00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

perilsofafrog just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Last.Fm Club

519,652 Views | 9,303 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-11 04:16:56

Is anyone else having issues with scrobbling? I know the site's been messed up lately, but I can see that there are people currently scrobbling so it doesn't seem like a site-wide issue.

It says my scrobbler is up to date, but it isn't showing certain info and the site doesn't say I'm scrobbling anything. Pretty odd if you ask me.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-11 09:44:38

The whole site is completely fucked atm.

It was yesterday at least, seems to be borderline working fine with a couple issues here and there.

But still get errors quite often, though status is showing all aspects of the site are okay.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-13 11:16:53

The World is a Beautiful Place... - Whenever, If Ever

I just listened to this record for the first time in about a year, and I enjoyed it more than I remembered. The production on this album is nice, and that's not to common in the emo scene. I like the instrumentation, and the dynamics on this record are very good. The slow, quiet movements contrasted by well handled crescendos can be really moving. Unfortunately the main problem I remembered having with this record remained an issue for me on this listen, and that's the vocals. The lead vocalist's delivery feels really forced to me, almost like he's doing an impression of what he thinks an emo vocalist sounds like. I didn't feel like the group vocals were very strong either, but there are times where they worked. The lyrics were all over the place for me. There are a lot of lines in these songs that I really like, and others that I think are really clunky and almost feel like a rough draft instead of a finished song.

Overall there are some nice tunes on this album, but I can't help but feel like TWIABP is a bit too 'sterile'. On paper it's a very well crafted record, but in execution it feels lacking in personality and doesn't feel very genuine. That might just be me, though.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-13 15:20:53

At 6/13/14 11:16 AM, Oolaph wrote: The World is a Beautiful Place... - Whenever, If Ever

I can definitely understand your point there. I think it just sits well with some people (like myself), I could listen to those vocals for hours and not tire of them, so like everything else it's just a case of personal opinion when it comes to that. I remember not digging it too much on my first or even second listen, but it just sort of grew on me really naturally, so you might wanna give it a couple more tries just in case you get the same, because I just find it's a really worthwhile record that I happily give my full attention to.

I definitely agree about the production, it's rare to hear such high quality on emo records, the only other place I've heard it has been Home, Like Noplace is There, by the Hotelier. As I mentioned before the drums play a big part in my love for this record, and to hear them so crisply makes it that much better for me.

I'm glad to hear you at least got some enjoyment out of it, I'd definitely recommend you give it another couple of listens.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-16 17:35:30

well shit this is right by me

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-16 18:17:22

At 6/16/14 05:35 PM, Snuff wrote: well shit this is right by me

and by this i mean i forgot to wait for the picture to upload

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-20 22:47:34

At 6/20/14 08:28 PM, Spooky wrote: In terms of live shows, I'm going to see Neutral Milk Hotel this summer for the first time.

I'm going to see Beck in 4 days

not even hyped :(

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-21 03:28:53

At 6/20/14 10:47 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 6/20/14 08:28 PM, Spooky wrote: In terms of live shows, I'm going to see Neutral Milk Hotel this summer for the first time.
I'm going to see Beck in 4 days

not even hyped :(

Make sure he plays Debra or you've failed.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-21 17:49:38

At 6/21/14 03:28 AM, Snuff wrote: Make sure he plays Debra or you've failed.

I'm actually hoping it's more of a relaxed acoustic set, and less 'party time Beck'. But if we are getting party time Beck, Debra's at the top of my list. It'd be a spectacle to see him try to stay on top of that falsetto for the duration of the song.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-23 16:36:15

At 6/21/14 05:49 PM, Oolaph wrote: I'm actually hoping it's more of a relaxed acoustic set, and less 'party time Beck'. But if we are getting party time Beck, Debra's at the top of my list. It'd be a spectacle to see him try to stay on top of that falsetto for the duration of the song.

Given his most recent album I'd imagine it'll be more low-key, right? Party time Beck should be pretty great in its own right, though.

I saw them some months ago and it was fucking transcendent (well, other than the one asshole who kept screaming "we love you Jeff!" every ten seconds). You're in for a treat.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-24 14:57:32

neon icon is out and it is glorious

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-24 19:15:32

Woah wrote out a 10k work review of Whenever, If Ever but then realised I wasn't tagged so w/e

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-25 07:05:13

At 6/24/14 07:15 PM, Ejit wrote: Woah wrote out a 10k work review of Whenever, If Ever but then realised I wasn't tagged so w/e

I'd still like to read said 10k word review that I'm certain exists.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-25 09:46:56

At 6/25/14 07:05 AM, Snuff wrote:
At 6/24/14 07:15 PM, Ejit wrote: Woah wrote out a 10k work review of Whenever, If Ever but then realised I wasn't tagged so w/e
I'd still like to read said 10k word review that I'm certain exists.

I'm really confused. The timestamp says I posted that 14 hours ago but I could have sworn it was more like a week ago. Am I being an idiot?

Regardless of being an idiot, I was joking of course (The passive-aggressiveness was included as part of the joke, too, I should point out.). The album wasn't really something I was able to enjoy, I think largely due to the vocals.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-25 14:18:08

At 6/25/14 09:46 AM, Ejit wrote:
Regardless of being an idiot, I was joking of course (The passive-aggressiveness was included as part of the joke, too, I should point out.). The album wasn't really something I was able to enjoy, I think largely due to the vocals.

That was better than any 10,000 word review

not my opinion/10 would disagree with again

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-06-25 15:29:14

The Beck set turned out to be a bipolar mix of relaxed tunes and party songs. He was playing with the Sea Change band and they did at least one track from every record since Mellow Gold. We even got a lovely rendition of Debra, so that was cool. Unfortunately the sound guy didn't seem to know what he was doing at all, and the opening band sucked too. Overall it was still a decent concert, I wouldn't say it was worth the hours of waiting in the sun though.

At 6/23/14 04:36 PM, Dr-Worm wrote:
I saw them some months ago and it was fucking transcendent (well, other than the one asshole who kept screaming "we love you Jeff!" every ten seconds). You're in for a treat.

Yeah, they're fantastic. I saw them in January and it was probably the best concert I've been to. The band's energy is incredible and you can definitely tell that they enjoy playing with each other on stage.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-07-03 16:33:49

did death grips really break up or is it just a hoax?

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-07-04 17:56:40

Amazing show two days ago in Montreal by Musk Ox, Jex Thoth and of course, the legendary Agalloch. All the bands were fantastic! Third time seeing both Agalloch and Musk Ox, and it's always a pleasure to talk with my favorite musicians, especially considering how they all seem to remember me somehow. I have to say, Don Anderson and Nathanaël Larochette are both very nice and devoted to their music and their fans, both off and on-stage.

Don Anderson still somehow remembers my first name. I'm very happy I had the chance to talk with him again. Such a nice guy! I also asked him if he could ever ask If These Trees Could Talk to tour with them, and he said he would really like to.
Also, if you guys don't know Musk Ox yet, you really need to check them out. Their newest album Woodfall is a chamber neofolk album, and it's amazing!

Musk Ox - Arcanum

I also recommend checking out Nathanaël Larochette's (Musk Ox founder) other project named The Night Watch, which is a mix of neofolk, classical, progressive rock, post-metal and many other genres.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-07-07 09:19:54

Anybody check out Melting Sun by Lantlôs? Didn't see anybody mention it before but it's worth checking out for anybody into any kind of metal or post-rock.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-07-08 17:02:16

new DFA1979 song

I'm not really into it, but seems like it would be fun live and I guess that's what they were focusing on when writing these tunes so I can't really complain. The recording is just too polished and "overproduced" for my liking, but whatever it's not like they owe me another Heads Up or anything.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-07-08 17:58:13

At 7/8/14 05:02 PM, Oolaph wrote: new DFA1979 song

I'm not really into it, but seems like it would be fun live and I guess that's what they were focusing on when writing these tunes so I can't really complain. The recording is just too polished and "overproduced" for my liking, but whatever it's not like they owe me another Heads Up or anything.

Sebastian said in an interview that the main reason they released it is because of how much it was demanded by fans, I believe the quote was something like: "and if the press say "this isn't what we were expecting" it's like, well that's what you've been fucking asking for".

So not exactly a record made from love and passion but Trainwreck 1979 sounds pretty great to me and I'm looking forward to the album in general.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-08-12 19:59:17

At 8/10/14 12:58 PM, Captain-Slugworth wrote: bloody hell guys, this club hasn't been active for a good month or so.

what's been going on?.. what's with all the inactivity?

Haven't had much to say, really.

Lately I've mostly been listening to blues, bluegrass, and of course jazz. I've also been playing my banjo more and I'm looking for a new instrument to pick up, haven't really decided on anything yet though.

Also I'm really excited for Vashti Bunyan's upcoming album. Across the Water is a wonderful song and it seems like recording everything on her own was a good move. I can't wait.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-08-12 20:43:21

At 8/12/14 07:59 PM, Oolaph wrote: Also I'm really excited for Vashti Bunyan's upcoming album.

I didn't even know this was happening. I still haven't listened to Lookaftering either, I'm fucking slow with getting around to albums.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-08-12 23:01:22

At 8/12/14 07:59 PM, Oolaph wrote: Also I'm really excited for Vashti Bunyan's upcoming album. Across the Water is a wonderful song and it seems like recording everything on her own was a good move. I can't wait.

WHAAAAT?? *rushes to Google*

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-08-12 23:56:51

At 8/12/14 08:43 PM, Jackho wrote: I didn't even know this was happening. I still haven't listened to Lookaftering either, I'm fucking slow with getting around to albums.
At 8/12/14 11:01 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: WHAAAAT?? *rushes to Google*

yeah dudes. she's apparently planning for it to be her last album, but Just Another Diamond Day was her 'last album' at one point, and so was Lookaftering. so you know. the album art was painted by her daughter, just like Lookaftering's cover. she already put out a single from it, and the full album is out on the 7th of October. i'm stoked, to say the least.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-08-13 12:16:53

At 8/13/14 09:09 AM, Captain-Slugworth wrote: aye, I've had Lookaftering just sitting there, it's been there for months!
yet I haven't really got round to listening to it.

@Oolaph is it any good?

yeah I think it's great. it's a lot slower and dreamier than Diamond Day. it's also more hi-fi and has more varied instrumentation, but it still feels like good ol' Vashti, y'know? anyone that enjoyed Diamond Day should definitely check it out.

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-09-04 17:20:33

Julian Casablancas is a cool dude that makes cool music and I don't care who makes fun of me for being a Strokes fan.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-09-14 17:57:45

god you people are shit at keeping a club alive

i've been loving the cinematic orchestra, the pharcyde, and erykah badu. recent things to happen to me include going to boomtown festial, and going to bestival. they were both amazing.

this concludes my show and tell

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-09-16 22:04:16

Last.fm, I don't think that's possible.

Last.Fm Club

Response to Last.Fm Club 2014-09-21 08:03:50

If you've already downloaded tracks to be offline from a playlist would they still available to play under a Spotify Free account or do you still need Premium to do that?