00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Draw and Capture on Video!

7,557 Views | 70 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-04 20:37:56

Inspired by one of JohnnyUtahs, news posts, I thought it'd be a good idea for users to draw and show video of them actually drawing!

Many users wonder how others draw, what techniques they use, and basically just how they get to the final product. Now, users can draw, post their images, and show just exactly how they did it! This will hopefully help people improve their skills and create better works of art. You may either post your own work, or comment on others

In Johnny's thread, he uses something called Snapz Pro X, which is used on Macs. For those who use Windows, I'm currently trying out Camtasia. It's only a 30 day trial, and I'm sure there's more screen capturing software out there as well.

Simply start off with a blank document (on any program, such as Photoshop, Flash, MSPaint [if drawn well], etc), start recording, finish your image, upload the video to any video uploading site, and include the finished picture in your post here!

RULES:

1. Current Art Forum Rules apply.
2. Put forth some effort! Anyone who obviously hasn't will have their post deleted and they will be banned.
3. You must include BOTH a link to the video AND include your final image in this thread if you're participating.
4. If you wish to comment, do so respectfully while providing your own input/ advice.

That should do it! To start off, I'll simply post my finished image, link to the video, and provide a small description:

A simple image done to try and relearn Photoshop. The image took about an hour, but is sped up to 700%. Most of the time was messing with some of the tools, erasing mistakes, or ctrl + z'ing like a mad man. I also recommend submitting your work with music. This first run through was a test, so I didn't add any music to the mix.

Link to Video

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-04 21:57:16

Excellent! ...like mnwfi's speedpaint thread, except in flash! Dunno why it never occurred to anyone to do this before... or maybe it did and I just didn't see it! Anyway... great idea... looking forward to seeing what and how people work!

yeah, I'm looking at you e-m-b-r-i-o!! ;)

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-04 22:16:29

Any suggestions for recording? I'd use Hypercam but it makes MASSIVE files.
Compression would make it really suck. And go figure I just made a drawing, but forgot to record it -.-

I'll post the result, but I'll make sure to record it next time.
-Matt

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-04 23:20:05

For those of you looking for a free screen record software to use for this thread then Camstudio is a good choice for you.

You can record in AVI video format or SWF flash format to upload to even Newgrounds!

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 00:49:23

At 12/4/08 09:57 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Excellent! ...like mnwfi's speedpaint thread, except in flash! Dunno why it never occurred to anyone to do this before... or maybe it did and I just didn't see it! Anyway... great idea... looking forward to seeing what and how people work!

yeah, I'm looking at you e-m-b-r-i-o!! ;)

I'm not aware of totally free mac software for this, but snaps pro x does have a free trial. unfortunately it does write "TRIAL" or something in big ass letters on top of your video if you were to do one, so everybody be forewarned.

Tom and I have been working on something hmmm????

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 00:53:15

I'm not aware of totally free mac software for this, but snaps pro x does have a free trial. unfortunately it does write "TRIAL" or something in big ass letters on top of your video if you were to do one, so everybody be forewarned.

MAC Is pretty cool but its sorta limited to certian things I'm a Vista Guy but in Utahs case hes pretty much covered Media Arts Wise Flash, recorders you name it arent we all What?

Federation Of Russia

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 02:08:23

ha, I'd love to do one of these... if only for giving me a reason to do something

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 06:33:18

Oh yes, I do hate that about "cams" they put the stupid box at the top.

If you have the box at the top, you can always just select a little bit more then u planned, put the video in a software like After Effects, and crop it out. That's what I usually do.

I also found a trial of the SmartNotebook software, it includes a camera with no "trial" on it. I'm not sure if the camera is part of the trial or not, but it seems to work fine.
-Matt

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 15:11:33

At 12/5/08 12:49 AM, JohnnyUtah wrote:

Well Johnny Todays your lucky Day

Go Here For some Mac Skins ;3

http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/inde x.php?sort=date&id=&page=1

And Go Here If you want to Update some Desktop Icons ;3

http://interfacelift.com/icons-mac/

Federation Of Russia

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 16:15:57

More screen capturing software:
CamStudio

If you're having problems with Windows movie maker you can get Virtual dub (Windows only):
VirtualDub

Transcoder: MediaCoder

I'd recommend watching Sycra.

No your not meant to understand.

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 16:23:02

At 12/4/08 09:57 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Excellent! ...like mnwfi's speedpaint thread, except in flash!

isn't this photoshop?

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 17:49:50

At 12/5/08 04:23 PM, Fleshlight wrote:
At 12/4/08 09:57 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Excellent! ...like mnwfi's speedpaint thread, except in flash!
isn't this photoshop?

huh?

mnwfi = photoshop
johnnyutah = flash

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 18:07:55

At 12/5/08 05:49 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
isn't this photoshop?
huh?

mnwfi = photoshop
johnnyutah = flash

he means SAMURAI drew his character in PS not in Flash.....
I am doing one in both Flash and Sketchbook Pro...

NEW DPI STUDIOS ART BOOK CAMPAIGN

CHECK IT

COME LOOK>> BUY A BOOK :)

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 18:15:29

At 12/5/08 06:07 PM, e-m-b-r-i-o wrote:
isn't this photoshop?
huh?

mnwfi = photoshop
johnnyutah = flash

yup, and i think i remember frozensheep making a thread for recording flash drawings. (or maybe that was ms paint)

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 18:16:34

At 12/5/08 06:07 PM, e-m-b-r-i-o wrote:
isn't this photoshop?
huh?

mnwfi = photoshop
johnnyutah = flash

oh! lawl!! I get it now! Thanks for clearing that up... and for giving me something to look forward to! ;D

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 19:03:29

Did soemone Say Macs I Heard right lol

Federation Of Russia

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 21:56:35

I'll throw something into this thread once that recording thing finishes installing.

any suggestions while I'm waiting?

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-05 23:50:23

At 12/5/08 09:56 PM, tmkunt wrote: I'll throw something into this thread once that recording thing finishes installing.

any suggestions while I'm waiting?

I donno just draw something or do a PhotoShop this is the Art Fourm Section anyways Buddy :D

Federation Of Russia

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-06 01:20:34

At 12/5/08 11:50 PM, Labusch wrote: I donno just draw something or do a PhotoShop this is the Art Fourm Section anyways Buddy :D

i was looking for a suggestion on what exactly to draw, but um yeah whatever

I did a quick sketch of a very unfortunate looking gentleman

link

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-06 02:12:44

At 12/6/08 01:20 AM, tmkunt wrote:
At 12/5/08 11:50 PM, Labusch wrote: I donno just draw something or do a PhotoShop this is the Art Fourm Section anyways Buddy :D

That's pretty good I'm more workign towards drawing like Johnny Utah you know but with origional characters and such series that sorta thing

Federation Of Russia

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-06 03:37:24

At 12/6/08 01:20 AM, tmkunt wrote:

link

I like how you do the main colours first before drawing the lines and details; so organized, unlike me o_0 But maybe add more solid lines to give the face some real detail, now it looks like a blurry-patchy-oilpainting kind of drawing.

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-06 13:06:07

here's the black and white version of my "flash" drawing... I will color it later... I decided to break it up into stages because I can't compress my movies properly.... I am dumb, I guess... here is a link to the vid for the drawing process.. ( It's 9 fuggin megs... ahhahaahha )

ALIEN MOVIE

NEW DPI STUDIOS ART BOOK CAMPAIGN

CHECK IT

COME LOOK>> BUY A BOOK :)

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-06 13:07:49

link

Loving The Beatles in the videos. Good painting too :)

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-06 13:33:24

At 12/6/08 03:37 AM, SkySausage wrote: I like how you do the main colours first before drawing the lines and details; so organized, unlike me o_0 But maybe add more solid lines to give the face some real detail, now it looks like a blurry-patchy-oilpainting kind of drawing.

yeah I was just trying to show how I define forms, not really make an attractive sketch. but adding lines is kind of a cheap way to add detail; I'll make something later that shows a better method :)

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-14 17:22:59

first attempt

I already posted the pic in my thread, but what the Hell....

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-14 18:25:33

Great stuff so far!!

BMK said he wasn't going to draw anymore until I made something, so I give you...
my freehand circle for bmk!

haha!! :P (I always do stuff counter-clockwise... is that normal?)

I'm gonna try to do something 'for real' ...now that I have the 30-day trial installed ;) We;ll see how that goes! lol

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-14 19:15:44

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-16 22:16:31

At 12/5/08 07:03 PM, Labusch wrote:

aw... oh well. i'll still try it out once i get my tablet

BBS Signature

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-16 22:23:44

I've tried to do these 3 times now. first the video captiured was corrupted. second video was to big to be edited. When i fixed the settings and everything worked the IMAGE I PAINTED got totaly worthless.

I might do another. but not today.

Response to Draw and Capture on Video! 2008-12-16 22:26:51

At 12/16/08 10:16 PM, sucho wrote: aw... oh well. i'll still try it out once i get my tablet

YAY!!! :D

At 12/16/08 10:23 PM, LaserKarl wrote: I've tried to do these 3 times now.

boo :(

I might do another. but not today.

YAY!!!