New Topic Respond to this Topic
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 15th, 2012 @ 08:13 PM Reply

At 54 seconds ago, SnoopyChicken wrote: Hi guys. I went to see "The woman in black" today.
I thought the film was very good, a real masterclass in tension and suspense, theirs a particular sequence lasting about 20 minutes that is just relentless.
Radcliffe was very convincing (although some think he is to young for the role), most of his scenes are him on his own and he managed to pull it off.
Theirs very little gore which is a plus for me. Whilst I have no problem with gore it meant I could get my wife to come along. The film has a 12a rating.

Also it's just exciting to see Hammer studios back in action!

This was a good film although I felt as if they relied a little to much on the sound effects than anything. The plot was really back and forth and kind of difficult for me to really get into although overall it was quite the decent film.

BBS Signature
greensucksbluerules
greensucksbluerules
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 17th, 2012 @ 12:03 AM Reply

At 3 days ago, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 21 hours ago, greensucksbluerules wrote: Yeah. I wanted to differentiate it from that godawful American remake, which altered the ending.
ah. I never saw the remake. That theme of dangerous curiosity kinda reminded me of Oldboy, if you know what I mean.

The worst part is the remake was directed by the same guy who did the original. It ends with the hero escaping his coffin, killing the bad guy, and living happily ever after. Ever see Lone Star? That shares a smilar theme.

I prefer the original myself.
As do I, but I still liked the newer one.

The newer one was surprisingly good. People like to say things that turned out bad seemed good on paper- to me, the Dawn of the Dead remake is the opposite of this. Bad concept, solid execution. If that makes any sense.

Sig by chris-092

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 18th, 2012 @ 12:08 PM Reply

I went to see Hugo today (in 3D).

This is a magnificent family film in my opinion. It has an interesting, mysterious plot, a good cast of actors and the cinematography is absolutely wonderful. The film fully deserves that Oscar in my opinion. I don't think it's really "Best Picture" material, but I agree with its nomination and won't complain if it wins.

Overall it's a very good film that's well worth watching. It goes straight into my top 10 favourite 2011 films.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Jack
Jack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 09:17 AM Reply

At 5 days ago, TheMaster wrote: Does anyone know a website that tracks new releases on Blu-ray?

Quatermass and the Pit completely slipped by me, and I almost missed the limited edition version of Repo Man that Masters of Cinema is putting out next week. If it's anywhere near as good as the one they did for Silent Running, I'm more than happy to pay the extra Ã'£5.

Buddy, are you loving their releases as well?

The Silent Running and Touch of Evil steel books are absolutely beautiful. They're releasing a couple Billy Wilder flicks in a couple of months too.

But yeah, gotta get myself a copy of Quatermass and the Pit.

Baby Britain.
Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature
undeadcl0wn-4
undeadcl0wn-4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM Reply

best movie soundtrack? forrest gump

-spilda

if we release the gingers we are all in terrible danger

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 05:10 PM Reply

I watched Cell 211 earlier today. good movie.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 05:18 PM Reply

What good films might I be able to catch at the cinema next week? I haven't watched anything more recent than last summer except for The Artist (which, amusingly enough, I watched in french), and don't know what's out. I've got my eye on the george clooney one if it's still showing, but apart from that I know nothing.. any halp?

undeadcl0wn-4
undeadcl0wn-4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 05:39 PM Reply

One of my favorite parts in the movie is when Lieutenant Dan and Forrest were recovering in the hospital after the events in Vietnam.

Dan: "Now, you listen to me. We all have a destiny! Nothing just happens - it's all part of a plan! I should have died out there with my men but now I'm nothin' but a god damn cripple - a legless freak! Look! Look - look at me! Do you see that? Do you know what it's like to not be able to use your legs?!"
Forrest: "Yes sir I do."

There is so much brilliance packed into this film. It is so significant in a number of ways: it's dramatic, creative, intelligent, romantic, funny, sad, epic and inspiring at the same time. I have probably watched this movie ten times and it's still not enough. Forrest Gump is incredible. A cinematic classic.

undeadcl0wn-4
undeadcl0wn-4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 05:42 PM Reply

And The Doors is one of my all-time favorite bands. Once again the soundtrack is amazing.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 19th, 2012 @ 08:34 PM Reply

*WARNING SPOILERS WARNING*

Saw Chronicle today and I figured why not make a review after a long hiatus from reviewing.
Review

Acting

Believable, I don't know who most of the actors/actresses are but they did pretty good. Whoever cast everybody did a great job except for maybe the Monica chick.

Effects

When the car falls of the Space Needle they should have zoomed in on the explosion since the explosion wasn't that big. The floating of the actors and objects was perfected just right except the card trick looked very animated.

Story

How they got their powers was odd but I liked the nosebleed thing. I hate how when one is hurt or something another came since that caused Steve's death. I've seen better stories but the actors/actresses made the story believable.

Overall Score

8.7 out of 10. I would've gone higher if the whole first person thing didn't cut out so many things and I actually pay attention to the music unlike when I watched "The Social Network".

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 09:59 AM Reply

At 13 hours ago, J-Rex wrote: *WARNING SPOILERS WARNING*

Saw Chronicle today and I figured why not make a review after a long hiatus from reviewing.
Review

8.7 out of 10. I would've gone higher if the whole first person thing didn't cut out so many things and I actually pay attention to the music unlike when I watched "The Social Network".

While I found these actors to be great despite some of their young ages they seemed to have lots of experience. Unfortunately, about half way through the film I realised it wasn't much more than just a little play on supernatural dangerous powers with the cinematography of documentary style thrown in. It was just basically your average film with a mediocre plot with a certain style of cinematography (I hate trying to spell that word) and some really good actors.

Although this isn't much of a review, I'd probably give the film 6.5 out of 10.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 01:49 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, Jack wrote: Buddy, are you loving their releases as well?

The Silent Running and Touch of Evil steel books are absolutely beautiful. They're releasing a couple Billy Wilder flicks in a couple of months too.

But yeah, gotta get myself a copy of Quatermass and the Pit.

I've only got the Silent Running one, but it's gorgeous. And steelbook aside, the transfer is amazing. Touch of Evil is on my to get list too, but I'm a bit skint at the minute.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 23 hours ago, undeadcl0wn-4 wrote: And The Doors is one of my all-time favorite bands. Once again the soundtrack is amazing.

Mine too, but I can't recall there being music by The Doors featured in Forrest Gump. You sure you aren't mixing this film up with Apocalypse Now? Cause there were some iconic scenes in that one where The End is playing (at the opening and the ending).

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something...

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 20th, 2012 @ 09:20 PM Reply

I don't believe his mentioning of the Doors had any intention of a relation between the two movies. I think he was just saying that it is a favorite of his and that it also has a great soundtrack, as Forrest Gump does.

Also, for y'all who watch foreign movies, I got two on my mind right now that will also be on your mind long after you watch them. Celda 211 and un Prophete. Both of these are good examples of movies that replay in your mind for a while after you watch them. dunno what it is, but certain movies are like this even if there's nothing to figure out.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
undeadcl0wn-4
undeadcl0wn-4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 12:13 AM Reply

At 5 days ago, Auz wrote:
At 23 hours ago, undeadcl0wn-4 wrote: And The Doors is one of my all-time favorite bands. Once again the soundtrack is amazing.
Mine too, but I can't recall there being music by The Doors featured in Forrest Gump. You sure you aren't mixing this film up with Apocalypse Now?

as a matter of fact there are four or five songs by the doors in forrest gump

ghostxero
ghostxero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 12:47 AM Reply

At 6 days ago, J-Rex wrote: *WARNING SPOILERS WARNING*

Review

Acting

Believable, I don't know who most of the actors/actresses are but they did pretty good. Whoever cast everybody did a great job except for maybe the Monica chick.

Effects

When the car falls of the Space Needle they should have zoomed in on the explosion since the explosion wasn't that big. The floating of the actors and objects was perfected just right except the card trick looked very animated.

Story

How they got their powers was odd but I liked the nosebleed thing. I hate how when one is hurt or something another came since that caused Steve's death. I've seen better stories but the actors/actresses made the story believable.

Overall Score

i want to see chronicle but it pissed me off that this is basically a 2 hour version of an episode of the x-files, there is an episode where a bunch of kids find a hole in the ground, go in and come out with powers and one goes bad, blah blah blah. only diff. is the powers the kids got in x-files was just super human speed

if my calculations are correct. When this baby hits 88 miles an hour, your gonna see some serious shit!

BBS Signature
RandomRoarness
RandomRoarness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 26th, 2012 @ 02:56 AM Reply

At 2 hours ago, ghostxero wrote:
i want to see chronicle but it pissed me off that this is basically a 2 hour version of an episode of the x-files, there is an episode where a bunch of kids find a hole in the ground, go in and come out with powers and one goes bad, blah blah blah. only diff. is the powers the kids got in x-files was just super human speed

The trailer showed it to be more than "super human speed" as you call it. I haven't seen the movie so i can't judge yet but it look like they had more than just speed for a power(telekinesis and such).

happy, sad....!?

"if you're ever getting buttfucked go with scarlet velvet " - Bantam

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 27th, 2012 @ 05:58 AM Reply

Oscar winners are in!

Best Picture: The Artist
Best Actor: Jean Dujardin (The Artist)
Best Actress: Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady)
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Christopher Plummer (Beginners)
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Octavia Spencer (The Help)
Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)
Best Animated Feature: Rango
Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation
and some more...

Biggest winners were Hugo and The Artist (5 Oscars)

What do you all think?

I haven't seen The Artist yet, but judging from all the praise it got everywhere it seems like a fair choice.

At 6 days ago, Sense-Offender wrote: I don't believe his mentioning of the Doors had any intention of a relation between the two movies. I think he was just saying that it is a favorite of his and that it also has a great soundtrack, as Forrest Gump does.

Apparently he's right about Forrest Gump containing music by The Doors. I never noticed actually. Then again, it's been a long time since I watched the film in full. Back then I didn't even knew The Doors that well, so that might be why.

At 1 day ago, undeadcl0wn-4 wrote:
At 5 days ago, Auz wrote:
Mine too, but I can't recall there being music by The Doors featured in Forrest Gump. You sure you aren't mixing this film up with Apocalypse Now?
as a matter of fact there are four or five songs by the doors in forrest gump

Eh... you're right apparently. As I've stated above, it's been long since I last watched it so I guess I forgot.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 28th, 2012 @ 04:30 PM Reply

I went to check out The Artist today.

I have to say that I agree with the Best Picture award this time. I really enjoyed this film and it proves that you don't need expensive CGI, special effects, 3D technology, two dozen million dollars or even colour and sound to make a good and entertaining film. With a good cast and some good ideas you can already get very far.

The acting really is excellent in my opinion. Jean Dujardin deserved that Oscar and even the dog played very well as... the dog. Seriously, the dog stole the show in plenty of scenes and that's not even an insult to the other actors.

I also liked the fact that a lot of scenes and shots appear very well thought out. If you pay attention you'll notice quite some hidden jokes and other nice little details.

So anyway, I really liked this film overall. It goes straight into my top 10 for 2011. It's a nice throwback to the films from the early days and it deserved the Oscars in my opinion.

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 28th, 2012 @ 09:52 PM Reply

At 5 hours ago, Auz wrote: I went to check out The Artist today.

While I do agree with you and felt that they made really good use of what they had while not trying to overdue it with huge fancy budgets like most films do, though the appeal of current black and white silent films to most people nowadays is strictly esoteric and it seemed to ignore a lot of the more important elements of the silent film era that the people or fans of silent films loved so much. Still, a really good film, perhaps in my Top 20 of 2011 but it stood out more as a technical exercise of the silent film genre.

BBS Signature
greensucksbluerules
greensucksbluerules
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Feb. 29th, 2012 @ 11:52 PM Reply

It's funny, I knew absolutely nothing about The Artist before it was released. It only caught my attention because it had a big 98% on Rotten Tomatoes the week it came out.

Sig by chris-092

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 2nd, 2012 @ 04:16 AM Reply

Haven't posted here in a while so I thought I'd write a couple of short reviews about the films I watched last night and the night before.

First up, The Thin Red Line. Great war film (which is a genre I'm getting more and more into these days). Jim Caviezel was awesome and Sean Penn was great as well. The middle section of the film (where their climbing that impossibly difficult hill) was one of the best scripted attack scenes I've ever seen. What let the film down a little where the beginning and end sections where Caviezel is living on an island with the natives. The shots were beautiful to look at, but they lasted a little too long for my liking and were far too drastic a change from the gritty gun scenes I'd loved.

Next is Harsh Times. Christian Bale and Freddy Rodriguez were great, although Bale's attempts to sound like a ghetto gangster often fell flat. The plot was fairly interesting and some of the dialogue was really good. One thing I didn't like was how quickly Bale changed from goofing around with his friend to full on psychopath in need of medical help. It should have been played out for longer with hints about his problems and small acts leading up to the full scale turn. Average film to be completely truthful, but I still enjoyed it all the same.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 2nd, 2012 @ 11:29 AM Reply

Tonight, I'm seeing The Bully Project (aka Bully), a documentary on bullying. The MPAA gave it an R rating because of some swearing and there's been controversy. I think that rating is ridiculous. PG-13 is fine. For the Canadian provinces that rate films (British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, as far as I know), I'm seriously predicting they will give this film a PG or G rating, meaning children could obviously see it fine.

I'm also volunteering for a charity screening of Pray for Japan, a documentary on last year's Tohoku earthquake and tsunami. It's showing in several theatres in North America on March 14.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 2nd, 2012 @ 06:51 PM Reply

Just noticed the Masters of Cinema Repo Man blu-ray has a note in the booklet addressing incorrect aspect ratio and motion smoothing on modern TVs. Says that not making sure your TV is set up properly (correct ratio, smoothing off) is "a distortion and corruption of the original artwork, which travesty the integrity of both the human form and the cinematographic space."

I can definitely get behind that.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Insanical
Insanical
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 3rd, 2012 @ 12:11 AM Reply

Hey guys,
I haven't posted in newgrounds in awhile. I'm missing it so I thought I'd come back but I thought I'd come to the Clubs&Crew section first, I always found it more interesting here.
Anyway, I'm a huge film fanatic. Watch everything and tend to love most things.

I would talk about the most recent films i've seen but I just have to spread the word of how awesome The Raid is. Definately go see it when it's released.
Last week they had the UK premiere at the Frightfest during the Glasgow Film Festival, 2 days of all horror movies, usually premieres. Most years I walk away with atleast 3 or 4 films I can see myself watching again, buying or putting in my favourites but this year was seriously dragging. I was joking at the start of it, because I was so excited for The Raid, that I've basically paid £55 just to see The Raid but looking back at it, I have and It was 100% worth it.

The Raid is possibly the most intense action packed martial arts film I've ever seen. It's about 100 mins long, about 80 of those mins is pure high octane action. No joke. It's an indonesian film starring Iko Uwais, from Merantau, directed by Gareth Evans whom also done Merantau (and discovered Iko btw). Go watch Merantau then go on youtube and watch the trailer for The Raid if you haven't seen it.
I honestly don't know what to say about the film it's just absolute awesomeness. The choreography is amazing, kill scenes are seriously brilliant, soundtrack is immense. I watched the uncut original soundtrack, the movie is being cut (only 4 seconds) and a new soundtrack by Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park) and Joey Trapanese is being added for the American release. Gareth commented at the Q&A though that the cuts are miniscul and the soundtrack is ace, very 80's carpenter-ish.
Story is pretty much non-existent, it's basically filler to allow the possibility for constant action although of what is there is great and so is the acting.

Seriously, day one, queue up. IT'S FUCKING AMAZING!!!!

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 3rd, 2012 @ 05:05 AM Reply

So anyway I went to go see chronicle last night with about 12 people, and we get there and it turns out no-one actually checked the times, and that the film wasn't even on last night

:|

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:20 PM Reply

At 1 day ago, EclecticEnnui wrote: Tonight, I'm seeing The Bully Project (aka Bully), a documentary on bullying. The MPAA gave it an R rating because of some swearing and there's been controversy. I think that rating is ridiculous. PG-13 is fine. For the Canadian provinces that rate films (British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec, as far as I know), I'm seriously predicting they will give this film a PG or G rating, meaning children could obviously see it fine.

As I found out at the screening, the film is PG in Ontario. The film is definitely moving, gorgeously shot, and thought provoking. There's a vice principal who comes across as a bit ignorant and pompous that got some laughs from the audience, including me. I don't know how much further awareness and prevention the film will bring to kids being bullied, but I do hope it does in some significant way.

BBS Signature
SnoopyChicken
SnoopyChicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 07:59 AM Reply

Hmm, I think my favourite films are:

Room for Romeo Brass
Fight Club
The Big Lebowski
Serenity

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 11:31 AM Reply

I watched John Carpenter's the Thing again for the hundredth time. It still bugs me out at certain points. I watched it this time, though, in preparation of finally seeing the new-ish prequel. It will probably disappoint, but I still foolishly have some hope.

At 3 hours ago, SnoopyChicken wrote: Fight Club
The Big Lebowski

e-handshake to you, sir

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Rallard
Rallard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 5th, 2012 @ 11:48 AM Reply

Warning to everyone: don't watch Project X. Worst movie I've seen in years. Possibly the worst movie I've seen in my entire life.