what makes Coldplay so popular. It's easy to grasp. Unfortunately that also makes Coldplay sound like everything else. There are Colplay singles that are accused of copying more than 10 different songs at once. That's simply not possible. Even I once got a comment by someone who thought Coldplay stole a song I'd covered (follow the link to see). My conclusion was that both songs were build around the same musical principles, and therefore sound alike. I don't believe Coldplay ever intentionally stole anything. They're just not very original. The same goes for If I could Fly and Viva La Vida. Both songs sound different. The similarities can be explained by shared musical laws. Btw Satriani wasn't the only one who claims Viva La Vida was the result of plagiarism. Cat Stevens said Viva La Vida was taken from his Foreigner Suite. You can compare both songs here I don't think it's even possible to copy the melody and chord scheme of the chorus from two different songs at once. Like I said; Just a result of shared musical rules.
As for the bass line of Gangnam style and Sexy and I Know It. I just don't hear it at all.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 01:10:52

At 11/9/12 10:44 AM, la-yinn wrote: Firepower tour for once makes me wish I was in the USA... biiiig stuff

going to see audio, trasher and counter strike tomorrow though and Downlink next month. Heavy bassparties are teh sex.

Twas awesomeness for sures! There are a lot of good tours going around these days, and I love the festivals... but I'd really like to explore the electronic music scene around the rest of the world. Hell, even more around the US would be a good start. I might get involved running lasers for a couple tours next year though, and I've started picking up bigger and bigger gigs for that... so I guess I'll see where that and the music takes me.

I agree 100% though, heavy bassparties are amazing. I do like it when shows load up with a lot of variety as well though. We were inundated by dubstep in my area for a long time, it's nice to see a little more variety finally.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 03:50:23

At 11/8/12 05:56 PM, SourJovis wrote:
At 11/7/12 04:42 PM, JJM121 wrote: Um, why can't I upload anything to newgrounds? Every other site is working fine.
Maybe you should try a different browser. It helps for me.

Apparently it was because of my Flash Player. I updated it and it seems to work fine now.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 05:15:00

At 11/9/12 07:05 PM, Mich wrote:
The doctor basically said I should go see a dentist, which I kind of figured out in that week of waiting for my appointment.

Oh good fun indeed. I have a similar story to share. I am allergic to fish (except tuna) and when I take a bite, whether it's boiled/fried - I start to feel really funky and after a few minutes I have to throw up. So, pretty much, I knew that I have some problems with eating fishies.

At some point, my father's friend, who is a doctor, said - I know one doc, who specializes in the allergy field, etc.

Well, to cut a long story short, after doing all the analysis - the doctor said that I shouldn't eat fish... Which was pretty fucking obvious a while back.

So until today, all I can do, is avoid eating fish ;(

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 05:16:32

At 11/10/12 05:15 AM, MrSaint wrote: So until today, all I can do, is avoid eating fish ;(

You're not missing out on much tbh.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 08:05:59

At 11/10/12 05:16 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
At 11/10/12 05:15 AM, MrSaint wrote: So until today, all I can do, is avoid eating fish ;(

Depends. Fresh tuna's amazing. Most other fish is a bit meh. Can you still eat seafood? Because if you can't then it really sucks to be you.

On the topic of allergies, I can't eat beans or eggs. I'm also allergic to cats. It's a bummer since beans and eggs taste amazing and cats are awesome, but it's better than I was when I was younger - before I was allergic to all that, along with dogs, some nuts, and dairy products. That meant no cheese, no ice cream, no chocolate, no cakes, no cereal, nothing.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 08:20:07

At 11/10/12 08:05 AM, Step wrote: On the topic of allergies, I can't eat beans or eggs.

Oh man! I have baked beans and eggs on toast all the time. I couldn't live without it.

I never realised till now how fortunate I am to have no allergies.

And I start complaining when I sneeze due to an ounce of hayfever. Pathetic.

Absolutely pathetic.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 08:46:36

At 11/10/12 08:20 AM, The-iMortal wrote:
Absolutely pathetic.

Want some beans with that self pity there, sir?

We don't get illa NO foods, HIGH FIVE MAH BROTHAH

I'd still die eating fish to be fair, I find everything about it to be disgusting..

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 09:04:30

At 11/10/12 08:46 AM, la-yinn wrote: Want some beans with that self pity there, sir?

a high five to you fellow members of the superior omnivore race. we must breed, slaughter the filthy sneezing weaklings and create a perfect society

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 09:20:30

At 11/10/12 08:05 AM, Step wrote: and dairy products. That meant no cheese, no ice cream, no chocolate, no cakes, no cereal, nothing.

WHAT!

NOOOOOOOO!

Cheese is the best man.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 16:26:55

On the topic of sickliness i just found out the miracle of cayenne pepper for sore throats.

I am a new man.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 16:54:29

At 11/10/12 04:26 PM, jpbear wrote: On the topic of sickliness i just found out the miracle of cayenne pepper for sore throats.

I am a new man.

coca cola is awesome for stomach aches

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 20:55:31

At 11/10/12 04:54 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 11/10/12 04:26 PM, jpbear wrote: On the topic of sickliness i just found out the miracle of cayenne pepper for sore throats.

I am a new man.
coca cola is awesome for stomach aches

on the topic of stomach aches,

I get the weirdest feeling in my tummy when ive been producing for hours straight frequently. Its kind of like an irritating gas i can just feel there but doesnt hurt.

Anyone else have this?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 22:06:23

SourJovis wrote:

Are you talking about If I could Fly VS Viva La Vida? Sad it had to come to a lawsuit. Music simply has certain rules as to what sounds good and what not. Which means there's only so much you can do, and everything has been done before. Coldplay always stays close to those rules, which is what makes Coldplay so popular. It's easy to grasp. Unfortunately that also makes Coldplay sound like everything else. There are Colplay singles that are accused of copying more than 10 different songs at once. That's simply not possible. Even I once got a comment by someone who thought Coldplay stole a song I'd covered (follow the link to see). My conclusion was that both songs were build around the same musical principles, and therefore sound alike. I don't believe Coldplay ever intentionally stole anything. They're just not very original. The same goes for If I could Fly and Viva La Vida. Both songs sound different. The similarities can be explained by shared musical laws. Btw Satriani wasn't the only one who claims Viva La Vida was the result of plagiarism. Cat Stevens said Viva La Vida was taken from his Foreigner Suite. You can compare both songs here I don't think it's even possible to copy the melody and chord scheme of the chorus from two different songs at once. Like I said; Just a result of shared musical rules.
As for the bass line of Gangnam style and Sexy and I Know It. I just don't hear it at all.

Yes, thats the one. I did a harmonic and melodic analysis of the two songs and its pretty creepy how similar they are. I agree with what you said though... but I suppose there is no way to really prove if it was direct copyright infringement or a happy coincidence... but theres a part of me that still believes it is just TOO close for comfort to be a coincidence... in music you pretty much have three aspects: Rhythm, Melody and Harmony... La Vida is like a 95% match on all three... except its in a different key. The tempo and rhythm are exactly the same, the chord progression is the same... the melody is about 95% the same... the only major difference is key and we all know how that stuff works.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 23:00:14

Drrrrunk post

Yes, it's that time again.. time for drunk posting. Also, it's pretty easy to type properly if you use backspace a lot. Go me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-10 23:38:08

At 11/10/12 05:16 AM, The-iMortal wrote:

Don't come crying to me when your old balding, greying and going crazy and I have lush hair and glowing skin.

Asian countries eat a lot of fish, that's why they whoop the rest of the world at pretty much anything. Well, at least that's my theory.

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me

Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-11 01:37:17

At 11/10/12 08:55 PM, jpbear wrote:

I get the weirdest feeling in my tummy when ive been producing for hours straight frequently. Its kind of like an irritating gas i can just feel there but doesnt hurt.

Anyone else have this?

nope. my eyes start to hurt a little though.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-11 03:01:44

OMG, I see Envy online...

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-11 04:11:11

At 11/11/12 03:01 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: OMG, I see Envy online...

see him all the time. derptiderp.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-11 12:00:48

At 11/11/12 04:11 AM, Sequenced wrote:
At 11/11/12 03:01 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: OMG, I see Envy online...
see him all the time. derptiderp.

the guy's been pretty active for aslong as ever afaik, maybe just lurking more.. used to do that a ton

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-11 14:36:18

At 11/10/12 09:04 AM, Buoy wrote:
At 11/10/12 08:46 AM, la-yinn wrote: Want some beans with that self pity there, sir?

a high five to you fellow members of the superior omnivore race. we must breed, slaughter the filthy sneezing weaklings and create a perfect society

I like to think that I'm an omnomnomnivore... I eat anything and everything lol. My only allergies are environmental fortunately... the changing of the seasons often really sucks, but my life isn't really impeded much by them.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-11 18:59:11

At 11/10/12 10:06 PM, guitarmandan wrote: Yes, thats the one. I did a harmonic and melodic analysis of the two songs and its pretty creepy how similar they are. I agree with what you said though... but I suppose there is no way to really prove if it was direct copyright infringement or a happy coincidence... but theres a part of me that still believes it is just TOO close for comfort to be a coincidence... in music you pretty much have three aspects: Rhythm, Melody and Harmony... La Vida is like a 95% match on all three... except its in a different key. The tempo and rhythm are exactly the same, the chord progression is the same... the melody is about 95% the same... the only major difference is key and we all know how that stuff works.

Apologies for the lengthy response.

You never know for sure that's true. It might be infringement. Still I think it isn't... Like you said there are a lot similarities. However, all of them can be explained by common song writing "rules".
The difference in key doesnâEUTMt say anything. That's true. If you play a song in a different key it's still the same song. But the same can be said about the tempo. It's still the same song, whether you play it fast or slow. So the fact that the tempo is almost (Viva La Vida being slightly faster than I Wish I Could Fly) the same, doesn't mean anything.
The chord progression is almost the same that's a good point. Viva La Vida has a basic VI VII III i scheme, while I Wish I Could Fly is an interesting variation on that scheme. Both schemes share 11/14 to 10/12 notes depending how you look at it. However the VI VII III i scheme is extremely common. Even Never Gona Give You Up has more or less the same chord progression (Fmaj7 G Em Am this is VI VII V i. So a V instead of a III, but those chords share 2 out of 3 notes so the scheme of NGGUU has 10/12 tones the same as La Vida, just like I Wish). There are a lot of songs sharing the same chord progression.
As far as the melody goes. The first three notes of I Wish I Could Fly are the same as the three notes of the verses of Viva La Vida after the anacrusis, but the rest of the melody is totally different. The melodies are up to 50% the same at the worst parts, though much less over the scope of the entire songs. Less than 20% I estimate. ThatâEUTMs a small number since there are only so much tones to choose from and there is a bias towards certain tones based on key, chord progression and rhythm.
At first glance both songs seem to have a similar rhythm. Both with a certain swing. That in itself isn't uncommon. When you play one song over the other, you hear it just doesn't sound right. On closer inspection there are several differences in rhythm.
I'm not even talking about the differences between the songs. The lyrics, the instrumentation, the mood, the style, the theme, etc. These things count too.

It's difficult to express similarities in percentages, but if I have to put numbers on it:

Chord Progression 80%
Melody 20%
Rhythm 50%
Overall Feel 20%

That makes a total of 42.5%. YouâEUTMd get an average of 20% for comparing two random songs. 80% or more for comparing a song to a shameless copy. 42.5% would be an unfortunate coincidence. Apparently enough to cause a stir.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-11 22:15:55

Posting from my PS3. Not having a working PC sucks.

Woooooo.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-11 23:25:04

At 11/11/12 10:15 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Posting from my PS3. Not having a working PC sucks.

Woooooo.

PC all the waaay bro

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-12 15:40:46

music
some music is good
literally good, man (3:42)

I wonder how that sounds to foreigners though?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-12 16:41:00

You guys are boring. Post nudes.

quarl BandCamp