00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4DottorTette7 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Bvg Collab

10,470 Views | 210 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Bvg Collab 2008-01-04 09:10:28

Permission to collab is provided by Rucklo.

This is a collab that centers around audio. I share leadership with WritersBlock.
For some details see his userpage.
More details are below.
In addition to what was posted on WritersBlock's post on the Collab, we will also be making video game remixes of Sonic the Hedgehog, Mario, and Megaman games. WritersBlock and I share leadership of the Sonic music, WritersBlock has leadership over the Mario music and I have leadership over Megaman. In addition to music we will be featuring Sprite and Web comics, Neat information on the three video game icons and their games, and some other things.
Mizox will be contributing indirectly by providing third party audio and web comics.
Everything will be original.
A member list is provided below at the bottom of this post.
Everything will be smacked up into a flash movie.

Rules:
1. No spam. This is a given--the BBS rules is still valid here.
2. Relate to the collab. Any post here must in someway be relevant to this collab.
3. You just can't join. If you wish to join this collab, you must PM either me, or WritersBlock, you must provide a reason why you desire a part in this collab, you must show a sample of your music, Web/Sprite Comic, FYI or otherwise. Afterwards, wait for a response.
4. You can't contribute already submitted work. Everything here should be fresh and new, audio portal included. Don't submit your contribution of music to the audio portal until the flash is finished and ready to be submitted.
5. Exchange of music should be done via email or downloadable link. When giving your music to me, you must email it to me.
My email is knux_treme89@yahoo.com. Send it there. An alternative method is to send it via downloadable link, perhaps with a myspace music aritst account, this is the safest alternative method. Use a method that is safe, I won't click on any link I don't trust.
6. No copywrited material. Although we are doing remixes, the original song(s) are prohibited from being contrubuted. We have a guardian angel watching this collab, his name is Rucklo. If any abuse is found, he will be contacted and you will be dealt with. there is only 1 strike for this rule, so be very, very careful to avoid making this mistake, asuming it is a mistake at all.
7. No crap. It is encouraged to do your best, if your skill is not up to snuff or you don't think it's up to snuff, then your time is better spent practicing instead of trying to contribute. Do not contribute deliberate crap. Your skill as an artist, either it be music, web comic, etc. will be reviewed. If you are known for submitting bad material just for the attention or otherwise, our guardian angel will be summoned to relieve you from this collab.
8. Everything will be rated. Any contribution requires a rating of 3 stars to 5, first by you, the contributer, and then by the leaders. This is relevant to making the flash
9. Trying to smartass your way around these rules will also result in our guardian angel smiting you.
There, now that the hard part is done.
The members list is currently as follows.
Name//Job
Knuxrouge//Leader, Musician, Sprite Comic, FYI, Sonic & Megaman Administrator
WritersBlock//Leader, Musician, Sonic & Mario Administrator
Mizox//VIP, Musician, Web Comic, FYI

To start things off, I have finished a Volcano Valley remix from Sonic 3D Blast.
I am currently working on a Frog Forest remix from Sonic Heroes.

what happened to this place?

Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-04 15:40:30

At 1/4/08 09:10 AM, knuxrouge wrote: Mizox//VIP, Musician, Web Comic, FYI

*chokes*
musician? me? your kidding, right? I'm about as much a musician as a frog is a lawyer

nothing is familiar...

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-05 05:42:33

You don't have to do it. Mizox.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-05 15:27:46

At 1/5/08 03:18 PM, PaulStetich wrote: I'm willing to do this, but I need my own net back first, you see my comp broke down (perhaps a sabotage, knowin this place it certainly was), so Im a little out right now, but I'll be back online soon. I been using my dads compy for everything so far.

Alright. A seat has been reserved for you.
Can't wait til you return.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-05 19:50:01

I'd be interested in joining..

Here is a sample of my older work in this area.

The Megaman 3 intro.. (before I started using VSTs.. so FL default sounds are used.. but it still is pretty good.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-05 19:59:44

At 1/5/08 07:50 PM, EchozAurora wrote: I'd be interested in joining..

Here is a sample of my older work in this area.

The Megaman 3 intro.. (before I started using VSTs.. so FL default sounds are used.. but it still is pretty good.

Even with the lack of VSTs, thats damn good.
Welcome aboard EchozAurora.

I will be issuing collab sigs to all members.
I will also be updating the members list once every page.

And lets not ever forget the unwritten 10th rule.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-05 20:17:25

id love to join, i dont have much experience in writing video game music, but im willing to give it a shot if youll let me, a sample of my better work is in my sig, tell me if you think i would be able to help

Need a jazz or rock or roll Tenor sax recording? Try me :D

made by muffdiver102

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-05 21:09:49

I wrote a comment on WritersBlock's news post with my application for a part and a 'sample'. Can't be bothered to PM anyone. Add me in if you feel like it.

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-06 01:21:46

WARNING! content may be stupid (you probably shouldn't of asked me to do this and I probably shouldn't of volunteered, I don't get out enough to make an intelligent comic)

nothing is familiar...

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-06 07:48:30

At 1/6/08 01:21 AM, Mizox wrote: WARNING! content may be stupid (you probably shouldn't of asked me to do this and I probably shouldn't of volunteered, I don't get out enough to make an intelligent comic)

Play this while looking for added hilarity.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-06 07:48:50

At 1/6/08 01:21 AM, Mizox wrote: WARNING! content may be stupid (you probably shouldn't of asked me to do this and I probably shouldn't of volunteered, I don't get out enough to make an intelligent comic)

Its good enough, 4 stars. I like it.
Everyone who asked at this point is in, I already distributed sigs. They are not mandatory, but just taking a shot at it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-06 20:28:14

I finished the Megaman X 3 intermission remix.
I give it a good 4 stars in my book.
My Volcano Valley remix has a 3.5 stars.
I am also working on a manga strip about human Sonic characters, it'll be fairly funny, I garuantee.
After that, I'm gonna do a sprite comic.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-06 20:39:36

I'm waitin for the new box to come in... but I figure I'll hit the remixin and dabble a bit in the flash when it arrives

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-06 20:56:45

At 1/6/08 08:39 PM, EchozAurora wrote: I'm waitin for the new box to come in... but I figure I'll hit the remixin and dabble a bit in the flash when it arrives

The flash--
The contributions must come before the flash.
Here is how it will go;
The contributions to the flash.
Preparation for the flash.
Other contribtions.
Samples and system of the flash
Final contributions.
Finishing the flash.
Submit all audio contributions to the audio portal.
Give me the code numbers.
Flash is submitted.
Co-authoring the first ten members.
Full Credits will be included in flash.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-07 03:02:46

Hey, 'bout time I posted here. I've only just got back from holidays, so, sorry for making everyone wait. I'm going through the newspage comments, and inbox messages and this thread as I write this.
The only sample I've heard is from SBB, of course I want you to be a part of this!

I agree with knuxrouge's comments thus far, I'll be happy rating your songs as he does, but I'm going to be tough, I'll probably do some full analysis of your stuff. The way I see this collab, if you submit crap, I'll be willing to give you another chance, but I'll give you some advice that I want you to follow, and if you stuff up again, that'll be it. Also, if a song is decent, but there's room for improvement, I'd like to see the composer go back and work on it a bit. Now, I'd like other members here to do the same thing with me. Pretty much, just think before you post the link "is this as good as it could be?"

It's good to see some experience in this collab, so I think we could pull this off. To the inexperienced musicians, I don't want to scare you away by the above paragraph, so if you post something, and link here for some tips, that's fine with me. Also, if you've got any other questions, feel free to ask here or post on my news page, or PM me.

Cheers, good luck guys. I think I'll christen my keyboard/guitar pedal with a classic VG recording.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-07 17:50:56

Good to see you back WB!

I finished my manga strip, its unedited, so there are no words, I'm going to post it here to reduce the size and use that.

The Bvg Collab

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-07 21:15:16

At 1/7/08 05:50 PM, knuxrouge wrote: Good to see you back WB!

I finished my manga strip, its unedited, so there are no words, I'm going to post it here to reduce the size and use that.

Hey, that looks pretty good!

I think we should take note on what people are attempting so that we don't get a whole pile of "mario overworld themes" and very little variety.

I've thought about doing a giant robotnik medley, but I'm not now. I'm also thinking we should add a time restriction or filesize restriction, because if we get a lot of audio then the filesize for the flash might get a bit too much.

I'm thinking of doing a big drum and bass menu track, with a bit of sonic, a bit of mario and a bit of megaman along with a whole lot of my stuff. The themes will be sprinkled throughout, and subtle, a bit of a teaser for the main audio. Sound good?

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 02:48:42

If we make too much of something.. I wouldn't consider that a bad thing... we'd just have to separate it into parts.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 09:14:13

WB has a point, I do expect the file size to be pretty damn big, so I want the first 10 members to make from 3 to 5 songs, the remaining can do 1 to 3. As for size, file compression can take care of that in the flash, but legnth...I never thought about that.

Everything will have its own category with its own sub category
Music > {All, Browse by Game{Sonic, Mario, Megaman }, Browse by Artist {insert audio contributors here}}
Comic > All, Web Comic ( > Browse by Game, Browse by Artist}, Sprite Comic ( > Browse by Game, Browse by Artist}
Can't Wiki this Shit (FYI) > All, Browse by Game, Browse by Contributor

I hope that made sense.

You noticed the selection known as "Can't Wiki this Shit", well thats the FYI section, I want our info to dodge the eyes of Wikipedia.
Look for glitches, behind the scenes info, make sure its not on wiki and Pm it to me. If we can't pull it off then we will have no choice but to improvise.

In any case I want to make an orchestra remix of live and learn. That will be awesome.
I also want to compose a remix of the Super Mario 64 File select music, I always enjoyed that--or the water level tune.
Lastly, I have been thinking of an original song of a Sonic stage with a jungle theme to it.
In due time...

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 09:45:42

I can take care of AS. To keep flash small we'll just need to stream audio from NGAP directly. And we won't have to compress the music.

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 16:43:38

At 1/8/08 09:45 AM, meneldil wrote: I can take care of AS. To keep flash small we'll just need to stream audio from NGAP directly. And we won't have to compress the music.

I appreciate the help, but I have the flash covered, if we stream it, then we have to extent the frames. We will set it to Event, I know enough AS to hold my own, but if I get lost, I will definitely contact you.
If the file size is too big, then I'll contact Tom, I'm sure he'll appreciate our efforts and put it in anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 18:03:53

At 1/8/08 04:43 PM, knuxrouge wrote:
At 1/8/08 09:45 AM, meneldil wrote: I can take care of AS. To keep flash small we'll just need to stream audio from NGAP directly. And we won't have to compress the music.
I appreciate the help, but I have the flash covered, if we stream it, then we have to extent the frames.

That's not what I meant. I meant make a flash without packing mp3s into it. You can stream (download) mp3 files from NGAP directly while the flash is working (like they stream movies on youtube).

So the flash file itself wouldn't contain any mp3s - keeping it small, just as it should be. You wouldn't have to put any limits on mp3 file size as well. And no compressing. Just benefits ;)

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 18:34:44

At 1/8/08 06:03 PM, meneldil wrote: That's not what I meant. I meant make a flash without packing mp3s into it. You can stream (download) mp3 files from NGAP directly while the flash is working (like they stream movies on youtube).

Ah, I see, that sounds like a keen idea, go on.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 18:59:07

At 1/8/08 06:34 PM, knuxrouge wrote:
At 1/8/08 06:03 PM, meneldil wrote: That's not what I meant. I meant make a flash without packing mp3s into it. You can stream (download) mp3 files from NGAP directly while the flash is working (like they stream movies on youtube).
Ah, I see, that sounds like a keen idea, go on.

I think I already said everything, but whatever.

Well, a good example is the player used to play audio on AP - it doesn't contain mp3s in it, it just downloads them when running. That player itself is probably no bigger than 150kb.

Action script allows you to download and play mp3 and m3u files from anywhere. You can even play internet radio with that. You can start playing back mp3 when it's still being downloaded, which is quite comfortable.

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 19:11:35

Ok, now that sounds like a good idea.

I've had a big set back, I don't know what went on, but I've lost everything I worked on yesterday. It might have been the guitar recording that stuffed it, so I'm gonna have to start again. No matter, it could have been a lot better.

I might just go for an original VG medley type thing instead. Either way, I want to come up with something epic.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 19:22:49

Alright, do tell the AS.

I just finished a Brass test and submitted it to the audio portal. I like it. It was all practice for the Live and Learn orchestra remix.

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-08 23:12:17

I finished the strip.

The Bvg Collab

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-09 10:04:50

I just finished a great orchestra-esque original Megaman themed song

Its called Protoman's Requiem.
4 stars!

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-09 14:27:37

I are pwnan teh lollbarian!

...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature

Response to The Bvg Collab 2008-01-09 16:07:37

At 1/9/08 02:27 PM, DarKsidE555 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 16141

meh.

Thats nice as hell, but you weren't supposed to submit it.
I'll make an exception, because its a great 4 star piece of work.

BBS Signature