00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Petepan09 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Batting Average

21,898 Views | 233 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 15:52:57

Awesome stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 16:11:09

At 6/24/06 02:38 PM, McMakkara wrote: That's cool.

*sigh*

Maybe I should start making flash movies, too... *buys Flash8*

it's a dick

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 16:34:26

Wow! that is such a good idea!!

I know that that's an issue I've had before, but I never thought there was a way to fix it, I never would that hought of that.

Way to go Tom! You never stop working for us!! ;)

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 17:33:43

That is pretty kick ass. Thank you James. :-D

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 17:58:53

Well, Thats kickass! I have an A+

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 18:49:25

Well tom where is james then?

In order to become a Leader... U must first serve as a follower

History Crew

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 19:24:22

At 6/24/06 09:12 AM, Glaiel_Gamer wrote:
At 6/24/06 04:41 AM, F00D wrote: the retarded BA limits in the flash forum
last year, before the rule, if you went to the flash forum, 75% of the topics were OMG MUSIZK CALLOB!!!!!1!! from people who had no idea what they were doing and something had to be done, so we limited collab usage to people who actually know how to use flash and were trusted enough to finish a project. It really helped revive the flash forum.

I see it this way. A good collab starts out as a good idea. If you don't have a good idea, its only natural that people will not want to make parts for the collab. It doesn't matter if 75% of the threads were crappy, because they most likely never got off the ground. If you DO have a good idea, people will be motivated to help you out. It just works out that way. So I don't understand why batting average would factor into that equation and bring in unecesary limits to the forum. Your batting average (supposedly) reflects the quality of your past work. Does the quality of your past work in any way hinder your ability to come up with a new, better idea for something else?

Honestly, at this point, the last thing the flash forum needs is LESS collabs. I've only seen several succesful collabs in the past few months from the flash forum, and most of them took 8 months or so to create. I've seen numerous collabs get many parts and have lots of work put into them, then die a slow, painful death (All Fads Die 4?). Hey, don't think I don't know about these things. I used to be a flash forum reg too. I stopped going there once I realized that no one, including myself, ever got anything done.
I also heard someone mention how ZekeySpaceyLizard has never made a collab in the flash forum. Well, thats true, but he used to be a flash forum reg and a contributor to several collabs. Not anymore though, now he usually participates in SS or GG collabs. Hmm I wonder why? Could it be because these flash crews are almost always far more productive in making flash then the flash forum regs?

Anyways, back to the topic. This particular rule won't be causing a flood of crappy collab threads on the flash forum, if thats what the flash forum regs are worried about. The people whose BAs were affected enough to bring them into collab-making territory are the people who deserved to be able to make collabs anyway.

tre

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 20:18:59

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 21:28:01

At 6/24/06 08:18 PM, Barbeq wrote: F00D, I don't know if you already know this but don't get to exited :D

oh so its AFD 5 then? I thought you were on AFD 4. anyways, ill believe it when i see it... its been 2 months since that thread was started so it seems like you guys are still stalling a bit : \

tre

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 22:02:53

mines up from 2.46 to 3.30. wow!

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 22:33:49

That is great... I already submitted all of my shit stuff to my alt account....

lol

wew

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 22:45:15

At 6/23/06 12:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: Everyone should take a moment and thank Liljim for implementing all these great changes! James does all the PHP / database programming, so without him, these features wouldn't happen.

Thank you liljim!!!

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-24 23:21:43

thank Liljim for implementing all these great changes! James does all the PHP / database programming, so without him, these features wouldn't happen.

Thank you liljim. I hope you make a lot more cool features to newgrounds

Charlie: I'm about to show you the white-hot cream of an 8th grade boy.

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 00:34:14

Hey F00D!
www.ngcollabs.com

=D

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 00:34:39

haha thats awsome... I was wondering why the hell I had a 3.53 BA...

Hi.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 02:22:34

Ok, here are a few ideas. I think a lot of people may agree with them.

1) Why not simply avoid the controversy and have TWO numbers, one a true "batting average" and the other the "top 3" average? That way we can reward both the most consistent submitters AND the ones who made just a few very good flashes. There can also be 2 different artist top-50 lists, one based on the "top 3" and the other based on the actual "batting average". More statistics on Newgrounds never hurt anyone - in fact, going through those statistics is the main way that I find interesting stuff on Newgrounds (aside from the front page).

2) With all of this revamping that's going on, the audio portal needs to be fixed as well. Stop goddamn ignoring it. First of all, would it be possible for me to actually SEE THE REVIEWS THAT I'VE WRITTEN for audio submissions on my user page (they should be on a separate page from the flash reviews), or at the VERY least have a FAVOURITES list just for audio submissions?

See, the problem is this: my way to "bookmark" interesting flash submissions is to either write a review for them or to put them in my favourites. Neither of these options are available to me in the audio portal. Seriously, what the hell? Am I supposed to just memorize the name of every single thing that I like, or write it all down on some piece of paper? We're not living in the goddamn Middle Ages, are we?

Also, there should be a certain time period (maybe a week, like in the flash portal) before a piece of music is added to the top-rated-of-all-time list. I see way too may "5.00/5.00"-rated submissions in the top 50 that only have ONE vote, while the actual GOOD MUSIC begins some distance below. This badly needs to be fixed.

Unlike a previous user, I see no problem at all with the 1-5 rating system on the audio portal. How am I supposed to know if something is good, after all? Definitely keep it. But please, fix those problems that I mentioned above.

Thank you for reading (well, I HOPE someone is reading :P).

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 04:17:55

thats gr8 keep giving us more updates maybe sumthing like where u can have like a catagory section for rpg or mmorpg or sumit?

Xbox360 Gamertag : xXGrimwormXx

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 04:57:58

At 6/25/06 02:22 AM, Esn wrote: Ok, here are a few ideas. I think a lot of people may agree with them.

1) Why not simply avoid the controversy and have TWO numbers, one a true "batting average" and the other the "top 3" average? That way we can reward both the most consistent submitters AND the ones who made just a few very good flashes. There can also be 2 different artist top-50 lists, one based on the "top 3" and the other based on the actual "batting average".

That't defeat the purpose of the change and leave artists feeling under pressure to delete older works, and remove the freedom to experiment. Even if there are two lists, chances are they want to be high on both due to basic stat-whorery.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 07:59:06

At 6/25/06 05:26 AM, squeakytoad wrote: Think of those lower in the top fifty artists who were hanging in there by a 4.03 or so because they submitted a good amount of decent movies.

What the fuck does having a lot of submissions around the same score prove? With someone's three best submissions, they've proved all they need to about their current animating skills.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 08:50:51

yay! my batting average is now A+, thats a good thing, but wait, nooooooooooo! tom now has 4.22 and is loads ahead of me :'( i used to be happy with the fact i had almost the same batting average as THE tom fulp, now i dont :'( time to go start a billion collabs >:)

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 09:13:03

At 6/23/06 12:23 PM, TomFulp wrote: Per some recent discussion, artist batting averages are now based on their TOP THREE submissions. This means your bad submissions won't hurt you, as long as you have submitted good ones!

Woah, that's awesome man. I won't have to worry about submitting goofy flashes that get protected with like 1.61 keeping me down anymore :p

Artists no longer have to remove old submissions to improve their average, they simply have to submit new, better games and movies! Artists are also now free to submit goofy stuff that may have previously hurt their average.

yay :D. I love goofy stuff.

Everyone should take a moment and thank Liljim for implementing all these great changes! James does all the PHP / database programming, so without him, these features wouldn't happen.

Thanks, Liljim!

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 09:24:00

That's good, at least I know that when I get the gonads to submit my first Flash,
I won't completely kill me.

Thanks.

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 10:23:38

yay! I can finally upload my firstest and worstest flash ever!

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 10:25:52

Koolio....now all i have to do is figure out how to make um git a better comurter to downlaod it all take 4-8months of my life spending night and day to make it absulutly perfect and ill be set!////Nah im to lazy think ill just siit back and keep testin all the games.....ya that sutes me better XD

Batting Average

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 11:15:24

At 6/24/06 06:19 AM, Parasoul wrote: This sounds fishy. Let me guess...the real reason for this is so Tom doesn't have all those mediocre programming experiments he made over the years counting against his score? Can't fool me.

On another note, I've always thought it was far too easy to get an A+ rating and this will only make it easier. Perhaps the thresholds should be changed someday.

I've never considered the batting average to be an important stat, I've never even kept tabs on mine. That's part of the reason why I was overlooking how important BA is to other artists.

The reason we are adding this now is because with the manual delete system, we don't want authors deleting submissions for the sake of improving a stat.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 11:19:24

At 6/25/06 11:15 AM, TomFulp wrote: I've never considered the batting average to be an important stat...

...then what is?

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 12:08:22

you ever think audio will ever have a batting average???

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 18:04:20

Oh thats cool. Although Tom, you should fire yourself. Ya see you need to prioratise these things, no one needs to remove old submissions if the bad ones don't count!

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 18:17:34

Thanks so much Tom/Liljim. This is a great idea!

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to Batting Average 2006-06-25 20:15:56

At 6/25/06 09:35 AM, squeakytoad wrote: There are some animators that dazzle us every once in a while. Then there are the ones that keep Newgrounds what it is by putting out constant entertaining content. I believe they should be rewarded just as much as those guys with movies in the top ten.

People who put out a load of good submissions are getting decent battling averages out of the top three system too. You make it sound like they're getting screwed over. And the people who keep Newgrounds what it is are people who aren't afraid to make something fun and amising, or take risks with original ideas rather than just recycled crowd pleasing stuff put over ten or so animations. Great artists shouldn't be punished for being inconsistent or trying something new every once in a while.

Besides, this is basically an improved version of the previous BA system; it saves artists getting old entries deleted to have just their top ones counted.

I don't see how having a top three and an average could be a bad thing.

Because having a total average stat would just renew the pressure that this change is set to relieve. If you have a stat, people are bound to want to have theirs high. If you want to find good artists and aren't happy with the top three rule, you should just follow decent submissions.

BBS Signature