00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MrMeltingPoint just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Who inspires you?

3,388 Views | 30 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 18:10:15

C'mon who inspires you? Try and keep them to a ten list minimum just so we don't have some kid who floods the page with everyone in his downloads folder. So yeah go for it, ten. If you can, include why.

1. Pole: Pole practically nailed what I had been trying to do when I first started making electronic music, a real glitchy sound. Becuase he used a broken TR-909(or so I hear) his music has a weird, popping and cracking effect that I can't emulate as well as I'd like. His latest album Steingarten became one of my regular listens.

2. Philip Glass: No one nails repetative music like Philip Glass. Songs built around themselves, and as such, progress in a much more subtle way, but after listening to his string quintet play an Aaugmented arpeggio for 5 minutes when that top trumpet melody comes in it feels all the more epic. Koyaanisqatsi define film music for me.

3. Dust Brothers: The Dust Brothers are two of the best producers I can think of. Having done the Fight Club soundtrack, they sort of got under-rated under all the awesome hype surrounding the dvd release of the film. While the film is great, I consider the soundtrack better. With an incredibly inventive use of samples, and with the substance equal to their style. They really narrowed their music down to a catchy, dark caricatuer of modern life.

4: Aphex Twin. You can't have an electronic artist not have Aphex Twin in his top influances, it's unheard of. Drukqs and Selected Ambient Works contain some of my all time favourite songs.

5: Boards Of Canada: When I first heard them I thought it was all boring mid-range dirge, but then you sliten again and again and you hear litereally hundreds of things you havn't heard before. Smokes Quantity is my favourite song.

6: Miles Davis: Miles Davis' Bitches Brew contained some of the best jazz improvisation I've ever heard. And while you can't really improve while mixing and creating music on a computer, you can fuck about and record whatever you do and then try and mix it into whatever stupid thing you recorded 5 minutes ago. Brilliant.

7: Radiohead. Kid A/Amnesiac is what got me into electronic music, having only ever really heard Autechre beforehand, my electronic music knowledge wasn't very broad. But it was a great surprise to hear people doing this in a band, and executed so well. Kid A is one of my favourite albums, with Amnesiac containing my favourite Radiohead songs. Also, Kid A and Amnesiac spurred the greated Radiohead b-sides aswell.

8: Autechre. Ultra dub, synth-tastic, dance. The ultra low key dance songs really clicked with me. Focusing on the beat and everything surrounding it rather than the melody/vocal line over the top of it, it really felt like Autechre tried turning the properties of 90s dance music around. And while it had been done before. No one did quite like Autechre, quite as well, or quite as inventive and original.

9: Beach Boys. Now some people dislike me saying this. But Pet Sounds, was better than SGT Pepper's. I love the Beatles, but the Beach Boys just got it right, like perfect right. Pet Sounds is quite possibly my favourite album ever. Pet Sounds being one of the most popular experiemental commercial pop albums of all time, it set the bar for what could be achieved with imagination and patience. Using bike bells and recorders for melody lines rather than vocals. And then using vocals to soothe you through it all the way over the top. They experimented with themselves, as well how to write music. This also spawned lots of classical music in the 60s/70s to do the same.

10: Kraftwerk. Autobahn is why electronic music is so great. The versitility of it, the immense things you can do. And mroe importantly, the simplicity of it. Certain electronic albums create the feel of busyness to a point of confusion. And while making electronic music can be difficult, when learning coding for Max and Reaktor, and other music/macro creating programs. It's all relatively simple realistically. It's all things clipped together in certain ways, and this was what Autobahn was. A series of events, clipped together, really well. Kraftwerk made computerized music not just to make music with sounds people hadn't heard before, but to make it simpler, so that there were clear central themes you could focus on. While this isn't to everyones taste, thinking that they must be taken at face-value and aren't 'growers', they'd be wrong. Autobahn defined Kraftwerk for me, and really, you have to listen to it ten times to even begin to understand it.

ps: if there are spelling mistakes, fuck off. I'm not spell-checking all that.

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 18:14:02

Nice...

My influences... too lazy to explain:

Spor
Omni Trio
Daft Punk
Armin Van Buuren

That should be enough to keep you all busy.

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 18:20:55

It's pretty much the artist that I'm currently listening to. Right now, it'd have to be Cordis and Cape Town, both awesome trance artists in my book. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 18:21:51

At 2/26/08 06:14 PM, navij11 wrote: Nice...

My influences... too lazy to explain:

I'ma use NG Artists, kk?

-Dimrain47
inspired me to get my first program.

-DaGrahamCraka
inspired me to upload to NG

YOU GUYS!
inpired me to make a list of people who inspire me

Nav, i need Mediafire .wav's, K?

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 19:20:26

Tupac shakur - the man who introduced me to hip-hop

I am a hacker of a Nu-Aira

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 19:25:32

Nearly every song I listen to influences my music, when I hear diffrent songs I listen to the different techniques the artists use. I can honestly say, that once I had learned how to make music I now listen to music in a completely different way.

But mostly Hixxy, Styles, Sharkey and the rest of the Raver Baby crew have influenced me alot.

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 19:45:13

Charlie Parker, James Brown, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Herbie Hancock, Duke Ellington, all the greats of jazz and funk. I do like electronic and trance music a lot, but i dont know where to get started, artist wise, like who to listen too, which artists do which style, etc.

Need a jazz or rock or roll Tenor sax recording? Try me :D

made by muffdiver102

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 21:40:23

Chronamut- He was the first guy on the Audio Portal that I listened to, and he was also the guy that made me think "Fuck, that's EASY! I can do that!"

Since been proven wrong. :D

MaestroRage- Mostly influenced my newer orchestrated stuffz. Most recently (and most obviously for me) was Memories Before Death where I tried to do MaestroRage better than him. :D

DavidOrr- About the same reason as MR- high quality orchestrated music. "I can do that shit."

Since been proven wrong.

Philip Glass- He has been the single greatest influence on my piano playing in songs. While MR and DO seem to rely more on a wide spectrum of instruments to carry them through a song, I always find myself relying more and more on a piano to carry the main melody and keep the song interesting.

Weird Al- Probably the first music I actually listened to. And relistened to.

And listened again. His stuff was always awesome. And still is.

Rave4Yourself (I call him Sasha)- Definitely an electronic music king. I've never been able to really nail that electrotranceravemachine sound that he has- and I really want to.

B0UNC3- Mostly for giving me a bar to attain as far as techno/trance goes.

Bitch is gonna die. :D

And that's about it, really. Fuck other people. All of them. Especially you, Rig. Fucking Rig.

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 21:51:17

For the type of music I write I would have to say Rob Dougan, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Dream Theater, and Kanye West.

Click the Sig for mind expanding Hip-Hop

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 22:08:16

Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Peter Sculthorpe, Tchaikowsky, Richard Strauss, Scott Joplin, John Williams, MaestroRage, DavidOrr. The Living End, Augie March, Fourth Floor Collapse, Muse. Daft Punk, Waterflame, cornandbeans.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 22:12:21

At 2/26/08 09:40 PM, SolusLunes wrote: And that's about it, really. Fuck other people. All of them. Especially you, Rig. Fucking Rig.

Well fuck fuckity fuckiddly fuckersaurus mcfuckerson you too.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 22:30:29

At 2/26/08 10:12 PM, Rig wrote:
At 2/26/08 09:40 PM, SolusLunes wrote: And that's about it, really. Fuck other people. All of them. Especially you, Rig. Fucking Rig.
Well fuck fuckity fuckiddly fuckersaurus mcfuckerson you too.

Hi there, Rig :D

you fucking assface

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 22:40:10

At 2/26/08 06:10 PM, Twoism wrote: C'mon who inspires you? Try and keep them to a ten list minimum just so we don't have some kid who floods the page with everyone in his downloads folder. So yeah go for it, ten. If you can, include why.

1. This would have to be my dad. He taught me how to play guitar (on an acoustic) and also supported me in my piano lessons. He also introduced me to alot folk and bluegrass music, which I've grown to like more and help support/pay for my me to pursue a sound recording degree. With out him I wouldn't be here right now.

2. Dream Theater, probably the most instramentaly talented band ever, no exaguation. They praticaly created progressive rock/metal, with an amazing blend of instramental rock, Jazz Fusion, and prog metal. I've modled my style of playing piano and keyboards after Jordan Rudess, and I admire their unique style of composing.

3. Kamelot, when it comes to elusive and melodic metal Kamelot band to look to. The brillance in their song writing is what inpires me the most, that and how Kahn seems to suduce your mind with his powerful, epic, and enchanting vocals and then when the guitar comes in with melodics riffs and sweepping arpagios it seems to just give your brain a phycolgical orgasam. My #1 influence when comes to lyrics.

4. DJ Shadow, not my typical genre, but you got give the points for origenality taking old vynal records and manipulating them to make a whole new genre of ambiant electronic/hip hop, noe thats inovation.

There are others but those are the big ones for me

WUML Lowell 91.5 FM - Real Underground Radio

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 23:11:05

DJ Demolic
KMFDM
ohGr
Skinny Puppy
The Prodigy
DJ Derrick

Now known as: StupibleThwomp

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 23:15:29

I could be here all day talking about this, but I only have so many characters to use...

Video Games and Movies- I'm not even gonna try and name em all, but many MANY game and movie soundtracks have influenced my taste in music.

Tool- I always loved there intense and ambient sound. Plus, Lateralus is one of the best rock recordings in existence.

Earth, Wind, and Fire- How many of ya'll know these guys? A funk/soul band from the 70's. Their music is immortal. Unbelievably talented musicians and singers.

Led Zeppelin- No explanation needed.
...okay lazy mode engage...
The Apex Theory
BT
Rush- One of the first true progressive rock bands (you'll see where Dream Theater gets it)
Dream Theater
Radiohead
Boom Boom Satellites
Yoko Kanno- Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, etc.
Gustav Holst- listen to "The Planets"
Israel and New Breed-
Nobuo Uematsu
Vince Guaraldi- He wrote the Charlie Brown music
Between The Buried and Me
Opeth
The Derek Trucks Band
The Allman Brothers

I'm just gonna stop there...

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-26 23:15:39

I too, am going to use Newgrounds artists for mine, I mean, NG is the main place where I hear most of my music and I can compare myself to tohers bacause they are using the same program as me.

Inpirational Artists:
1. F-777: Was the first person I 'met on Newgrounds and has been kind and full of advice ever since. He is constantly providing the Audio Portal with songs that I not only love, but try to match in quality and style. He is a great artist and inspires alot of the stuff I do.
2. Kr1z: Pretty much the same as F-777. He pumps out awesome songs EVERY TIME and is happy to help me with my FL problems. The difference however, is that Kr1z's songs somehow seem (not wanting to say 'better') unique to others. He really knows how to make a trance song and its his style that I try to copy/perfect.
3. B0UNC3: While I don't know him as well as other artists, his songs are SO GOOD, theres a reason why he has so many fans on NG. His massive attention to detail inspires me to put in a little extra time tweaking the various aspects of my songs.
4. MaestroRage: Reminds me that, in contrast with my original thoughts, you CAN make beautiful classical songs using a computer.
5. My Fans: While there arent that many, the people that consistently come back to my songs and review them positivley and show so much support for me are one of my greatest insirations. The feeling I get when so many people enjoy my music...just makes me want to do more!

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 00:01:29

Nine Inch Nails, from their pop synth "Pretty Hate Machine" to the organic "The Fragile" and intricate "Downward Spiral" releases... then on to their hard rock "With Teeth" album. "Year Zero" is alright, but not really an influential work in my opinion.

Rammstein, Eisbrecher... just recently broke into NHD, loving it so far.

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 10:42:38

Michiru Yamane: The composer of Castlevania: Symphony of the night, Lament of innocence, Curse of darkness and more. Very cool music she can come up with.

Koji Kondo: The composer of most of the classic nintendo games (mario and zelda for instance). He came up with most of the best game music and he is still owning most of the videogame composers. John Williams made his own version of the Zelda theme. Good stuff!

Mozart: I have always loved Mozart.. he came up with his requiem when he was dying in his bed, he never finished it because he died before that. One of the most touching pieces i have ever heard. I see him as one of the great geniouses from this world EVER!

Chopin: He was perhaps one of the greatest Pianists and composers ever. He has his "own sound" with the piano. He was the man who could find the "kling and klang" (if that makes any sense haha :D) But anyway, really great composer!

Dionysus: Right now, they have 3 albums. It's hard to find a song that is NOT good. Really good guitarist's, strong melodies and my favorite singer (it's the same singer Luca Turilli has in his older albums) When i listen to them i get inspired to make some friggid METAL d00d!

There is much more bands/composers that get me inspired but it's really hard to remember those right now. Also i like John Williams and Danny Elfman

A LIST of every song we uploaded and a small description followed.

Newest song HERE

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 10:58:55

all pianists:P

Saint Germain, introduced me to acid jazz
Faithless, introduced me to dance, techno
Lou Donaldson, introduced me to great sax
Herbie hancock, introduced me to superb solo's and nice synthesizing
billy preston, introduced me to jazz blues piano
bob marley, introduced me to reggae

NG Radio - A superb podcast with good songs from the NG Audio Portal

Get Respect from me=)

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 11:07:19

Alphebetically-
I'm fogetting hundreds.
Aphex Twin ,Boards of Canada, Johnny Cash,www.n8-music.com, Nine Inch Nails, Pearl Jam, R.A.T.M, The Books,Tom Waits, TOOL,Venetian Snares

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 11:15:31

Dunno...

Koji Kondo, Mozart... Martin Leung probably too. Jack Penate recently :P

I don't have fixed influences thou, I just keep listening to music and think of motifs and all that stuff when inspired.

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 11:50:58

Cordis
e:MORTAL
East Clubbers
Nathan Profitt (AKA Technova)
ZENON (lol canadians)

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 11:55:27

Liam Howlett (The Prodigy), The Chemical Brothers and Fatboy Slim... ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 12:42:39

in no particular order

prodigy- first cd i ever bought and still the best drum sounds ever
estradasphere- so many styles, so much fun on the ears
mike patton- so many side projects, so many new and awsome sounds
mud honey- for making a great sound
frank zappa- when hes bad he really sucks, but when hes good hes one of a kind. and for working non stop until he died.

please spamwangle responsibly.

here

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 13:04:23

Lamb of God got me into music a few years before I started producing, or playing.
It was Randy Blythe's voice that nailed it.
Apart from the fact it was the first screaming I'd ever heard, he is just pure legend.

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 14:15:48

Rob Mayth
Hans Zimmer
Mai Gurlfwend
B0UNC3
Freddy Hawk
Billy Joel
Anyone who plays swing music
SOULJA BOI CAUSE HES SO DAMN ORIGINAL (JK I hate the guy)
yeah... and others I cant think of right now

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 15:37:55

WritersBlock: A good artist in just about any genre. He is also my mentor.

PaulStetich: The guy who inspired me to remix Sonic songs. he's good. I mean really good.

what happened to this place?

Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 15:56:34

I'm can be inspired by many things, different musicians you know the usual. What inspires me the most is thinking how the people write their music, you know how its different from me.

Aphex Twin - An obvious one for me. He is still my favorite artists of all time, and I absolutely love his works, all different styles and everything.

Mogwai - Inspired me to bring out my acoustic and guitar in my music. Its just something about that soft post-rock soundscape that really gets to me.

Squarepusher - Pretty much got me into electronic music alongside Aphex Twin. I love how he intertwines his bass guitar with his drillnbass style. Very inspiring.

Deftones - I'm not sure why, but they always inspire me from their stlye changes to their experimental music.

Boards of Canada - Wonderful soundscapes to dream off into. Who couldn't love this?

Phillip Glass - Some music I grew up on. I agree with Twoism that he is my favorite minimalistic composer, and orchestral composer.

Those a few big ones. Many more for me.

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 15:56:41

Man, freaking everything XD but my top 5 are:
1. The Crystal Method
2. Calyx
3. Concord Dawn
4. DJ Tiesto
5. DJ Hixxy

I'm back!

Sanity is grossly overrated and detrimental to the creative process.

SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Response to Who inspires you? 2008-02-27 18:34:21

At 2/27/08 03:56 PM, TheComet wrote: 4. DJ Tiesto

-.-