00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

blakenator9872 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,900,129 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-10 15:47:16

What's a "dir"?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-10 16:08:56

At 8/10/12 03:47 PM, Diki wrote: What's a "dir"?

Wha...? You don't know what the shell command "dir" is? Okay, I'll try to explain you.

In computing, dir (directory) is a command used for file and directory listing, specifically in the command line interface of these operating systems: RT-11, CP/M, VMS, DOS, OS/2, Singularity, and Microsoft Windows. It is analogous to the Unix ls command.
Because it is the primary means of displaying the files and directories on disk or other storage medium within a command window, the dir command is one of the most basic commands employed by users of the command line interface to MS-DOS and subsequent versions of Microsoft Windows.
The dir command has existed as a DOS command since the initial release of MS-DOS. It is built into the DOS command shell, and is not provided as a separate standalone program.

In MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows, dir checks for switches in the %dircmd% environment variable.

At least not a muffin.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-10 16:17:50

At 8/10/12 04:08 PM, doodle-bread14 wrote: Wha...? You don't know what the shell command "dir" is? Okay, I'll try to explain you.

Well you wasted your time; I'm well aware of what a directory is, and how to use a shell.
However, given the context, I just saw three letters (that don't form an English word) being placed together, 50 units apart, in a SWF application, which made no sense.

Are you emulating a shell in Flash or something?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-10 17:13:37

At 8/10/12 04:17 PM, Diki wrote: Well you wasted your time; I'm well aware of what a directory is, and how to use a shell.
However, given the context, I just saw three letters (that don't form an English word) being placed together, 50 units apart, in a SWF application, which made no sense.

Yeah, I don't get it either. How is typing "dir" on screen supposed to be funny in any way?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-10 17:15:15

At 8/10/12 05:13 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Yeah, I don't get it either. How is typing "dir" on screen supposed to be funny in any way?

Also, quoting wikipedia won't impress anybody.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-10 17:40:28

At 8/10/12 05:15 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Also, quoting wikipedia won't impress anybody.

Something about the wording in his post did seem a little odd.

Y'know, doodle-bread, you shouldn't just copy and paste this article and pass it off as your own knowledge.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-10 20:02:18

At 8/10/12 01:23 PM, doodle-bread14 wrote: Lmao.

I see a for loop that needs writing.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-13 12:42:59

At 7/21/12 07:34 AM, Depredation wrote: But really, good to see you two are still around. People still working with flash? Everywhere i look there's talk of it dying.

Looking at Jobs in Vancouver Canada, there are still Flash/Flex positions around. I worked for 8 months developing a desktop application with Flex, was nice to work with. And every time I see a fancy website graphic, I right click to see if its flash or HTML5. Its about 50/50 from what I can tell.

At 8/6/12 04:05 PM, Rustygames wrote: Can't believe these forums are dead now. 7 years ago this thing was THE place to be if you were an up and coming flash game dev, nowadays it's all people asking how to make quick cash with no effort. It's sad that kids aren't getting the same opportunities I had :(
(along with the occassional flame war!)

I lurked for years after going silent. Things just seemed to slow to a crawl on this board. Maybe it had to do with segregation into other boards like Art, Animation, Collaboration, etc. Sure, they spammed the board a bit, but it kept the community alive. Not worth the separation in my opinion. Then again maybe none of that had anything to do with anything.

At 8/8/12 03:35 PM, Rustygames wrote: Also just read the first page of posts. Holy shit I was a stuck-up retarded kid back then. Now I know why I was voted emo of the year...

We were all kids back then. Embarrassing going back through older posts though. I thought was so cool. : P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-15 14:33:27

Hey :) What's up? Has anyone got any projects on the go? Some CC entries? :P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-15 15:26:43

At 8/15/12 02:33 PM, funkycaveman wrote: Hey :) What's up? Has anyone got any projects on the go? Some CC entries? :P

Since you mention it, I'll shamelessly plug a game I just recently began working on again. I started it roughly a year and a half ago and for the past 9 or so months I haven't had any time to work on it. But summer's here and I now have all the time in the world.

I'm also making an Android app with my school's music teacher. Cool stuff.

Game screenshot

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-16 05:41:13

At 8/15/12 02:33 PM, funkycaveman wrote: Hey :) What's up? Has anyone got any projects on the go? Some CC entries? :P

I've been working on a puzzle game with another programmer and an artist. We recently rewrote it in haXe/NME.

At 8/15/12 03:26 PM, Archawn wrote: Since you mention it, I'll shamelessly plug a game I just recently began working on again. I started it roughly a year and a half ago and for the past 9 or so months I haven't had any time to work on it. But summer's here and I now have all the time in the world.

Good, that game's always intrigued me - looks really nice.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-16 09:24:48

At 8/15/12 03:26 PM, Archawn wrote: Game screenshot

You need to finish that game. I want to play that game.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know what happened to zrb? I miss that guy.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-16 11:39:46

At 8/16/12 09:24 AM, 4urentertainment wrote:
At 8/15/12 03:26 PM, Archawn wrote: Game screenshot
You need to finish that game.

*crossing my fingers and hoping for a winter release*

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know what happened to zrb? I miss that guy.

zrb was great. It looks like his last post was in the Reg Lounge over a year ago... A lot of people I used to know seem to have just fallen off the face of the earth. Turtleco, HDXMike, zrb... I wonder what everyone's up to these days?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-17 13:10:25

At 8/15/12 03:26 PM, Archawn wrote:
Since you mention it, I'll shamelessly plug a game I just recently began working on again. I started it roughly a year and a half ago and for the past 9 or so months I haven't had any time to work on it. But summer's here and I now have all the time in the world.

I'm also making an Android app with my school's music teacher. Cool stuff.

Game screenshot

Summer is the best time for making games!

Screenshot looks awesome, reminds me of the style of 'Realm of the mad god'. You heard that Flash is no longer being supported on newer Android devices! It is all going to move to HTML5 and flash app development.

At 8/16/12 05:41 AM, Sam wrote:
I've been working on a puzzle game with another programmer and an artist. We recently rewrote it in haXe/NME.

I would be interested to seeing how that turns out, i've had trouble selling a puzzle type game but it's an elaborate P+C more than a physics game of sorts.

At 8/16/12 11:39 AM, Archawn wrote: zrb was great. It looks like his last post was in the Reg Lounge over a year ago... A lot of people I used to know seem to have just fallen off the face of the earth. Turtleco, HDXMike, zrb... I wonder what everyone's up to these days?

I totally agree with you there, these people were the best and were always hanging around. A long time ago :(

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-17 14:16:01

At 8/17/12 01:10 PM, funkycaveman wrote: You heard that Flash is no longer being supported on newer Android devices! It is all going to move to HTML5 and flash app development.

That is 100% grade A bullshit.

The flash player is no longer being developed, because Adobe are focusing on AIR, making it so that creating native apps on Android and iOS with Flash easier and better.

I don't think Flash will be going anywhere any time soon. HTML5/Javascript, Unity, all that is good stuff and everything, but Flash remains the fastest and most streamlined set of tools with which to create games. Evidence of this is the last Ludum Dare, of 1,400 games submitted, the games made with Flash were on average a lot better than games made with anything else. And most of the winners were either made with Flash or Game Makers.

In fact, the flash framework is so efficient at making games that a lot of people are using it in non-flash games. A lot of iPhone or just generally games made with C++ and such use Flash for animation. I believe that's how Castle Crashers handled their art and animation. Everything is vector, and the vector data is taken from SWF's and converted to raster data during loading.

Apparently Bioshock also has SWF files in their source, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-17 15:13:22

At 8/17/12 02:16 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Apparently Bioshock also has SWF files in their source, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Starcraft 2 and Assassin's Creed do. I remember seeing the Flash logo in the credits.

Do any of you have experience using game design docs? I feel like my current project is being hampered a lot because I didn't make one (and because of artists, but that's a different story). I had no clue what I was going to make when I started, and even now I don't know the full scope of the game or how much more code I have to write. I just downloaded a template of a gdd, but the amount of detail it wants seems kinda ridiculous while the game is still in the idea phase and even now once art and level design are mostly all that's left. How do you take an idea and basic prototype and turn it into what seems like a doctoral thesis?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-17 15:36:52

At 8/17/12 01:10 PM, funkycaveman wrote: You heard that Flash is no longer being supported on newer Android devices! It is all going to move to HTML5 and flash app development.

I'm programming the app with the Java Android SDK, so regardless of Flash's status on mobile devices I have nothing to worry about there! :)

At 8/17/12 03:13 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 8/17/12 02:16 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Apparently Bioshock also has SWF files in their source, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Starcraft 2 and Assassin's Creed do. I remember seeing the Flash logo in the credits.

Same, when I first finished the original Assassin's Creed I was surprised to see the Flash logo scroll past in the credits. I believe it was used for the game's menus or something. I wonder why there's such a preference for using Flash in a console game like AC.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-17 21:39:47

So I was looking at my dumping grounds today, and I found something amazing. It has pages. PAGES. I always thought I had deleted my older dumps or something. I didn't realize there were multiple pages. I have dumps from when dumping grounds was first introduced. Oh, the nostalgia!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-18 14:54:37

At 8/17/12 02:16 PM, 4urentertainment wrote:
I don't think Flash will be going anywhere any time soon. HTML5/Javascript, Unity, all that is good stuff and everything, but Flash remains the fastest and most streamlined set of tools with which to create games. Evidence of this is the last Ludum Dare, of 1,400 games submitted, the games made with Flash were on average a lot better than games made with anything else. And most of the winners were either made with Flash or Game Makers.

Apparently Bioshock also has SWF files in their source, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I found the article on the BBC which stated that Flash is not available for Jelly Bean devices (newer devices). The quality of games depends on the developers at the end of the day and Flash offers some of the best tools available to easily create better games.

I think in Assassins Creed the SWF files were used in those puzzle sections you had to complete, like find the globe hidden in the painting and the other mini-game puzzles.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-22 00:47:21

At 8/18/12 02:54 PM, funkycaveman wrote: The quality of games depends on the developers at the end of the day and Flash offers some of the best tools available to easily create better games.

Exactly. My philosophy is, if there's an easier way to do it, then do it. I used to scoff at game makers, exclaiming how they "weren't for real developers" until I played To The Moon. If a game made with a game maker can make other "real" games look like shit, then I'm all for it.

So, Ludum Dare is this week, who's up?

Kongregate just offered some prizes for Ludum Dare games, I was planning on entering all casual, trying to make a solo game in attempt to do art for the first time, get in the spirit of experimentation and learning, but this is tempting. Then again, Glaiel's game won with programmer art.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-23 20:23:56

I started seeing Flash logos on console games a while ago and I was like WHAT THE HELL IS THIS.

I kept my eye out and it was ScaleForm, which is the whole menu in Super Street Fighter, your floating inventory in Dead Space, a tonne o shit in Mass Effect, and long story short every 2D interface that looks cool.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-24 15:12:44

Hey-oh
I haven't used Flash in ages, can someone tell me if Flash CS3 is ridiculously outdated enough to warrant getting a newer version?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-24 15:36:56

Creative Suite 3 is about 5 years old, so that's pretty outdated. You'd probably get a pretty significant performance boost if you upgraded to the most recent version.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-24 21:04:00

At 8/24/12 03:12 PM, Wurmy wrote: Hey-oh
I haven't used Flash in ages, can someone tell me if Flash CS3 is ridiculously outdated enough to warrant getting a newer version?

Oh, god, CS3 was horrendous. Upgrade to CS4 at the very least! CS3's lag issues and tendencies to crash alone warrant an upgrade.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-24 21:07:09

At 8/24/12 09:04 PM, Archawn wrote:
At 8/24/12 03:12 PM, Wurmy wrote: Hey-oh
Oh, god, CS3 was horrendous. Upgrade to CS4 at the very least! CS3's lag issues and tendencies to crash alone warrant an upgrade.

I quite liked CS3, although maybe that's because I just got used to its failings. I went ahead and got myself CS6. Do people use the right clicking very often? How does that work on computers that don't have the right click ability?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-24 22:18:28

At 8/24/12 09:07 PM, Wurmy wrote: I quite liked CS3, although maybe that's because I just got used to its failings. I went ahead and got myself CS6. Do people use the right clicking very often? How does that work on computers that don't have the right click ability?

Don't all have right click capabilities? :|

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-24 22:28:27

At 8/24/12 10:18 PM, Sam wrote:
At 8/24/12 09:07 PM, Wurmy wrote: I quite liked CS3, although maybe that's because I just got used to its failings. I went ahead and got myself CS6. Do people use the right clicking very often? How does that work on computers that don't have the right click ability?

I was thinking of Macs. Last time I used a Mac, to right click you had to hold a key and click the only button. That was years ago and I haven't used a Mac since, is that still true, if it even was?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-24 23:48:49

At 8/24/12 10:28 PM, Wurmy wrote:
At 8/24/12 10:18 PM, Sam wrote:
I was thinking of Macs. Last time I used a Mac, to right click you had to hold a key and click the only button. That was years ago and I haven't used a Mac since, is that still true, if it even was?

Apple recently improved their previously horrible mouse, so as long as you're not using a Macbook you're fine. Otherwise you can plug in a normal mouse and right click like there's no tomorrow!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-25 10:50:40

At 8/25/12 09:08 AM, PSvils wrote: Well, I haven't started on Ludum Dare yet, still don't know if I will...but who else is doing something for it?

My first time making a game solo...and I have no idea what I've got. But look, it's a BANDANA!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2012-08-26 14:06:21

Ludum Dare

I spent all of yesterday working on an entry, but this morning my computer crashed and I've spent the past several hours trying to restore it.

RIP chances of finishing