00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why does everyone hate hip hop?

2,171 Views | 46 Replies

Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:43:41

I always hear so much hate for hip hop, whether it be friends or just people in general. So I always recommend at least three albums for those who hate it so much:

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tan (36 Chambers)
Nas - Illmatic
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords

Once my friends spin these, they are intrigued to dig deeper, especially into the older stuff. I think all the resentment for hip hop comes from the pop rap auto-tuned garbage that is being played ad nauseam everywhere (i.e. T-Pain). As a matter of fact, I'm going to give you guys a couple of tracks you gotta listen to whether you like rap or not and tell me what you think (just to name a few):

2Pac - Dear Mama
Geto Boys - Mind Playin' Tricks on Me
Kanye West - Through the Wire
Madvillain - Accordian
Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

Obama wins at life.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:44:29

it lacks rhythm

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:45:11

i bet it has something to do with those colored folks

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:45:15

At 11/27/08 12:44 AM, DanTheBard wrote: it lacks rhythm

You're a dumbass. That's all hip hop is.

"Earth is defenseless but one chosen dolphin can save us all." - Ecco the Dolphin

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:45:20

Please do not refer to Kayne West as "Hip Hop."

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:46:45

At 11/27/08 12:45 AM, wwwyzzerdd wrote: Please do not refer to Kayne West as "Hip Hop."

The old Kanye anyway. The new one really goes against my argument.

Obama wins at life.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:47:49

At 11/27/08 12:45 AM, wwwyzzerdd wrote: Please do not refer to Kayne West as "Hip Hop."

Why not? He's actually got some really good songs. Or are you just hating him because it's cool to hate mainstream rappers?

Sig by madknt

Sig pinkified by jackmorrison

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:48:39

People hate hip hop because of all of the shit that comes out today. Me, I love hip hop. Not the fake shit, the good shit. Like N.W.A, RUN D.M.C AND KRS ONE. all of them and any asshole that doesn't like hip hop can go fuck themselves.

PSN: BLADEZGUY

Xbox live: FatlessPuddle0

Army Rangers

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:48:52

Even greats like Nas have released brainless garbage every once in a while. I can't exactly relate to the themes and stories found in a hip hop songs because I'm white and grew up in the suburbs, I just can't bring myself to gleam anything from that. That and I detest slang which you can't get away from regardless of who you listen too.

That said some of it is alright. Lupe Fiasco, Nas, Rakim, Royce ... stuff like that. I don't look down on it or the people who listen to it and I don't question whether or not it's actually music it's just not for me really.

?

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:48:56

At 11/27/08 12:45 AM, djmrules wrote:
At 11/27/08 12:44 AM, DanTheBard wrote: it lacks rhythm
You're a dumbass. That's all hip hop is.

no RnB is rhythm hip hop is all zip bop boodity bop

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:51:46

No one is better than the Ruler.
La di da di, we like to party.

Why does everyone hate hip hop?

:/

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:52:57

I'm a fan of modern Australian hip-hop.
I can understand why it's not to some people's tastes, but to say it's all shit is a bit of a blind statement.

Bliss N Eso- Sea Is Rising
Drapht- Falling
Hilltop Hoods- The Hard Road
Phrase- Clockwork

Yep. :D

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 00:55:48

Well I'm from Texas so all I listen to is Z -RO, Trae, UGK, Slim Thug, Lil Keke, Chamillionaire, Paul Wall, Charlie Boy, Fat Pat, Big Moe, Aztek, Lil Flip, ect. I'm not really into the "new generation" type of Hip - Hop.

R. I. P. Pimp - C

DXsamurai......

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:08:57

At 11/27/08 12:55 AM, MrNiceGuytm wrote: Well I'm from Texas so all I listen to is Z -RO, Trae, UGK, Slim Thug, Lil Keke, Chamillionaire, Paul Wall, Charlie Boy, Fat Pat, Big Moe, Aztek, Lil Flip, ect. I'm not really into the "new generation" type of Hip - Hop.

I'm from Texas too (San Antonio)!

Rub your head and do the southside.

Obama wins at life.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:13:00

At 11/27/08 12:52 AM, WritersBlock wrote: Phrase- Clockwork

Thank you for introducing me to this!! Unbelievable...

Obama wins at life.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:13:12

It just doesn't suit my tastes, for the most part.

I don't get the kind of feeling from rap/hip hop that I do from the music I listen to. I mean, I'll give stuff a try, just for the hell of it. I like being open-minded and try (most) things at least once.

But hip hop doesn't do it for me. I'm sure I haven't delved deep in it, but eh. Doesn't make me flow the way Muse does, or the utter power I feel when I listen to Rammstein, or how I seem to be the music the way Econoline Crush does.

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}

A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:15:44

i don't like repetitive beats, which may seem strange since half my playlist is techno. Infected Mushroom does know how to make it seem a little less repetitive.

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:18:21

At 11/27/08 01:08 AM, TheGrungeKing wrote: I'm from Texas too (San Antonio)!

Rub your head and do the southside.

I'm from Galveston, the 409.

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:36:40

I am also heavily confounded by the sudden hatred of hip hop and rap. not 5 or 10 years ago you crazy white kids used to love the shit out of it, now the "in" thing is to hate it. I chalk it up to a new generation and racism becoming popularized once again on the internet. But mostly I think the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of cable music channels and their playing of the worst form of hip hop, what I like to call "player rap." Unlike gangsta rap which glorified poverty, living in the projects and trying to hustle cash, player rap is all about being rich, surrounded by bitches, and spending money on status symbols. Basically it's all an episode of CRIBS set to a cheesy beat.

The rap I listen to is all old stuff. On my compilation CD's in the car I've got nothing but people like Slick Rick, Kurtis Blow, Big L, Pac, Gang Starr, etc., and more "recent" stuff like Wu Tang, Twista, Reakwon, acts like that who just put out enjoyable music without getting completely lost int he materialism. Just like most genres of music I find that 95% of the current hip hop is garbage, but every once in a while a little nugget of decency comes around. I kinda draw the line in the late 90's/early 2000's. All the best of the best are either dead or unrecognizable, like Snoop Dogg who justs sits back, high as shit, and waits for people to approach him to be on their club-friendly pop track to boost sales and radio playability as opposed to making his own records these days.

The last good rap album, pound-for-pound, was Blackout by Meth and Red. Not one bad song on the whole thing, you can listen to it front to back and never have to hit skip track. It's too bad Method Man only comes around as often as Saturn.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:37:28

I don't like it mostly because I find it boring and manufactured.

Fancy Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:38:52

Liquid Swords.
good man

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:38:59

Because mainstream Hip-Hop and Rap is drowned in so much ethnic and socially taboo stereotype it's not even funny.

Also the fact that artist like 50 Cent and Kayne West are so god damn pretentious that their sheer ego makes my brain clot a little.

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:40:07

At 11/27/08 12:43 AM, TheGrungeKing wrote:
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tan (36 Chambers)
Nas - Illmatic
GZA/Genius - Liquid Swords
2Pac - Dear Mama
Geto Boys - Mind Playin' Tricks on Me
Kanye West - Through the Wire
Madvillain - Accordian
Wu-Tang Clan - C.R.E.A.M.

ALL of this is shitty mainstream gangsta rap where the only thing they talk about is sticking their penises in a diamond and spending millionsof dollars of their new hummers. I personally love underground hip hop, but can't stand any of this Wu-Tang 2Pac Lil Wayne shit!

Just my 2 cents, n*gga

Also, warlab.com

GAY FAGS AR TEH HOTNEST!

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:40:37

Hip Hop is alright but raping is what I hate most! I hate The rap music videos they have to much women in the video what are they pimps?!

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:49:25

At 11/27/08 01:40 AM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Hip Hop is alright but raping is what I hate most!

Why are you such a child molester then?

GAY FAGS AR TEH HOTNEST!

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:49:53

most people on the BBS are whiter then cream cheese.

mmm, cream cheese...

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:55:32

i don't hate hip hop...i do prefer other genre's over it though, but i can tolerate some hip hop music

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:56:12

At 11/27/08 01:40 AM, GoatFactory wrote:
At 11/27/08 12:43 AM, TheGrungeKing wrote:
ALL of this is shitty mainstream gangsta rap where the only thing they talk about is sticking their penises in a diamond and spending millionsof dollars of their new hummers. I personally love underground hip hop, but can't stand any of this Wu-Tang 2Pac Lil Wayne shit!

Since when was Madvillain, GZA and the Geto Boys mainstream? Seriously? How many people can you walk up to and ask them if they like any of those guys without them having their eyes glaze over? You didn't even give the videos a try to listen to the lyricism, I can bet you on that.

Obama wins at life.

BBS Signature

Response to Why does everyone hate hip hop? 2008-11-27 01:59:43

At 11/27/08 01:58 AM, Sekhem wrote: I like rap, but Obama sucks.

I'd say that either one of presidential candidates weren't all that great, I'm just glad that the lesser of the two evils won.

Obama wins at life.

BBS Signature