00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Avrram just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Dawn Of War Ii Thread

2,597 Views | 40 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-15 16:21:52

This thread is for fans of Dawn of War (or who think Dawn of war 2 looks good) who want to discuss it/post videos etc.

If you don't know what Dawn of War 2 is, then its a RTS focussed on small squads of units with squad leaders, abilities and a Commander Unit. It uses the Company of Heroes engine which makes cover essential and gives it a Graphical boost from the Original Dawn of War.

These are the two main reasons why D.O.W 2 is going to be a great game for any RTS fan

1. No base building: No more following the same build order again and again to win, no more "BUILD MORE POWER PLANTS OMFG", in D.O.W 2 you start off with your units and are just left to actually use the STRATEGY of the genre, if you think RTS is full of tactics then think about the following.

Average Plan for C&C 3: Build lots of Mammoth Tanks or rush
Average Plan for DoW: Build lots of super units or rush
Average Plan for A.O.E 3: Build lots of units/rush

These are all games where the strategy is based solely on your ability to build quicker than the other player, as soon as the plan is set in motion it has little to no flexibility, like a glass rod.

2. An excellent Campaign, the campaign screen looks like something similar to a diablo like game, it has your characters, what weapons they have, armour etc. This added customization allows you to perfect a strategy you like or just make a squad awesome at something. The campaign is also fully NON-linear, this is a free choice campaign where what you do has consequences unlike Command and Conquer 3 where each campaign is fully set.

Videos/trailers/teasers

Space Marine Campaign Clip: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/40922 .html
Dawn of War 2 Intro: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_QmsNZ6fj3 Q&feature=related

Dawn of War 2 is planned for release Spring 2009

(Back from the dead!)

Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-15 16:29:41

At 12/15/08 04:21 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: These are the two main reasons why D.O.W 2 is going to be a great game for any RTS fan
1. No base building: No more following the same build order again and again to win, no more "BUILD MORE POWER PLANTS OMFG", in D.O.W 2 you start off with your units and are just left to actually use the STRATEGY of the genre, if you think RTS is full of tactics then think about the following.

uicker than the other player, as soon as the plan is set in motion it has little to no flexibility, like a glass rod.
Wait, what the fuck. No structures? S.. Set units? That fucking sucks, half the tactics in RTS's are building bases strategically you nonce. I've been playing RTS's for 8 years and relish base building.

2. An excellent Campaign, the campaign screen looks like something similar to a diablo like game, it has your characters, what weapons they have, armour etc. This added customization allows you to perfect a strategy you like or just make a squad awesome at something. The campaign is also fully NON-linear, this is a free choice campaign where what you do has consequences unlike Command and Conquer 3 where each campaign is fully set.

Like the campaign for the Dark crusade expansion? That wasn't really a campaign mode though, really a 'conquest' mode.

I doubt i'll buy it, even though the first was great.

Stop looking

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-15 16:40:40

At 12/15/08 04:29 PM, SCUD14 wrote: Wait, what the fuck. No structures? S.. Set units? That fucking sucks, half the tactics in RTS's are building bases strategically you nonce. I've been playing RTS's for 8 years and relish base building.

It's in the early stages but you pick the units just before the match and you can reinforce them by capturing points (Like shrines to the Emperor) and selecting the "reinforce" button

Like the campaign for the Dark crusade expansion? That wasn't really a campaign mode though, really a 'conquest' mode.

Ah, but this also has a plot and multipal choices where you can only pick one of them (Save the city or go for the Awesome Hammer?) which then has a knock on effect, so if you picked the "Save the City" option then the Hammer might get stolen by an enemy commander, making you have to find and kill him to get it. This makes it better than Dark Crusades conquest mode, which didn't really have a plot but just linked skirmishes in an order you chose with some boss maps at the end.

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-19 09:38:05

At 12/15/08 04:21 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: This thread is for fans of Dawn of War (or who think Dawn of war 2 looks good) who want to discuss it/post videos etc.

DoW2 rules.

If you don't know what Dawn of War 2 is, then its a RTS focussed on small squads of units with squad leaders, abilities and a Commander Unit. It uses the Company of Heroes engine which makes cover essential and gives it a Graphical boost from the Original Dawn of War.

yeah yeah

These are the two main reasons why D.O.W 2 is going to be a great game for any RTS fan

Actually that sucks.I like base building.Oh wait, it will be a unit-based rts?You just have some units and you can't even produce more?Jeez.I hope they change that..

Works fine

Yep

Uh-uh

These are all games where the strategy is based solely on your ability to build quicker than the other player, as soon as the plan is set in motion it has little to no flexibility, like a glass rod.

This is strategy my friend..

Hm

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-19 09:47:02

At 12/19/08 09:38 AM, HeavyTank wrote:

Actually that sucks.I like base building.Oh wait, it will be a unit-based rts?You just have some units and you can't even produce more?Jeez.I hope they change that..

Remember the early missions in Company of heroes? Imagine that but the squad commanders can only be knocked out (and so revived) and have special abilities (The assault marines can use there rocket jump to crush enemy infantry for example). Though squads can be reinforced (buying missing troops in the squad) at captured "Points of Interest". Meaning unless all your units die you'll never need to train more troops, and if all your units die then you just restart.

This is strategy my friend..

No. It is NOT strategy. This is a shallow skin over basic button pressing and mouse clicking, there is NO strategy in pressing a button, seeing a number decrease, watching a loading bar and then a textured lump come out. That is merely button pressing, pressing that button 20 times does not make a strategy. A strategy would be sending your snipers at the enemies flank, order your machine gunners into a nearby building and getting your Assault squad ready to disrupt them as they charge at you and your baited basic Infantry squad.

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-19 09:58:06

At 12/19/08 09:47 AM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: Remember the early missions in Company of heroes? Imagine that but the squad commanders can only be knocked out (and so revived) and have special abilities (The assault marines can use there rocket jump to crush enemy infantry for example). Though squads can be reinforced (buying missing troops in the squad) at captured "Points of Interest". Meaning unless all your units die you'll never need to train more troops, and if all your units die then you just restart.

I know, but l think that no base building at all sucks..l mean, DoW had very little base building, but why the hell did they remove it entirely?

No. It is NOT strategy. This is a shallow skin over basic button pressing and mouse clicking, there is NO strategy in pressing a button, seeing a number decrease, watching a loading bar and then a textured lump come out. That is merely button pressing, pressing that button 20 times does not make a strategy.

No..these are considered the best strategy games of our decade and you say they are shallow?I think l know a bit more about RTS than you do if you think C&C is shallow..l mean, come on..if you want it that way every game is plain mouse-clicking and key pressing...

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-19 11:46:55

At 12/19/08 09:58 AM, HeavyTank wrote: I know, but l think that no base building at all sucks..l mean, DoW had very little base building, but why the hell did they remove it entirely?

DoW didn't have much base building I agree with, but they got rid of it to focus on the units and so games of it wouldn't need 5 minutes of building Infantry/tank buildings everytime, it also kind of gives each unit a more unique feel, knowing that if you spend them to the other side of the map on there own they will probably die, and then you'll have to go and revive them.

No..these are considered the best strategy games of our decade and you say they are shallow?I think l know a bit more about RTS than you do if you think C&C is shallow..l mean, come on..if you want it that way every game is plain mouse-clicking and key pressing...

I didn't mean it that way, I meant that... Well I'll make an example based on my first 2 or 3 tries of C&C 3 Multiplayer:

I had just gotten far into the campaign and loved it, I loved the limitless squad caps and the almost endless strategic opportunists, after getting bored of playing against the computer, and finding the campaign getting to an almost unfair difficulty I decided to give the Multi-player a go. I was optimistic that other people would of thought of great and clever strategies taking advantage of the terrain and no squad cap. Oh god I was so wrong... All they had done was create such a great game with unlimited opportunity into a stupid 1 button clicking fest. All I saw was large resource bases and then 2 or 3 factories making mammoth tanks, this would last 5 minutes and then they would all rush into the center, then someone would spam rocket infantry and win.

---REPEAT---

That might be fun for some people, but for me it was like everyone had just decided the best way to play games was to follow one of two strategies.

RUSH

Build lots of resources and SPAM

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-19 15:36:01

At 12/15/08 04:21 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: These are the two main reasons why D.O.W 2 is going to be a great game for any RTS fan

Ugh. I hate people that say this.
Just because there's no base building doesn't mean there's going to be strategy or even fun. There's online flash games that let me do this and it bores me.

I'm so good because I generalize and condescendingly scoff at fans of other games.

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-19 17:19:46

At 12/19/08 03:36 PM, LTmatt wrote:
At 12/15/08 04:21 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote:
Ugh. I hate people that say this.
Just because there's no base building doesn't mean there's going to be strategy or even fun. There's online flash games that let me do this and it bores me.

Maybe DoW 2 will screw up and be a bad game, but I believe that if anyone can get people having fun and vastly different tactics in a small squad based game then It will be THQ, also most online flash games without base building are slow dumbed-down affairs, at least compared to Proper £40 RTS's.

I'm so good because I generalize and condescendingly scoff at fans of other games.

I'm so good because I like to post comments mocking people who hate it when great potential gets squandered in every game they've played.

The only time I saw a different strategy was on DoW Winter-Assault a year after Dark Crusade came out. If you've ever seen someone use a tactic other than Rush/Swarm with heavy units in C&C 3 then please tell me, I've never seen it happen before.

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-19 17:36:43

Sounds like more of an RTT than an RTS now.

I can't really decide where I stand on this because on the one hand, at least I won't get rushed by some skilless fuck playing as Chaos every other match.

On the other hand, there goes the tense build up that usually comes with the beginning, base-building bit of most RTS games.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-19 21:44:46

I'm iffy about this game, It'll probably be a flop or a success. I liked to build a huge base, turtle, and obliterate my enemy while laughing at his pathetic rushes. Of course, with no base building, at least they can't spam units at me until my units and turrets die.

so hard to choose a side...

Memes, bro.

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-20 03:13:52

At 12/19/08 11:46 AM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: DoW didn't have much base building I agree with, but they got rid of it to focus on the units and so games of it wouldn't need 5 minutes of building Infantry/tank buildings everytime.

This sounds boring.You have to produce units, not just "buy" them..

I didn't mean it that way, I meant that... Well I'll make an example based on my first 2 or 3 tries of C&C 3 Multiplayer:

Yeah yeah yeah

That might be fun for some people, but for me it was like everyone had just decided the best way to play games was to follow one of two strategies.

RUSH

Build lots of resources and SPAM

Ok, whatever..

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-21 12:29:30

I've been thinking about it for a while now and I'm wondering if you'll be able to play a campaign as orks or eldar or just as Space Marines. I think playing as Eldar would be interesting as there kind of the opposite to Space Marines, the same goes for Orks (I don't know how'd you be able to think up strategies when you have a swarm of troops)

Also I bet that Imperial Guard will be the first expansion pack seeing as they were the first for the Original Dawn of War and they would be quite fun to play as (Low-Health low damage infantry? Very careful planning required).

And what is a RTT?

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-21 12:35:17

At 12/21/08 12:29 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: And what is a RTT?

It stands for Real Time Tactical. (or Tactics)

It's basically an RTS, but without basebuilding and heavily reduced micro management.

You're given a set amount of points (usually money) to buy units with at the start of a match, and sometimes you can upgrade their armour and weapons, but it'll cost you.

At the minute, the only example I can think of is the Total War series.

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-22 10:10:43

At 12/21/08 12:35 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: It stands for Real Time Tactical. (or Tactics)

It's basically an RTS, but without basebuilding and heavily reduced micro management.

You're given a set amount of points (usually money) to buy units with at the start of a match, and sometimes you can upgrade their armour and weapons, but it'll cost you.

There was a game called Praetorians..in that game, you had a fixed amount of units at the start of a match and you had to win using only them, with some occasional reinforcements coming along the way...
Basicaly, l think that RTT's suck.Bad.But it's just my opinion...

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-22 10:11:43

At 12/21/08 12:35 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: At the minute, the only example I can think of is the Total War series.

But l still like Total War...

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-22 10:16:03

Why is this not in C&C??

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-22 15:01:06

At 12/22/08 10:28 AM, DarkMana wrote:
At 12/21/08 12:35 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: It's basically an RTS, but without basebuilding and heavily reduced micro management.
Are you sure you don't mean reduced macromanagement?
Micromanagement would be crucial in a game of all units.

Aye, thanks for correcting me.

At 12/22/08 10:10 AM, HeavyTank wrote: There was a game called Praetorians..in that game, you had a fixed amount of units at the start of a match and you had to win using only them, with some occasional reinforcements coming along the way...

NEVER FUCKING REMIND ME OF PRAETORIANS.

I have it right next to me on one of my shelves.

It's just sitting there, taunting me with the 30 pounds sterling spent on it and 4 hours of a young boy's life because he was too stupid to read a fucking review before he bought that atrocity.

Never again.

Basicaly, l think that RTT's suck.Bad.But it's just my opinion...

I think that they rectify some flaws of RTSs in exchange for other flaws.

Example:
No more is the winner the one who builds the strongest readily available units and sends them into their opponents base at the start of the round...

Now it's more of a case of who spams heavy cavalry and stays away from spearmen.

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2008-12-23 03:52:48

At 12/22/08 03:01 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote:
NEVER FUCKING REMIND ME OF PRAETORIANS.

I have it right next to me on one of my shelves.

It's just sitting there, taunting me with the 30 pounds sterling spent on it and 4 hours of a young boy's life because he was too stupid to read a fucking review before he bought that atrocity.

Lol..luckily l got it for free with a PC magazine so l didn't cry for the lost money, just for the lost time of my life :P
Oh, and Sirbobsalot2?Do you see that reviews are important?Huh?HUH?

Never again.
I think that they rectify some flaws of RTSs in exchange for other flaws.

Example:
No more is the winner the one who builds the strongest readily available units and sends them into their opponents base at the start of the round...

That's why base defenses exist..

Now it's more of a case of who spams heavy cavalry and stays away from spearmen.

Hm

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-18 04:26:21

Got any intresting news?

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-18 07:15:01

At 1/18/09 04:26 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Got any intresting news?

Yes actually :D

In the campaign you command 4 out of 6 squads these are:

Scouts: Stealthy troops who can get upgraded with demolitions to blow things up, attack while stealthed and get Sniper rifles.

Standard Marines: A standard 4 man squad armed with bolters, I think they can also be upgraded with a Missle-Launcher or something "Heavy".

Devastators: These guys work like machine guns did in CoH, they need to be facing the right direction to fire, and it takes them a moment to set up, but once there ready they destroy anyone stupid enough to get in the way.

Assualt Marines: Jet pack using close combat freaks, they use there jump packs to leap really far, land on an enemy squad and slaughter them.

Commander: If you've player an MMO then the best way to describe the commander is that he is a "tank", he smashes pretty much everything in his way and has some good special abilites.

*Secret*

In the campaign you pick which battle you want to fight, though you have to do all the "quest" battles and then you'll have to do a few non-quest battles to get to the next chapter.

The best way to describe the games campaign is Warcraft 3's campaign (small bunch of units lead by and awesome hero) with the ability to choose each chapter's battles in any order.

Multiplayer: For those who love the idea of following the same build order again and again and again and again and again and again you'll be pleased to here that the Multiplayer has a bigger squad cap, resources AND bases/turrets!

Dawn of War 2 is released in the UK on the 27th of March and scored 82% in PC Gamer.

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-18 07:24:17

The secret unit is actually terminators, who are either assault (good in melee) or standard (Good at range).

Also Dawn of War 2 The Offical Website has lots of information.

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-19 08:25:02

At 1/18/09 07:15 AM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: In the campaign you command 4 out of 6 squads these are:

Scouts: Stealthy troops who can get upgraded with demolitions to blow things up, attack while stealthed and get Sniper rifles.

boink boink boink boink

Standard Marines: A standard 4 man squad armed with bolters, I think they can also be upgraded with a Missle-Launcher or something "Heavy".

we make good team!

Commander: If you've player an MMO then the best way to describe the commander is that he is a "tank", he smashes pretty much everything in his way and has some good special abilites.

Right..like the standard MMO warrior...

*Secret*

The best way to describe the games campaign is Warcraft 3's campaign (small bunch of units lead by and awesome hero) with the ability to choose each chapter's battles in any order.

Hey, l said that first!

Multiplayer:

I dunno, l have the feeling that multi will suck..

Dawn of War 2 is released in the UK on the 27th of March and scored 82% in PC Gamer.

What about europe?

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-19 13:36:36

At 1/19/09 08:25 AM, HeavyTank wrote: Hey, l said that first!

Plagiarism isn't a crime! It's the sincerest form of flattery

Multiplayer:
I dunno, l have the feeling that multi will suck..

Think Dawn of war, now make the graphics better, more team based and add the CoH cover system.

Now you have the Multiplayer :)

What about europe?

Likely to be around the same time, I doubt it will be more than a week later/quicker.

Also Imperial Guard are in the campaign! (at least, according to my "sources") Which makes this game 5% more Awesome

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-20 08:21:03

At 1/19/09 01:36 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: Plagiarism isn't a crime! It's the sincerest form of flattery

lol

Think Dawn of war, now make the graphics better, more team based and add the CoH cover system.

Now you have the Multiplayer :)

Do l have to remind you that l didn't play a single minute of multi in DoW even if l had the original copies of all DoW games?

Likely to be around the same time, I doubt it will be more than a week later/quicker.

Great

Also Imperial Guard are in the campaign! (at least, according to my "sources") Which makes this game 5% more Awesome

Imperial guard sucks when compared to DA ORKZ!

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-25 02:12:05

WOHOO beta is in 2 days!
:D:D:D:D!
Sirbobsalot2, can you please link to the page where we can download it?

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-25 08:53:52

At 1/25/09 02:12 AM, HeavyTank wrote: WOHOO beta is in 2 days!
D:D:D:D!
Sirbobsalot2, can you please link to the page where we can download it?

Just go onto steam, then the store and its at the bottom of the news page/releases OR you can go to coming soon.

Also this is the MULTIPLAYER beta, so you are basically playing DoW with better graphics more abilities and tyranids.

(Back from the dead!)

BBS Signature

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-26 05:15:08

At 1/25/09 08:53 AM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: Just go onto steam, then the store and its at the bottom of the news page/releases OR you can go to coming soon.

OK

Also this is the MULTIPLAYER beta, so you are basically playing DoW with better graphics more abilities and tyranids.

ONE DAY LEFT!

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-26 05:22:01

At 12/21/08 12:35 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote:

World in Conflict works on a similar system.

Response to The Dawn Of War Ii Thread 2009-01-26 07:50:34

Good game, played a few matches with Space Marines.

What suprises me is, despite Company of Heroes' high avarage skill level, there are tons of horrible players on DOW2. They don't capture anything, just tech up build a bunch of tanks and suicide them into the enemy base.

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature