00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

hbag just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Tutorial Collab '07

63,845 Views | 1,253 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-03 21:27:58

My tutorial wasn't on the list, remember? I had to send it in a .text file because I don't have Flash 8/7.

:U

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-04 15:36:06

At 9/3/07 09:27 PM, Masterswordman wrote: My tutorial wasn't on the list, remember? I had to send it in a .text file because I don't have Flash 8/7.

-_- he said not to try to claim u sent it...jus send it again :P.

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-04 15:37:13

i though the tut collab 07 was ganna be out aug 30?

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-04 17:20:00

Alright, to clear up some stuff.

Release Date

Unkown. The date for pieces to be in is september 30th, however, i may have to make some more adjustments before release. You can also do more than 4 tuts per person now.

At 9/3/07 09:27 PM, Masterswordman wrote: My tutorial wasn't on the list, remember? I had to send it in a .text file because I don't have Flash 8/7.

I'll get around to that ;).

At 9/3/07 08:58 PM, iamironman wrote: having some organisational problems there are we? bit off a little more than we can chew? what you ment to say is "parts not completed" i know for a fact that i have sent you my tut on digital clocks 2wice now. unless you have marked me for spam, you are getting disorganized. i noticed that you listed "using the web cam" which you wanted to do yourself (or so you said on your deviant art list). if you want some help with organizing, im sure sombody (me) would be willing to help.

It's not that i need help organising, but people have dropped out, not given parts in, left, given up etc. It's hard to keep track of everythign, if people won't tell me whats going on.

I'll try to keep ahead of it from now on, if you have a part you are DOING then you can pm me and i'll remove it from the 'parts free' list.

BBS Signature

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-05 04:03:02

Dep, check your e-mail again xD I've sent them 3 in one email, seperatly.

Although practicality beats purity.

Errors should never pass silently.

In the face of ambiguity, refuse the temptation to guess.

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-05 12:34:12

Yeah! Now I can put the channels and Pen Tool inside my Tutorial!!!!

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-05 12:38:41

I can do gardients, but I don't want them! What to write about gardients? It's two frames!!!!

BTW. I want my tut reach perfection. Now, when the school is bothering, I don't want to overload my self like the last time!

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-05 12:44:00

At 9/5/07 12:38 PM, jazzandblues wrote: I can do gardients, but I don't want them! What to write about gardients? It's two frames!!!!

Er...Jindo is doing Gradients and I already did a whole section on Channels

And Gradients are not just two frames, that's the thing about Photoshop. What appears to be such a simple tool can actually be applied in your image as part of a much more complex technique. Gradients in Photoshop are a mile apart from Gradients in Flash.

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-05 14:00:44

My Gradients tutorial is based on PS though, amirite? Since I didn't offer to do a tutorial on Flash gradients xP.

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-05 14:43:33

At 9/5/07 02:00 PM, Jindo wrote: My Gradients tutorial is based on PS though, amirite? Since I didn't offer to do a tutorial on Flash gradients xP.

I know, all I'm saying is that PS Gradients aren't as straightforward as they may seem (in comparison to Flash ones, for instance)

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-05 15:11:07

At 9/5/07 02:43 PM, Siggy0501 wrote: I know, all I'm saying is that PS Gradients aren't as straightforward as they may seem (in comparison to Flash ones, for instance)

I agree, but I can find some very awesome uses for them :).

An example would be my 'Cryx Skin' wallpaper, which was made using only the Gradient tool and the 'Find Edges' filter:

Cryx Skin Wallpaper

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-06 10:00:39

What's the name of your tutorial in which are the channels, Siggy?

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-06 16:26:42

How the hell do I sign up for this?

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-06 16:40:21

At 9/6/07 10:00 AM, jazzandblues wrote: What's the name of your tutorial in which are the channels, Siggy?

It's part of PS Advanced.

Just started school today and there's no way I'm going to have the free time to make four more tuts, sorry...I can do html/xhtml (which will include a bit about javascript/css but I can't do a whole tut on each) and the fireworks general one i was talking about.

I'll wait until this weekend to see if I have time. So this is still only a half-claim. I'll PM you when/if it becomes definite.

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-06 17:24:55

At 9/6/07 04:26 PM, jmtb02 wrote: How the hell do I sign up for this?

Just pm me with whatever you want to do :). It'd be great to have you aboard john :).

I've been working on the tut for almost 3 hours now, renaming tuts, adding tuts, rewriting code and assigning each button some as which will link to it's partner tut. Anyway, even if i don't finish it all, i'm posting an update within the next 35 mins.

Along with updateed part list etc.

BBS Signature

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-06 17:59:53

At 9/6/07 05:24 PM, Depredation wrote: i'm posting an update within the next 35 mins.

That'd be now.

I like pie

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-06 18:29:12

Trace Bitmap
Fonts
Optimizing Audio
Behaviors
Particle generation

Any of those look good?

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-06 22:17:44

At 9/6/07 05:24 PM, Depredation wrote:

:i'm posting an update within the next 35 mins.

Along with updateed part list etc.

tis...5 hours later :P.

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-06 23:17:08

At 9/6/07 05:24 PM, Depredation wrote: i'm posting an update within the next 35 mins.

Hurry up Dep!

I like pie

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-07 02:31:55

At 9/6/07 06:29 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Trace Bitmap
Fonts
Optimizing Audio
Behaviors
Particle generation

They all look good :). Just PM me when your done.

At 9/6/07 10:17 PM, Krisddd wrote: tis...5 hours later :P.

Yeah, i'm really sorry :(. I tried uploading it to ngul but the siz was too big, and then i tried putfile, and it seemed to take almost 30 mins. It was 11pm, so i ws actually falling asleep :S.

UPDATE(16mb)

http://media.putfile.com/Tut-Collab-7---
Alpha-1

Sorry for the enourmous size, the music, images and content hasn't been compressed, it's on my todo list ;). Now i have the base file done, it should be a lot easier to do updates and i'll be posting them ever day or 2.

Again, sorry for taking so long :(. IF you don't see your part in the .swf, please post or pm me and i'll sort it out.

Free Parts

AS2

Basic

# Basic Movement
# Using the Webcam
# Actionscripted Colour
# JavaScript and Flash

Intermediate

# Printing
# Scripted Camera
# Filters
# More Movement (On Slopes)
# Copyright Protection
# Fireworks
# Actionscripted tweens

Advanced

# Basic 3D
# 3D Shapes
# Blackface Culling, lighting etc (3D)
# OOP
# Drawing API
# BitmapData API
# Components
# Springs
# Friction
# Pong

AS3

# New features
# OOP
# Preloader
# Movement
# Spectrum Analyser
# Displacement Filters
# AS3 and Flex

Design

Web Design

# Headers
# Mascots and Logos

Flash Design

# Guidelines
# Outlining and Planning
# Tips and Tricks
# The Pen tool
# Smooth Design
# Bevelling
# Glow effects
# Sharp text
# Pixel art
# Spacing Text

Art

Photoshop

# These will have to be made up by you since I do not own a copy of Photoshop. If you have an idea, pm me or email me at
tutorialcollab@gmail.com.

Illustrator

# Again, These will have to be made up by you since I do not own a copy of illustrator. If you have an idea, pm me or email me at

Fireworks

# Finally, These will have to be made up by you since I do not own a copy of fireworks. If you have an idea, pm me or email me at

Flash

# Using the brush tool
# Shading
# Cartoon
# Anime/Manga
# Vector
# Pixel Art
# Importing
# CS3s new import tools.
# Flash and Photoshop
# Drawing Hands
# Faces
# Eyes
# Hair

Animation

People

# Lip Syncing
# Walk Cycles
# Facial Expressions
# Hands
# Forces
# Emotions

Animals/Nature

# Sky
# Four Leg Walk Cycle
# Wind

General

# Explosions
# Blood
# Reflections
# Crashes
# Falling
# Bouncing
# Wounds
# Shooting

Music

FLStudio

# Drum Beats
# Looping
# Add what you wish.

Editors

# Compressing
# Audio Effects
# Converting
# Reducing Background noise.

Links

# Any links to flash/photoshop/flstudio etc tutorials.
# If you have made a tutorial, you can give me a link to your site and I'll add it here. Its very good exposure :).

Extras

# If you are interested, you can make signatures, banner ads, wallpapers or icons for the collab and I will publicise them where
possible. Any amazing additions will be paid for. Any music made specifically for the collab will also go here and be paid for.

Completed Parts

loadMovie - krisddd
analogueclock- - krisddd
symbols - warchamp 7
as3+flex - captin*chu
as3 event handlers - captin*chu
php - captin*chu
as3 fps - captin*chu
using the brush - bomber109
variables - bomber109
eye colour - gorrilastudios
walk cycle - cm studios
charachters - fuzz
getting started - fuzz
as3 custom cursors - jindo
patterns and brushes - jindo
simple buttons - kartman
twirling effect - siggy
using the mic - souled
tracing weapons - the-claww
starfield - trig1
drawing knifes - the-claww
as2 to as3 - trig1
spriting - dan
hazardous bg - unknownfear
bouncing - warchamp7
right click - warchamp7
symbols - warchamp7
run cycle - chillyphilly
frame actions - cinderfoot
passwords - cinderfoot
parameters - iamironman
arrays - paranoia
collision detection - paranoia
functions - paranoia
digital clock - iamironman
drag and drop - kartman
intervals - kartman
mp3 player - kartman
attachmovie - montycarlo
clipevents = montycarlo
basic maths - montycarlo
glow effect - warchamp7
trees - xeptic
sound - west-end-pro
platformer - paranoia
advanced photoshop - siggy
basic photoshop - siggy
effect photoshop - siggy
expert photoshop - siggy

I will be explaning the bios later today, i've got school in 5 mins ;).

BBS Signature

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-07 04:12:30

The last collab was grossly over rated and was a horrible peice of learning material. I strongly advise against this

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-07 10:46:12

At 9/7/07 04:12 AM, Rustygames wrote: The last collab was grossly over rated and was a horrible peice of learning material. I strongly advise against this

We all learn in different ways. For some people some of the teaching methods might be the best way they will learn. For some people the colorful pages will keep their attention better than most other tutorials. My point is many people learn well from it.

On a side note I'm almost finished with shooting at mouse

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-07 11:18:33

My part (using the mic) seems to be completely mucked up.
1) When you hover over the lines to explain the code the explanation runs off the screen and over the radio.
2) When it's showing you where to move the square the square suddenly becomes huge with holes.
3) At one part the opening text (saying welcome and click to start) keeps flashing on one step.

Thanks, and it looks great!

They used to call me souled...

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-07 11:30:22

How about a fruity loops tutorial aswell

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-07 11:32:37

At 9/7/07 04:12 AM, Rustygames wrote: The last collab was grossly over rated and was a horrible peice of learning material. I strongly advise against this

Are you being serious, or being sarcastic? I'm not trying to overrate anything, i understand the last one looked bad, but the new design should be much better and help people to learn more easily.

May i ask why it was horrible, so i can change it?

BBS Signature

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-07 11:44:27

I only saw 2 of my parts on that list, but I sent all of them D:

Shall I resend the other 2?

Also that Alpha looked pretty kickass :), I should be able to start and finish my Gradients tutorial next week :).

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-07 12:01:28

At 9/7/07 11:44 AM, Jindo wrote: Also that Alpha looked pretty kickass :), I should be able to start and finish my Gradients tutorial next week :).

Thanks, i'll post another update tonight once i've compressed and added a loader. Just email/pm me the tuts missing and i'll add them asap.

BBS Signature

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-08 08:05:44

Boy I can't wait!

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-08 12:37:27

Am I looking at the right alpha? That was the creepiest piece of art that I've ever seen.

First of all, there was a indescribable cacophony in the beginning. Second, why did you start using clip-art for the people? It just didn't look right. There's a link to flash rage dot com on the bottom of the menu, even though the sponsor hasn't been decided yet.

Finally, the buttons are ridiculously glitchy. Are you to tell me that this is the descendant of the Tutorial Collab '06? Even for an alpha, it's thoroughly awful.

You didn't get my parts right, btw. For some reason, you have me under PHP in the Devart parts list, and you listed Flex+AS3 as open.

Now, just so you know, I understand you have school. I have school; it's being an impediment on me, as well. Wouldn't it be the most ironic thing in the world if education was what made the Tutorial Collab suck? I'm not saying forget school and just focus on the collab; au contraire, I think you should focus as much of you energy as possible on school, then finish all you homework and projects so that you're able to put the collab to your full attention.

It's difficult for me, too. I'm having a tough time finishing the XML and XSLT tutorial, and I haven't even started with XML in AS2. So, I leave this post to you all with a quote:

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?

-Rabbi Hillel

Response to The Tutorial Collab '07 2007-09-08 13:28:36

At 9/8/07 12:37 PM, CaptinChu wrote: Am I looking at the right alpha? That was the creepiest piece of art that I've ever seen.

I didn't mention this in the post, but i am going to redo the whole intro. I'm also going to redo the buttons and the tut type system. Anyway, thank you for the pointers, generally, helpful negative feedback is much better than posotive useless feedback.

BBS Signature