00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Em0-Snail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Star Trek Crew

73,599 Views | 523 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Star Trek Crew 2009-01-02 09:24:05

I searched and couldn't find anything. If this has already been done, then sorry.

Anyways, as mentioned above, I searched and couldn't find anything like this, so I decided to start one. This is a club/crew for everyone who enjoys Star Trek. If you an interest in any of the following then you should join here:

----------------------------------------
-

Star Trek: The Original Series
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: Enterprise
Star Trek Movies
Star Trek Games
Anything else Star Trek-related that I've missed

-

Of course, like (most) clubs there are some rules that you have to abide by:

1. Follow the BBS Rules at all times.

2. If you don't like Star Trek then please don't join just to flame or start arguments.

3. This isn't necessary, but adding this club to your signature is a nice gesture.

4. Don'T TyPe LiKE ThiS. It's pointless and annoys everyone.

5. Likewise, Don't Capitalize Every Single Word That You Type, Like This. See above for reasoning.

6. Have fun!

-

I figured we could do ranks like on a starship from the shows. I'll be captain, then from one of the first posters I'll choose a first officer, second officer, chief of security, chief engineer, chief medical officer, etc. After all the 'big' posts are filled then we'll move down to Lieutenants, Ensigns, and so forth. If you have a specific request then please mention it when you first post.

Every page I will (try) and update the ranks. Also if you don't post in the club for three weeks then some action may be taken.

Anyways, enjoy! And who's excited for the new Star Trek movie coming out tihs year?

Star Trek Crew

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-02 12:19:50

In.

I've seen all of TOS, the first six films, and I just started on TNG yesterday, 4 episodes in.

I've seen bits of Deep Space 9, Voyager and Enterprise too, but I've never watched them properly so I don't really remember them.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-02 12:38:03

Excellent, welcome aboard TheMaster. You'll be first officer for being the first joiner. I also highly suggest you check out Deep Space Nine- I've seen every episode, great series.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-02 12:41:02

At 1/2/09 12:38 PM, Frenzy wrote: Excellent, welcome aboard TheMaster. You'll be first officer for being the first joiner. I also highly suggest you check out Deep Space Nine- I've seen every episode, great series.

I'm planning to watch it all in order, so I'll get to it eventually.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-02 15:02:08

At 1/2/09 12:41 PM, TheMaster wrote: I'm planning to watch it all in order, so I'll get to it eventually.

I'm also watching TNG, I'm on season 7 right now.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-03 20:54:39

Come on, no other Star Trek fans on NG?

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-03 21:29:38

Well, I wasn't planning on outing myself as a Trek-geerk toaday, but plans change I suppose :/

I've always been way more of a fan of TNG than any of the other series, the only decent one of which in my mind was the original. DS9 was too much of a floating soap opera, and Captain Janeway can suck it hard for her "brilliant" tenure of command.

Saving a race of subterranean psychic elves as opposed to getting home exponentially faster?

Pshaw....

I never cared for Voyager from the start. Like what DB-GT did to that franchise, Voyager did to Star Trek. Twisted and contorted it into something outlandishly untraditional. Even my all-time favorite character, Q, got ruined.

My main forté is with the movies, though. I've always been a bigger movie nerd than tv. The original cast Star Trek movies are among the best in the sci-fi genre, the best of which being VI: The Voyage Home imho. After that, Generations is the all around best passing-of-the-torch I have ever laid eyes on.

Anyways, enjoy! And who's excited for the new Star Trek movie coming out tihs year?

At first I was intrigued. But after reading the new cast lineup I groaned as is the norm when a remake of an already perfect classic is announced. It's still to early to make any judgments, which would be immature and foolhardy, but as of right now my opinion stand as, "this looks like yet another bad idea."

The ONLY thing I'm looking forward to is Simon Pegg as Scotty and John Cho as Sulu. Eric Bana was a bad choice for any role, I can tell you that right now. He's a terrible actor. I still can't believe they called back Nimoy for a credited role, yet totally snubbed Shatner. Not even a cameo for the greatest man to ever sit in THE chair? Pure heresy. I hear a lot of Hollywood politics was the main factor. Bill might have burned too many bridges on his way out. We'll never know for absolute sure.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-04 11:50:00

Welcome Jamoke, new second officer!

Anyways yeah the new Star Trek movie- I dunno waht to think of it. On one hand it looks like it has a lot of potential (I hope it's not as slow moving as The Motion Picture though!) And on the other hand they're remaking something that didn't really have to be remade which is bad (usually). And I also agree that William Shatner should have gotten a cameo. Even just a background shot or something would have been good.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-04 13:33:55

The film isn't actually a remake, it's got time travel in it, which is how it's set before TOS. The villain is from the future. Just sounds like a cheap way of typing what is effectively just a Battlestar Galactica-esque reboot into the rest of the canon, though.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-05 16:02:43

I just watched TNG Force of Nature and I can honestly say it was pretty terrible. The environment crap is so blatant that's it gets annoying- and they keep hammering it at us. And the ending just sucks. How would limiting ships to Warp 5 do anything? As I read somewehre, that's like restricting the fuel emissions on cars. Nobody would follow it anyways. I don't even consider this episode canon, it's so bad.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-07 18:33:04

At 1/4/09 01:33 PM, TheMaster wrote: The film isn't actually a remake, it's got time travel in it, which is how it's set before TOS. The villain is from the future.

Oh jeez.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-07 18:56:02

At 1/7/09 06:33 PM, Frenzy wrote:
At 1/4/09 01:33 PM, TheMaster wrote: The film isn't actually a remake, it's got time travel in it, which is how it's set before TOS. The villain is from the future.
Oh jeez.

Yeah, he comes back from after the end of Voyager/Nemesis and changes history creating an alternate timeline in which this film and any sequels they decide to do will take place.

That means everything apart from Enterprise didn't happen anymore, because this film changes history.

Yeah, I'd have preferred it to be a straight remake.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-07 20:19:29

At 1/2/09 09:24 AM, Frenzy wrote: I searched and couldn't find anything. If this has already been done, then sorry.

Anyways, as mentioned above, I searched and couldn't find anything like this, so I decided to start one. This is a club/crew for everyone who enjoys Star Trek. If you an interest in any of the following then you should join here:

Awesome. As dorky as the show is, there are some really great episodes, and I don't think that anyone can deny the campy allure of the original series.

-

Star Trek: The Original Series
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Star Trek: Voyager
Star Trek: Enterprise
Star Trek Movies
Star Trek Games
Anything else Star Trek-related that I've missed

I really only like The Original Series and The Next Generation, although Voyager has an entertaining, escapist quality to it. Enterprise was really hit or miss, although overall it wasn't very good.

I figured we could do ranks like on a starship from the shows. I'll be captain, then from one of the first posters I'll choose a first officer, second officer, chief of security, chief engineer, chief medical officer, etc. After all the 'big' posts are filled then we'll move down to Lieutenants, Ensigns, and so forth. If you have a specific request then please mention it when you first post.

Um. Can I be chief engineer, on account of me being an engineering student and all.

Every page I will (try) and update the ranks. Also if you don't post in the club for three weeks then some action may be taken.

Yeah, I don't see it turning out well though. I mean, why did Kirk drive that Cadillac off of the cliff?

And to get some conversation going: what are your favorite episodes? My favorite original series episode is probably A Taste of Armageddon (where Kirk blows up that giant war simulator) or Mirror, Mirror (where a transporter splits the universe into good and evil parallel universes).

Favorite TNG episode is definitely "The Inner Light" (where a probe makes Kirk think that he's an ancient farmer).

Also, what's everyone's favorite captain? I personally think that Kirk was the best captain. But it's kind of funny. Every girl that I've asked that question to (who hasn't just looked at me weird and walked away) says Janeway, even though it's obvious that Janeway was a terrible captain - and Kirk is the man.

"The mountain is a quarry of rock, the trees are a forest of timber, the rivers are water in the dam, the wind is wind-in-the-sails"

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-07 20:27:18

Welcome AI6200!

At 1/7/09 08:19 PM, Al6200 wrote: And to get some conversation going: what are your favorite episodes? My favorite original series episode is probably A Taste of Armageddon (where Kirk blows up that giant war simulator) or Mirror, Mirror (where a transporter splits the universe into good and evil parallel universes).

I like the one with the Nomad probe (The Changeling I believe), The Doomsday Machine, Mirror, Mirror, Amok Time, Space Seed, basically all of the episodes. I usually don't dislike Star Trek episodes

Favorite TNG episode is definitely "The Inner Light" (where a probe makes Kirk think that he's an ancient farmer).

You mean Picard right? :D

FIRST UPDATE!

Captain: Frenzy
First Officer: TheMaster
Second Officer: THEJamoke
Chief Engineer: AI6200

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-07 20:57:36

At 1/7/09 08:27 PM, Frenzy wrote: I like the one with the Nomad probe (The Changeling I believe), The Doomsday Machine, Mirror, Mirror, Amok Time, Space Seed, basically all of the episodes. I usually don't dislike Star Trek episodes

I always though Space Seed was funny because when they found the space ship at the beginning, Kirk said something like "That's an Earth starship, typical of the 1990s!" Oops...

You mean Picard right? :D

lol yeah.

"The mountain is a quarry of rock, the trees are a forest of timber, the rivers are water in the dam, the wind is wind-in-the-sails"

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-08 00:19:57

At 1/7/09 06:56 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 1/7/09 06:33 PM, Frenzy wrote:
Oh jeez.
Yeah, he comes back from after the end of Voyager/Nemesis and changes history creating an alternate timeline in which this film and any sequels they decide to do will take place.

That means everything apart from Enterprise didn't happen anymore, because this film changes history.

Yeah, I'd have preferred it to be a straight remake.

If this is true, I would prefer a cleat to the nuts as opposed this movie being made. Re-writing history has always been a bad idea, no matter what the outcome. There's going to be a lot of piss-off geeks on the internet the day of the release. Take cover, this bitch could go nuclear.

At 1/7/09 08:19 PM, Al6200 wrote: And to get some conversation going: what are your favorite episodes?

From TNG, there's too many to single out just one.

- The Naked Now where the crew contracts some alien disease which make them exhibit symptoms of being drunk. Captain Picard tipsy = lol

- Any episode with Q - best character on the show. Most notably, the one where Q is kicked out of the Q Continuum.

- Also any episode with Lwaxana Troi - cuz sassy older women rock my boat.

- Family, where Picard goes back to France to visit his brother. Great acting, and the casual, human side of Picard are showcased.

But really, I could watch any episode and love it. There were very few if none at all I didn't like.

At 1/7/09 08:27 PM, Frenzy wrote: FIRST UPDATE!

Captain: Frenzy
First Officer: TheMaster
Second Officer: THEJamoke
Chief Engineer: AI6200

I wanna be the ensign in the red shirt who beams down to the planet surface and never comes back.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-08 11:07:26

My favourite TOS episode is probably Balance of Terror, the first Romulan one. The Devil in the Dark (the one with the lava monsters in the mines) and The City on the Edge of Forever (the one where they go back in time through that portal thing) were excellent too.

I've only seen the first 16 episodes of TNG so I can't really choose one from that yet.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-08 12:11:23

At 1/8/09 12:19 AM, THEJamoke wrote:
If this is true, I would prefer a cleat to the nuts as opposed this movie being made. Re-writing history has always been a bad idea, no matter what the outcome. There's going to be a lot of piss-off geeks on the internet the day of the release. Take cover, this bitch could go nuclear.

Yeah, this royally sucks. And not just because they're rebooting the franchise (which is retarded), but because time travel makes no sense. If they had time travel, why did they only go back to the time of Kirk? Why not go back to the time of early man and then just wipe out humanity by launching a few nukes into Africa?

Anywho, I wish they would've just done something like Voyager - and told a new story in a different galaxy. Same Federation, different aliens.

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-08 15:42:26

Or they could do the movie that the Federation gets taken over, or they change the prime directive. That might work too.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-08 23:27:38

If anything they should have left well enough alone and let the franchise be, even though I have to admit the way they ended the last movie, Nemesis, with <SPOILER ALERT> Data dieing and being replaced by his underdeveloped prototype </SPOILER ALERT> was a tremendous let down. Either that or make a new movie with one of the casts of an alternate series like Enterprise or Voyager. They've got a strong enough fanbase and plenty of leeway to work with where instead of re-inventing the past they'd have simply been filling in some gaps. This idea of using time travel as a major plot device is contrived and somewhat ham-handed. It's a royal cop out, as opposed to creating an original and unique story to fit into the otherwise nicely flowing timeline.

If I were a member of the DS9, Voyager or Enterprise cast I couldn't help but feel snubbed and offended by the decision to assemble a group of relative nobodies who have no prior connection to the franchise for the new movie.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-10 09:54:33

At 1/8/09 11:27 PM, THEJamoke wrote: If I were a member of the DS9, Voyager or Enterprise cast I couldn't help but feel snubbed and offended by the decision to assemble a group of relative nobodies who have no prior connection to the franchise for the new movie.

A DS9 movie would have been amazing. I can't believe they never did one; although I guess the two-parters were kind of like movies.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-18 09:24:13

I finished watching season 1 of The Next Generation yesterday. Didn't think much of it on the whole, it was okay, but for how much praise TNG gets it doesn't live up to it. The last two episodes, Conspiracy and The Neutral Zone were excellent, though.

I've heard it gets better further into the series anyway, so hopefully I'll enjoy the later seasons more.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-18 21:37:02

At 1/18/09 09:24 AM, TheMaster wrote: I finished watching season 1 of The Next Generation yesterday. Didn't think much of it on the whole, it was okay, but for how much praise TNG gets it doesn't live up to it. The last two episodes, Conspiracy and The Neutral Zone were excellent, though.

I've heard it gets better further into the series anyway, so hopefully I'll enjoy the later seasons more.

It gets significantly better as the series progresses. Like most shows, the first season if more of a foundation laying more than anything. As the writers and cast get into their groove it gets way more interesting. There's other smaller yet also relevant changes- costume alterations, recurring characters come and go, cast members leave and return later to assume their previous roles, etc. I'm trying no to spoil anything for you as I write this....

I suppose the reason you don't view TNG as "living up to the hype" is due to the fact that you are watching it retroactively. Back in the '90s when it first premiered all that had come before it was the original series and corresponding movies. You are viewing it through the eyes of someone who is aware of the series which followed, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise. Back when there was nothing to compare it to other than the original Star Trek it made quite an impact. There's a story involving the original cast members of ST where they were invited to watch the pilot episodes in a private screening. They say that mostly everyone among the audience, Nimoy, Shatner, Takei, Koenig, all had low expectations and were not at all thrilled to be seeing a new series. By the end of the first two episodes, they did a 180 and were impressed, if not the first fans.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-21 16:44:12

Star Trek is sweet cant wait till that new movie comes out Spock Rulzzz

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-22 10:39:55

At 1/21/09 04:44 PM, UnKnownSoul wrote: Star Trek is sweet cant wait till that new movie comes out Spock Rulzzz

Yup, welcome UnKnownSoul- new Chief of Security!

Oh, and about the first season of TNG- yeah, it definately is the worst season overall. 'Conspiracy' is one of my all-time favourites, though. Each season builds on the previous one.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-23 00:59:14

Im just wondering after the Enterprise with capt. Archer whats next will they make or will end it all
(so hope not I will cry)
I would like to see a NCC-1701-F

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-23 06:19:10

At 1/23/09 12:59 AM, UnKnownSoul wrote: Im just wondering after the Enterprise with capt. Archer whats next will they make or will end it all
(so hope not I will cry)
I would like to see a NCC-1701-F

Honestly, I don't think they're gonna make another TV series, unless the movie does really well then maybe.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-23 10:46:32

I wouldn't expect another TV series, either. Sequels films if this one does well, maybe, but not a series.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-23 17:08:09

:'( Can't end it

Response to Star Trek Crew 2009-01-23 21:10:19

The Picard Song

You must hear this. Now.