Be a Supporter!

Top 2,000 Exp Users

  • 122,927 Views
  • 2,090 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 02:30:37 Reply

If you're in the top 2,000 users by experience points, then here you can track your progress today and weekly. These are also the same users who are the panel of judges in the Monthly Newgrounds Contest along with the mods and nominated artists.
http://fringelife.dn..o.com/ng/top2000.php

I just thought I'd help out the Newgrounds community with something I am good at. Since I don't have the time to learn Flash, a least I can put together a program in my spare time that you might enjoy.

Nomader
Nomader
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 54
Melancholy
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 02:34:11 Reply

It looks wonderful, even though I'm not on it.

However, I have a question - is this a program updated manually? Or is this a program run on Newgrounds servers?

The Nerf of Wade would loom in the air if were the latter...


Nomader ('No, mad, er').
Review Request Club // Former Wi/Ht? Regular
Oh God, you're an idiot.

BBS Signature
CursedPanther
CursedPanther
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 02:36:08 Reply

Alright! Thanks for making the list.

BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 02:44:21 Reply

At 12/31/05 02:34 AM, Nomader wrote: However, I have a question - is this a program updated manually? Or is this a program run on Newgrounds servers?

Actually no to both questions. It's updated automatically, but it's only using public information from our profiles.

The Nerf of Wade would loom in the air if were the latter...

Wade doesn't have to bring out his Nerf gun, I'm not doing anything wrong.

CursedPanther
CursedPanther
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 02:50:03 Reply

Is it possible for you to make a top 2000 B/P list?

BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 02:56:24 Reply

At 12/31/05 02:50 AM, Dichromate wrote: Is it possible for you to make a top 2000 B/P list?

Yes I might eventually, but not for a while. I'm starting with this first and maybe in the following weeks or months I'll see if I can get other stats together as well.

Xiivi
Xiivi
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 03:00:12 Reply

Well it's a good list; however, those won't be the same list as the Monthly Voting set of users. It goes off of the top 2,000 active depositers for that month. And as you can see, many people in the top 2000 rank-wise are not in the top 2,000 active-wise.

So yes; it is great for rankings and such. Yet it doesn't really show anything for the voting panel.

Also, to be on the safe side; ask Wade or liljim about this because they might want to check it out for themselves even if you say it's ok.


Wi/Ht? #28

BBS Signature
BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 03:14:03 Reply

At 12/31/05 03:00 AM, Xiivi wrote: Well it's a good list; however, those won't be the same list as the Monthly Voting set of users. It goes off of the top 2,000 active depositers for that month. And as you can see, many people in the top 2000 rank-wise are not in the top 2,000 active-wise.

From the Monthly Contest info page:
So who are these judges, you ask? Currently, the panel consists of the top 2,000 ranking Newgrounds members who were active within the past month. "Top 2,000" means they have more experience points than any other users (they would have to have deposited every day for at least a year to qualify). We feel these long-term users have earned the right to be involved in such an important process.

So yes; it is great for rankings and such. Yet it doesn't really show anything for the voting panel.

Yes it does.

Also, to be on the safe side; ask Wade or liljim about this because they might want to check it out for themselves even if you say it's ok.

This is no different than any other ranking site out there with Newgrounds users, except that it's more automated. I wouldn't have posted this on the site, if I thought it wasn't ok. They can take a look at it all they want, I don't see any reason for them to be bothered about it.

Shaun
Shaun
  • Member since: Jan. 1, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 03:15:49 Reply

thats awesome.
this program sounds pretty useful..
could be used for top posts.. B/P.. etc. etc. as well?


// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature
BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 03:23:56 Reply

At 12/31/05 03:15 AM, madknt wrote: thats awesome.
this program sounds pretty useful..
could be used for top posts.. B/P.. etc. etc. as well?

Oh I'm sure I can get those going as well. Right now I'm just seeing how well this is received and I can then get to working on B/P and other lists.

Major-punk
Major-punk
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 03:28:55 Reply

At 12/31/05 03:23 AM, BigBlueBalls wrote:
At 12/31/05 03:15 AM, madknt wrote: thats awesome.
this program sounds pretty useful..
could be used for top posts.. B/P.. etc. etc. as well?
Oh I'm sure I can get those going as well. Right now I'm just seeing how well this is received and I can then get to working on B/P and other lists.

I would appreciate this so much!, please if there is anyway you can manage this please do!

Please, Please, Please!
j00bie
j00bie
  • Member since: Apr. 17, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 04:04:41 Reply

bigblueballs, it is the top 2000 users who have deposited the most for the month.

i know plenty of users not in the top 2000 who are elgible to vote, and users in the top 2000 who also can not because of missed deposits ffff

BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 04:14:00 Reply

At 12/31/05 04:04 AM, j00bie wrote: bigblueballs, it is the top 2000 users who have deposited the most for the month.

i know plenty of users not in the top 2000 who are elgible to vote, and users in the top 2000 who also can not because of missed deposits ffff

If this is true, then Tom changed the rules and didn't update the page...
http://www.newgrounds.com/monthlyvote.html

Gooch
Gooch
  • Member since: May. 24, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 04:16:55 Reply

I always liked to find out where I stood amongst te rest of the pack, which I do. Now this list is going to be handy for me, since I'll be able to track how many points I need to get past other users who are either inactive or right in front of me. I like this list, and hopefully you'll go into other lists as things progress.

XwaynecoltX
XwaynecoltX
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Movie Buff
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 05:05:06 Reply

Very nice list there, its very in-depth and i love the icons next to the names nice work indeed...

~X~


~X~ ~X~ ~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
POXNORA ??? A Very Unique game

BBS Signature
Zendra
Zendra
  • Member since: Sep. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 51
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 05:37:00 Reply

A very nice list indeed! Great job.
Although I'm missing a little feature: being able to search your name, without having to search through the pages. Would that be possible?

X-Naut
X-Naut
  • Member since: May. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 05:59:11 Reply

Nice list. It was neat, seeing the icons next to the names, that added a nice touch. Although, it would be neater, if there was a "Search for your name," thing, but oh well. At least this will give me a chance, to get onto another list........hopefully.


Filler text.
Because this space needs to be bigger than it already should be.
Jigen made this sig. madknt downsized it to fit the filesize limit. Go team.

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 07:45:51 Reply

At 12/31/05 03:14 AM, BigBlueBalls wrote: From the Monthly Contest info page:
So who are these judges, you ask? Currently, the panel consists of the top 2,000 ranking Newgrounds members who were active within the past month.

Yes, that's correct.

"Top 2,000" means they have more experience points than any other users (they would have to have deposited every day for at least a year to qualify). We feel these long-term users have earned the right to be involved in such an important process.

So yes; it is great for rankings and such. Yet it doesn't really show anything for the voting panel.
Yes it does.

Actually, no, it doesn't. And nothing has changed with the rules - "they would have to have deposited every day for at least a year to qualify" applies to new users, who only started depositing their points and have gotten up to that level. Some user who signed up back in 99 could have deposited their points for two or three years, gone on a hiatus for a year or two and then deposited last month - and then they would still have been eligible to vote for this month's nominations, because they ranked higher than other new people who had been depositing their points regularly for the past however many days.

This list (as with all lists that are cumulated in this way) is fundamentally flawed in that not everyone has a public profile and whilst experience points are on display in the last 50 deposited list, you never know quite who's going to crawl out of the woodwork and deposit their experience after being away a long while and make your list inaccurate.

Frostbreath
Frostbreath
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 08:14:17 Reply

At 12/31/05 05:59 AM, InsOmniaC777 wrote: Nice list. It was neat, seeing the icons next to the names, that added a nice touch. Although, it would be neater, if there was a "Search for your name," thing, but oh well. At least this will give me a chance, to get onto another list........hopefully.

Well, if you want to get the rank of one specific person, you can always search for him here on NG, and then look up hid current rank. It may take a bit longer, but it's still quite easy :)

I really dig this thing, i'm so pleased by the fact that we have a new rank-list-thingie in the Wi/Ht? forum. Great job, too, it looks great :)

YoinK
YoinK
  • Member since: Jan. 5, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 09:23:37 Reply

That list is really cool. I like it. I like how it shows a user's progress and it shows the level icon. I didn't know that there were so many level 12's on this site. I hope Wade approves this list.


Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!

T-H
T-H
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 10:34:14 Reply

Hah that was awesome thanks!

Just realised I'm at #555

BigBlueBalls
BigBlueBalls
  • Member since: Nov. 8, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 13:45:42 Reply

At 12/31/05 07:45 AM, liljim wrote: Actually, no, it doesn't. And nothing has changed with the rules - "they would have to have deposited every day for at least a year to qualify" applies to new users, who only started depositing their points and have gotten up to that level. Some user who signed up back in 99 could have deposited their points for two or three years, gone on a hiatus for a year or two and then deposited last month - and then they would still have been eligible to vote for this month's nominations, because they ranked higher than other new people who had been depositing their points regularly for the past however many days.

Well I noticed that the lowest of the 2,000 users were around 3620, so I thought that it was a rough estimation of how long it would take to get into the top 2,000 ranked users, which is about a year. So they have to deposit for exactly 365 days and have at least 3650 points? See I was going completely by what people were ranked in Experience Points. If it says, "Ranked # 1,834" it means you're in the top 2,000, but if it says "Ranked # 2,142", then you're not. That's basically how I perceived the rules.

This list (as with all lists that are cumulated in this way) is fundamentally flawed in that not everyone has a public profile and whilst experience points are on display in the last 50 deposited list, you never know quite who's going to crawl out of the woodwork and deposit their experience after being away a long while and make your list inaccurate.

Well I'm only doing what I can with the info that I got. It helps having the "Last 50 Deposits" page as well to sometimes catch those elusive people coming out of the woodwork.

gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 15:20:49 Reply

First of all, you should check out these threads:

The topic in which ShittyKitty unveiled his NG Lister, a program that pulls many many forms of data (exp, blams, saves, VP, posts, submission count, audio submission count, reviews, etc. etc.) from our profiles, back in August 2004:
http://www.newground../topic.php?id=165658

The topic in which ShittyKitty launched his NG Total Listing, a series of webpages that charted out tens of thousands of users ranked by all those different stats he was pulling automatically every week (sometimes twice a week):
http://www.newground../topic.php?id=166951

And finally, the topic in which another user's new BBS-crawling spider (for the purpose of getting info about topics and the authors who posted them and so forth) attracted the attention (and anger) of Wade Fulp directed at both that program and ShittyKitty's NG Lister program:
http://www.newground../topic.php?id=242568

Because they all... and particularly that last thread... have relevance to this thread, really. Unless liljim and Wade are perfectly fine with programs like these again. Programs that automatically DL profiles to mine data from them faster than a human with an unaltered browser can do so but simultaneously tax NG's database.

At 12/31/05 03:14 AM, BigBlueBalls wrote:
At 12/31/05 03:00 AM, Xiivi wrote: Well it's a good list; however, those won't be the same list as the Monthly Voting set of users. It goes off of the top 2,000 active depositers for that month. And as you can see, many people in the top 2000 rank-wise are not in the top 2,000 active-wise.
From the Monthly Contest info page:
So who are these judges, you ask? Currently, the panel consists of the top 2,000 ranking Newgrounds members who were active within the past month. "Top 2,000" means they have more experience points than any other users (they would have to have deposited every day for at least a year to qualify). We feel these long-term users have earned the right to be involved in such an important process.

You highlighted the "ranking" and "they would have to have deposited every day for at least a year to qualify" portions of that quote, but you forgot to notice one other part of it:

"Currently, the panel consists of the top 2,000 ranking Newgrounds members who were active within the past month."

Hopefully the boldface and then the underline draws your eye to the part of the contest explanation that Xiivi and joobie and liljim and others have been speaking about.

The top 2000 exp users who are active within the past month would only be the same thing as the top 2000 exp users on NG PERIOD if all 2000 of the top 2000 exp users... deposited at least once within that month.

And of course they haven't. There are tons of dormant, retired, sleeping, gone, dead, whathaveyou high-exp users who used to deposit a lot but no longer do, as liljim was getting at.

Also, to be on the safe side; ask Wade or liljim about this because they might want to check it out for themselves even if you say it's ok.
This is no different than any other ranking site out there with Newgrounds users, except that it's more automated. I wouldn't have posted this on the site, if I thought it wasn't ok. They can take a look at it all they want, I don't see any reason for them to be bothered about it.

See those earlier thread links I posted. Many people have "thought something was ok" but been told otherwise in the past. The reason to be bothered is if it affects the performance of the site as a whole for the 1000s and 1000s of users who come to this site but don't care about stat lists. This has been told to us time and time again. To the point where it's been really effectively drilled into our heads and stuck forever. #;-}>

At 12/31/05 03:23 AM, BigBlueBalls wrote:
At 12/31/05 03:15 AM, madknt wrote: thats awesome.
this program sounds pretty useful..
could be used for top posts.. B/P.. etc. etc. as well?
Oh I'm sure I can get those going as well. Right now I'm just seeing how well this is received and I can then get to working on B/P and other lists.

Again... been done before. Two or three times, actually. For most of the stats you've already thought of. You need to read some Wi/Ht? history.

At 12/31/05 04:04 AM, j00bie wrote: bigblueballs, it is the top 2000 users who have deposited the most for the month.

i know plenty of users not in the top 2000 who are elgible to vote, and users in the top 2000 who also can not because of missed deposits ffff

jooborz, your heart was in the right place while correcting him, but your head wasn't. You don't become eligible to vote by depositing "the most" for the month. You become eligible to vote by depositing AT ALL. As in even once, within that month. Not the most. The EXP is where "the most" counts, not the deposit count within the month.

The depositing the most part counts for winning the $100 cash prize for voters. Not for being one of the monthly contest voting members. The two things have separate qualifications.


gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
gfoxcook
gfoxcook
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 15:37:54 Reply

At 12/31/05 03:20 PM, gfoxcook wrote: And of course they haven't. There are tons of dormant, retired, sleeping, gone, dead, whathaveyou high-exp users who used to deposit a lot but no longer do, as liljim was getting at.

Couple clarifications. You'd said something about how someone who's ranked "1850" or so would be in the top 2000 and someone who's ranked "2150" or so wouldn't. But the whole point of what I was getting at, in response to that comment you'd made in the most recent post in this thread when I posted.... was that if the #1850 user hasn't deposited since 2004 and the #2150 user deposited yesterday, then there is 0 chance the #1850 will be voting in the contest but there is at least SOMEwhat of a chance that the #2150 guy can.

All he needs is for 150 or more users in the top 2000 to have NOT BEEN ACTIVE in the past month, and he'll be in the top 2000 active users and he'll be a voter in the monthly contest.

Again... been done before. Two or three times, actually. For most of the stats you've already thought of. You need to read some Wi/Ht? history.

Also, just wanted to clarify because that could have come off as though I was saying "been there, done that, you're unoriginal." What I meant by the above is that many many lists used to exist that now no longer do exist (or at least not in their original top 500, top 1500, top 2500, etc. etc. formats but instead a top 50, top 100, or top 200 made manually) because of that third thread I linked you to in my above post.

There's nothing wrong with taking up the reigns again and doing a list that people have done in the past. UNLESS it's going to meet with resistance from NG admins, that is. They decide what's in the best interests of NG. And even though liljim didn't say "shut it down" in his above post, I'm just telling you to tread carefully and if you are going to tool around with programs that may affect NG's performance, it's best to share that with the admins right off the bat, and above all else...

DO NOT SHARE the program with anyone else unless admins say it is okay. Because 1 person using something like that and 10+ people using something like that begin to be exponentially different.


gfox // wi/ht?#9 // 2x10k PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Bahamut's List!
a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature
Corey-the-Afro-Jew
Corey-the-Afro-Jew
  • Member since: Apr. 10, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 15:38:01 Reply

This is amazing. How did you do all of this?

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Member since: Mar. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 54
Reader
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 16:03:06 Reply

Very cool list man. I like how it also shows previous aliases, which is useful in my case, lol. Bookmarking it for sure.


Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
BlueHippo
BlueHippo
  • Member since: Jul. 25, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Artist
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 16:08:49 Reply

wow thats pretty neat! i like how it has the little level icons and everything. saddly i'm worthless and aren't even in the top 2000 yet, but once i do...

thanks for the list BigBlueBalls :D


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - : : fart : : bikes: : - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BBS Signature
wesdood
wesdood
  • Member since: Apr. 6, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 16:13:17 Reply

i wish i was in it
hopefully i will be soon

Snowy-Beast
Snowy-Beast
  • Member since: May. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 16:59:23 Reply

At 12/31/05 02:30 AM, BigBlueBalls wrote: If you're in the top 2,000 users by experience points, then here you can track your progress today and weekly. These are also the same users who are the panel of judges in the Monthly Newgrounds Contest along with the mods and nominated artists.
http://fringelife.dn..o.com/ng/top2000.php

That's pretty damn sweet!


Sig made by MuffDiver102

BBS Signature
wizardman
wizardman
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Top 2,000 Exp Users 2005-12-31 17:04:16 Reply

O_O

wow, awesome list. How'd you find all of these?


BBS Signature