Be a Supporter!
123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 28th, 2014 @ 01:37 PM Reply

At 7/26/14 05:35 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: First pic of Wonder Woman.

Is she on the set of 300?

My first thoughts too exactly... xD

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
Marauderchief
Marauderchief
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Writer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 28th, 2014 @ 05:53 PM Reply

At 7/28/14 11:02 AM, TheMaster wrote: I see Legendary is doing a King Kong reboot alongside their Godzilla series.

Rematch when?

That would be funny to see king kong to jam a tree down godzillas fat ass...
Problem is idk how the fuck King Kong would get that big... In PeterJackson's King Kong he had a size limit.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 28th, 2014 @ 11:19 PM Reply

At 7/28/14 12:08 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 7/27/14 03:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/27/14 02:15 PM, Jackho wrote: I don't know anyone who actually liked them.
Hi.
Oh, you were being series. Fair enough. I spent most of my childhood watching action movies from the 80s and 90s yet I didn't enjoy either Expendables movies at all though. They just seem weak, both in comparison to classic action movies and today's shitfests, and I don't think intentionally raising the age rating would change that.

Well, while I grew up with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis and Lundgren, I also remain a big action fan today. I like martial arts films more, but I also quite enjoy a decent shoot 'em up kind of movie. And I was super excited to see Scott Adkins in the Expendables 2, with Undisputed 2 and 3 being among my all time favorite films. And his fight with Jason Statham was awesome, IMO, though it could have been a bit longer. That scene in the beginning, too "knock knock". And I thought the bit in the first one with Statham and Jet Li teaming up against Gary Daniels was cool, especially how Li broke his neck with that axe kick. That made me laugh and rewind it. Anyway, without being able to have R rated levels of violence, number 3 can't be the same.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 28th, 2014 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 7/28/14 11:19 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Well, while I grew up with Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis and Lundgren, I also remain a big action fan today. I like martial arts films more, but I also quite enjoy a decent shoot 'em up kind of movie. And I was super excited to see Scott Adkins in the Expendables 2, with Undisputed 2 and 3 being among my all time favorite films. And his fight with Jason Statham was awesome, IMO, though it could have been a bit longer. That scene in the beginning, too "knock knock". And I thought the bit in the first one with Statham and Jet Li teaming up against Gary Daniels was cool, especially how Li broke his neck with that axe kick. That made me laugh and rewind it. Anyway, without being able to have R rated levels of violence, number 3 can't be the same.

At first I thought I'd outgrown the genre, but I can still go back to classics like Terminator 2 or even stupid shit like The Last Action Hero and enjoy it so much more than The Expendables. I also loved The Raid and liked the new Judge Dredd.

Expendables is such a cool idea, I really wanted to love it but it just does nothing for me, whatever it is. The Statham & Li team scene you mentioned was a clear highlight but I remember the rest of the film being a bore.

Also iirc, Expendables 2 was shot as a PG film, then when they failed to get the rating they just digitally added in the gore. It's definitely a weird choice (who the hell is the demographic supposed to be?) but I still don't think it will change the film that much. We might even see an alternate home version with added gore.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 29th, 2014 @ 12:14 AM Reply

Yeah, I know about the added blood. They did more, though, adding in some gore as well. Good thing they changed it. As far as other scenes in the first one, the car chase with Jet Li climbing out onto the bed of the f100, the scene where Stallone and Statham are talking to the Hispanic chick and a bunch of guys show up in a truck amd Statham kills several of them with throwing knives, the part at the beginning when they rescue the hostages from the Somali pirates and pretty much the whole final battle were pretty good IMO.

Also, the Raid is one of my other favorite films of all time. Dredd is great, too. I hope they can make a sequel.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 29th, 2014 @ 01:07 AM Reply

At 7/26/14 09:35 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: I watched Burn. A documentary about the lives of Detroit firefighters as they deal with the high arson rate, and the general struggles of being a civil servant in a broke, dying city.

Pretty good. Kinda depressing.

Hard to believe that Detroit was actually a nice city to live in once. I wish I could have seen it in it's prime.

I saw that film, too, and really liked it. I'm actually thanked in the end credits because I pledged $25 to its successful Kickstarter project.

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 29th, 2014 @ 09:42 AM Reply

So Sharknado 2 is coming next month...

Seriously, I don't get it.

SYFY has been making movies like this for years now, and Sharknado really isn't any better or worse than any of them.

What's the big deal?

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 29th, 2014 @ 09:58 AM Reply

At 7/29/14 09:42 AM, SithCorduroy wrote: So Sharknado 2 is coming next month...

It's actually airing tomorrow. My bad.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 29th, 2014 @ 11:48 PM Reply

Dunno if it was posted here but there's a trailer out for Mad Max: Fury Road and it actually loosks pretty fucking rad

http://youtu.be/iO0jUAzOsV8

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 06:19 AM Reply

I watched The Kings of Summer yesterday. It's a coming-of-age film about some 15 year-olds who are sick of their parents and decide to built their own house in the woods.

I did not like it. I don't know what it is with this film, but nothing seemed to work.

It looked like it tried to be comical in a similar way to Moonrise Kingdom, but all of the humour fell flat. Most of the humour had to come from Moises Arias who plays Biaggo, but all he does is say and do weird things which aren't really funny. They're just weird.

Many characters in the film didn't seem believable or realistic. The majority of them looked like caricatures, which was also supposed to be comical I guess but it did not work for me. Many events in the film didn't seem realistic either, and the more dramatic moments didn't actually hit me due to the weird tone of the film.

It's just weakly written I think. It sort of hangs in between a quirky comedy and serious coming-of-age drama and it doesn't succeed either way in my opinion.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 11:09 AM Reply

You know, I was watching The Avengers again on tv and was surprised to find that it barely held my attention outside of the big action scene at the end.

This movie has no story whatsoever.

I liked it the first couple tmes, but now.....

I hope Age of Ultron has a narrative to go along with the action.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 12:44 PM Reply

So I've watched 6 of the 16 Hitchcock films in that set now and I think The Trouble With Harry has been my favourite so far. Probably a joint favourite with Rear Window.

The Trouble With Harry is just such a nice looking film the whole way through. The majority of scenes have such bright contrasting colours and is probably one of the most visually appealing films I've seen. The weird, slightly dark humour definitely adds a charm to it as well. Actually found myself laughing at a couple points that that rarely happens when I'm watching films alone. Would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

This Hitchcock set was definitely worth picking up too. Saboteur and Shadow of a Doubt weren't all that great but everything I've seen after those has been really good. Will continue to make my way through this set chronologically although it has some competition now that my Twin Peaks blu-ray set arrived. Want to watch through that again so that I can finally see Fire Walk With Me.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 7/30/14 06:19 AM, Auz wrote: I watched The Kings of Summer yesterday.

I actually liked this film quite a lot, but it's been too long since I've seen it for me to argue. iirc it's one of @Makeshift's favorites.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 04:06 PM Reply

At 7/30/14 03:54 PM, Jackho wrote:
iirc it's one of @Makeshift's favorites.

You recalled correctly.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 04:12 PM Reply

At 7/30/14 11:09 AM, SithCorduroy wrote: I liked it the first couple tmes, but now.....

First couple times? I've seen it once and it barely kept my attention even then. Downey Jr's charisma is all that held it together for me. I'm surprised how many Marvel films have come and gone with no sign of stopping given how flat the majority of them are.

I've seen all of "phase one" plus Iron Man 3, and of the lot Iron Man 1 was the only great one and Iron Man 2 probably comes next.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 04:58 PM Reply

At 7/30/14 04:06 PM, Makeshift wrote:
iirc it's one of @Makeshift's favorites.
You recalled correctly.

you wanna like

run us through why that is then

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 07:52 PM Reply

At 7/30/14 12:44 PM, Dean wrote: So I've watched 6 of the 16 Hitchcock films in that set now and I think The Trouble With Harry has been my favourite so far. Probably a joint favourite with Rear Window.

This reminds me, I picked up a box set of Hitchcock films a while ago and I still got to watch most of them.

Have you seen Rope yet? That's one of his lesser known ones I really liked. My favourites so far are Vertigo and also Rear Window.

I actually liked this film quite a lot, but it's been too long since I've seen it for me to argue. iirc it's one of @Makeshift's favorites.

Well, I have read mostly positive reviews for The Kings of Summer so I guess there must be something I'm missing or something I'm underappreciating. Or maybe it just doesn't click with me, I don't know.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 30th, 2014 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 7/30/14 06:19 AM, Auz wrote:
Well, I have read mostly positive reviews for The Kings of Summer so I guess there must be something I'm missing or something I'm underappreciating. Or maybe it just doesn't click with me, I don't know.

It didn't blow me away or anything, it's just a nice film. The idea of running away as a teenager is so universal and relatable, and I think they romanticized the fantasy just enough while also balancing it with the more serious familial relationships, and that of the two mains. Many of Biaggio's lines were just randomness for the sake of randomness without and real wit behind it but they got a good few laughs out of me anyway and I remember thinking about how real or genuine the rest of the dialogue felt.

It's kind of hard to explain but a lot of films with this kind of theme have this kind of perfect childhood that's not too far off, in that it feels like you could have been there, but at the same time it has enough baggage to be always relatable. I'll need to watch it again but I think Kings of Summer pretty much nailed that balance.

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 31st, 2014 @ 12:45 AM Reply

At 7/30/14 12:44 PM, Dean wrote: The Trouble With Harry is just such a nice looking film the whole way through. The majority of scenes have such bright contrasting colours and is probably one of the most visually appealing films I've seen. The weird, slightly dark humour definitely adds a charm to it as well. Actually found myself laughing at a couple points that that rarely happens when I'm watching films alone. Would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it.

this was the first hitchcock film i saw but i was 11 or 12 so i didn't really like it at the time. the only line that stuck with me was, "Coming home from Madagascar once we had a fireman on board who hit his head on a brick wall and died two days later."

"Where did he find a brick wall on board a ship?"

"Mmmm... that's what we always wondered."

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 31st, 2014 @ 02:00 AM Reply

At 7/30/14 07:52 PM, Auz wrote: Have you seen Rope yet? That's one of his lesser known ones I really liked. My favourites so far are Vertigo and also Rear Window.

Yea, that would probably be my next favourite of the films I've seen so far. It seemed like a fairly original concept and it worked well. About half way through I started to notice that the film only took place in two rooms, then started to realise that it has been one continuous shot. Well, appeared as one continuous shot. After Googling I found out that zooming on in dark objects was how they transitioned between shots. I'm not really someone who cares too much about behind the scenes stuff but I thought that was pretty interesting.

To Catch A Theif is the other film I'd probably rate similarly to Rope. Totally different type of film and the dubbing used on that French actor was pretty badly done. Like Rope I thought it was really good, just not quite on the same level as Rear Window or The Trouble With Harry.

At 7/31/14 12:45 AM, Natick wrote: this was the first hitchcock film i saw but i was 11 or 12 so i didn't really like it at the time. the only line that stuck with me was, "Coming home from Madagascar once we had a fireman on board who hit his head on a brick wall and died two days later."

"Where did he find a brick wall on board a ship?"

"Mmmm... that's what we always wondered."

Haha, yea that was one of the lines that made me chuckle. The film had a strange style of humour that I liked. Although having looked up other people's reviews on the film they seem pretty mixed.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 31st, 2014 @ 08:16 AM Reply

Oh, God damnit.

I guess the writing is on the wall for this project.

What a fucking waste.

123mine123
123mine123
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 31st, 2014 @ 12:04 PM Reply

Just got back home from watching Guardians of the freaking Galaxy!
It is incredible! Totally the best Marvel movie to date. Better than the Avengers!

I don't want to write a really long review, but the story, character, acting, background, cgi, and the alien stuff from the imagination of these concept artist are amazing!
And the chemistry behind the team are amazing! It's really fun when they bicker and really happy when they agree.

Next movie on the list... TMNT... Bay Turtles...ughhhhhhhh...

| HaDouKeN!!! >:D | Is there no end to this!!! :3 | Whirlwind Punch! >:3 | Dapper! :D | I'm here to fail! x3 |

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jul. 31st, 2014 @ 03:54 PM Reply

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Deadpool test footage. I'd link it, but shit keeps getting taken down.

I've never been that into the Mad Max movies, honestly. But the new one looks like it could be decent.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Aug. 1st, 2014 @ 07:24 PM Reply

I watched Bunraku. It was actually pretty good. I'd ignore the reception on this one.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club Aug. 1st, 2014 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 7/27/14 02:00 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: It gets in the way sometimes.

I'm actually surprised that someone like you would believe this to be what makes a man.

Cinema Club

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club Aug. 2nd, 2014 @ 01:22 PM Reply

Yesterday I broke out one of the 50 movie packs, in the search for that forgotten gem I've been waiting all my life for.

I watched The Murder Mansion, a Spanish/Italian co-production from 1972.

It's the classic story of a group of disparate people who all wind up in a spooky mansion when the fog gets too bad to continue driving.

I enjoyed this movie. It had great spooky atmosphere, and an awesome musical score. It had a Dark Shadows kind of look and feel to it. It had good, but not great dubbing. some parts seemed a bit boring and pointless, but they actually did wind up being important by the end.

It's a good flick to pop in on a dark and stormy night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTIgLSl2BTA

wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Aug. 2nd, 2014 @ 02:55 PM Reply

I watched hercules on Wednesday. I'd give it 7.5/10 :)

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Aug. 4th, 2014 @ 12:14 AM Reply

At 7/31/14 12:04 PM, 123mine123 wrote: Just got back home from watching Guardians of the freaking Galaxy!
It is incredible!

the story, character, acting, background, cgi, and the alien stuff from the imagination of these concept artist are amazing!

And the chemistry behind the team are amazing! It's really fun when they bicker and really happy when they agree.

I agree that Guardians of the Galaxy was an amazing film.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club Aug. 4th, 2014 @ 05:36 PM Reply

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles review.

Sounds as terrible as I thought it would be.

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club Aug. 4th, 2014 @ 06:23 PM Reply

At 8/4/14 05:36 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles review.

Sounds as terrible as I thought it would be.

The new backstory for the Turtles, Splinter, and April sucks too.

It's pretty much what Moviebob warned us about.