00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Linux Users Club

49,298 Views | 413 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Linux Users Club 2013-06-21 20:29:55

At 6/20/13 01:56 AM, Wurfel-Waffles wrote:
At 5/7/13 01:55 AM, Zanthas wrote: Install Debian Minimal and get a working desktop from there. Should give you a feel of Arch minus the install process.

It's not hard at all
Awesome, thanks.

Mhm.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2013-06-27 23:15:42

At 6/27/13 07:15 PM, DecimatorOmega wrote: I'm in. Should be getting Zorin OS 7 soon.

Have you ever used GNU/Linux before?

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2013-06-29 05:50:42

At 6/27/13 11:58 PM, DecimatorOmega wrote:
At 6/27/13 11:15 PM, Zanthas wrote:
At 6/27/13 07:15 PM, DecimatorOmega wrote: I'm in. Should be getting Zorin OS 7 soon.
Have you ever used GNU/Linux before?
Nope. My first time giving it a try.

Awesome, I hope you have fun.

if you need any help, just ask

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2013-10-01 23:21:11

Trying to setup a linux system on the following ...
Intel E6600 CPU
4gb ram
64GB Crucial SSD
eVGA GT 630

I am a total beginner when it comes to linux (used Windows all my life) What would be a relatively hassle-free version for me to use?

Response to Linux Users Club 2013-10-03 22:53:05

At 10/2/13 06:25 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Linux Mint

Taken the plunge and have started to install Linux Mint 15. Don't know hwo to properly set up a SSD for Linux though, as it's not Windows 7 and doens't align the drive properly AFAICS. So I might have a very short-lived SSD here since looks like Mint doens't give me the setup option for alignment.

Response to Linux Users Club 2013-10-04 03:44:49

Urg, I've found out the hard way that using a Linux distro is tantamount to running windows with a cmd windows constantly open. >:C

Response to Linux Users Club 2013-10-04 21:13:32

At 10/4/13 04:34 PM, Elitistinen wrote: Here is the way to align the SSD...

That guide is optimized for his OCZ :(

This is what I need to be able to do

ext4 file format
4096 byte allocation unit sizes (for SSD alignment)
ensure that trim operation is enabled and working in Linux Mint 15 (Olivia)
LVM is not important, I don't plan on adding or mounting more drives later (i'm not running a server)
My SSD is a Crucial V4 Sata2 64gb, firmware S5FAMM25

Response to Linux Users Club 2014-05-12 20:10:23

So...last night I decided to take the plunge and install Lubuntu, and hell, was it a great idea. Now my question is, I installed it using Wubi and I'm wondering how to completely get rid of Windows XP.

I tried running XP on Safe Mode, and uninstalled Windows XP SP3 via the Add/Remove thing-a-ma-bobber but I may have forgotten the rest of that procedure.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to Linux Users Club 2014-06-29 19:16:02

I use Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS i386, specifying manual package selection during install. I use IceWM. It looks so much like Win9x that I almost can't stand it. In fact, the only reason I can stand it is because it is fast as hell. ROX-filer works rather nice on my system, but I did have a bit of a learning curve with the whole single-click thing.

QuakeNet channel #newgrounds.com! Stop by and say hey.

-- sedrosken, formerly known as MR-DOS

Response to Linux Users Club 2014-11-30 01:48:08

I was thinking of installing Kali or Ubuntu on my older computer, but I'm not quite sure.

Response to Linux Users Club 2014-12-03 00:42:39

At 11/30/14 01:48 AM, Immortal19 wrote: I was thinking of installing Kali or Ubuntu on my older computer,

Which one did you end up picking? How did it work out?

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2014-12-14 00:10:09

At 11/30/14 01:48 AM, Immortal19 wrote: I was thinking of installing Kali or Ubuntu on my older computer, but I'm not quite sure.

Do BackTrack even though it got discontinued.

Response to Linux Users Club 2014-12-27 13:25:10

At 11/30/14 01:48 AM, Immortal19 wrote: I was thinking of installing Kali or Ubuntu on my older computer, but I'm not quite sure.

Why does everyone always consider Kali or BT as a primary OS? It's literally just Debian with pre-installed penetration testing tools that most people in this scenario won't even use.

life can be real fuckin crazy

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2014-12-29 22:41:41

I was looking into getting a Linux distro, I already tried Ubuntu, I didn't really like it.

Are there any distros you guys would recommend? Also any guides on installation etc?

It's just something to get on my laptop, it's kinda rusty.
but i use it to browse the internet, and just fuck around in diablo 1.

Intel Celeron @1.60 ghz
512 MB RAM
32 bit os
Also it's running vista.

So if you guys could recommend any distros that would be great!

Response to Linux Users Club 2015-01-01 19:40:30

At 12/29/14 10:41 PM, w00tw00 wrote: I was looking into getting a Linux distro, I already tried Ubuntu, I didn't really like it.

Are there any distros you guys would recommend? Also any guides on installation etc?

It's just something to get on my laptop, it's kinda rusty.
but i use it to browse the internet, and just fuck around in diablo 1.

Intel Celeron @1.60 ghz
512 MB RAM
32 bit os
Also it's running vista.

So if you guys could recommend any distros that would be great!

Lubuntu considering your specs.

Or Debian with Openbox. Crunchbang is a Debian with preinstalled Openbox, consider one of those.

Your pretty limited to light desktop enviroments / window managers cause of your hw

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2015-01-01 19:41:22

@zanthas is gay smd

MODS GUNNA DELETE THIS

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2015-01-01 19:43:12

At 1/1/15 07:40 PM, Zanthas wrote: Lubuntu considering your specs.

Or Debian with Openbox. Crunchbang is a Debian with preinstalled Openbox, consider one of those.

Your pretty limited to light desktop enviroments / window managers cause of your hw

Just install Gentoo

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2015-01-06 01:32:53

I started moving Newgrounds over to Ubuntu Server 14.04.1 from Debian 7, mainly because they have better support for things like Docker (because of much newer kernels, etc.) and they use Upstart, which is pretty cool. All of our VM hosts (six now) run Ubuntu 14.04.1. Any new VM I create now uses it, and I am converting older systems over time.

Upstart allows me to do things like restart a service if it dies. With Debian, which uses the traditional SysV init, I have to use a third party package to be able to do this (like supervisor or daemontools). It's little things like this that keep me going back to Ubuntu.

I use Windows 7 on my desktops though. I can't be bothered to fuck with Linux on the desktop again. I did back in the day, and it's not much better now. I use a Linux VM but that's it.

Response to Linux Users Club 2015-01-07 22:53:53

I'm currently using Manjaro x64 XFCE. Straight Arch is a pain to install and configure, but I like having the up-to-dateness of the Arch base, so I didn't have a whole lot of options. This specific install started out with KDE but it's buggy, bloated and slow, and my computer is not what anyone can call overly fast even though I did put some money into upgrades recently. so I removed KDE and installed XFCE in its place. My GTK theme is called FlatBird and I'm using a (self) modified Flattr iconset, which, if you guys want, I will put on dropbox or something.

Yes, I'm running MS Word 2010 in WINE. Problem? (LibreOffice screws up my formatting.) I would be using 2013, the version I actually have a genuine license for, but that refuses to work in WINE and I don't feel like setting up virtualization or dual-boots so...

Linux Users Club

QuakeNet channel #newgrounds.com! Stop by and say hey.

-- sedrosken, formerly known as MR-DOS

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-04 01:43:24

What's a good distro for an old 32bit Dell computer from 2007 with 2GB RAM? :3

Love is not necessary, power is the only true necessity.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-08 18:34:49

Today I encountered my first non-superficial bug in Debian. Everything froze up, when I clicked things nothing happened BUT fortunately I had installed the gnome extension which makes the key above tab a shortcut to terminal. And terminal worked. I thought sudo killall didn't work but I'm not really familiar with the kill command, so I used kill --help. I killed every process that was 5 minutes old, then, 10, then 20.... nothing happened. But, I restarted the computer. I've had way worse crashes with Mac... where the thing is totally unresponsive. I think this bug was caused my me alternating between clam and bleach bit for some reason. Maybe be I used root priviledges in both?

opiniones meae, facta omnibus

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-08 22:31:14 (edited 2016-03-08 22:44:29)

Well I personally think it was a bug with GNOME because good ol deb's pretty little command line never failed me.
Hehe while we're on that subject... I did do something stupid today. And by today I mean about five minutes ago.
So I figured instead of downloading some gnome theme I could try editing usr/share/theme/gnome-shell.css. Well I did... and I made a backup :D But naturally I forgot the name of the backup... anyway I fucked up something and my shell got all weird and I thought to restore the default theme by sudo rm -rf usr/share/theme and then sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-themes-standard. But once I did this I was like... fuck. It deleted the "themes" folder, not just its contents, and the folder itself isn't a part of the stuff I downloaded. I don't know where the themes in installed went, but not in there. So... me, being an idiot.... thought that it all would somehow resolve itself by me turning the computer off and on again.

Nope. I bloke GNOME. Apparently one file goes missing and the whole thing goes crummmbllling down. But fortunately, debian is fine, so I don't need to bother reinstalling her. But she is in recovery mode waiting for me to figure out how to properly and safely purge and then reinstall gnome. By asking you. :D

Forward this message to 10 people in a week and save the life of my innocent computer! Help before it's too late!

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-08 22:40:32

Here's where I ping peoples that know their shit. @Neonspider @Tacticat @Dj-Ri @Bit @SansNumbers @Lich

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-08 22:58:18

At 3/8/16 10:40 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: Here's where I ping peoples that know their shit. @Neonspider @Tacticat @Dj-Ri @Bit @SansNumbers @Lich

ACK

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-08 23:00:16

At 3/8/16 10:58 PM, Bit wrote: ACK

HELPPPPP MEEEEEEEEEEEE

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-08 23:00:47

Be nice and get good linux karma.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-08 23:47:02

Note: Aptitude doesn't work, I can't purge and reinstall gnome so I don't think it can access the web. I'll need to somehow download gnome from my debian disc.

BBS Signature

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-09 00:03:05

At 3/8/16 10:40 PM, MonochromeMonitor wrote: Here's where I ping peoples that know their shit. @Neonspider @Tacticat @Dj-Ri @Bit @SansNumbers @Lich

Well in general, don't go sudo rm -rf'ing random directories you didn't manually create and set up.

Honestly it'll be a lot easier if you just reinstalled from scratch if you mess up something major like your desktop environment.

If you do want to manually fix this, good luck. Basically you'll need to figure out all the dependencies, and do a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling (and in the right order). You also may need to delete certain files or directories so they'll install "clean" again, but which ones I haven't a clue. And definitely don't do it if you're not 100% sure.

It's great that you want to play around with your system and edit files and stuff, but do keep in mind there are consequences if you mess up the wrong files. But you can just chalk it up to part of the learning experience. I don't think there's any shame in messing up your computer. But yeah sometimes it's just easier to start over, wipe the drive, and reinstall from the installation media.

You can try playing around with it some more if you like. I'm not saying you have to wipe and reinstall, but I probably would, unless it's something you think you can fix or that you can live with being broken. It's not like a userland program which, if broken, pretty much only affects one program, and can more easily be purged and tried again.

In general "sudo rm -rf" is one of those things you should stay away from unless that's *really* what you mean to do.

As to why Gnome froze up in the first place prior to your messing around with files or deleting them, it could be a bug in that extension you said you installed, it could be a problem with your graphics card, it could be a bug in Gnome itself, it could be a lot of things.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-09 01:35:15 (edited 2016-03-09 01:44:23)

At 3/9/16 12:03 AM, NeonSpider wrote: Well in general, don't go sudo rm -rf'ing random directories you didn't manually create and set up.
Honestly it'll be a lot easier if you just reinstalled from scratch if you mess up something major like your desktop environment.

Amen to that.

@MonoChromeMonitor
You should be able to remove packages with aptitude by running

aptitude remove <package name>

You can then try reinstalling the package.

Never type "rm -rf" unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing. For you, I'd also recommend throwing an "-i" option in there just in case.

Response to Linux Users Club 2016-03-09 06:23:49 (edited 2016-03-09 06:24:13)

THANK YOU!

BBS Signature