00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MssLibitina just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

CPU 2006-12-12 18:57:36

Well, I have a question for some of you computer literate people. I have a big problem with finishing songs. This is because by the time I get towards the end of making one, my cpu usage is maxed out. Now, I have a very shitty computer which I know is the problem, but are there ways to somehow lessen the load? I know I can just save tracks then load them back in, but I always end up wanting to change something. I also close all the programs that are not needed. Is my only option making my cheap ass fork up some green for more memory....or do I have to sell my soul for a new computer?

Response to CPU 2006-12-12 18:59:10

At 12/12/06 06:57 PM, Voyd wrote: Well, I have a question for some of you computer literate people. I have a big problem with finishing songs. This is because by the time I get towards the end of making one, my cpu usage is maxed out. Now, I have a very shitty computer which I know is the problem, but are there ways to somehow lessen the load? I know I can just save tracks then load them back in, but I always end up wanting to change something. I also close all the programs that are not needed. Is my only option making my cheap ass fork up some green for more memory....or do I have to sell my soul for a new computer?

All i can say is either use NO OTHER applications while creating music or upgrade your CPU or RAM. I sometimes get that problem too.

It's yo boy

BBS Signature

Response to CPU 2006-12-12 19:00:39

At 12/12/06 06:57 PM, Voyd wrote: Well, I have a question for some of you computer literate people. I have a big problem with finishing songs. This is because by the time I get towards the end of making one, my cpu usage is maxed out. Now, I have a very shitty computer which I know is the problem, but are there ways to somehow lessen the load? I know I can just save tracks then load them back in, but I always end up wanting to change something. I also close all the programs that are not needed. Is my only option making my cheap ass fork up some green for more memory....or do I have to sell my soul for a new computer?

Definetly sell your soul .... nah you could pree ctrl alt delete and select processors and look to see what programms using most od your cpu usage up

Response to CPU 2006-12-12 19:15:42

I thought it had to do with your processor? I must being thinkin of something else?

Sig=DJ REN

PSN ID: soul_reaper5

BBS Signature

Response to CPU 2006-12-12 19:31:45

At 12/12/06 07:15 PM, Everlasting-Elements wrote: I thought it had to do with your processor? I must being thinkin of something else?

Uhm, yeah the CPU is the processor.

Try limiting your effect tracks, only add them right before rendering etc. Just play it dry when creating the melody.

Response to CPU 2006-12-12 20:08:01

I'd rather get a new pc.. but you can loosen the effects or something in the song XD

Response to CPU 2006-12-13 00:26:06

Well I just recently learned this so I should tell you =)

To use less cpu, use less synths, use more samples rather than VST's and stuff because then you use RAM, and your cpu stays low =)

But then you must remember not to fuck up your RAM ;)

Response to CPU 2006-12-13 00:37:47

If your using FL, you could up the buffer length in settings. Make sure the song is playing while you tweak this so you can see when you start getting a bunch of Underruns. Only bad thing about this is that any input, be it MIDI or w/e will be delayed the more you move that slider to the right. However, If your not doing any live sequencing, then it shouldn't be a big deal.

Response to CPU 2006-12-13 00:38:38

you have windows 2000 or xp id suggest shutting off services with this guide

the website is offline but heres an archive

http://web.archive.org/web/20050203003117/htt p://www.blackviper.com/

basically it shuts down useless tasks that can free up up to 100 mb of memory

Response to CPU 2006-12-13 02:52:18

Ctrl Alt Del

Close EVERYTHING being run by your user account that dosn't have svhost before it (or your computer will die)

That includes explorer. Yes your start bar and icons will all dissapear.

Once you're done raping your CPU, you can start up explorer again by ctrl-alt-del > processes > new > type 'explorer' and hit enter.

Response to CPU 2006-12-13 03:21:46

Effects, tracks, CD Drive, program used and programs running can greatly effect how your song making will go.

Ram, processor speed and where your resources are archived are the first things not to get stingy with.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to CPU 2006-12-14 03:01:52

Not often mentioned, but deleting some excess stuff from your hard drive helps a small amount; a little more virtual memory doesn't hurt. Try emptying the temp folder for your internets. It's not a brilliant solution, but it will help in conjunction with the other stuff mentioned already.

Response to CPU 2006-12-14 10:46:07

At 12/12/06 06:57 PM, Voyd wrote: I have a big problem with finishing songs. This is because by the time I get towards the end of making one, my cpu usage is maxed out.

Try bouncing your tracks - it may not be the perfect method for you but it'll work - I have no idea what software you're using so I can't tell you exactly how but in essence what you're doing is dumping out a track (or set of tracks) as .wav's then mixing those together.

That way the CPU doesn't need to worry about VST's whomping on it.

Watch out for processor intensive effects - especially reverb - If you have a lot of reverb then render that track as a .wav - get rid of that track and replace it with the exported .wav

It should save a ton of resources

Try it and let me know how it works out.

BBS Signature

Response to CPU 2006-12-14 11:25:30

I feel stupid. I didn't know the CPU was the processor XD

Sig=DJ REN

PSN ID: soul_reaper5

BBS Signature

Response to CPU 2006-12-14 18:17:37

If you're using FL you change the interpolation method to linear, and use ASIO if you have it.
To do this goto audio settings, and you'll see interpolation and to see if you have ASIO click on the drop down box under output, if you see anything that says ASIO click on one of them. ASIO is a sound card hardware method of instant interpretation that does not require much CPU or Buffer length so if you have it, it would be a good idea to use it.

come support us at the newgrounds.com irc chat room! - just type your nick, and your in!

Response to CPU 2006-12-14 21:40:11

Try closing out any other programs

Response to CPU 2006-12-15 12:47:38

As I think someone said before, export cpu intensive VSTs to .wav files, then load the .wav into your program.

Use the send effects, so that you use only one reverb for 10 vsts instead of 10.

Another VERY good tip in FL is to go to tools>macros>smart disable for all effects. This stops effects from being used when no audio is being sent through them ( you might be prosessing audio that isnt even there!)

As someone also said before, press F10 and set the buffer length higher under audio ( in FL )

Also, get yourself an asio driver for your soundcard (if you dont have one already) at your soundcards producers website, and if it doesnt have one go to www.asio4all.com .

Hope this helps!

Response to CPU 2006-12-16 12:29:43

you can put link your tracks to a send that are gonna have the same effects and/or eq settings. this makes it so you only have to have one effect runnin' for multiple tracks. lessens the load quite a bit sometimes.

my youtube.

click it.

BBS Signature