00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ErinJA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,255 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-22 10:25:28

Going to an Oscar showcase at AMC which will be playing Philomena, Dallas Buyers Club, The wolf of wall street and 12 years a slave. Cant wait to dive in

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-22 15:05:09

Watched Dredd last night and thought it was pretty good. Couple things kinda bugged me though. Firstly was those drug scenes that felt like they were only included for the sake of having some 3D scenes. I watched the film in 2D and really didn't see any point in most of those scenes existing. Secondly was the "gore". It looked so obviously fake most of the time. Would have probably been better if the gore resembled that of some older films rather than that weird CGI they opted for.

I thought Karl Urban was a much better Dredd than Stallone but Stallone was my introduction to the character, so I couldn't help find myself noticing how small Urban looked in comparison. Still, from the Dredd comic strips I've read, Urban felt more accurate. Also glad they never removed his helmet because I don't think Urban has the look of a Dredd. The stubbly chin did the job though.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-22 15:10:34

Dredd was fucking awesome. I wish they would make a sequel. An animated miniseries based on the comics would be cool, too.

At 2/22/14 10:25 AM, Wegra wrote: Going to an Oscar showcase at AMC which will be playing Philomena, Dallas Buyers Club, The wolf of wall street and 12 years a slave. Cant wait to dive in

I went to a best picture nominee marathon at a theater in 2008 when the Oscars were coming up. Slumdog Mlionaire, Benjamin Button, Milk, the Reader, and Frost/Nixon. Pretty good day.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-22 19:07:27

I also loved Dredd. Does everything an action film needs to do, and does it well.

I'd kill for some more 90-100 minute action films. All the big budget stuff usually runs over 2 hours, and you've got to be a very special filmmaker to keep action exciting for that long.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-22 19:13:30

I've been busy all day so I'm gonna start Killer Joe after my dinner here soon. Also I'm trying to remember this film i saw. It was about this house that was haunted and the people died by jumping out of a window which showed a loved one in it.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-23 04:48:40

Watched American Werewolf in London last night. I have memories of this film from when I was younger and I've maybe only watched it partially once between then and now. Still think this film is great. It manages to scare you and then has you smiling at the weird humour. Definitely one of my favourite monster films.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-23 07:57:57

I watched Killer Joe.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. McConaughey is great, and the final act is brutal. Really hard to watch, which I guess is what it was going for. The major issue I have with it is that it's very obviously based on a play and not much has been done to make use of the fact that it's now on film. The vast majority of the film is people talking in the trailer, which works well in ramping up the claustrophobia towards the end to aid in making those final scenes even more tense, but just feels needlessly limited elsewhere.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet everything from arriving home from the funeral to the end credits is take verbatim from the play. The camera never leaves the room from that point on, notably when Chris turns up you hear his approach and interaction with the dog rather than see it. That seems very deliberate to me.

So yeah, not a pleasant film by any stretch of the imagination, but a good one.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-23 16:57:45

At 2/23/14 04:48 AM, Dean wrote: Watched American Werewolf in London last night. I have memories of this film from when I was younger and I've maybe only watched it partially once between then and now. Still think this film is great. It manages to scare you and then has you smiling at the weird humour. Definitely one of my favourite monster films.

Flip yeah, classic and one of my favourite films though I can't put my finger on why. I have an inordinate love for the scene with the werewolf chasing the banker through the Underground. Fight the power.

I'll probably check out some of the others mentioned here but refrain from committing to this film club thing for the moment.

Watched Night on Earth tonight after a Guardian piece (fight.the.power) reminded me of Jarmusch's existence, having loved Ghost Dog and Down by Law. Really brilliant film, I laughed stupidly hard at parts and thought the general concept of following taxi drivers in different cities sequentially was really neat. A good range too, the 2nd segment reminded me of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which it obviously preceded, while the last was almost like something Kieslowski'd cook up. Only downside is I really didn't want it to end, which is unusual given I'm usually looking forward to some sort of conclusion. Definitely one of my favourites.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-24 08:27:08

Not sure if anybody else has done this, but I made a letterboxd list of the MoTW's so far. (Plan to keep it mostly up-to-date)

http://letterboxd.com/jolly/list/ng-cinema-club-movie-of-the-week/

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 03:15:04

Wow we really blew the KFC (so to speak) last week didn't we guys. Sorry @Natick! But I promise I'll watch the MotWs I've missed at some point sooner rather than later!

So since he's, uh, the only person who participated I guess that makes @TheMaster this week's MotW picker! Yay!

By the way now might be as good a time as any to reiterate that the only way to get into the pool for picking the MotW is to participate in the previous week's discussion.

And since we now have someone picking for the second time, anyone who participates next week will be eligible to pick for the following week, even if you've gone already.

I also hope last week doesn't deter you guys from making more obscure picks in the future. It wasn't that there was a lack of interest, things just kinda happen sometimes and some weeks will just be better attended than others for reasons that have nothing to do with the film that was picked. So don't be afraid to get weird with it!

At 2/24/14 08:27 AM, Jolly wrote: Not sure if anybody else has done this, but I made a letterboxd list of the MoTW's so far. (Plan to keep it mostly up-to-date)

Nice, thanks! I did make a list but I never published it.

At 2/22/14 03:05 PM, Dean wrote: Watched Dredd last night and thought it was pretty good.
At 2/22/14 07:07 PM, TheMaster wrote: I also loved Dredd. Does everything an action film needs to do, and does it well.
At 2/22/14 03:10 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Dredd was fucking awesome. I wish they would make a sequel. An animated miniseries based on the comics would be cool, too.

Have you guys seen The Raid: Redemption? It's an Indonesian martial arts film from a couple years ago and one of the best action movies I've ever seen. It apparently has a very similar structure to Dredd (to the point where the latter has been accused of plagiarism, though I think the two films were produced close enough in time to each other that it's probably just a coincidence) so if you liked that movie this one would be well worth checking out. There's also a sequel that's going to be released sometime this year I think.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 07:50:01

At 2/25/14 03:15 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Have you guys seen The Raid: Redemption? It's an Indonesian martial arts film from a couple years ago and one of the best action movies I've ever seen. It apparently has a very similar structure to Dredd (to the point where the latter has been accused of plagiarism, though I think the two films were produced close enough in time to each other that it's probably just a coincidence) so if you liked that movie this one would be well worth checking out. There's also a sequel that's going to be released sometime this year I think.

I saw The Raid before I saw Dredd, and was afraid Dredd was just going to be a poor imitation, but they're really very different films. The story is the same, law enforcement fights up a tower block full of bad guys to get to their leader at the top, but the actual structure is totally different.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 08:25:44

Also, film of the week.

I think everyone who chose so far picked something they've seen already, so I'm going to break that trend and go for something that's new to me too.

The Insect Woman, a 1963 film by Shohei Imamura. I like what I've seen of his work so far and have had this sitting on my shelf for a while, so now is as good a time as any to get it watched.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 08:27:38

At 2/25/14 08:25 AM, TheMaster wrote: Also, film of the week.

I think everyone who chose so far picked something they've seen already, so I'm going to break that trend and go for something that's new to me too.

The Insect Woman, a 1963 film by Shohei Imamura. I like what I've seen of his work so far and have had this sitting on my shelf for a while, so now is as good a time as any to get it watched.

I hit Post instead of Upload.

Here's a stolen blurb about it:
“My heroines are true to life – just look around you at Japanese women. They are strong, and they outlive men,” director Shôhei Imamura once observed. And so an audacious, anthropological approach to filmmaking came into full maturity with the director’s vast 1963 chronicle of pre- and post-war Japan, The Insect Woman [Nippon-konchûki, or An Account of Japanese Insects].

Comparing his heroine, Tome Matsuki (played by Sachiko Hidari, who won the “Best Actress” award at the 1964 Berlin Film Festival for the role) to the restlessness and survival instincts of worker insects, the film is an unsparing study of working-class female life. Beginning with Tome’s birth in 1918, it follows her through five decades of social change, several improvised careers, and male-inflicted cruelty.

Elliptically plotted, brimming over with black humour and taboo material, and immaculately staged in crystalline NikkatsuScope, The Insect Woman is arguably Imamura’s most radical and emphatic testament to female resilience.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 10:50:48

well, i'm an asshole. sorry that i didn't discuss the motw on time. i kind of turned the discussion part of it into a chore that i wasn't looking foward to after more stuff kept coming up over the weekend.

i enjoyed killer joe for the main reasons that everyone else did, which would be the performances. everyone playing the smith family does a great job of exhibiting their ineptitude and reactionary tendencies without being obnoxious about it and mcconaughey's directness and authoritative presence really caught me off-guard during the first half and his breakdown in the last 25 minutes left me with a low feeling in my gut. nice use of small details as well, with the most important scenes in the trailer taking place during stormy nights, i kept thinking chris would eventually shoot that pitbull for some reason. if i had any major criticisms, i don't like how abruptly it ends as soon as (SPOILERS) dottie rasies the gun at joe and yells that she's pregnant. quick cuts to the credits like that i tend to take as a bad sign, like the writer didn't have confidence that they could end the story naturally. also i agree with themaster that it's easy to see it's stage roots and how it doesn't do much with them until the end, making it more reliant on the actors than any other element. the sexual politics have been known to raise a few eyebrows as well but that's probably been discussed to death already so i won't touch on that.

on saturday, i also finally saw precious and thought it wasn't going to mean much to me anymore since it's awards buzz had ended long ago and that it would just be excruciatingly depressing with an undeserved happy ending but i liked it a lot more than i thought i would. i've always believed that the scariest villians are the ones who express regret or sadness in a way that the audience can empathize and mo'nique's performance as the mother was one of the best recent examples of this that i've seen in a long time. she spends so much of the film as a poisonous, abusive, selfish and psychologically imposing character but the scene that really got to me was (SPOILERS) the end when she confesses that the abusive home situation to the social worker was due to her relationship with precious' father and she completely sells the whole thing as she explains her jealousy of her own daughter and how much she hated herself for marrying a pedophile. brilliant performance on her part. it's also a visually arresting film as well, particularly during the most intense scenes of abuse where a lot of the focus shifts to the smaller details in the environment and precious' daydreams which i know have been the most debated part of the film but i thought they worked in the sense of the film taking a first-person view of the protagonist's horrible life and feeling just as much a need to escape from itself as the character did. i can understand why they were seen as a bit out-of-place or cheesy though, the gospel music playing while mary nearly kills precious and her child with a tv felt strange.

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 13:22:07

Just a heads up that Criterion is having one of their 50% off everything sales for the next 24 hours. I'm definitely going to try to pick a couple things up.

I also just recently discovered that if you get TCM in your cable package you can log in on their site and stream anything from a rotating list of classic movies on demand for free. They only keep movies online for one week at a time, so you have to watch them quickly, but that also means they're constantly adding new things.

At 2/25/14 08:27 AM, TheMaster wrote: The Insect Woman, a 1963 film by Shohei Imamura.

Cool pick. I haven't seen anything by Imamura so this should be really interesting.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 13:43:11

Just finished Fruitvale Station and holy fuck was it the most emotionally affecting movie I've seen. Don't properly know what else to say about it.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 14:15:15

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 14:18:38

Sorry I've been absent, been a lot of stress my way, and still is, so I might pop in every now and then but I definitely will not be able to watch all the movies we pick..

In other news, been addicted to Twin Peaks the spare time I have. It's fantastic. What do you guys think?

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 15:02:58

At 2/25/14 08:25 AM, TheMaster wrote: The Insect Woman, a 1963 film by Shohei Imamura. I like what I've seen of his work so far and have had this sitting on my shelf for a while, so now is as good a time as any to get it watched.

I'm really gonna watch the Movie of the Week on time this week. I swear I'm gonna do it guys.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 16:26:26

My computer has essentially given up so unless I can find the future MoTW picks on TV I won't be participating. I was halfway through Killer Joe when it gave up.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 16:34:29

At 2/25/14 04:26 PM, Atlas wrote: My computer has essentially given up so unless I can find the future MoTW picks on TV I won't be participating. I was halfway through Killer Joe when it gave up.

What do you mean by "given up"? What's wrong with it?

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 19:08:10

Just got done watching Gone With the Wind and The Addms Family Values

Gone with the wind while I didn't understand most of the story did have some pretty damn good acting not to mention that ending

And the Addams family (It was on the Hub so why not?) Was my first Addams Family thing I have seen and it was kinda fun surprised I never got into it

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-25 22:55:57

At 2/25/14 04:34 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 2/25/14 04:26 PM, Atlas wrote: My computer has essentially given up so unless I can find the future MoTW picks on TV I won't be participating. I was halfway through Killer Joe when it gave up.
What do you mean by "given up"? What's wrong with it?

The USB ports in the front are broke, keyboard port in back won't work, and it's been slowly dying for awhile, I'm surprised it didn't stop sooner. It's been freezing like crazy lately.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-26 18:41:34

I watched the Stone Tape on Sunday. It was alright. Don't really know what to say about it. I also watched Machete Kills last night. Not nearly as entertaining as the first one. And I finally watched Raw Deal, which was kinda badass. I also watched Elite Squad, which wasn't what I expected, but still pretty good. I thought it was gonna be an action movie.

At 2/25/14 03:15 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Wow we really blew the KFC (so to speak) last week didn't we guys. Sorry @Natick! But I promise I'll watch the MotWs I've missed at some point sooner rather than later!

So since he's, uh, the only person who participated I guess that makes @TheMaster this week's MotW picker! Yay!

I had already seen Killer Joe. That and Frailty are why I shake my head at all the hate that Matthew McConaughey gets. I still haven't seen any of his other well recieved roles like Dallas Buyers Club, etc.

Have you guys seen The Raid: Redemption? It's an Indonesian martial arts film from a couple years ago and one of the best action movies I've ever seen. It apparently has a very similar structure to Dredd (to the point where the latter has been accused of plagiarism, though I think the two films were produced close enough in time to each other that it's probably just a coincidence) so if you liked that movie this one would be well worth checking out. There's also a sequel that's going to be released sometime this year I think.

One of my favorite movies. I'm a huge martial arts fan. Merantau was another really good movie starring Iko Uwais. It wasn't as great as the Raid, but it was still awesome.

At 2/25/14 02:18 PM, Slint wrote: In other news, been addicted to Twin Peaks the spare time I have. It's fantastic. What do you guys think?

Haven't seen it, but Blue Velvet was pretty good. And Eraserhead was a trip.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-26 19:11:35

At 2/26/14 06:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Haven't seen it, but Blue Velvet was pretty good. And Eraserhead was a trip.

It's really campy and really fantastic, highly recommend.
Lynch is one of my favourite directors so that might help in my case.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-26 22:06:14

At 2/26/14 07:11 PM, Slint wrote:
At 2/26/14 06:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Haven't seen it, but Blue Velvet was pretty good. And Eraserhead was a trip.
It's really campy and really fantastic, highly recommend.
Lynch is one of my favourite directors so that might help in my case.

Have you seen Takashi Miike's film, Gozu? It's basically Lynch worship. Creepy and bizarre as hell.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-27 16:22:10

Trying to find a chance to watch 12 Years A Slave and really hoping it's not just another "white people are evil" movie. Gotta also get around to American Hustle and Frozen, since everybody and their dog is telling me to see the latter.

At 2/27/14 02:32 PM, Piggler wrote:
Did any of you guys see The Wolf of Wall Street? Everyone apparently loved it but me. I think it's just the idea that a lot of people have that anything with Leonardo DiCaprio is automatically great.

Leo's not one of my favorite actors, but I thought his performance in that movie was one of the best I've seen. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, unlikable characters and all.

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-27 16:28:00

At 2/27/14 04:22 PM, Jester wrote: Trying to find a chance to watch 12 Years A Slave and really hoping it's not just another "white people are evil" movie.

I don't think it is at all.

Gotta also get around to American Hustle and Frozen, since everybody and their dog is telling me to see the latter.

FUCK Frozen. The most overrated movie of 2013 by far. I am so sick of hearing about it being the greatest gift from Disney (aka the Jesus Christ of film studios).

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-27 16:45:09

Today I watched Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. 2002.

A new Godzilla attacks Japan, so the government gathers top Japanese scientists to create Mechagodzilla, a robot infused with the DNA of the original Godzilla, to fight him off.

This one was pretty good. It's pretty standard stuff for the genre, but it's well put together and exciting.

It has a likeable cast of human characters, even if they are characters you've seen in a hundred other movies. The main female lead is a walking cliche. A Lieutenant who screwed up in the past, and is blamed for getting people killed. Years later she gets a chance to redeem herself when she is chosen to be the main pilot for Mechagodzilla. There's even a guy on the team who doesn't like her and says "she's gonna get us all killed!".

These cliches don't matter much. It's all part of the Godzilla experience.

The fight scenes with the monsters are very good. Mechagodzilla is particularly awesome to behold in action.

One gripe I have is that they do a bit of a retcon of the original Godzilla movie. They use cells taken from the bones of the original Godzilla to build Mechagodzilla. Wait a minute! The Oxygen Destroyed dissolved the bones! You see it clear as day in the first movie. There shouldn't be any bones. I guess they altered it just so they could tell the story the wanted to tell.

It's a good one.

Cinema Club

Response to Cinema Club 2014-02-27 16:49:43

At 2/27/14 04:28 PM, Makeshift wrote:
FUCK Frozen. The most overrated movie of 2013 by far. I am so sick of hearing about it being the greatest gift from Disney (aka the Jesus Christ of film studios).

I really dig Disney-Pixar, but i'm very eh about these recent Disney movies, despite everyone I know worshiping Tangled and Wreck-it-Ralph. Didn't realize until now that Frozen wasn't Disney-Pixar, and it will be moved lower on the priorities list accordingly.