00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Sinnymon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Thread: Wips & Discussion

47,622 Views | 606 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 19:04:44

I for one really liked KupaMan's drawing, I thought it looked great and wowed me even without colour. Nice job

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 19:09:38

Eff, I must've been groggy after working on my submission last night, cause now I only have a flattened out, half-coloured .psd. Fawk.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 19:57:10

At 11/30/06 10:42 AM, MindChamber wrote:
At 11/30/06 10:31 AM, MasterFury wrote:
At 11/30/06 09:27 AM, MindChamber wrote:
At 11/30/06 08:23 AM, MasterFury wrote: I thought it was about time i had a go at one of these art comps.
nice picture what was that model made in?
its all 2d
i made it in flash and then i detaild it fireworks
Ok...

Im gonna give you one more chance..

what program did you model this with.

if you mast know, I used DAZ3d to get the pose right and then i made it all in 2d.

just like this progress shot of another entery.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 21:17:04

At 11/30/06 07:57 PM, MasterFury wrote:
if you mast know, I used DAZ3d to get the pose right and then i made it all in 2d.

Posing a premade model with a cell render is not producing art IF YOU MUST KNOW.

quit lying to yourself.

dont bother entering..

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 21:30:46

Just a quick question:

I've seen some pencil entries, and I plan on redoing mine in ink. Is that okay, or do they need to be done in flash/photoshop?

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 21:35:08

At 11/30/06 09:30 PM, Maus wrote: Just a quick question:

I've seen some pencil entries, and I plan on redoing mine in ink. Is that okay, or do they need to be done in flash/photoshop?

You can make it with anything.

ANYTHING :o :o

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 21:40:22

At 11/30/06 09:35 PM, poxpower wrote:
At 11/30/06 09:30 PM, Maus wrote: Just a quick question:

You can make it with anything.

ANYTHING :o :o

even servered penis ink.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 22:06:07

At 11/30/06 09:17 PM, MindChamber wrote:

Posing a premade model with a cell render is not producing art IF YOU MUST KNOW.

quit lying to yourself.

dont bother entering..

your evil.

I spent 5 hours drawing that and now you say its not good enough to enter.

I think my 3 years in graphic art also say say different to you comment on what art is.

if you want I'll email you the .fla of the main image.

but I als have amother entey to amke you happy.

here are some progress shot for my first image

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 23:06:48

At 11/30/06 10:06 PM, MasterFury wrote: here are some progress shot for my first image

Because you're too good to have to do sketches beforehand.

We're all familiar with the several 3D programs exporting as flash files with lines. But if you didn't do that, then you just traced it.

Either way, it's from a 3D model. If I'm wrong, I'll use Synj's meat tendurizer on my sack.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 23:16:26

At 11/30/06 10:06 PM, MasterFury wrote:

quit lying to yourself.

dont bother entering..
your evil.

its not good enough to enter.

I think my 3 years in graphic art also say say different to you comment on what art is.

you mean 3 years as a graphic tracer is more like it.. All you did was trace a prerendered picture of one of thos Shoddy poser models.

if you want I'll email you the .fla of the main image.

no thanks its quite obvious.

yah your second piece is a true depiction of your artistic skill.

why dont you show me the rendered image you traced it from masterfony?

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-11-30 23:44:46

Sometimes I just wish I was good at art.... I made a picture on paper, but I don't know if its worth scanning.... =/ I like it but I'm not sure if its good enough for you guys lol.

"Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."

~Henry Rollins

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 00:00:22

Great work so far. My personal favorites include Supi, Z space lizard, brown bread.... and blue baby's, which I'm ashamed of.. but I giggled helplessly so I'll put my moral inconsistancies aside for the sake of art.

Are there any restrictions on the blood to everything else ratio? My guess is no.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 00:14:28

At 11/30/06 11:16 PM, MindChamber wrote:

God I love watching cheaters get their ass handed to them.

Beautiful.

Just beautiful.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 01:29:44

At 12/1/06 12:14 AM, ZekeyJr wrote:

God I love watching cheaters get their ass handed to them.

Beautiful.

Just beautiful.

Watching Kuro get found out was great. This art forum is unfortunately plagued with so many fuckers, be they annoying photo editors (Cereal) or tracers, or flat-out art theives. It's sort of sad, especially when there's no prize, that people will take other artwork so that they can get maybe a post or two of praise from a bunch of kids on the internet.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 01:49:40

Ok lineart KOMPLETED

This took a ridiculous amount of time to make in Flash. Like 6-7 hours. Probably would have taken half that time on paper :/ But paper isn't as precise as a computer, so that's the price to pay...
Although you'd have to be fucking insane to start inking an entire comic this way.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 01:57:01

MindChamber why are you being such an ass to me?
you did say enything gose if its withing the subject matter.

At 11/30/06 10:06 PM, MasterFury wrote:

quit lying to yourself.

dont bother entering..
your evil.

its not good enough to enter.

so the people who do there work in a few minuts can enter

you mean 3 years as a graphic tracer is more like it..

you obiously know what your talikng about

yah your second piece is a true depiction of your artistic skill.

its still a 1./2 assed attempt I could have spent more time on it but that is time better spent.

ok and youll knotice that i have added lots to the 2d version.
as i said it was for referance to get the pose right and soem of the body parts

This arguing over time image im made is fun and all, I think we could have used
the time to do something better.

the amout of time i spent on this image I could have made more money then the prize pool for this comp. I didnt even care if I won.

you do need to relise that the art world is alot bigger then what you are making it out to be,
I could draw a suare on a pice of paper and get it into a gallery (thats how stupid the real art world is)

oh and here is the 3d image i copyed from.

man being serious is hard and now im going to go and cry in the basment and eat ice-cream with my magic friend :)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 02:21:06

At 12/1/06 01:57 AM, MasterFury wrote: oh and here is the 3d image i copyed from.

Dude.

Mine came from a picture in my head. Then I worked out circles....

Nevermind.
hay fuk u

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 02:24:22

This is my attempt at my picture so far, it's being done on tracing paper so I can add more detail and don't have to erase so much.
The objet the little girl is hlding is suppsed to be a chainsaw but in the style of a sword, at the moment I'm thinking of redoing it and trying to make the chainsaw as big as possible without it exceeding the piece of paper.
Linky

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 02:37:40

At 12/1/06 02:21 AM, Maus wrote:
At 12/1/06 01:57 AM, MasterFury wrote: oh and here is the 3d image i copyed from.
Dude.

Mine came from a picture in my head. Then I worked out circles....

Nevermind.
hay fuk u

There is nothing wrong with referance matreial.
do you think all the best artist in the world worked from what was just in there head. NO

alot of artist will have something to referance from such as a mosing modle to images from a book.

in no way am i really doing anything wrong, its just the ignorance of some people make it seem wrong.

I could argue this point for ages, but it wont get throught the head of people who dont want to know.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 02:47:11

sorry abou the double post.

there is a few changes i need to make to the previous post but there is no edit thingy.
dam my spellin'

alot of artist will have something to referance from such as a posing modle to images from a book.

also I am the one who layed out the 3d image as well all i did was use a 3d mode that i didnt make but have paid for the rights to use it.

the point of the 3d image was to get the pose and propoptains right.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 05:03:09

At 12/1/06 02:47 AM, MasterFury wrote:

You just traced over the model, and your finish was pretty shoddy and the way you colored your lines was really really reminiscent of a 3D modeling and it looked hella awkward.

Artists have always used models, but adapted them in their own style so that they would blend in with their backgrounds or clothes or whatever, and in your case, it just didn't work at all. Its alright to use reference material, but just tracing over a picture just doesn't really work when you're trying to make comicbook-style art.
And when you don't have a sufficient skill level to hide your referencing.

ouch :o

If you're going to use a 3D posing program, use it to draw something on paper, then scan that in and color it, because just tracing over shows some obvious flaws. Like the fingers, which are really fucked up.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 05:26:37

At 12/1/06 05:03 AM, poxpower wrote:
You just traced over the model, and your finish was pretty shoddy and the way you colored your lines was really really reminiscent of a 3D modeling and it looked hella awkward.

Artists have always used models, but adapted them in their own style so that they would blend in with their backgrounds or clothes or whatever, and in your case, it just didn't work at all. Its alright to use reference material, but just tracing over a picture just doesn't really work when you're trying to make comicbook-style art.
And when you don't have a sufficient skill level to hide your referencing.

ouch :o

If you're going to use a 3D posing program, use it to draw something on paper, then scan that in and color it, because just tracing over shows some obvious flaws. Like the fingers, which are really fucked up.

I hate drawing hands.

just wanted to do something with the style of this pice. both of my enterys are nothing like what i normaly do, well maily the first one.

I am a graphic artis / designer, Im not an illustrator.
I maily do stuff like logos and advertising.
here is a fun fact, I designed the armorgames logo :)

but to continue with this stupid argument "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WHAT I HAVE DONE!"
sorry for that but it had to be said.

in no way is tracing bad and i only traced some of that 3d image, if you overlay the 2 images you'll see alot of differeance in them.

heck you lot are having a go at me for this but when it comes to things like sprite flash movies hardly any one copmplains that the people didnt make the origonal images. ( some do)

and now a big spanner into the works, and that is the legit style of appropriation!
thats what this is an appropriated image.

as i said i could go on for ages

you lot may not thnnk what i have done is the right thing but in no way van you say not art,
I'll just bing up one artis "Marcel Duchamp" and his works
I think some of you need reschooling on art.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 05:42:49

At 12/1/06 05:26 AM, MasterFury wrote: I am a graphic artis / designer, Im not an illustrator.

If you are a graphic artist/designer and not an illustrator then why not make something in your own style rather then tracing a 3D image.

heck you lot are having a go at me for this but when it comes to things like sprite flash movies hardly any one copmplains that the people didnt make the origonal images. ( some do)

You don't seem to reg the Flash Forum then, everyone on their pretty much hates sprites unless they're original artwork sprites.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 06:23:28

At 12/1/06 05:26 AM, MasterFury wrote:
but to continue with this stupid argument "THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH WHAT I HAVE DONE!"
sorry for that but it had to be said.

dude, I understand, I'm not grilling you like Mindchamber.
But just saying that if everyone sees your image and goes "that's a badly concealed 3d render" then you failed.
Doesn't mean you have to make perfect images for this contest or whatever, but that's just criticism for you.

Well sprites are a style. When you see a sprite movie, you don't really praise the artistic skills of the creator. But this is a drawing contest, so I mean :o
If you used a Mario sprite for this thing, you'd suck balls.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 06:32:41

At 12/1/06 06:23 AM, poxpower wrote:
At 12/1/06 05:26 AM, MasterFury wrote:
dude, I understand, I'm not grilling you like Mindchamber.
But just saying that if everyone sees your image and goes "that's a badly concealed 3d render" then you failed.
Doesn't mean you have to make perfect images for this contest or whatever, but that's just criticism for you.

I decide to do something different to what i normaly do.
when i normaly draw I will do hard line cartoon style with solid color alittle shade.

close to what i did for my 2nd entry but stronger outlines and more stylied.

by the way I like how your work is going it will be good to see it done.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 07:50:36

Whoa whoa,
did you just compare tracing art with Marcel Duchamp's revolutionary style? That's pretty offensive, guy.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 08:07:09

At 12/1/06 07:50 AM, Chromius wrote: Whoa whoa,
did you just compare tracing art with Marcel Duchamp's revolutionary style? That's pretty offensive, guy.

You’re looking at this very narrow mined
The comparison is that there are people who complained it wasn’t art.

There will always be people who will claimed that a style or way of art is not art.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 08:08:32

man being serious is hard and now im going to go and cry in the basment and eat ice-cream with my magic friend :)

first off.. No one is against referencing. I know cause I hardly use it and my chracter designs are usually off.
what Im offended by is the fact, that you first claimed this was a 2D drawing. THEN you mention a 3D model. THEN you claimed you only used it for referencing.

first off, Ive done this much longer than 3 years, You can't bullshit me much less most of everyone around here.
you did NOT use that for reference. You simply deleted all the clothing options and posted a bare model here.
If you were honest in the begining, I wouldve kindly told you to do it again.
but no...
you insisted...

so Hereeeeeeeeeeeeeeee we go:

First of all... Not only were you to lazy to look for different gauntlets for you character. ( You used the same gauntlet for two characters in your game and this submission.) you even left the same choker on her. Man, you didnt even bother changing face designs.!!
Secondly. since OBVIOUSLY you cant model for shit either, you didnt place the gauntlet far enough from the forarms. causing pass thru..
IF YOU HAD ONLY DRAWn FROM REFERENCE, HOW DOES YOUR FINAL PIECE HAVE THE SAME ERRORS? the exact same guantlet is on her right arm, and its passing thru her hand.

you insisted on lying to not just me, but the few of us here honesty trying to create.

quit lying to yourself and others, and go backing making alt accounts on your personal forums, to make them look busy.

I'll say this once more.
Post the original render, or you will not only be disqualified from the contest, but will be getting a nice long , relaxing break.

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 08:16:03

At 12/1/06 08:07 AM, MasterFury wrote:
There will always be people who will claimed that a style or way of art is not art.

Yeah, but if you wanna be so ambiguous about it, then I could wipe my ass with a sheet of paper and say it's art.

I'm sure that if Duchamp just took one of Picasso's paintings and traced it, adding a few barely noticable changes, he probably wouldn't have gained the renowned fame that he has today.

I get the feeling that you're having difficulty distinguishing between referencing and tracing anyways.. but I mean, I also get the feeling that you're too stubborn to admit any flaw. (Then again, had you not felt there was anything wrong with what you did, you probably wouldn't have lyingly hidden the facts from Chamber the first time he asked.)

BBS Signature

Response to Art Thread: Wips & Discussion 2006-12-01 08:22:34

also I am the one who layed out the 3d image as well all i did was use a 3d mode that i didnt make but have paid for the rights to use it.

yes But you DIDNT CREATE THE MODEL. you cares if you paid for it or not.

If this was a "show the best model you can buy for 16 dollars" Contest,. then you'd win hands down.