00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,508 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 01:18:23

At 8/26/14 01:16 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Unfortunately I've been a busy busy boy these past couple months. Also it doesn't help that this site is a festering cesspool I increasingly want nothing to do with.

i can certainly relate

But I'd totally be down to watch If... and chat about it this week if y'all are still interested.

i did see if... and took notes a few weeks ago so i'd still be up for a discussion

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 11:08:23

I watched Incendies. Sad and messed up movie, but quite good. I wonder why it had to take place in some unnamed/made up country, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 11:34:35

Would anyone be interested in watching the film all at once via a live stream or whatever?

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 12:09:56

At 8/26/14 11:34 AM, Jackho wrote: Would anyone be interested in watching the film all at once via a live stream or whatever?

that would help make sure i actually see the film and don't slack off but if we had to socialize through a livestream chat, it could be distracting

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-27 10:12:06

Arrow Video are doing limited edition, custom designed Withnail & I blu-ray sets, and I am ejaculating myself inside out.

You choose one of 4 covers, one of 15 quotes from the film (although a lack of "Stop saying that Withnail, of course he's the fucking farmer!" is a disgrace) and you get your name printed on it too.

http://arrowvideo.com/withnailandi/

They're gorgeous. I've gone for this one, with "We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here. And we want them now."

Cinema Club

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-30 05:25:48

I'm still debating weather I should go and see Lucy on Wednesday or not. Any opinions?

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-30 14:53:43

Just saw Magic in the Moonlight earlier this week. As usual Woody Allen creates another charmingly fun movie from beginning to end. If you like Woody Allen \go see it

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-30 20:04:02

At 8/30/14 04:28 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://confusedmatthew.com/matthews-marvel-madness.html

Good God, Confused Matthew is bitching about the Marvel movies AGAIN!

We all get it, dude. YOU.DON'T.LIKE.MARVEL!

Nobody is making you watch these fucking movies! You're not even a real film critic!

confused matthew is one of my favorite internet reviewers, since he actually reviews movies instead of just riffing on them like the nostalgia critic and whatnot. i don't agree with everything he says but i share his dislike for some popular films like the lion king and a nightmare before christmas. i also thought that marvel video was pretty on point.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-31 13:18:19

Saw As Above, So Below. It was actually alright. It's a found-footage horror film set in the Paris catacombs, but the first 20 minutes or so felt more like a Tomb Raider (or Uncharted, or The Last Crusade etc.) homage with a super smart, multi-lingual female archaeologist protagonist searching for the philosopher's stone. This part was fantastic, really fun to watch. It's been so long since I've seen a good adventure film and I think this could have been a great one. The lead girl was great (she's all that carries the film basically) and the chemistry between her and her boyfriend was way above the relationships of most other horror films. In hindsight this part got me way too excited, it had me expecting an Indiana Jones film that gradually descends into madness

Of course then they introduce four more borderline redshirt characters you don't give a shit about and actually get to the catacombs, and the whole thing goes to wank from there. It's all jumpscares and none of them work, always too predictable and often things you'd have seen exactly before if you've seen many horror films. There were several claustrophobic moments that were scary without trying to be but they didn't really take advantage of that.

The last act was absolutely piss weak. It's like they were just crossing goals off a producer's horror movie checklist when they realized the kill count was zero and we'd lost all focus. Characters start getting killed off in the most arbitrary and uncreative ways. They start hinting that the catacombs make you face your fears and regrets, and at one point they literally crawl through what's said to be the entrance to hell. I was expecting shit to get crazy but it's just more caves, still without anything overly creative or interesting. They don't do anything with the regret aspect either, two or three characters have a traumatic event in their backstory that comes to an obvious conclusion. Then the ending just happens, really neither open ended nor conclusive enough to be satisfying.

So yh I wanted to like it but it was pretty much Wasted Potential: The Motion Picture. I feel it has the heart and soul of a great movie in there, though not necessarily a great horror movie. It has some fantastic ideas but it's severely lacking in execution and creativity. Overall I'd give it a 5.334 out of G major.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-02 16:26:40

I watched Attack the Block. Good movie.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-03 23:50:57

I saw Wristcutters: a Love Story on Cinemax. I hadn't heard anything about it before. Pretty neat movie.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-04 01:04:18

At 9/3/14 11:50 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I saw Wristcutters: a Love Story on Cinemax. I hadn't heard anything about it before. Pretty neat movie.

i remember seeing ads for that on imdb a few years ago and thinking it was some sort of adultswim program

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-06 00:43:21

I saw You're Next about a month ago, it was pretty good. Nothing revolutionary, but a fun take on the home-invasion genre with a slight twist with the protagonist, it's a fun movie, not to be taken very seriously. Would definitely recommend.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-08 12:42:11

So has movie of the week ended? I never participated but I I liked adding some of the movies to my long list of movies that I might watch one day.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-08 17:32:24

At 9/4/14 01:04 AM, Natick wrote:
At 9/3/14 11:50 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I saw Wristcutters: a Love Story on Cinemax. I hadn't heard anything about it before. Pretty neat movie.
i remember seeing ads for that on imdb a few years ago and thinking it was some sort of adultswim program

There's nothing Adult Swim-like about it. It's more like one of those "quirky" indie dramedy type movies, as well as kind of a road movie. You might say it has somewhat of a Michel Gondry feel to it in a way. I don't often pay much mind to these kind of movies, but I liked it. I'll probably keep it on the DVR.

At 9/8/14 12:42 PM, Jolly wrote: So has movie of the week ended? I never participated but I I liked adding some of the movies to my long list of movies that I might watch one day.

Dr-Worm hasn't been active.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-10 22:50:20

I watched City of Life and Death.

Fucking hell.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-11 23:40:59

At 9/10/14 10:50 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched City of Life and Death.

Fucking hell.

jesus. been trying to build up the balls to see men behind the sun but i'm still not ready to be that depressed

way out on the other hand, i saw singin' in the rain for the first time in cinema history and liked it a lot more than i thought i would. the key element of a studio having to adhere with the talkies innovation fit with a strong theme i've been studying of artists and industries having to evolve or die. we saw the same theme when we started off with sunset boulevard, albeit that was a lot more harsh. the musicals numbers may not have advanced the story or character arcs but they're still entertaining nonetheless and i usually don't like musicals.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-13 13:21:29

Decided that I wanted to watch the Batman films. The Dark Knight is the only Batman film I can recall seeing more than once. All the rest I either hadn't seen or have vague memories of watching them years ago.

So far I've sat through Batman (1989), Batman Returns, Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Really enjoyed them all. I think Returns and Forever were probably my favorites. Jack Nicholson's Joker wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped. He just felt very... Jack Nicholson, I guess. Didn't hate Batman and Robin as much as most other people seem to either. Definitely the weakest of the four films but I still enjoyed it. I just thought the ice skating scene was a bit shit. There was zero attempt made to hide the fact that they were actually using roller skates.

Still have Batman (1966) and the Dark Knight trilogy to get through now.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-14 12:13:22

I actually got around to watching Captain Phillips. Man, that ending. Good movie.

And I finally saw the Raid 2. Yep, instant favorite, one of the best movies ever. I dunno if I like this one or the first one more. Both are so damn good.

At 9/11/14 11:40 PM, Natick wrote:
At 9/10/14 10:50 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched City of Life and Death.

Fucking hell.
jesus.

It's just awful.

I mean not an awful movie. It's a good movie. But yeah, awful. It seems like that part of history is not adressed as much as you'd expect something so terrible would be. The Wushe incident, too. BTW, Seediq Bale is a really good movie. Check that one out, too.

At 9/13/14 01:21 PM, Dean wrote: Batman Forever

Blech

Batman and Robin.

BLECH!

Still have Batman (1966) and the Dark Knight trilogy to get through now.

Just don't expect TDKR to live up to TDK. Also, the ending is really stupid. That's all I'll say about it.

Don't forget the Dark Knight Returns part 1 and 2. Those were even better than the Tim Burton movies, IMO. Same with Under the Red Hood. And it doesn't star Batman, but Justice League: the Flash Point Paradox is one of the best DC related movies ever. Gotham Knight was also a pretty good anthology, sort of like the Animatrix, but for Batman.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-14 17:36:29

At 9/14/14 12:13 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Don't forget the Dark Knight Returns part 1 and 2. Those were even better than the Tim Burton movies, IMO. Same with Under the Red Hood. And it doesn't star Batman, but Justice League: the Flash Point Paradox is one of the best DC related movies ever. Gotham Knight was also a pretty good anthology, sort of like the Animatrix, but for Batman.

These are animated films, right? I'll maybe have to check some of them out. Recently I've just had this urge to educate myself on Batman for some reason. Always considered him my favorite super hero but really I've never seen/read much of his stuff before.

I watch Batman Begins today and really enjoyed it. My only real gripe with it is that it lacked a typical super villain. Scarecrow felt a bit under utilized and not quite as terrifying as I'd hoped. Liam Neeson was just a normal looking guy in a suit. I needed something a bit more outrageous. Especially considering I'd just watched the 1966 film yesterday, which was also great but sort of just felt like an extended episode of the TV series.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-14 18:58:50

At 9/14/14 05:36 PM, Dean wrote: These are animated films, right? I'll maybe have to check some of them out. Recently I've just had this urge to educate myself on Batman for some reason. Always considered him my favorite super hero but really I've never seen/read much of his stuff before.

Do NOT watch them before reading the comics. They're okay, but the comic is phenomenal and it's better to read that version unspoiled, then watch the movies. It's only 4 issues so it isn't a long read.

The animated Year One is good too, but same deal.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-14 19:00:27

At 9/14/14 05:36 PM, Dean wrote:
At 9/14/14 12:13 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
These are animated films, right? I'll maybe have to check some of them out.

Not all the DC animated movies are great, but those particular ones, I'll take over most of the live action stuff aside from TDK. Not to say Begins and the Burton movies weren't great and Rises was okay for the most part. But those would be closer to the top of my list.

Always considered him my favorite super hero but really I've never seen/read much of his stuff before.

Definitely one of my favorite western comic heroes. Can't say which is my absolute favorite, though, with Blade, Spawn, Wolverine, the Punisher etc.

I watch Batman Begins today and really enjoyed it. My only real gripe with it is that it lacked a typical super villain. Scarecrow felt a bit under utilized and not quite as terrifying as I'd hoped. Liam Neeson was just a normal looking guy in a suit. I needed something a bit more outrageous. Especially considering I'd just watched the 1966 film yesterday, which was also great but sort of just felt like an extended episode of the TV series.

It's been too long since I've watched Batman Begins. I ought to do that again. I remember when I was a kid thinking it would be so cool if they made a Batman movie with Scarecrow and then they actually did it. And I thought it was pretty cool how they did it. But the Joker and Harvey Dent are probably the best parts of the trilogy.

Also, speaking of Batman and Wolverine.

Cinema Club

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-14 19:07:34

At 9/14/14 06:58 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 9/14/14 05:36 PM, Dean wrote:
The animated Year One is good too, but same deal.

I thought Year One was fine, but honestly, I didn't like it as much as a lot of people did.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-14 19:32:43

At 9/14/14 06:58 PM, TheMaster wrote: The animated Year One is good too, but same deal.

Year One is one of the comics I have, but I remember finishing it and wondering what all the fuss was about. I didn't think it was anything special. I have The Long Halloween, Dark Victory and Knightfall waiting to be read as well. Just really been in the mood for some Batman recently. Really looking forward to the TV series being released on Blu-ray in November. Got a copy on pre-order.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-18 04:41:35

I'm not sure if I want to go and see, The Guest or A Walk Amongst The Tombstones.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-18 17:05:45

Saw Night Moves and A Most Wanted Man at the cinema today.

A Most Wanted Man is pretty solid spying guff. It's a John le Carre adaptation, and it's got Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his last roles, but it's still pretty standard stuff. Nothing remarkable, but you could do a lot worse. All very well done, but there's nothing you've not seen before in there. Managing to make "will a man sign a bit of paper" into an incredibly tense sequence is impressive, though.

I loved Night Moves. Latest film from Kelly Reichardt, who is definitely one of the best directors working today. Jesse Eisenberg is incredible in it, and it looks phenomenal. It has the same slow, introspective feel as Meek's Cutoff, which is the first Reichardt film I saw, and it works just as well here. The ending might put people off, though, heard the same murmurs of disapproval in the cinema after this finished I heard after Meek's Cutoff. Reichardt clearly isn't a director to watch if you're a fan of closure.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-21 05:51:09

Finally got around to watching Watchmen last night and I thought it was a really good film. I always said I was going to read the comics before I watched the film, but that didn't happen. I think I got about half way through the comics and it's been a while since I was last reading them. The film definitely felt like a really good adaption though. The casting seemed spot on. Actors really seemed to resemble their comic counterparts. Several of the scenes that I remember from the comics were portrayed identically. It felt like a proper adaption, not a film that as tinkered too much with the source material.

I think I'd consider this my favorite super hero film so far. It feels different to the typical super hero films I've seen. It's darker and more graphic for one thing, but the whole mood of the film just feels so different. The focus never really feels like it's on the hero's abilities. It's not your standard "we must save the city" plot but at the same time if kind of is.

I'm bad at describing it but would highly recommend.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-21 12:43:33

It's been ages since I last saw a film, so I decided to finally give The Fault in Our Stars a watch today.

Pretty good drama film overall I think. I've seen lots of these type of films lately, but I'd say this is one of the better ones within the genre. It's well written, it's well acted, the characters are likeable and I was moved by the ending.

Two things though: I don't really understand the Peter van Houten character (played by Willem Dafoe). He seemed very significant at first, but both scenes he was in were just a bit weird. Maybe he had a bigger role in the book? I don't know, but they might as well have left him out since Hazel didn't give him his time to tell his story anyway. Secondly, I felt like they really dragged out the drama a bit too much from about the 1 hour point to the ending. Two hours and fifteen minutes is just too long for a film like this in my opinion. They definitely could've trimmed it down by half an hour.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-21 20:27:04

I watched Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon. I had two problems with it. One was I didn't like the whole lizard man part of the plot. And the other was that a lot of the effects were pretty bad. Despite that, I quite liked it overall. It's been a while since I saw Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame, but I think I enjoyed that one more.

At 9/21/14 05:51 AM, Dean wrote: I think I'd consider this my favorite super hero film so far.

I liked Watchmen. I'd say my favorite comic book movies, though, are probably Blade, the Crow, the Dark Knight, and the Dark Knight Returns. If we're counting movies based on Japanese comics, that includes a few more like Tekkon Kinkreet, Vampire Hunter D and Oldboy (Korean movie, Japanese comic).

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-21 20:59:05

Toxic Avenger 2 was really retarded There was to much slap stick , unapologetic humour isn't really tongue and cheek.It was Much like watching a Saturday morning cartoon.