00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Linux Users Club

49,194 Views | 413 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 17:41:36

At 8/2/10 05:37 PM, thenewbies wrote: It'll be easier if you just have Ubuntu install GRUB for you. No hassle. I meant fast as in it performs quickly and boots up quickly. GRUB is also faster than WIndows' OS select screen, which is why I suggest you use that.

i'm getting impatient with you not having ubuntu yet >:(

Yikes! I've decided that I'm going to get ubuntu, I just want to make sure that I do it right, messing up is NEVER fun in the case of installing stuff.

And I see what you mean if I just have it do the stuff for me its less work. How much space am I going to need to put ubuntu on that disc?

I THINK the discs I have can only hold 700 megabites >.< plus their music CDs..

Blammin' and Shit Postin'

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 17:56:37

You should have an empty CD. iirc, an empty CD is enough. Or if you're like be, waste a perfectly good DVD. On your hard drive, when it's installed, it should take around 4GB of space, a third of what WIndows 7 uses.

BUT UBUNTU'S 3 TIME AWESOMER

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 17:59:11

Oh awesome, I'm off to go ransack my house for a blank DVD!

and if I cannot find one ill just use one of these CD's...

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 18:19:52

Right, for future reference, what do I do after "fschk -f"? Because when I did that a couple of hours ago, it buggered my fstab table and had to panic to Ubuntu Forum posts to find out how it is supposed to look.

Do I unmount it somehow, since "fschk -f" mounts it to itself (or so it seemed to me)

This is a Prime piece of real estate below.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 19:14:27

Hey guys, I am currently on the Ubuntu OS, I downloaded so really I'm using the trial... ANYWAY I need some input, I don't know how much space I should give each OS. And this is kinda a huge thing for me because in the installer it says "this operation cannot be undone". and this worries me. Big Time. So can you guys tell me IF there is a way to undo the partioning of my hard drive after its done? and some recomondations as to how much I should give each OS?

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 19:22:04

At 8/2/10 07:14 PM, gamewiz202 wrote: Hey guys, I am currently on the Ubuntu OS, I downloaded so really I'm using the trial... ANYWAY I need some input, I don't know how much space I should give each OS. And this is kinda a huge thing for me because in the installer it says "this operation cannot be undone". and this worries me. Big Time. So can you guys tell me IF there is a way to undo the partioning of my hard drive after its done? and some recomondations as to how much I should give each OS?

If Windows is the first partition then it is simple. You go into Disk Management in the Services (need to be admin to do this), delete the Linux partition and expand the Windows one. However if you have GRUB installed, that will muck things up since it's still thinking there is /dev/sda2 for example in the filetable. Could hunt down a Live Disc called "Super Grub Disc" which will get rid of GRUB for you if you want to go back to Windows only.

As for space, you would only really need 20GB of space for Ubuntu since it's hard to fill the memory up without resorting to media like Music and Videos. But for that you can mount your Window partition in Ubuntu and use your media through that, like you'd use a second hard disk or D: compared to Ubuntu being C: in this case.

This is a Prime piece of real estate below.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 20:49:16

At 8/2/10 07:14 PM, gamewiz202 wrote: Hey guys, I am currently on the Ubuntu OS, I downloaded so really I'm using the trial... ANYWAY I need some input, I don't know how much space I should give each OS. And this is kinda a huge thing for me because in the installer it says "this operation cannot be undone". and this worries me. Big Time. So can you guys tell me IF there is a way to undo the partioning of my hard drive after its done? and some recomondations as to how much I should give each OS?

You should just select a quantity based on how much you expect to use Ubuntu. I have a 160GB hard drive, and I give Ubuntu 30GB. Since really Ubuntu for me is mainly web browsing, Ubuntu doesn't need much space. I have lots of games and programs on Windows, so I give it more space.

The installer is partially lying. It's true, there's no "undo partition" button, but you can resize the spaces you gave later, with a program included with Ubuntu. If you have a big enough hard drive, though, this should be the least of your concerns. Ubuntu can access the Windows hard drive, so you could even give Ubuntu the 4GB it needs and save everything else on the Windows hard drive if you wanted to.

And I'm glad you (finally) got around to trying out Ubuntu. You'll need to learn this command prompt(called terminal in Ubuntu) command if you intend on surviving :P

sudo apt-get install [application]

If you're reading a how-to article, they might be using the terminal to solve the problem, since it's much faster that way. That code is one of the many ways you can install software in Ubuntu.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 21:14:04

Well as it turns out on my laptop I have over a 300 gb hard drive, so I gave Ubuntu 60 gigs to work with, witch is the space my old laptop had for everything.

Also, if you didn't already guess, I have now installed Ubuntu, and I have to say, IT IS FREAKING AWESOME. Thank you so much for all of your help for giving me the info I needed for installation and such.

Also I have to say, It's not over yet, NOW my questions will be about using Ubuntu and software that I will need ect. Also, I have already installed flash to Ubuntu, and set up my facebook chat thing.

I've also put the highest settings for the eye candy effects, FREAKING AMAZING. its like a game in itself haha.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 21:55:59

Ok... Um.. I was just able to move a window from one desk to another by just dragging it, then moving to the next desk and finish moving, now I can't.... how can I fix that?

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-02 23:08:09

I'M VERY GLAD YOU LIKE IT. OVER TIME, YOU WILL LEARN TO LOVE IT.
</shout>

Anyway, what do you mean by not being able to move windows across desks? Ubuntu does this by default. Could you explain a little more about the situation?

Also, there are lots of undocumented commands that do cool things. Try these two.

1. Press Windows+E.
2. ALT+F2. Type in "gegls from outer space".

Now there are lots of things to discover about Ubuntu, like customizing it(which you must do), getting cool applications, and learning more. Following a good Ubuntu blog will keep you up to date with news and some cool tricks and software for you. omgubuntu is my favourite, you might like it too. You should approach this in manageable chunks.

Some quick tips.
*Learn to mess with all the settings on your computer. You might find something useful.
*You can customize the cool effects on your computer. You've probably seen the orgasmic floppy windows effect when you drag, right? The program that manages these cool effects actually has a huge control panel of cool effects you can choose.

To install it, open a terminal by going into Applications>Accessories>Terminal. Type:
gksudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
Once it's installed, press ALT+F2 and in the text box, type in ccsm. The control panel will pop up, and you can have fun finding the best settings for you.
*You have two toolbars(called panels), one at the top and one at the bottom. Personally, I enjoy minimalism. My desktop shows this. With some good customization, you can make Ubuntu even more kickass than it already is.

See? No icons on my desktop, the only panel I have(the one with the big e in the bottom left) autohides, and the dock at the bottom of the screen does the same. And a sexy wallpaper :3

but you'll get to this level of cool soon.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 00:22:13

WOAH. I freaking love Ubuntu. Linux= epic win.
You proably know, but if you hit the windows button and "n" you get some awesome effect :P. I'm going to take a guess and say that Ubuntu as a crap load of easter eggs thanks to its being created by an entire community.

Also, I fixed my own issue, I think I killed my drivers and stopped all effects so I was no longer able to have floppy windows, or drag between desktops. anyway, problem fixed :D.

Also What version of Ubuntu do you have? obviously I've got 10.04 because it's the newest and the only one that you can download off the website now.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 01:52:52

At 8/3/10 12:22 AM, gamewiz202 wrote: WOAH. I freaking love Ubuntu. Linux= epic win.
You proably know, but if you hit the windows button and "n" you get some awesome effect :P.

windows key + e is much more useful. :P

Also What version of Ubuntu do you have? obviously I've got 10.04 because it's the newest and the only one that you can download off the website now.

You should always use the latest stable version. So anybody who doesn't use 10.04 should upgrade ASAP. ;)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 11:04:37

At 8/3/10 12:22 AM, Gamewiz wrote: WOAH. I freaking love Ubuntu. Linux= epic win.

You know it, girl.

I'm going to take a guess and say that Ubuntu as a crap load of easter eggs thanks to its being created by an entire community.

You could say that. They're more undocumented than they are easter eggs. These were features included by serious people, it just ended up that no one noticed it and it doesn't appear on any help file.

Also, I fixed my own issue, I think I killed my drivers and stopped all effects so I was no longer able to have floppy windows, or drag between desktops. anyway, problem fixed :D.

Aw. That's a shame. One of the best parts about Ubuntu is the effects. There are drivers for Ubuntu you can download. Apparently, NVidia users have the biggest trouble with compatibility. You should look for a way to get the effects back.

10.04, roger that.

pun

Anyway, I use the latest stable version most of the time, but when it gets close enough to the next release, I'll download a beta or release candidate. They're stable enough for me.

Also, you might know this already, but Ubuntu releases every six months, so it's very predictable and fast. Every third release is marked as LTS(long-term service). With an LTS, you get support for 18 months instead of 6, iirc. What's great about this system is that the first two releases can add great new features to Ubuntu, and then when the LTS comes, people focus more on improving what's already there and fine tuning everything, rather than looking for new features. 10.04 is an LTS, actually.

If you didn't know already, releases of Ubuntu have names. The latest version we're using is called Lucid Lynx. Every release is given a name that goes adjective-animal, and both the adjective and the animal used start with the same letter.

The naming scheme goes alphabetically, so after Jaunty Jackalope is Karmic Koala, then Lucid Lynx. Get the pattern?

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 12:27:34

At 8/3/10 11:04 AM, thenewbies wrote:
At 8/3/10 12:22 AM, Gamewiz wrote: WOAH. I freaking love Ubuntu. Linux= epic win.
You know it, girl.

what?

Anyway, I downloaded Banshee music player, and now I'm listening to all of my itunes music from my windows side on my ubuntu side.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 12:46:07

Nice name change.

So you use Banshee, huh? I prefer Rhythmbox, but probably mostly because it does all I need it to do and it's default.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 12:54:50

At 8/3/10 12:46 PM, thenewbies wrote: Nice name change.

Thanks

So you use Banshee, huh? I prefer Rhythmbox, but probably mostly because it does all I need it to do and it's default.

Yea, I'm using Banshee because it plays the Itunes format, I was going to use rythmbox, but I couldn't figure out if it would play the files.

But anyway, I like it, it works, and thats all that I really care about.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 13:05:51

What? Rhythmbox supports m4a. That's the file that iTunes uses. Most of my music library is saved as m4a. i am confus

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 14:17:59

Oh, I was searching online and I couldn't find a definite answer... Oh well.

Anyway, I've been looking through some of my settings and fixed some minor issues... I wish everything worked for Ubuntu, I would make it my only OS.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 14:29:12

At 8/3/10 02:17 PM, Gamewiz wrote: Oh, I was searching online and I couldn't find a definite answer... Oh well.

Anyway, I've been looking through some of my settings and fixed some minor issues... I wish everything worked for Ubuntu, I would make it my only OS.

blaem teh system

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 16:14:55

At 8/3/10 02:29 PM, thenewbies wrote:
At 8/3/10 02:17 PM, Gamewiz wrote: Oh, I was searching online and I couldn't find a definite answer... Oh well.

blaem teh system

Its the man trying to keep us down man!
Fight the power!

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 19:19:06

At 8/3/10 02:17 PM, Gamewiz wrote: I've been looking through some of my settings and fixed some minor issues... I wish everything worked for Ubuntu, I would make it my only OS.

You can run Windows exe files on Ubuntu with an application called WINE, but WINE is still in development, and its performance overall is crap. But it's good if you absolutely need to run something. If it's a game, there could be a port to Ubuntu, and many programs have an Ubuntu alternative, so WINE is a good backup application to run if those don't exist.

You can find it in the software centre. If you don't know where it is already, it's applications>Ubuntu software centre.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 19:58:41

At 8/3/10 07:19 PM, thenewbies wrote:
You can run Windows exe files on Ubuntu with an application called WINE, but WINE is still in development, and its performance overall is crap. But it's good if you absolutely need to run something. If it's a game, there could be a port to Ubuntu, and many programs have an Ubuntu alternative, so WINE is a good backup application to run if those don't exist.

You can find it in the software centre. If you don't know where it is already, it's applications>Ubuntu software centre.

Well then I guess when WINE becomes perfect then I'll get to fix to changing my OS.

Also, When I type my cursor randomly switches places and stops me from typing, or types in the wrong place... Why is that and how can I fix it? Also, sometimes it goes back a few web pages from where I was.. fairly annoying. How can I fix these issues?

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 20:24:47

Soo, I was wondering if I can join this. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, I downgraded from 10.10, and I got Flash MX. I 'll post a screenshot if you really want me to, but currently I'm not on my computer.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 20:32:47

At 8/3/10 07:58 PM, Gamewiz wrote: Also, When I type my cursor randomly switches places and stops me from typing, or types in the wrong place... Why is that and how can I fix it? Also, sometimes it goes back a few web pages from where I was.. fairly annoying. How can I fix these issues?

One of the things Ubuntu does is hover focus. Something receives focus when you move your mouse over it. For example, you have two windows. You want to scroll one without changing focus of the windows. You can just move your mouse over that window and scroll. This is also true for text boxes.

Why is your mouse changing places? Are you bumping into it or something? Are you using a laptop or desktop?

At 8/3/10 08:24 PM, MiLink wrote: Soo, I was wondering if I can join this. I'm running Ubuntu 9.10, I downgraded from 10.10, and I got Flash MX. I 'll post a screenshot if you really want me to, but currently I'm not on my computer.

Well why did you downgrade? 10.04 has improvements over 9.10.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-03 21:45:41

At 8/3/10 08:32 PM, thenewbies wrote:
At 8/3/10 07:58 PM, Gamewiz wrote: Also, When I type my cursor randomly switches places and stops me from typing, or types in the wrong place... Why is that and how can I fix it? Also, sometimes it goes back a few web pages from where I was.. fairly annoying. How can I fix these issues?
One of the things Ubuntu does is hover focus. Something receives focus when you move your mouse over it. For example, you have two windows. You want to scroll one without changing focus of the windows. You can just move your mouse over that window and scroll. This is also true for text boxes.

Why is your mouse changing places? Are you bumping into it or something? Are you using a laptop or desktop?

I'm using a laptop, and I don't mean my mouse, I mean if I leave my mouse in the same place for awhile while I'm Typing, it will my typing place will switch to that place my mouse is at... and that interrupts my typing, as I have to fix what was typed in the wrong place and then re-type it in the correct place..

Also, sometimes when I'me typing and I have my mouse off to the side (in the same window) it will unselect the text box.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-04 12:59:38

:: Well why did you downgrade? 10.04 has improvements over 9.10.

Yeahhhh but I really liked 9.10 for some reason. I kinda jumped into 10.x not knowing what to expect but I knew what to expect from my previous versions.

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-04 21:38:09

At 8/4/10 12:59 PM, MiLink wrote:
Well why did you downgrade? 10.04 has improvements over 9.10.
Yeahhhh but I really liked 9.10 for some reason. I kinda jumped into 10.x not knowing what to expect but I knew what to expect from my previous versions.

It just turned purple. Nothing to be afraid about. :P

At 8/3/10 09:45 PM, Gamewiz wrote: I'm using a laptop, and I don't mean my mouse, I mean if I leave my mouse in the same place for awhile while I'm Typing, it will my typing place will switch to that place my mouse is at... and that interrupts my typing, as I have to fix what was typed in the wrong place and then re-type it in the correct place..

Also, sometimes when I'me typing and I have my mouse off to the side (in the same window) it will unselect the text box.

When you're typing, keep your pointer wither in that text box, or place it somewhere empty, like your wallpaper. If you put your mouse in another text box, you'll start typing in that one instead.

Linux Users Club

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-05 00:02:43

At 8/4/10 09:38 PM, thenewbies wrote:
When you're typing, keep your pointer wither in that text box, or place it somewhere empty, like your wallpaper. If you put your mouse in another text box, you'll start typing in that one instead.

You see, I do that, but if say I leave my pointer in the text box, and its in another are of text say above in your quoted text, it will start typing there instead of where I am typing here. Of course, this only happens sometimes, not ALWAYS..

Also if I'm typing here and my pointer is off to the side, like closer to the scroll bar, but not touching it, it will randomly deselect the text box and I'll have to re select it manually...

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-05 01:22:16

I have a very annoying problem with sound... I bought the Creative Soundblaster 5.1 VX some time ago, because I needed a sound card that is supported by Windows 7. Too bad I didn't check if it was also supported by Ubuntu, because right now, it isn't.

However, I got it to work partly now with OpenSound (ALSA wouldn't work at all), but the behavior is really strange:
I have sound when I start up Ubuntu, I can hear the starting sound.
I have sound for Pidgin, I hear when new messages arrive.
I have sound in Opera. Everything I play here (flash games, videos on youtube, etc) works fine.
I have sound in Programs I start up with WINE.

However:
I have NO SOUND for any music player or video player (no sound for Rhytmbox, no sound for the video-player or VLC).

If I want to play music, I have to use foobar2000 with WINE, I also have to use VLC with WINE to watch videos with sound. But of course, this eats up the processing power of my system and the quality is really shitty for VLC.

Anybody has any idea of what I could try to get the sound fully working for Ubuntu?
Switching back to my old sound card whenever I boot up Ubuntu and then switching to the new one when I boot up Win7 is no option, btw. ^^

At 8/5/10 12:02 AM, Gamewiz wrote: Also if I'm typing here and my pointer is off to the side, like closer to the scroll bar, but not touching it, it will randomly deselect the text box and I'll have to re select it manually...

I think I know what you mean, I had the same problem with ICQ on WinXP. The chat window randomly lost focus, which was really annoying. I also never found a way to fix it.
And I also do not experience those problems you describe. For me, the text box I'm currently typing in keeps it's focus.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Linux Users Club 2010-08-05 11:53:26

At 8/5/10 01:22 AM, Haggard wrote:
At 8/5/10 12:02 AM, Gamewiz wrote: Also if I'm typing here and my pointer is off to the side, like closer to the scroll bar, but not touching it, it will randomly deselect the text box and I'll have to re select it manually...
I think I know what you mean, I had the same problem with ICQ on WinXP. The chat window randomly lost focus, which was really annoying. I also never found a way to fix it.
And I also do not experience those problems you describe. For me, the text box I'm currently typing in keeps it's focus.

Oh, well maybe its just my browser, I'm using google chrome for Linux.. So I don't know if its the program or not.. Anywaym I'll check into it.

Also, I'll look into your audio card issue, I'll let you know if I find anything.