00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BrunoVugl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Batting Average

21,975 Views | 233 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 00:40:37

At 6/23/06 08:37 PM, Toonimated wrote: gave out a bad idea

No , that's preposterous... I fully endorse this new change because it broke down one of the most horrid and scarring barriers for flash artists . It sucked to have a C+ average hurting your batting average ( that friggin' accusing "C+" ) because your old work sucked while your good work didn't get highlighted . This change took the power away from the Batting Averages and that is a very positive thing . Now flash artists can submit funny shit without that nasty "C" or "B" bogging them down ! I expect the portal to become more fun as the good artists will be encouraged to submit more often and that's exactly what Tom Fulp wants with this change.

Nothing else has been changed , good submissions are still getting more views while bad ones aren't so wtf are you complaining about huh?! Ohh I see , maybe cause you spent your whole time being a major stat whore here on Newgrounds and now that reality comes crushing down on you and shows that your obsession has become irrelevant ... you're lashing out .

The portal has always been and will be for fun ... ! The batting averages were a very bad idea to begin with . You have to understand that although we do welcome professional artists here wholeheartedly , the portal is still run and will always be run by the Average Joes !

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 01:20:56

Woah! That's great news! Awsome work Liljim!

WOOT WOOT WOOT WOOT

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 01:32:17

Well done, you guys are implementing some great ideas.

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 01:36:45

It's a great idea.

It makes me wonder though, isn't the BA ratings on how much the highest have, because the A+/B+ ratings moves right? So if everyone is getting higher scores shouldn't the system automaticly make the A+ border higher?

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 02:40:38

oo, my batting ave went up to around 3.95 or somehting.. thats like.. .6 more than i had bfore i think..

yipppe

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 03:10:35

I honestly think this is a horrible update to the site. I enjoyed working my batting average up with each new submission (was about .03 away from an A+), but now it shot up much too far. I know I'm not a 4.01 average artist.

Artists use to be able to be proud of their A+ or 4.00+ averages, but now any sucker who votes up 3 select submissions can have one =/

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 03:17:53

The new approach to the batting avg is much better :)

IMO, Top 5 might be a bit better. Like others have said, the bar has to rise for the grades, too.

Here's what I say:

4.20 = S+
4.10 = S
4.00 = S-
3.80 = A+
3.60 = A
3.40 = A-
3.20 = B+
3.00 = B
2.75 = B-
2.50 = C+
2.25 = C
2.00 = C -
1.75 = D+
1.50 = D
< 1.50 = D-

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 03:22:03

At 6/24/06 02:19 AM, squeakytoad wrote: I never really saw batting average as a sign of a good animator or not. I usually don't even scroll down that far. It's the awards that usually mean something.

Right, then you should be happy. This change will make more people feel that way.

Top fifty rated is also gonna change quite a bit now.

I doubt it will change at all. They'll probably keep the old system just for the top 50 rated, because the new one is more open to abuse.

Batting average in baseball doesn't just take into account that player's best three games. It counts his whole season.
Nobody's gonna want a hitter who can only do three good games a year and then suck at the rest.

OK speaking metaphorically. What if that baseball player began as a lousy player but improved and became a star hitter over his career? Do you think his career batting average would reflect that? No, he'd have lower then he deserved due to his earlier stuff. Since this is the internet and it doesn't really matter, why not give people what they deserve?
OR, if the whole "early career" metaphor doesnt work for you, what if a player often batted poorly, but every once in awhile he smacked one out of the park? Yeah... that actually happens all the time in baseball. It shouldn't reflect TOO poorly on the player if they are incosistently phenomenal. Unless its Barry Bonds. gaaah FUCK BASEBALL METAPHORS THEYRE OVERUSED

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 03:33:14

At 6/24/06 03:10 AM, ConverseLock wrote: Artists use to be able to be proud of their A+ or 4.00+ averages, but now any sucker who votes up 3 select submissions can have one =/

Well, you still need 3 great submissions. Honestly, if someone can make 3 (or 5, see above) submissions that score over 4.00, they're pretty successful in my book.

A system that awards both quality and quantity would work a little something like this:

- First, ignore flashes with scores of less than 2.00
- For each flash, subtract 2.00 from its score, then cube* the result. This is the value of this flash
- Add the value of each flash to find the artist's total score.

This system wouldn't have a limit to how high you can score, but low-scoring submissions would be worth much. Here are some examples of the value of a flash based on their scores:

2.10 = 0.001
2.50 = 0.125
3.00 = 1.000
3.50 =3.375
4.00 = 8.000
4.50 = 15.625

* To put more focus on quantity, square instead of cubing, or don't even do that. To put more focus on quality, take it to the power of 4 or higher instead of cubing, or subtract more than 2.00 from the scores.

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 04:28:57

well thanks liljim!!! much appreciated all that programmin'.

and now for my gripe:

isn't it kinda pointless to have a batting average if it's only based on 3 submissions?

of course it is.

the batting average was supposed to let us know the rating of the actual flash artists entire catalog of stuff, not three of the best.

as far as i'm concerned, the batting average has no point to exist anymore. 3 submissions, BAH!!!!!!!

and one more thing. start workin' on the audio portal and quit actin' like the audio artists on this site don't matter. this site has some of the best music ever made on it and we get the complete short end of the stick 'cause we don't use flash we just use fruity loops, acid, reason, sonar, audacity, etc. etc. etc.

the audio portal has changed since it was made. it no longer is for strictly loops for flash artists. we've grown our own crazy thing outta what you gave to us and we thank you. now make it better 'cause it's inefficient dammit. goddamn zero voters piss everybody off including the flash artists. get rid of the scoring system on the audio portal. it's not like it's needed since audio can't be blamed and it can only be flagged if it's stolen.

my youtube.

click it.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 04:41:38

very very very nice change. all of that ruthless downvoting my friends and I had been recieving for several months just went to waste.
I'm also happy to see that stupid 2 MB rule and the retarded BA limits in the flash forum become much less effective :). Those were two of the stupidest rules on the site, apart from the "personal attacks" rule. Couple that with the fact that artists can now delete their own flagged submissions and I'd say a lot of the biggest problems with the portal are finally being addressed. The admins are doin a great job right now.

And to everyone who is pissed because they think BA doesn't mean anything anymore. Thats fuckin bullshit. It didn't mean anything BEFORE, it means a hell of a lot more now then it did then. You all put way too much emphasis on BA anyways, you stat whores.

tre

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 05:38:05

OMG mine went from 3.05 to 3.6 OMG I was scared about submitting risky entries that could be a thread to me. I have a tendency to submit silly flash from time-to-time this is good.

Bla

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 06:19:39

This sounds fishy. Let me guess...the real reason for this is so Tom doesn't have all those mediocre programming experiments he made over the years counting against his score? Can't fool me.

On another note, I've always thought it was far too easy to get an A+ rating and this will only make it easier. Perhaps the thresholds should be changed someday.

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 06:54:05

good change really

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 07:01:49

Thats a good change!

Gamertag: BlackFlameNG Xbox 360 Club

Gamerscore: 25,275- last updated 23/February/09

Steam ID: BlackFlameNG

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 07:11:37

Awesome changes, nice work.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 08:50:05

Wow. 2.95 to 3.39.

O_O

sockpuppetclock

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 09:12:15

At 6/24/06 04:41 AM, F00D wrote: the retarded BA limits in the flash forum

last year, before the rule, if you went to the flash forum, 75% of the topics were OMG MUSIZK CALLOB!!!!!1!! from people who had no idea what they were doing and something had to be done, so we limited collab usage to people who actually know how to use flash and were trusted enough to finish a project. It really helped revive the flash forum.

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 10:02:08

At 6/24/06 09:50 AM, Rodents wrote: That's a sweet update.

You should update levels and add like another 10+ levels.

I think that's what he has in store next ...!

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 10:10:50

At 6/24/06 09:12 AM, Glaiel_Gamer wrote:
At 6/24/06 04:41 AM, F00D wrote: the retarded BA limits in the flash forum
last year, before the rule, if you went to the flash forum, 75% of the topics were OMG MUSIZK CALLOB!!!!!1!! from people who had no idea what they were doing and something had to be done, so we limited collab usage to people who actually know how to use flash and were trusted enough to finish a project. It really helped revive the flash forum.

The Batting Average limits are retarded indeed ... they prevented artists who had alot of submissions and a not so perfect BA like ZekeySpaceyLizard ( for example) from starting any collabs in Newgrounds and are you honestly gonna tell me that Zekey doesn't know what he's doing?! Ha!

This new change revealed the Batting Averages for what they are ... ! Meaningless!
The flash forum will florish and blossom with this new change!

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 10:18:43

At 6/24/06 10:10 AM, _Jack_Sparrow_ wrote: The Batting Average limits are retarded indeed ... they prevented artists who had alot of submissions and a not so perfect BA like ZekeySpaceyLizard ( for example) from starting any collabs in Newgrounds and are you honestly gonna tell me that Zekey doesn't know what he's doing?! Ha!

This new change revealed the Batting Averages for what they are ... ! Meaningless!
The flash forum will florish and blossom with this new change!

Oh just shut up if you have no clue what you're talking about. Zekey never tried to start a collab, and if he would have, it would've been allowed. There are exceptions to the rule. Keep in mind that most of the time the BA rule is a good thing, sure there are times when it doesn't work, but at those times exceptions are made. So yes, the rule is perfect atm.

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 10:23:56

brilliant so now i can submit my crap stuff while still working on my realy good stuff and get them on the prtal with the benifit of the good one wooooo!!!!!

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 11:56:08

Ok solid! I was a little bit worried with the about the last piece of news you sent. But it all really makes sense now. Maybe the grades themselves should be changed now? Because a lot of people just have A+ right off the bat, even if most of their submissions arent all that good.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 12:08:30

Awesome! 3.21 B+! Thanks liljim!

Let's all catch thumbtacks on our bare eyes!

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 12:36:30

I don't think i care...i never create flash stuff.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 12:45:13

This is a much needed change, and people who don't agree with that are dumbasses :P

It means that people like me who have low scoring entries, especially ones in collections or with nostalgic value, don't have to delete them to boost their BAs. Artists are no longer under pressure to delete their first works. Not only does it mean that they can feel safer posting silly submissions, or ones which may only appeal to a smaller audience, with their main accounts; it also means that they are under greater pressure to make each serious submission better than the one before it, rather than just above their BA. All thumbs up for it!

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 12:47:10

At 6/24/06 12:45 PM, _Paranoia_ wrote: Not only does it mean that they can feel safer posting silly submissions, or ones which may only appeal to a smaller audience, with their main accounts; it also means that they are under greater pressure to make each serious submission better than the one before it, rather than just above their BA. All thumbs up for it!

Very, very well said Para.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 13:31:46

And wut about the audio guys HUH?

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 13:50:10

Thanks. Good to know that I won't be disappointed once I get flash.

Batting Average

The deeper you delve, the more strategizing is involved.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 14:38:14

That's cool.

*sigh*

Maybe I should start making flash movies, too... *buys Flash8*