00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Thread: Wips & Discussion

47,633 Views | 606 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 19:48:03

mine could be 13.. i guess. hate me if you dare!

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 20:55:24

Not hating just curious as to what a little girl implies...midget or young... :)

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 21:40:48

At 12/1/06 07:43 PM, poxpower wrote:
yup

ok cool

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 21:50:42

At 12/1/06 07:21 PM, Scotttheskaterr wrote: I asked stamper. Myself. He said ages up to 13, and well my char is 13.

I'm pretty much aiming for 6-10 with her ageand have her weapon at least twice her size.

At 12/1/06 07:48 PM, DanPaladin wrote: mine could be 13.. i guess. hate me if you dare!

I don't think the age of yours really matters considering the size of her but I think you illustrated the concept pretty good.

At s1nt3ch:
You can achieve a similar effect by selecting the lines and then going modify>shape>convert lines to fill, then you can mess around with them to be varing in width.
That's the way they do it on Homestarrunner.com.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 22:14:30

A girl is a girl, a woman is a woman. There is an obvious difference between the two...so just keep it in mind. It's not difficult.

Your best bet would be to aim your pen somewhere between the ages of 5-15 years old.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 22:44:12

At 12/1/06 09:50 PM, PaperBagMask wrote:
At s1nt3ch:
You can achieve a similar effect by selecting the lines and then going modify>shape>convert lines to fill, then you can mess around with them to be varing in width.
That's the way they do it on Homestarrunner.com.

yeah i have seen that way too, i'm just trying to find the fastet way to do it. I myself use overlapping shapes of differend colors, then break them apart and delete the inner one leaving a variable stroke outline, but they should seriously add that as an option in the next version of flash

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 22:49:51

At 12/1/06 10:44 PM, s1nt3ch wrote: yeah i have seen that way too, i'm just trying to find the fastet way to do it. I myself use overlapping shapes of differend colors, then break them apart and delete the inner one leaving a variable stroke outline, but they should seriously add that as an option in the next version of flash

That would be neat-o to have as a feature but I prefer the way I said, I usually make the character and then with the lines I'll convert them to fill at the end at get read of the round ends.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 23:34:21

At 12/1/06 10:49 PM, PaperBagMask wrote:
That would be neat-o to have as a feature but I prefer the way I said, I usually make the character and then with the lines I'll convert them to fill at the end at get read of the round ends.

well in flash 8 you can change the shape of the endcaps, it's in the bottom properties panel when you have a line selected, you can make 'em round or square

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 23:39:49

At 12/1/06 11:34 PM, s1nt3ch wrote: well in flash 8 you can change the shape of the endcaps, it's in the bottom properties panel when you have a line selected, you can make 'em round or square

I'm old skool and use MX, so stop waving fancy shmancy features in my face...
Actually, that is the only feature in Flash 8 that makes me semi-envious because I do my filters in PhotoShop and Fireworks.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 23:49:23

At 12/1/06 10:14 PM, Stamper wrote: A girl is a girl, a woman is a woman. There is an obvious difference between the two...so just keep it in mind. It's not difficult.

Your best bet would be to aim your pen somewhere between the ages of 5-15 years old.

Stamps, I said that yet nobody believes. Ah whatever, I had fun making it.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 23:53:23

At 12/1/06 10:14 PM, Stamper wrote: A girl is a girl, a woman is a woman.

Like you would know.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 00:14:55

At 12/1/06 11:53 PM, BoMToons wrote:
At 12/1/06 10:14 PM, Stamper wrote: A girl is a girl, a woman is a woman.
Like you would know.

He would. Stamper has done sex with more vagina women than you've even seen or something.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 00:51:34

alright check out the proportions on this gal. Somethings off but I"m not sure. torso too long? legs too short?

the raised arm is too big/long

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 01:29:19

At 12/2/06 12:51 AM, Afro-Ninja wrote: alright check out the proportions on this gal. Somethings off but I"m not sure. torso too long? legs too short?

I like it, but is this really your final?

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 01:32:01

At 12/2/06 01:29 AM, Scotttheskaterr wrote: I like it, but is this really your final?

well, it's the 'work in progress thread' and I'm asking for opinions on the proportions sooo :o.....

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 01:34:15

At 12/2/06 01:32 AM, Afro-Ninja wrote:
At 12/2/06 01:29 AM, Scotttheskaterr wrote: I like it, but is this really your final?
well, it's the 'work in progress thread' and I'm asking for opinions on the proportions sooo :o.....

Yes, I really like it. The face is a tad off. But good job so far.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 02:23:03

At 12/2/06 12:51 AM, Afro-Ninja wrote: alright check out the proportions on this gal. Somethings off but I"m not sure. torso too long? legs too short?

In reality, the legs are usually the same length as the body so they're not really "wrong".

But in cartoon-ish drawings (especially anime), the rule is to typically make the legs longer because it's supposedly more attractive.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 02:52:02

i just submitted and after seeing some drawings i must say that some people isnt drawing LITTLE girls, but anywaysss they are still quite artistic.

i dont know how to use photoshop ... x _ x
i used Macromedia MX Professional 2004 , i have a problem when pasing the stuff i draw to jpeg format , since i can only save the file in flash format.

What i do is to copy/paste it to paint :( but it gets a bit disorted and crappy.
any tip or something to help me out?

thanks mindchamber and everyone else for this contestsss.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 03:11:53

Well I think I just saw who won this

poxpower you sexy fucker :'(

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 03:24:44

scanned, basic lines and color in flash

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 03:28:04

Well a normal woman's legs are as long at the lenght from her head to her crotch. You can make them longer if you want a more super-hero type woman.

Also, yours has really beefy arms :o
But I guess that's what you wanted, a sorta chunkier girl rather than a thin hero-type like I drew in my examples. Anyways. I would say that the biggest problems with it are:

1- The connexion of the shoulder with the torso on both arms
2- the transition between forearm and the hands ( hands are too small )
3- hands are concealed, so its hard to know what she's doing there :o
4- chains are made of links that er... link together, they don't just touch each other to form a line.

also make smoother lines :p I see so many people drawing with timid, short broken lines instead of using lots of swiftch, smooth sketcy motions to build the figure. Don't be afraid to put lots of lead on that paper :o
DO NOT FEAR THE PENCIL.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 03:42:24

At 12/2/06 03:28 AM, poxpower wrote: DO NOT FEAR THE PENCIL.

You can really "feel" the pose of green lined one. Something about it just captureds the stance perfectly. I have to spend hours to make stuff look right and usually dont get it. Good work.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 04:31:09

At 12/2/06 02:52 AM, Frolikyn wrote: i just submitted and after seeing some drawings i must say that some people isnt drawing LITTLE girls, but anywaysss they are still quite artistic.

i dont know how to use photoshop ... x _ x
i used Macromedia MX Professional 2004 , i have a problem when pasing the stuff i draw to jpeg format , since i can only save the file in flash format.

What i do is to copy/paste it to paint :( but it gets a bit disorted and crappy.
any tip or something to help me out?

thanks mindchamber and everyone else for this contestsss.

Mess around in the publish settings, you can save a Flash as a JPEG, PNG, HTML, EXE and many other formats though the publish settings.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 06:24:46

This is an idea for my entry, I wanted to do a gothic girl but not too extreme, as in no piercings, chains etc

I think for the final image I'm going to change this quite a bit, I want the same atmosphere but I need to work on the detail more. The textures were just ones I had on my computer already, I'm going to print the image off at A3 and paint into it to hopefully get a smoother looking image. The background was taken a month or two ago in an abandoned warehouse which is now used as a car park, I'll have to do some manipulation to this too because it's overpowering the image too much. Hopefully I can turn this into more of a digi art than a drawing, might even use some photos of skin and leather too.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 08:58:20

Poxy... man..... No...... Go redo those colors.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 08:59:38

At 12/2/06 03:42 AM, TheHappySheep wrote:
You can really "feel" the pose of green lined one. Something about it just captureds the stance perfectly. I have to spend hours to make stuff look right and usually dont get it. Good work.

I think it has to do with the feet, the feet are base for many poses and if the rooting to the ground looks weak, so does the rest of the character. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I still have a mass of difficulty trying to make strong and dynamic poses that don't look completely 2D

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 09:10:11

:dogfoodman wrote
:my 1st go and i know it sucks but hey what can you do

Draw better and not submit.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 10:41:14

At 12/2/06 08:58 AM, MindChamber wrote: Poxy... man..... No...... Go redo those colors.

Dude I liked the way those colors were on her. Different is good.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 10:47:54

At 12/2/06 08:58 AM, MindChamber wrote: Poxy... man..... No...... Go redo those colors.

stfu noob :P. Those colours are awsome, it came out amazing. :D

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-02 10:49:15

At 12/2/06 10:47 AM, fuzz wrote:
stfu noob :P. Those colours are awsome, it came out amazing. :D

I know right =] Gosh MindChamber sure is new here.