00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BloodLordAngelo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,901,605 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-02 13:35:23

@ knugen

Thank you for such a win script. Bonus thanks for the Chrome fix.
I've yet to decide whether I would prefer 'Link' on the left (like it is in Chrome) or the right (like in your picture). Probably the former.

At 3/2/10 12:09 PM, Deathcon7 wrote: So, I've noticed myself tending to post AS3 related questions in here. Is that a good practice?

I don't think so. The point of the whole forum now is practically exclusive to answering AS related questions. The 'better' programmers who post in the Reg Lounge do still browse the forums, and will answer any questions which grab their interest.
I understand it feels a bit odd to post a new topic for a mere question, but it is actually the better option (especially to benefit anyone searching for the same answers in the future).

At 3/2/10 12:33 PM, citricsquid wrote: using the mouse to aim and control a player is god awful (like: hold mouse to left of screen, move left, right right etc.)

Often, but some games can pull it off well. I quite like the controls in this game, and on a similar control scheme, that in the DS Legend of Zelda games works quite well.
Although, since I would rather just stick to my touchpad instead of having to get my mouse out and plug it in, I normally prefer no mouse control. If the game needs minimum control, I'm happy. If the game really benefits from mouse control, I can live with it. However, when people decide that I have to use my touchpad AND the arrow keys at the same time, I get annoyed. Having to either control a precision pointer with my left hand or cross my arms over just pisses me off. Let me use the damn WASD keys.
So, when going for mouse controls, consider laptop users. Thank you for listening.

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-02 16:27:28

let them have their fun you can probably make the best collabs pm'ing people you know anyways

Thats how my collab first started.
Now its a 60+ people load of awesome!
LINK!

I am a FAB

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-02 17:01:05

Control Scheme

Kind of surprised on the preference of keyboard over mouse. I've always thought of the mouse an extension of my arm, and prefer it for just about all simple applications. Good to know what other people think.

Thanks guys.

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-02 17:15:43

At 3/2/10 12:12 AM, NextToNothing wrote: I program in RNA codons.

can't make very interesting games with proteins...

At 3/1/10 11:14 PM, Starogre wrote: let them have their fun you can probably make the best collabs pm'ing people you know anyways

but it isn't as fun and spontaneous, and collabs is the main way I meet people

At 3/1/10 09:39 PM, Farza wrote: Remember the time when their was no Collaboration forum? It was actually way better.

wait, all the way back 1 month ago?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-02 17:33:06

At 3/2/10 05:31 AM, citricsquid wrote: WAY TO STEAL MY THUNDER.

Aww, perhaps some extra exposure for your site will make you feel better :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-02 18:33:53

At 3/2/10 05:01 PM, Johnny wrote: Kind of surprised on the preference of keyboard over mouse. I've always thought of the mouse an extension of my arm, and prefer it for just about all simple applications. Good to know what other people think.

I prefer the keyboard to mouse too (but that's mainly because I have a laptop (LOL, trackpad)). It's a lot easier to press "R" than clicking a reload button, etc.

Having said that, there are a lot of games that don't use the keyboard well, i.e. using left/right arrows to move but using space for jump. Also, there's no reason why WASD and arrows cant both be used to move, like in This Is The Only Level Too.

Also, Srsly, release on NG already John. And include medals in your games. FUCK.

Obviously some games need to be mouse based, (Escape the room, etc) and some need to be keyboard based (Shift, etc), but for a majority of games, I don't see why you can't have a mouse mode and a keyboard mode like:

Riddles

I know I've said this before, but fuck me do I hate riddles.

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-02 18:36:06

At 3/2/10 05:15 PM, turtleco wrote:
At 3/1/10 11:14 PM, Starogre wrote: let them have their fun you can probably make the best collabs pm'ing people you know anyways
but it isn't as fun and spontaneous, and collabs is the main way I meet people

Yea so have fun using the collaboration forum. I was merely pointing out that if you want to complain about the quality of the users' skills/how noob they are or whatever, don't use it or start your own good collab with high standards...no ones stopping you (farza)

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 08:18:57

funkycaveman Returns!

Hi everyone!
Glad to be back and hope you are all well. I have not been into playing around with flash, so I left Newgrounds. But after playing a few flash games here and there, brought back some motivation. So I am back now, some of you may never heard of me, if so i'm funkycaveman. And I will be releasing a new game soon.
What's been going on recently, I can see the forums have changed a bit :S

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 15:18:44

At 3/3/10 08:18 AM, funkycaveman wrote: funkycaveman Returns!

Hello there, I think I vaguely remember your username, welcome back!

In other news, I just submitted an old, broken game. For which I'll most likely rot in hell. I'm curious as to how it turns out.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 17:07:11

Hey, I remember you.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 17:54:08

At 3/3/10 05:07 PM, Archon68 wrote:
Hey, I remember you.

hey mate, I remember you as well. How are you, been up to much lately?

And vaguely remember Xeptic, youv'e been here longer than me, so you know your way around.

Cheers guys.

I might release a demo of the half life game i was making, clean it up a bit, could be good.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 19:26:46

At 3/3/10 06:09 PM, HDXmike wrote: funkycaveman

I remember you , its not like youve been away long youve just not been as active i think. All the best welcomes anyway

yea it has only been about 4 months since i was last really active, I came back every so often to check on the ng levels collab, and to see some flash stuff, been working on much mike?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 20:04:08

At 3/3/10 07:26 PM, funkycaveman wrote: yea it has only been about 4 months since i was last really active, I came back every so often to check on the ng levels collab, and to see some flash stuff, been working on much mike?

you're the guy who's running the ng levels collab right?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 20:11:03

At 3/3/10 08:04 PM, turtleco wrote:
At 3/3/10 07:26 PM, funkycaveman wrote: yea it has only been about 4 months since i was last really active, I came back every so often to check on the ng levels collab, and to see some flash stuff, been working on much mike?
you're the guy who's running the ng levels collab right?

Hence his sig.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 21:01:52

I remember when funkycaveman was voted best newcomer in 08

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-03 23:49:08

WHITE WHALES

You guys ever have those projects that you just can't seem to finish nor make good progress on? I've got this old project, which is awesome in scope, but it's been plaguing me since 2007. I keep trying to whittle away at it, but it's akin to banging my head against a wall to make any progress.

It's so much easier to start new things because new ideas keep flowing, but I know I'll regret it if I don't finish this one. I also don't want to rush it to completion and sacrifice quality.

The thought that it will never be worth the amount of time, effort, planning, and work keeps niggling the back of my thoughts. But the grind must go on.

Curse you Abobo!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 06:19:26

At 3/3/10 07:45 PM, HDXmike wrote: Hell yeah ! naw not that much , im making a game with JohnnyUtah and Duchedneir and another small solo one , thats about it .

wow that is pretty awesome, any ideas on what it is about? Any hints?

You're the guy who's running the ng levels collab rig

Yea, that's right, you were in it to?

I remember when funkycaveman was voted best newcomer in 08

haha yea I remember to! I have quite a few posts and been here for 2 and a half years now, I helped a a lot of people back in the day.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 10:45:36

At 3/3/10 11:49 PM, BoMToons wrote: WHITE WHALES
The thought that it will never be worth the amount of time, effort, planning, and work keeps niggling the back of my thoughts. But the grind must go on.
Curse you Abobo!

You never know how popular a game will be till it's out. Plus that game is already awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 12:26:24

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 16:04:15

At 3/4/10 02:21 PM, HDXmike wrote:
its about a Barbarian Ninja , thats right , the two most awesome things ever , put together :P started it during the christmas party at my house , all locked away in the loo :)

You should be able to attack while in the air.

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 18:09:07

At 3/4/10 05:55 PM, HDXmike wrote: Also Chinese democracy by guns n roses is the best album ever made

I read that on your userpage, and I was this >.< close to unleash hell in the reply section, but being the mature user that I am I decided to let it slip, because you're probably too young to know any better. But don't tempt me...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 18:10:10

At 3/4/10 05:55 PM, HDXmike wrote:
Basically if anyone has any ideas please keep them to yourself , ive probably already thought of it .

just like when glaiel said to not rattle off company names

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 18:19:16

At 3/4/10 06:19 AM, funkycaveman wrote:
At 3/3/10 07:45 PM, HDXmike wrote: Hell yeah ! naw not that much , im making a game with JohnnyUtah and Duchedneir and another small solo one , thats about it .
wow that is pretty awesome, any ideas on what it is about? Any hints?
its about a Barbarian Ninja , thats right , the two most awesome things ever , put together :P started it during the christmas party at my house , all locked away in the loo :)

I stopped completely for a month while looking for an artist but now its going along slowly but surely but i still have to do my bit for the ideo game trailer collab by march 25th which is annoying and another small secret game im developing solo for fun , im also *trying* to learn C++, its not as hard as i remember it but still a step up from AS3

ahah that game looks awesome, if you made it slightly faster (movement, attacking) then would be a great concept, good luck with that, be sure to tell me how it goes and if you want any help with it.

C++ looks like a good language, seeing actionscript is basically a modded version of java, people generally do not know what AS is when you tell them, so it seems like a good idea to learn another language the way you are doing, keep it up! I will also be on the look out for the game in the game trailer collab, will look forward to it, good luck in the future mate :)
funky

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 19:04:16

At 3/4/10 06:09 PM, Xeptic wrote:
At 3/4/10 05:55 PM, HDXmike wrote: Also Chinese democracy by guns n roses is the best album ever made
I read that on your userpage, and I was this >.< close to unleash hell in the reply section, but being the mature user that I am I decided to let it slip, because you're probably too young to know any better. But don't tempt me...

Allow me:

Guns and Roses is my favorite band of all time.

I got hooked on them in 1988 when I was 8 years old and they were absolutely the shit. Appetite for Destruction is one of the best albums ever written. Then came Lies: Another excellent album.

Then, they reformed, keeping key members (Slash + Izzy primarily... who wrote almost ALL of GnRs music and Duff, just because) and came out with the Use Your Illusion albums. Still great GnR tunes, and some of my favorite albums.

Now... Axl is an amazing lyricist and excellent performer. I will never, ever deny that. The band would never have been the same without him.

But... then again... it would never be the same without at least Duff/Izzy/Slash either, and it's not.

In my opinion It's a flaming pile of Axl Rose's shit, that was a wasted 10 years of his life. Ten years and that's what you come up with?? Really? Seriously. It took him 10 years.

In order for Guns and Roses to exist successfully, you need izzy/slash writing the music and Axl performing it.

(On the same turn of the coin, although Velvet Revolver has some good tunes with the original members of GnR, they're no GnR with Scott as lead vocalist)

If Axl wants to continue writing music, fine (I think he did a song for that movie with Arnold saving the world from the devil) but please Axl... please... Drop the GnR name.

Those of us who are diehard fans of Guns and Roses are absolutely insulted that songs from a "Guns and Roses" album sound like that.

Maybe the album isn't 'that' bad.. for another band... but its nowhere near GnR caliber and shouldn't have the name attached to it.

(Kind of like Call of Duties not made by Infinity Ward. =p )

It really felt like Axl Rose punched me in the balls when I played the new CD for the first time.

Note: The Spaghetti Incident album left out intentionally. I deny the existence of that one.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 20:48:27

At 3/4/10 07:04 PM, Johnny wrote: Guns and Roses is my favorite band of all time.

Wot.

Srsly, wot.

I must be the only person who thinks G 'n' R aren't all that great. I really don't get the hype. They're an average metal band IMHO.

Grunge > Punk Rock > Metal

The water in Majorca don't taste like what it oughta.

| AS3: Main | AS2: Main | Flash Tutorials |

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 21:19:41

At 3/4/10 08:48 PM, Kirk-Cocaine wrote:
At 3/4/10 07:04 PM, Johnny wrote: Guns and Roses is my favorite band of all time.
Wot.

Srsly, wot.

I must be the only person who thinks G 'n' R aren't all that great. I really don't get the hype. They're an average metal band IMHO.

Grunge > Punk Rock > Metal

The solo's and the musical compositions as a whole in their songs are just beautiful. I don't know many bands that can top it. Metallica is pretty good as well.

I don't know if I'd call Guns N Roses Metal or Heavy Metal. I'd call them more hard rock...Slipknot is metal to me

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 22:12:49

At 3/4/10 09:19 PM, Starogre wrote: I don't know if I'd call Guns N Roses Metal or Heavy Metal. I'd call them more hard rock...Slipknot is metal to me

I've always lumped them into "80's Metal." Times have changed. =)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 22:22:16

At 3/4/10 04:04 PM, Starogre wrote:
You should be able to attack while in the air.

I animated him to attack in the air, mike just hasn't put it in yet! The bitch!

Hey guys i came back for a visit... might get lazy and stop coming by again though :( I don't really know yet :P Depends on my mood and i've been busy lately.

Also Gunz n Roses are good, but im not huge into classic rock so im going to stay out of this one. But FYI Chinese democracy is NOT their best album.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 22:26:22

At 3/4/10 10:22 PM, Duchednier wrote: Gunz n Roses = classic rock

Fuck that makes me feel old...

My "Classic Rock" is Zepplin, Rush, The Who

Which I guess would make DoctorMario feel old...

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2010-03-04 23:17:38

At 3/4/10 10:26 PM, Johnny wrote:
At 3/4/10 10:22 PM, Duchednier wrote: Gunz n Roses = classic rock
Fuck that makes me feel old...

My "Classic Rock" is Zepplin, Rush, The Who

Which I guess would make DoctorMario feel old...

haha sorry :( i kinda bunch them all together, zeppelin is also classic rock to me... all them guys :P