00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted PeviAnimations supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What Makes Newgrounds Great

31,039 Views | 239 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-25 21:55:34

At 5/23/07 04:34 PM, Steve84 wrote: hey Inferno42 what the hell man how can you be cold about the what happened in Vtech your such a loser for that comment you said and I agree with Ross you are an ass for saying that about the victims and people that are still injured I hope you get warning for that comment from Ross you are a loser with no heart or any pity.

Hey, dipshit, before you start calling people out for not being overly-emotional pussies, you may find it insightful to know that when you formulate a paragraph consisting of 20+ independent clauses without any punctuation, no one can take you seriously.

Just a helpful reminder. Now drop dead.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 00:20:28

So if people find mass murder funny thats ok, but when someone has crude spelling and punctuation we tell them to drop dead? :-/
Like that makes sense.
Cant we try to be nice to people here? Personally I find it quite bizarre that anyone could find amusement in it. Although humour is not something we have a choice over. If we find something funny, we find it funny.
======

Regarding the case at hand, I think its simple;
Nothing should be automatically banned, the newground system allows us, the collective, to vote things down ourselfs.
If, on mass, we think something is exploitative, shit and purely there to get attention, we can just keep voting it down. Some sort of cut-off score should delete things after a certain number of votes.

Remember, everything is a balance of rights.
Freespeach is a right that should never automatically be taken away.
However, the families and friends of the victims also have rights, imo, to be respected and not too have their horrors used for the entertainment and ego of others.

Which right is more...err.."right" is upto us to choose.
But we shouldn't forget that its a balance, not a clear cut thing.

Rateoholic- my "review anything you can think of and it tries to correlate your tastes to other peoples" site. (-sigh- I need a better slogan....)

Or watch our reviewshow

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 02:10:26

Jack Thompson will only make empty threats, and thats it. Not much else he will do other than let some more hot air blow into someone else's face.

If a game is horrible, and a lot of people do not like it, then it would get blammed and eventually deleted. But since there wasn't enough "hate" of the game to remove it, it is staying. It's part of how Newgrounds work and thus, will evidentally stay like that.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 05:23:53

i guess the game should stay because this is newgrounds and all.

i think pigpen is an asshole. newgrounds was great when it first started because tom was making fun of people that a large majority did not like. the v-tech students did nothing wrong.
pigpen is really smart though. he knew he could get infamous from this and now he could potentially make a lot of money from it.
NOBODY SEND YOUR CASH TO PIGPEN

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 11:38:22

What makes n.g great are the guidlines keeping most a-holes in line.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 13:54:02

i don't have time to dig through all the other 200+ messages to see what has been said and hasn't been said, but basically it's like this: a guy made a game with the exact same concept of the most popular game on this site (pico's school)..which might not be the most horrible thing in the world...but what makes it tacky and tasteless is that he's using a specific tragedy to market it, and making it personal for people, which is pretty fucked up and unthoughtful. ross summed it up perfectly. you can't get your shorts bunched up because the world has douchebags, especially on a site like newgrounds that gives douchebagism and nicepersonism an equal voice. it's a hard situation. i haven't played the game, just because of the content involved; just not interested in a game that exploits such a horrible thing, and that's all you can do at a site like NG. everything from everyone. not everyone has shit you wanna deal with, so don't.

the truth is, negative attention isn't gonna change a guy like pigpen. this isn't something you're gonna slap him on the wrist for and make him less of an asshole. he knew what he was doing, and the attention is what he wanted. he's not the only one. Columbine, 9/11, every war that has ever happened-- every tragedy just like this is exploited through television and movies every single day, at the expense of people who had to really deal with it on a personal level.. the problem isn't the NG guidelines, the problem is that users like pigpen don't consider that recreating specific situations in this way makes it personal for people. and that's too bad. i hope he grows up a little bit and starts to consider people's feelings other than his own.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 14:31:37

I conclude. The game was in bad taste but then again most other newgrounds submissions were and taking it off is just going against what we all came to New grounds for.

PMRC

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 16:46:18

TWDarkflame thanks for backing me up man.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 16:56:01

I quite agree, Newgrounds is all about expressing your opinions away from society, yet if anyhting, the fact he is attempting to make money off of it is terrible, and surely should be banned on the grounds of that, it is beyond bad taste, that is just evil..

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 17:41:38

i watched and played V tech rampage and it is good we can see good and bad in it
i left him a good review on the game...
i honestly hope he makes a sequel...

Real life is violent many of us have played violent videogames and not go on a shooting rampage
i play grand theft auto and i do not stab shoo rob sell drugs or anything else....

it much be in bad taste but the review critics approved the game.....
so alot of people liked this and how it belongs up there with the classics

Dark Kisses In Sweet Places

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 22:22:28

wow, i knew of this thing since ross' first post about it, the crazy thing is that this game has already been showcased in MTV news from Latinamerica, so it has gotten more spotlight that expected. and yeah they said he wanted profit from it by removing it and "apologyzing" so it also showed how pathetic the author was by doing it, seriously pigpen, the game was great but your idea of making profit from it that way was superr lame, good your site was deleted because of that : )

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-26 22:25:43

At 5/26/07 10:22 PM, Lalo wrote: good your site was deleted because of that : )

lalo, shutup your a money hungry little shit.

None

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-27 00:45:34

What makes newgrounds so great is the amount of quality content. I mean... I started going to newgrounds before the portal was implemented. I remember when assassin came out and I thought that was the coolest thing i've ever played online.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-27 09:39:42

Get it right people, Newgrounds was great. Now we're all just bitter fucks wasting our time by insulting eachother in an attempt to make ourselves feel better. You know it's true.

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-27 11:24:38

Get that shit out of here, sure, it's just a game, but should we make games trying to bomb pearl harbor or crash into the twin towers? I understand Fulp's first games were a little edgy, but he would never be such an attention whore to make shit like this. What really gets me is it is well programmed, that says to me this guy has nothing better to do than joke about disasters in reality.
This makes NG look like Ebaums world, and no newgrounder wants that.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-27 11:27:25

NVM what i said, this dudes got it straight.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-27 12:42:23

At 5/21/07 12:52 PM, DarkZrobe wrote: I agree for the whole freedom of speech thing, I just dont like how he wants money to take it down (as stated above).

My thoughts exactly.

If the flash author who made the V-Tech Rampage game wants to be an attention whore, that's his own decision, and he knows that a lot of us will hate him for it. After all, he does have freedom of speech, and legally, we can't stop him.

But the fact that he offered to take it down if we paid him just proves that this is NOT a freedom of speech issue. If he really cared about freedom of speech and expression, he wouldn't have offered to sell his right to that freedom. Ergo, he's a shit.

I really don't give a rat's ass about the game itself, because nobody's forcing me to play it, but the author is still a douchebag.

I am not responsible for the content of the post above.

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-27 13:35:29

At 5/21/07 12:51 PM, Nev wrote: I make Newgrounds great.

No, you see, people making fun of you for saying that is what makes Newgrounds great.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-28 06:51:04

everything man... NG is all soule and no fools....
i love this website more than my mom and gf....

seriusleeeeeeeeeeeee

NOTE: PSN Illegal-Product or ILLEGALPRODUCT

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-28 07:41:48

No doubt about, newgrounds is a little more free than other sites but it still has "selective speech". If you speak out against something and a MOD or someone doesn't agree they can get your thread locked because they don't fully accept free speech. They pull out the race or hate card on you, which does limit free speech here. That being said we all like violence here, but I think Madness fullfills are deep desire to watch people die, anything more might be too gruesome, we all may like watching thigns die, but we also have boundries and I think newgrounds respects that.

Still, newgrounds isn't free speech its "selective speech".

Whoa its me!

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-28 13:42:27

So let me summarize this discussion.

1. Newgrounds is great because of it's freee speech, and awesome submissions

2. Everybody has different opinions about V-tech rampage

3. Inferno42 is a heartless dick.

read my blog, posta commenrt, and I'll read yours!

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-28 15:37:59

Inferno42 you are a heartless dick because your cold hearted, and don't even care about what happened to the people at Vtech Ross is right you are an ass

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-05-28 17:37:58

At 5/28/07 03:37 PM, Steve84 wrote: Inferno42 you are a heartless dick because your cold hearted, and don't even care about what happened to the people at Vtech Ross is right you are an ass

See, what did I tell ya?

read my blog, posta commenrt, and I'll read yours!

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-06-03 22:17:12

I love drinking and smoking. Then going on t'internet and shooting my mouth off.

Thundercats are loose!

アートは物質の生命であり、あなたが何を作成しようとも、それはアートです。

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-06-06 09:33:05

i concur

A BABY SEAL WALKS INTO A CLUB...HAHA

BBS Signature

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-06-06 17:47:20

Ya , man , this is true.

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-06-09 21:12:45

Speak on TWDarkflame!

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-06-09 21:16:36

At 5/26/07 04:56 PM, EKTEK wrote: I quite agree, Newgrounds is all about expressing your opinions away from society, yet if anyhting, the fact he is attempting to make money off of it is terrible, and surely should be banned on the grounds of that, it is beyond bad taste, that is just evil..

Speak the trufe!

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-06-09 21:19:19

At 5/27/07 12:45 AM, YoinK wrote: What makes newgrounds so great is the amount of quality content. I mean... I started going to newgrounds before the portal was implemented. I remember when assassin came out and I thought that was the coolest thing i've ever played online.

What makes NG great r du good submissions! Without them the site would collapse.(duh)

Response to What Makes Newgrounds Great 2007-06-27 19:33:25

At 5/21/07 02:26 PM, TheAbominabIeMatt wrote:
At 5/21/07 02:24 PM, PiGPEN wrote: Not this shit again.
This post is in poor taste and I demand that it is removed.

I agree