00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Da-Birb just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

432,577 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-18 21:20:54

At 3/18/13 08:52 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 3/18/13 09:59 AM, Cootie wrote:
a real human bean
And a real hero ;_;7

The bit where he blinks was the biggest communal sigh of relief I've ever experienced in the cinema.

Great film.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-20 18:57:01

At 3/20/13 06:25 PM, SG3 wrote: So, what's the scariest movie everyone's ever watched?

I don't think there's such a thing as a scary movie, really. Begotten looks pretty freaky, though. I've been meaning to watch it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-20 19:19:59

At 3/20/13 06:25 PM, SG3 wrote: So, what's the scariest movie everyone's ever watched?

I can't think of the scariest off the top of my head, but my favorite horror films are Jacob's Ladder and The Thing (1982). From your description of Antichrist you should enjoy(?) Jacob's Ladder, although the ending was a bit of a letdown imo, paranormal horror stories are so so so much better when the ending doesn't tie everything up and clearly explain what happened.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-20 21:50:35

Of those I've seen, the movie I personally find most terrifying is Lars Von Trier's AntiChrist. The whole thing has this horrifying surreal quality and this slow-building feeling of dread that never gets resolved. It's pretty quiet and not much happens until the conclusion but that adds to it's nightmarish quality. It's the kind of scary that made me not want to seek out scary movies any more.

I haven't seen it myself (because I don't like scary movies) but I heard [REC] is one of the scariest movies ever.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-20 23:10:20

At 3/20/13 07:19 PM, Jackho wrote: I can't think of the scariest off the top of my head, but my favorite horror films are Jacob's Ladder and The Thing (1982).

fucking A. Those are both among the best horror movies ever made.

At 3/20/13 09:50 PM, Jolly wrote: I haven't seen it myself (because I don't like scary movies) but I heard [REC] is one of the scariest movies ever.

If you're susceptible to being scared by movies, then I'd say that one is a good bet. Either way, it was pretty good for what it was. Halloween could also be a good choice. The suspense is pretty effective. But John Carpenter's the Thing is plain fucked up. I'd say that's one of the best bets. My jaw dropped when I first saw that movie, and the effects still hold up really well.

Let me make a list of horror recommendations for SG3

John Carpenter's the Thing
Jacob's Ladder
28 Days Later
Alien
the Devil's Backbone
the Deaths of Ian Stone
Heartless
a Tale of Two Sisters
Tetsuo: the Iron Man
Trick 'r Treat
Let the Right one in
Eraserhead
Revenant
Three...Extremes

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-30 00:13:21

I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises tonight and I saw The Dark Knight. (I saw Batman Begins last week same with The Dark Knight Rises, but I'm watching it again.) All three movies by Christopher Nolan are just awesome. I strongly recommend them.

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-30 01:46:55

I just watched the Faculty, which was better than I expected. pretty cool movie.

And I watched Shaft earlier in the week. meh.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-01 17:02:46

I watched Little Miss Sunshine this evening.

I liked it. It felt like a nice twist on the "feel good"-genre. The film has some pretty tragic moments, but still left me with a smile at the end. I do have to say that the dancing scene near the ending felt a little weird and awkward, but I guess it portrayed the point of this film rather nicely.

Anyway, I recommend this one. It's good.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-02 21:17:27

I watched Fire and Ice by Ralph Bakshi and Frank Frazetta. It was rotoscoped, which I think a lot of people cringe at, but it was really good. I think it's an awesome movie.

At 3/30/13 05:45 PM, SG3 wrote: I watched Jacob's Ladder last week.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it that much. I thought it was great.

I mean, I still liked it. The head-spinning effect was really cool, and it was pretty original. I guess it just defied my expectation. I've been meaning to watch Tetuso: The Iron Man for ages now, so I'll probably watch that when I get the time.

I dunno if you partake in any "illicit" substances, but watching Tetsuo high is quite an experience.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-02 21:37:03

Just watched Mysterious Skin, I clicked on it on Netflix without any prior knowledge of the film because of Joseph Gordon Levitt, and damn, it's probably the most fucked up film I've ever seen, but the acting is great and it definitely keeps the viewer interested. Not sure if I liked it or not. Could've maybe done with a fewer sex scenes.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-03 06:35:21

As somebody that studied Media at college and has enjoyed films for many years I find it slightly disturbing that the movie set for release in '14 that I most want to see is The Spongebob Squarepants Movie 2. What has become of me.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-05 11:34:45

I went to see The Place Beyond the Pines today. A film starring Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. The trailer seems to promise a sort of Drive-like film, but it's not really like Drive.

Anyway, this definitely ranks amongst my favourite films I've seen this year so far. I feel like I can't tell much about it without spoiling it (partially), but I'll just say the film takes a nice twist after about 30 minutes and then really starts showing off its ambition. I can imagine not everyone will like this film, but to me it felt like something different.

So I recommend this. I think some of you will love it at least.

At 4/4/13 11:16 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Today, I lost one of my idols. RIP, Roger Ebert.

Frankly, I've never read or heard one of his reviews, but I do know he was one of the most respected film critics out there. I should check out some of his stuff sometime.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-07 22:09:01

At 4/7/13 05:34 PM, SG3 wrote: From what I've heard, it sounds like it's guaranteed to give you a bad trip.

Well, I was just thinking weed. If you're doing psychedelics, then I imagine it wouldn't be pleasant.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-13 18:22:58

Does anyone like to collect steelbooks

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-13 19:11:40

I watched Wallace and Gromit in "A Matter of Loaf and Death" today. More of a short than a film actually, but whatever.

It's not as good as some of the other Wallace and Gromit films/shorts I've seen in the past, but still charming and a fun watch. I got a few good laughs out of it here and there.

I can imagine that it's not everyone's cup of tea though. The humour is quite silly and clay animation is a bit choppy and not-so-pleasing to the eye.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-15 19:07:46

I watched Stoker tonight. A new film by Chan-wook Park, the director of Oldboy. It's also his first English film.

As with Oldboy, the film has a bit of a mysterious feel to it where you're not quite sure what is going throughout most of the plot. However, the major plot twists aren't too big of a surprise when they come around (at least, they weren't to me), but the film manages to be very intriguing and suspenseful nonetheless. I was captivated from beginning to end and I really loved it.

So I highly recommend this one. It's definitely my favourite film of the year so far.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-16 00:23:18

At 4/15/13 07:07 PM, Auz wrote: So I highly recommend this one. It's definitely my favourite film of the year so far.

I'll definitely check this one out. I loved most of Chan-wook Park's movies. Especially Oldboy.

On a side note, I'm pretty excited for Django Unchained on DVD and Blu-ray tomorrow.

[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-25 17:24:15

I watched Killing Them Softly and End of Watch, which were both pretty good. I also watched an anime called Brave Story a little while ago. That was a good one.

At 4/16/13 12:23 AM, triplenoob wrote:
At 4/15/13 07:07 PM, Auz wrote: So I highly recommend this one. It's definitely my favourite film of the year so far.
I'll definitely check this one out. I loved most of Chan-wook Park's movies. Especially Oldboy.

IMO, his worst work so far was still okay.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-25 21:38:40

You're saying Oldboy was his worst work?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-25 21:40:01

At 4/25/13 09:38 PM, triplenoob wrote:
You're saying Oldboy was his worst work?

No way. That was his best. I was just saying he's never made anything bad. Although, I still haven't seen Stoker.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-25 21:45:51

At 4/25/13 09:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: No way. That was his best. I was just saying he's never made anything bad. Although, I still haven't seen Stoker.

I'm half relieved, half-disappointed because I haven't seen a lot of his movies, truth be told. And if you were saying Oldboy was his worst, I wouldn't have imagined how good the rest of them were.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-26 17:55:06

At 4/25/13 09:45 PM, triplenoob wrote:
At 4/25/13 09:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: No way. That was his best. I was just saying he's never made anything bad. Although, I still haven't seen Stoker.
I'm half relieved, half-disappointed because I haven't seen a lot of his movies, truth be told. And if you were saying Oldboy was his worst, I wouldn't have imagined how good the rest of them were.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance are both really good, and JSA is also quite good. I think Thirst was his weakest, but it was still pretty good. His short film, Cut was also quite good. It's featured in Three...Extremes, which also includes short films by Takashi Miike and Fruit Chan.

At 4/26/13 05:42 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I'm honestly interested in Spike Lee's upcoming "reinterpretation".

I hope that project falls through and never happens. I'm tired of great foreign films getting remakes. People need to stop being children and just read the subtitles.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-27 08:25:08

At 4/26/13 05:42 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I still haven't seen Oldboy

You need to get on that. Like literally right now. I really hope the remake just doesn't happen.

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-29 10:09:29

So my local cinema is doing another marathon. The 14 hour one last year nearly killed me. This is 25 hours.

Here's the line up: http://i.imgur.com/qX1m0R0.jpg

I'm thinking Terminator 2, Withnail and I, Let the Right One In, go home to sleep, come back for Run Lola Run, Shawshank Redemption, Dr Strangelove and Apocalypse Now.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-04-30 10:29:23

At 4/29/13 10:09 AM, TheMaster wrote: So my local cinema is doing another marathon. The 14 hour one last year nearly killed me. This is 25 hours.

Here's the line up: http://i.imgur.com/qX1m0R0.jpg

I'm thinking Terminator 2, Withnail and I, Let the Right One In, go home to sleep, come back for Run Lola Run, Shawshank Redemption, Dr Strangelove and Apocalypse Now.

I wish my theatre would do something like this sometime. That line-up is pretty awesome and has lots of films I still wish to see. I don't think I could last for 25 hours either though. I'd probably go there in the early morning to catch American Psycho and then stick around for the rest of the day.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-01 14:51:30

I watched Warm Bodies today.

It's a pretty nice mix between romantic comedies and zombie films in my opinion. It may sound a bit like Twilight, but it's more humorous and the romance is a lot more... believable so to speak. It felt like I was watching something I hadn't quite seen before.

However, I do have a few complaints about the film. I noticed that a lot of the jokes didn't really work (or maybe I was in a tough audience?), there was an incredibly obvious reference to Romeo and Julia which could've been way more subtle, the CGI skeletons looked awful, some of the acting could've been better and I felt like the film took too little time to explain things. When it comes to that last thing, perhaps that wasn't what the story wanted to focus on but here and there it seemed like the writer was pulling things out of his behind for the sake of plot convenience.

Anyway, go check this out if you have some leftover time. Otherwise, don't worry about missing out on it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-12 21:38:20

I watched Django Unchained two nights ago. It was awesome, and I thought it was cool that Franco Nero had a cameo. I still haven't seen Sergio Corbucci's Django, yet, though. It's been on my Netflix queue for years, before there was any news of Django Unchained.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-13 18:47:01

I went to see The Grandmaster today. A martial arts biopic about Ip Man, the former master of Bruce Lee.

It's a pretty good film overall, but I do have a few complaints. First, the film leans a bit too much on visual style. The only scene where the visuals impressed me was the fight at the train station. For the rest the film tried a bit too hard in my opinion. Second, the plot misses some direction here and there. I'm still not sure what the point was of the character "The Razor", for example. He didn't seem to have much to do with anyone and just had his own little side plot going. I don't know, maybe I missed something.

Anyway, I reckon fans of films like Hero and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon might like this one, but be warned, it doesn't quite reach the same level.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-15 23:35:42

Saw 2011's Bully. Such a beautiful documentary on the effects of bullying and the culture that has allowed it to prosper in the U.S. Totally glad that I saw this one. Really stuck with me. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys good social commentary and/or documentarian work.

Cinema Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2013-05-16 09:03:04

I finally watched Red State, which I quite liked. And I watched Centurion (Michael Fassbender, Dominic Monaghan, Olga Kurylenko) which turned out to be badass.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature