00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TarikNakich just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Server Problems

12,488 Views | 88 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:09:13

Yet again this week we're experiencing some technical difficulties. Most of our web servers are currently down and being worked on. In the meantime only a couple of web servers are up and serving out content. During this time the site will run slow, or may not respond at all. We hope to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

We currently have been hosting Newgrounds with two 100mbps pipe lines. Sometime in the next week we will be switched to a single 300mbps line which should help keep the site running better during peak hours. We also will be ordering a half dozen new web servers and another new beast of a server to replace the beast of a server we recently got for our database server! Our current database server has 6 GIGs of RAM and the new on may have as much as 24 GIGs of RAM! The current database server will replace our current file server.

Hopefully with these upgrades the site will again run smooth and be less likely to go down for extended periods of time.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:15:21

At 9/26/03 06:09 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Yet again this week we're experiencing some technical difficulties. Most of our web servers are currently down and being worked on. In the meantime only a couple of web servers are up and serving out content. During this time the site will run slow, or may not respond at all. We hope to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

It's encouraging to get an official news post about this, thanks.

Does this mean that all the various errors this week were caused by similar problems at the hosting facility? By that, I mean the 3 hours on Sunday, the 8 hours of level 30 glitch/only the BBS working on Thursday, and then of course the 12 hours of just plain no NG at all today, Friday.

Hopefully with these upgrades the site will again run smooth and be less likely to go down for extended periods of time.

It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't go down in the middle of the night when no one can fix it, apparently. Anywho, thanks for the update.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:15:32

OK sounds cool, any updates are awsome. Thank you for informing us

:P

Like pears in rain.

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:15:45

Well, these diffikultiez of which you speak ARE frustrating for NG luvaz like me, but itz great newz 2 hear that you guyz are alwayz workin hard 2 keep thingz up 2 par. Stayin on ya A game ain't EZ, kinda like pimpin and bein green . . . but you guyz do them ALL well, and with style. Don't sweat it though, cuz you've got mad loyalistz like me who will never stray. UR kingz of ya trade . . . if NG wuz Ruff Ryderz, you'd be like DMX (well, Tom would be), and my konstiuentz would be ya dawgz. So
Good
lookin
out.

Server Problems

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:19:17

Yay! I got to deposit my exp. before the day ended. I was getting worried. Great job Wade and the rest of you NG team!

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:24:51

yay finally! i kinda have a crappy connection, so it seems like its running a lot better now. at least i dont have to wait for 5 minutes for a page to load up only to say "this page cannot be displayed" like this morning.......

snyggys

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:47:58

well 16k oughta be enough for anyone, really
- bill gates

w00t that is awesome, hurry please i nearly killed myself because i couldn't connect

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:50:23

s'all good s'all good
i hate those little pricks complaining, then later complaining on how newgrounds sux....
id like to c them have a website thats better... its so amazingly frustrating.... stupid little jerks....they dont know half the probs wit websites..... and 24 gigs or ram!!!!!!!!! holy shiznat i only have 1024!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 18:54:11

thanks for telling us i was getting worried for a bit wow 24 gigs of ram lol i hardly have that much harddrive space.

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 19:03:00

At 9/26/03 06:47 PM, Death_Slammer wrote: well 16k oughta be enough for anyone, really
- bill gates

I thought he said 640k should be enough.

w00t that is awesome, hurry please i nearly killed myself because i couldn't connect

... please... step BACK from the keyboard... do NOT attempt to use the computer any longer.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 19:05:10

dam the last server up date was only a few months ago and it is already slow.......dam that must suck

oh and how much do these things cost

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 19:13:36

I felt sadness when NG didn't respond, it felt like I was being rejected. As if Ng was saying, leave dumbass and don't come back, our servers don't like you!!!

Whatever the problem NG has you guys always seem to fix it. That's good to know.

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 19:17:49

Does that explain why the Flash Portal wasn't loading flashes and the other parts of the site were working? Flashes obviously take up much more bandwidth than, say the BBS. It was very frustrating not being able to get those blam/protection points.

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 19:42:07

At 9/26/03 06:09 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Yet again this week we're experiencing some technical difficulties. Most of our web servers are currently down and being worked on. In the meantime only a couple of web servers are up and serving out content. During this time the site will run slow, or may not respond at all. We hope to have this issue resolved as soon as possible.

We currently have been hosting Newgrounds with two 100mbps pipe lines. Sometime in the next week we will be switched to a single 300mbps line which should help keep the site running better during peak hours. We also will be ordering a half dozen new web servers and another new beast of a server to replace the beast of a server we recently got for our database server! Our current database server has 6 GIGs of RAM and the new on may have as much as 24 GIGs of RAM! The current database server will replace our current file server.

Yeah I came on two hours ago, there were 30 movies under judgement, but a lot of blams/saves came with them.

Good thing you're getting new servers, the ones you have seem to be breaking down a bit, but this is good news. You're getting a new monster server with more RAM, they say good things come to those who wait, the news you're getting more servers will hold me from complaining about slowness.:P

Will the site be down while you're installing the new servers?? And when will you need to get a new switch to plug these things into?

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 19:45:52

At 9/26/03 07:34 PM, Waq wrote: does this also explain why There is more than 30 UJ movies in the portal?A lack of voters?

Yep, people were able to SUBMIT flash to newgrounds, but nobody could VOTE on any of them because the flash never loaded so the vote panel wouldn't show up either. I was able to vote on them once in a while by restarting my computer like 10 times. Every time, I found about 2 or 3 actually worked!

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 19:52:27

At 9/26/03 07:45 PM, LockClock wrote:
Yep, people were able to SUBMIT flash to newgrounds, but nobody could VOTE on any of them because the flash never loaded so the vote panel wouldn't show up either. I was able to vote on them once in a while by restarting my computer like 10 times. Every time, I found about 2 or 3 actually worked!

You're right, all I could do was to look for the smallest flash I could find and wait 2-3 minutes for it to load, and I have DSL internet.

Good thing Wade and everyone can fix these problems quickly, or else I'd go insane by not being able to log in for more than a day!!!!
GO WADE!!!!

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 20:26:35

That sucks, no wonder Ive been having problems. Hope you guys fix it, cuz I didnt get my ex. points last night!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 20:41:55

What's up with all the slow loading pages and movies?I have Comcast Highspeed internet and is still havin problems tryin to watch some movies..Can someone please try harder to fix these problems?!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 20:42:11

At 9/26/03 06:09 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Our current database server has 6 GIGs of RAM and the new on may have as much as 24 GIGs of RAM!

Holy Shit, Batman! That's one mother-fucking powerhouse of a server!

I'm just glad newgrounds is back. Again.

"A witty quote proves nothing."

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 20:45:55

I almost forgot to ask... how fast is this new server?

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 20:55:43

At 9/26/03 06:09 PM, WadeFulp wrote: In the meantime only a couple of web servers are up and serving out content. During this time the site will run slow, or may not respond at all.

Well, good to see that it's back up. Get the 24 gig server up soon!

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 20:58:54

At 9/26/03 08:45 PM, TheShrike wrote: I almost forgot to ask... how fast is this new server?

It will be a dual processor, not sure what the Mhz will be, something over 2Ghz I assume. Not sure if the 3Ghz+ chips are road tested enough yet to go with them. It will also have dual RAIDs, dual power supplies, etc.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 21:11:21

I'm drooling, man... Of course, I would never have the personal need for such horsepower myself, but it's still drool-worthy.

~Voltaire

BBS Signature

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 21:39:17

i hope those new web servers are here soon....

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 21:51:13

huh so thats why i couldnt get on hope u get everything fixed

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 22:11:58

i noticed this problem last night when i made one post and couldnt get on to any pages to post more. but i guess this slow time will make up for the uber-fast times later. =)

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 22:13:15

At 9/26/03 06:09 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

In the meantime only a couple of web servers are up and serving out content. During this time the site will run slow, or may not respond at all.

Our current database server has 6 GIGs of RAM and the new on may have as much as 24 GIGs of RAM! The current database server will replace our current file server.

I noticed Newgrounds had been lagging alot. I thought it was just my computer, though. Glad to hear Newgrounds will be getting more RAM space!

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 22:19:31

You know, even when this site is extremely slow...it doesn't stop me much. I like it too much. Hopefully, this will solve all of YOUR problems. It must be stressful to think everything is going okay, just to discover that something else needs tweaking. You guys are doing a great job though, so don't sweat it.

Server Problems

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 22:44:52

Thanks for the heads up Wade.

Response to Server Problems 2003-09-26 22:48:51

damn it aint just this week for me...well my pc's full of useless shit anyway...ok i'm going to go waste more time watching college U....cyas