00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

957,921 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 21:33:31

At 11/20/10 09:27 PM, Hyptosis wrote:
At 11/20/10 09:24 PM, Luis wrote:
At 11/20/10 03:11 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: welp, now that the entire art forum is a free for all, we don't really need a lounge, huh?!

RIP Art forum lounge! it was fun while it lasted!
i unlocked this. feel free to give me a black eye renae!

<3
Thanks man, way to step up too. We'll get our shit together in no time, act like civil folk again. :D

It's already happening. The hostility is gone, anyways, and people seem to be settling down with the change. I think most of us feel rather silly for our reactions.

Thanks, Luis, for reopening this. I think this thread is necessary, because it's nice to have a place where the regs can talk about things other than art and can have some discussion about the art forum as a whole.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 21:36:21

With the lounge reopened feelings of normalcy seem to be taking root. I'm sorry guys for any crap I posted.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 22:45:06

At 11/20/10 09:47 PM, FBIpolux wrote: Nae, I think it's useless to feel emo and shit about all that New Rules stuff.

YEAH NAE

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:23:58

At 11/20/10 09:47 PM, FBIpolux wrote: Nae, I think it's useless to feel emo and shit about all that New Rules stuff.
I know how people hate change, but change's change and you can't change it.

You're 100% right about the emo part... but 100% wrong about the cause.
So I'm gonna head back to the kitchen to make a sammich... can I get anyone anything?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:33:25

I know how people hate change, but change's change and you can't change it.

Yeah, cuz this is about rules, right? This shitstorm is about how some anal regs and mods have their heads too far up their own asses to realize what's really good for the forum, right?

Protip dude: this is about a lack of communication.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:34:14

At 11/20/10 11:23 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: You're 100% right about the emo part... but 100% wrong about the cause.
So I'm gonna head back to the kitchen to make a sammich... can I get anyone anything?

If you only you could digitally send sammiches...

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:38:48

The song that sums up the day is Bohemian Rhapsody

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:39:24

Wow. Just wow. I've been out. Drinking. Since about 2. And I come back and think "What's going on in the Forum?"

Wow.

It'd help if I wasn't drunk.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:43:30

Finally, all the crap that's been happening is already over! But I gotta admit it was fun to spam the forum.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:46:50

At 11/20/10 11:43 PM, Fifty-50 wrote: Finally, all the crap that's been happening is already over! But I gotta admit it was fun to spam the forum.

Eh, I didn't think this was fun at all. Our forum got torn to shreds and we basically had to give in and accept it.
I've not got too much against the staff members, but I'd have rather this not have happened.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:48:39

At 11/20/10 11:46 PM, Luxembourg wrote: I've not got too much against the staff members, but I'd have rather this not have happened.

We should collab on a drawing or do an art trade. Also, I agree

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-20 23:50:14

At 11/20/10 11:34 PM, MajesticBob wrote: If you only you could digitally send sammiches...

I am perfectly fine with getting a sandwich through the mail

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 00:02:21

At 11/20/10 11:50 PM, M-Vero wrote:
At 11/20/10 11:34 PM, MajesticBob wrote: If you only you could digitally send sammiches...
I am perfectly fine with getting a sandwich through the mail

Oh damn! Good idea! Rae can you please snail mail us some Sammiches?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 01:06:28

Now I have a chainsaw.
Ho ho ho.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 01:11:28

At 11/21/10 01:06 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Now I have a chainsaw.
Ho ho ho.

I've been a fist since forever...

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 01:16:01

Also, I come back after being away for like 7/8 hours and what I said on page 2 of that accursed thread took 3 more pages for others to say.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 02:14:11

I may have commented in one of the joke threads earlier, but.... I think I really missed something today o.0...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 07:45:00

At 11/21/10 02:14 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: I may have commented in one of the joke threads earlier, but.... I think I really missed something today o.0...

You might as well stick around. I mean, it's going to be a little bit weird in here for a while yet...

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 08:16:57

At 11/21/10 02:14 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: I may have commented in one of the joke threads earlier, but.... I think I really missed something today o.0...

Someday's it's kind of a good thing I've missed some of these oddities from happening.So I won't bother having to understand it.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 08:22:14

At 11/21/10 08:16 AM, argile wrote:
Someday's it's kind of a good thing I've missed some of these oddities from happening.So I won't bother having to understand it.

It's a long-term change to the forum, so, yeah, you're going to need to understand it.
It's pretty simple, though. They got rid of the "all threads must start with a piece of original art" rule.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 08:33:15

At 11/21/10 08:22 AM, Luxembourg wrote:
At 11/21/10 08:16 AM, argile wrote:
It's a long-term change to the forum, so, yeah, you're going to need to understand it.
It's pretty simple, though. They got rid of the "all threads must start with a piece of original art" rule.

I could take into study all of the inner workings of each of these posts all I want but I don't feel like should conform myself into having these sort of believes. There has to be at least some structure
Has everyone gotten loose for once? It all seems like a joke.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 08:37:12

At 11/21/10 08:33 AM, argile wrote:

I could take into study all of the inner workings of each of these posts all I want but I don't feel like should conform myself into having these sort of believes. There has to be at least some structure

You don't have to analyze the situation, just understand that the rule is gone.
People went on a spam spree to show protest, in vain.
It's not a joke. The rule really is gone, and we really did riot in response to that.
It's calmed down now, but the rule's gone for good, I think.

My Art Thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 08:53:07

Yeah, argile, it does seem like a joke, doesn't it?

The original structure of this forum, the way things worked has been changed, for better or worse.

Anyway, threads will no longer be locked for lacking a starting picture, that's the rule change.

This affects everyone who uses the forum and the way they use the forum. It kind of opens the forum up to a lot of things, good and bad, and kind of eliminates the need for the lounge. But whatever...

The main reason why everyone 'got loose' was because the rules were changed without any real forethought, consultation or consideration for the community that uses this forum, after all it's not really about changing the rules, it's about a community and what works for that community and not what works for certain parties.

There was a minor rebellion and, basically we all got told to 'get used to it, this is the way things are done. It's only a rule change after all.'

Which, of course misses the point entirely.

That's my beef, the way I see it, I believe staff may see things differently.
Again, nothing to be done now but try to figure out how to get the rule change to work for the community.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 10:22:09

At 11/21/10 08:53 AM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
Yeah, argile, it does seem like a joke, doesn't it?

The original structure of this forum, the way things worked has been changed, for better or worse.

Anyway, threads will no longer be locked for lacking a starting picture, that's the rule change.

This affects everyone who uses the forum and the way they use the forum. It kind of opens the forum up to a lot of things, good and bad, and kind of eliminates the need for the lounge. But whatever...

The main reason why everyone 'got loose' was because the rules were changed without any real forethought, consultation or consideration for the community that uses this forum, after all it's not really about changing the rules, it's about a community and what works for that community and not what works for certain parties.

There was a minor rebellion and, basically we all got told to 'get used to it, this is the way things are done. It's only a rule change after all.'

Which, of course misses the point entirely.

That's my beef, the way I see it, I believe staff may see things differently.
Again, nothing to be done now but try to figure out how to get the rule change to work for the community.

Thats understandable. I just think the rules were so outdated that it seemed like a knee jerk reaction to just mark them out. I think if there was any foresight into the resentment it would cause then yes im sure liljim (whomever) woulda ctrl-z and gone through a round of consultation. Cause I mean lets face it, the art forum belongs to you all, the art community, so it was in no means a form of intimidation or any sort of ill-feelings.
Anyway as you said, whats done is done. Hindsight is always 20/20 and if anything, its a good way of gaining some learning from it.

Anyway im still waiting on my black eye. Hope Renae comes back soon with those sandwiches.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 10:47:36

I could just make everybody sandwiches.
I am the sandwich king.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 11:08:36

At 11/21/10 10:47 AM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: I could just make everybody sandwiches.
I am the sandwich king.

Sandwhich king*

AWESO!

Baby, baby, baby oooooh, like baby, baby, baby noooooooo,

I'm gonna need more Whiskey for this

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 11:37:20

I tried out general yesterday... big mistake. It reminds me of the first time I went to 4chan out of curiosity...

Super cereal...

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 11:51:50

At 11/21/10 10:47 AM, gmanthesandwhichking wrote: I could just make everybody sandwiches.
I am the sandwich king.

ummm..... sammach.....

anyway, I recall us discussing rule change suggestions a few pages back, so I guess that something like this should have been somewhat expected. Over all, I don't think things will change all that much. To be honest, I mean a lot of the new comers didn't read the rules in the first place, so now they just don't get busted for it. I don't think we'll be over run, but we will probably get a few more threads to liven up the place a tad. Sure it might be a bit more annoying to see a user constantly making a thread for every little thing he wants to talk about.
As for the lounge, I think that the rule change makes it more useful than ever. we have used the lounge for just about discussion on everything, so it will be a chaotic oasis in our new desert of turmoil.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 11:59:04

well, now everyone has calmed down and had a sleep... just a lot of over reacting... will the rule change make much difference?... not really IMHO... people will post the threads like they used to... people might say a word or two... but instead of been locked they will just float into the void of unknown topics... i just found the locking system usefull to see which topics were worth a look in... theres going to be a lot of similar threads each week most likey... like "how can i paint better" or "how do i draw better" with no starting pictures and people just asking... im not saying thats a bad things but how do we know there is any point in telling them if they arnt prepaired to show they are willing to put the effort back in?... just my view on topics like that...

but we will see what happens...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-21 12:01:52

At 11/21/10 11:51 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Sure it might be a bit more annoying to see a user constantly making a thread for every little thing he wants to talk about.

In regards to new people coming, they will be as it always was, someone comes in suggesting a collab they cannot actually make, or asking for some kind of art to be done or why aren't they scouted.

This small trickle of new people will probably be turned off, because of regulars who form close a knit group. If anything if some of these people stick around it'll be because some of the semi-regular people encourage the new people to stay, and in general it'll just create an alternate group of regulars who will have different philosiphies and as a whole will probably slowly but surely create a rift that will cause some of the current regulars to retire and the rest to be somewhat bitter and nostalgic for the times before this.

If this is anything like the forums I used to frequent

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature