00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BACKRUMS just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner

10,492 Views | 141 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-24 23:00:18

For all you ranking list builders out there, I've created this little Windows program that takes a list of profile numbers (you can copy a column of profile numbers out of Excel into a text file for this) and pulls whatever data you need off of the NG profiles. I've been working with a version of the code for a while now, but I find myself unable to test it right now (I'm currently downloading every profile on NG). This thing should work perfectly fine, but if you find any problems at all, email me (address is in my profile). You can download ZIP file containing this program and a readme file from my website at http://www.jfsoftware.com/win/general/nglister.zip. You'll need the Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 to run this program; you can get that through Windows Update (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com). Have fun!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-24 23:09:31

Is that what d0gma was talking about on his website?

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-24 23:13:17

At 8/24/04 11:09 PM, RedCircle wrote: Is that what d0gma was talking about on his website?

Heh, I didn't even notice that. Yeah, this is it. D0GMA need not worry about trashing his sheets, though: this thing runs on text files that you copy from and into Excel, so if anything goes wrong, you can catch it before it affects the sheets.

I've also got another version of this thing running to generate blam/save and experience lists for EVERY USER on Newgrounds (except the level 1's and the Citizens).

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-24 23:22:13

At 8/24/04 11:13 PM, ShittyKitty wrote:
At 8/24/04 11:09 PM, RedCircle wrote: Is that what d0gma was talking about on his website?
Heh, I didn't even notice that. Yeah, this is it. D0GMA need not worry about trashing his sheets, though: this thing runs on text files that you copy from and into Excel, so if anything goes wrong, you can catch it before it affects the sheets.

Very good to know. It would make this updating thing a whole lot easier...I did have the idea a few weeks ago, but never realized that a person could actually do it.

I've also got another version of this thing running to generate blam/save and experience lists for EVERY USER on Newgrounds (except the level 1's and the Citizens).

How long is it taking you to download the files?

(like your sig .gif btw!)

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-24 23:28:31

At 8/24/04 11:22 PM, RedCircle wrote: How long is it taking you to download the files?

It's actually two programs: one to generate a list of profiles (the Maintainer), and one to grab the stats and make the charts (the Builder). I started the Maintainer 4 hours ago, and it's gotten through 78,000 profiles (19,500/hr, 325/min, 5.4/sec). At this rate it should take the program about 51 hours to finish. The Builder will probably go a little slower than this, because it will skip the empty profiles, but it should still get about 3 or 4 profiles a second, and it will probably go through about a third of the profiles, so it should take about a day (I think...).

(like your sig .gif btw!)

Thanks ;-) It was originally a lot bigger, so it took my a while in an animated gif editor to shrink it down to 40kb.

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 00:22:33

I wanted to ask you something.

I downloaded all the stuff, installed .NET framework. The program starts up. I made an input file called input.txt. I made an output file called output.txt. They are in the correct directories. I entered my profile number on one line in the input file. Selected Name. Ran the program.

Now it is saying on the bottom:

Connection error #1509000 ( <-- this one is still going up) on user #635433.

What am I doing wrong?

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 00:35:29

At 8/25/04 12:22 AM, RedCircle wrote: I wanted to ask you something.

I downloaded all the stuff, installed .NET framework. The program starts up. I made an input file called input.txt. I made an output file called output.txt. They are in the correct directories. I entered my profile number on one line in the input file. Selected Name. Ran the program.

Now it is saying on the bottom:

Connection error #1509000 ( <-- this one is still going up) on user #635433.

What am I doing wrong?

:-O I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that I fudged the connection code in the program. I thought it was rejecting me because I had another program like it running. Lemme go look at the code, and I'll see what I can find.

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 00:42:25

At 8/25/04 12:35 AM, ShittyKitty wrote:
-O I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that I fudged the connection code in the program. I thought it was rejecting me because I had another program like it running. Lemme go look at the code, and I'll see what I can find.

Err...I fudged it. I have a chunk of debugging code that looks for a test file on the computer, rather than looking online. I meant to disable that before posting the program, but I forgot too. >.< I was able to test this one, and it works perfectly fine. You can find it at the same spot (http://www.jfsoftware.com/win/general/nglister.zip). Let's see how this one does!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 00:53:11

At 8/25/04 12:42 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: (http://www.jfsoftware.com/win/general/nglister.zip). Let's see how this one does!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH baby!!!

THAT IS ONE SWEET PIECE OF WORK!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 00:58:25

At 8/25/04 12:53 AM, RedCircle wrote:
At 8/25/04 12:42 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: (http://www.jfsoftware.com/win/general/nglister.zip). Let's see how this one does!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH baby!!!

THAT IS ONE SWEET PIECE OF WORK!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!

My pleasure. I'm thinking that the next version will have the ability to pull multiple things at once (i.e. blams, saves, and experience points) without running the program multiple times. But, that will have to wait for tomorrow, because I don't really feel like doing that tonight.

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 04:37:34

At 8/25/04 12:58 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: My pleasure. I'm thinking that the next version will have the ability to pull multiple things at once (i.e. blams, saves, and experience points) without running the program multiple times.

Yeah, I was gonna ask you about that. Might take a little work, but would definitely be worth it. As of now, this one is super freakin awesome!

But, that will have to wait for tomorrow, because I don't really feel like doing that tonight.

Not a problem, take your time, you have already worked hard!!!

Also, I wanted to ask you about something.

Right now, when you pull a stat that is "0", then it reports in the output file that it is a "0". But if the information simply isn't there, would it be possible to record something else, like an "x"?

What do you think?

Might be mucho useful in figuring out whether the stat you pulled was an inactive stat or a deleted user. (for example, batting average)

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 15:00:26

At 8/25/04 04:37 AM, RedCircle wrote: Yeah, I was gonna ask you about that. Might take a little work, but would definitely be worth it. As of now, this one is super freakin awesome!

Actually, it shouldn't be too hard. Besides, last night I came up with another idea: I'll make it take command line parameters. That way you can write a batch file that tells the program exactly what to do, so all you have to do is run the batch file and it automatically fills in the blanks for you (I'll include steps on how to do this in the readme).

Also, I wanted to ask you about something.

Right now, when you pull a stat that is "0", then it reports in the output file that it is a "0". But if the information simply isn't there, would it be possible to record something else, like an "x"?

What do you think?

Might be mucho useful in figuring out whether the stat you pulled was an inactive stat or a deleted user. (for example, batting average)

Hrm...the program can easily tell if a profile is a deleted user; perhaps I can put in an option to have the program spit out an "x" (or anything you want) for a deleted user. I can't really do anything about inactive stats, though; you can only determine that when comparing to older stats, which you would have to do in Excel.

(I'm 36.3% through 1,000,000 profiles! It's been going nearly 20 hours.)

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 16:01:29

At 8/25/04 03:00 PM, ShittyKitty wrote: Boodles more progress

Too bad we can't get this thing to work for what RC and I are working on now lol I'm going to finish filling out some data on that and then take a few cracks at using this.

Once I get the hang of it, I'll likely shorten the interval between updates slightly ... down to 10 days or less to make sure the orange font is available again. There's not much point in reducing it below weekly, as the viability of the Average dissipates the smaller the sample set. It may allow me the spare time and flexibility to make monthly updates e.g.: cumulative 1 Sept to 1 Oct in addition to updates made on 1, 9, 16, and 28 Sept or some such.

Based on the commentary between you and RC so far, the new "worst case" is that we will at least have a list of PIDs to check ... ramagi and I can fill in our blanks =) We'll all have gaps from the vagrants, but there was never an expectation of being able to fill them in. Is the program able to tell the difference between a vagrant and a PID that has not been validated? I can't tell the difference, nor could I begin to figure out what to tell a program to look for to be able to make that distinction.

I'll do a test run of the top 100 or so, where I have no gaps, and see what I can do with the output. ~7 or so I'll run it through.

Much thanks for your work on this!!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 16:06:35

Did you get my profile yet? :P

Seriously, this could be quite useful if I ever decide to compile my own little ranking lists.

Help, I'm trapped inside this guy's signature!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 16:22:20

At 8/25/04 04:01 PM, D0GMA wrote: Once I get the hang of it, I'll likely shorten the interval between updates slightly ... down to 10 days or less to make sure the orange font is available again.

I'm working on a way to automate the program even further, so you don't have to select options every time you run it. Hopefully this will make it easier to adjust to the program.

Based on the commentary between you and RC so far, the new "worst case" is that we will at least have a list of PIDs to check ... ramagi and I can fill in our blanks =) We'll all have gaps from the vagrants, but there was never an expectation of being able to fill them in.

If I can ever get through my profile run (I'm on 382,320 right now) and run the ranking list, it should hopefully eliminate every single hole that your lists may have. Keeping my fingers crossed. However, my parents are talking about moving me up to college tomorrow, rather than this weekend; the Maintainer's not going to finish until midnight tomorrow, so I might have to stop it and run it again this weekend. Oh well...

Is the program able to tell the difference between a vagrant and a PID that has not been validated? I can't tell the difference, nor could I begin to figure out what to tell a program to look for to be able to make that distinction.

Hrm...what do you mean by vagrant? I'm working on a way to have the program indicate if a profile is an error profile (deleted or not validated).

I'll do a test run of the top 100 or so, where I have no gaps, and see what I can do with the output. ~7 or so I'll run it through.

Good luck! Shouldn't take very long to run ;-)

My pleasure. It's nice to make something that people actually appreciate. That's all the reward I need.

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 16:32:03

At 8/25/04 04:27 PM, deck_head_tottie wrote: I went on your site to download other stuff, and I especially liked the encryption software. But when I installed it, Windows wouldn't allow it, because it was making changes in my System32 folder.

So, is that Windows being touchy. Or your software.

Hrm...most of that software was designed for Windows 95/98/ME, so XP might not like the setup program. The actual program should work fine in XP, though. What exactly is the error message when you try to run Setup? If possible, tell the setup program to keep your old files.

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 16:36:04

At 8/25/04 04:27 PM, deck_head_tottie wrote: I went on your site to download other stuff, and I especially liked the encryption software. But when I installed it, Windows wouldn't allow it, because it was making changes in my System32 folder.

So, is that Windows being touchy. Or your software.

Actually, is this the error message you're getting?

C:\Windows\System32\SOMEFILE.DLL

The existing file is newer than the one Setup is trying to install. It is recommended that you keep the existing file.

Do you want to keep the existing file?

If so, click the "Yes" button to keep your files. If you get the message again, just keep clicking Yes. Sorry, but I built these setup programs using older files.

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 18:08:05

I've just finished NGLister 1.1. I've added the following features:
* You can have NGLister return a certain value for empty profiles (ones that have been deleted or not yet verified)
* You can run multiple lists at one time
* You can automate NGLister to use the same settings over and over

It's still at the same place (http://www.jfsoftware.com/win/general/nglister.zip). Enjoy!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 18:38:08

At 8/25/04 04:22 PM, ShittyKitty wrote:
I'm working on a way to automate the program even further, so you don't have to select options every time you run it. Hopefully this will make it easier to adjust to the program.

It's just a matter of getting through the learning curve of how to meld the new system with the spreadsheet. From the runs I've done it's a massive time saver, even if you can't implement the addition (below).

Hrm...what do you mean by vagrant? I'm working on a way to have the program indicate if a profile is an error profile (deleted or not validated).

Vagrants are people who have been validated, but have not made a profile. shak3s is the classic one for the XP list, but the change in the BBS layout has at least made his total XP available to be checked. There's no way to tell where he is on the BP list (if at all) as he does not have a profile from which to garner his blams or protects.

Good luck! Shouldn't take very long to run ;-)

Quite speedy =) I did a run each on blams and protects to see how it worked out. The difference is likely just due to a change in the load on the net, but still it's very impressive.
1711 PIDs:
Blams: 4 minutes 58 seconds = 5.74/sec
Saves: 10 minutes 39 seconds = 2.68/sec

As it's writing to a .txt, the safest way for me to run and insert the data, unless you allow the capability to have multiple output files, is to run the different stat separately. If it spits out two columns of numbers, C&P to Excel will try and put each line in one cell.

One feature that "needs" to be added is the ability to check for rank, experience or BP. It's more an issue for me, due to the volume of gaps I still have, but still important for ramagi. In my case, without that added, I'll have to fill a series for the BP rank, then spot check my way down the list to make compensations. My first gap on the last update is at 158, which means that on line 158 of the Excel, I need to change it to 159, then fill series again. At ranks 232 and 234 are the next blanks, and so on. By the time I get into the 400s, I'll start having to pull all the profiles to extract the correct BP rank as the row vs rank will be off by so much.

Need is in quotes for obvious reasons. It's still a huge time saver as it stands.

My pleasure. It's nice to make something that people actually appreciate. That's all the reward I need.

Off to test out 1.1 (/me keeps 1.0 stashed away ^^)

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 18:47:24

At 8/25/04 06:38 PM, D0GMA wrote: Vagrants are people who have been validated, but have not made a profile. shak3s is the classic one for the XP list, but the change in the BBS layout has at least made his total XP available to be checked. There's no way to tell where he is on the BP list (if at all) as he does not have a profile from which to garner his blams or protects.

Nope, nope. There's no way for me to pull his stats. If he wants to be on a list, he'll just have to do like the rest of us and make a profile ;-)

As it's writing to a .txt, the safest way for me to run and insert the data, unless you allow the capability to have multiple output files, is to run the different stat separately. If it spits out two columns of numbers, C&P to Excel will try and put each line in one cell.

Yeah, I figured Excel would have a hissy fit when trying to C&P two columns at once. 1.1 has the multiple output ability, but it uses separate files, just like you want. :-D

One feature that "needs" to be added is the ability to check for rank, experience or BP. It's more an issue for me, due to the volume of gaps I still have, but still important for ramagi. In my case, without that added, I'll have to fill a series for the BP rank, then spot check my way down the list to make compensations. My first gap on the last update is at 158, which means that on line 158 of the Excel, I need to change it to 159, then fill series again. At ranks 232 and 234 are the next blanks, and so on. By the time I get into the 400s, I'll start having to pull all the profiles to extract the correct BP rank as the row vs rank will be off by so much.

Gee, hadn't thought of that. Looks like I'll be making version 1.2 pretty soon, then. I'll see what you think of 1.1 first, in case I need to make any other changes to the code.

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 19:18:03

At 8/25/04 06:38 PM, D0GMA wrote: One feature that "needs" to be added is the ability to check for rank, experience or BP.

Consider it done. All I need is feedback on 1.1, and you'll have your rank checking ability ;-)

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 19:20:29

At 8/25/04 06:47 PM, ShittyKitty wrote:
Yeah, I figured Excel would have a hissy fit when trying to C&P two columns at once. 1.1 has the multiple output ability, but it uses separate files, just like you want. :-D

Noticed that you were way ahead of me when I went to run it lol Very nice work. Same PIDs ran 8 min 53 seconds (3.21/sec) when writing three outputs files. I'll be the weak link in the system as I take a few minutes to copy the Excel to a new input each week and the output columns into the Excel lol

Gee, hadn't thought of that. Looks like I'll be making version 1.2 pretty soon, then. I'll see what you think of 1.1 first, in case I need to make any other changes to the code.

Solid as it is, the addtion of BP rank is the only tweak I'd be looking for on my end.

One addition I can see gfox wanting would be Sign-up Date, for when he has to rank people within a given Vote Power. ramagi might like it, but NG already calculates XP rank with that as part of the equation, so it would just be extraneous data. That stat only has limited utility, like gfox running it once just to get the data, and never changes, so I'm not sure how important it would be to include it.

Beyond that, I can't think of anything to improve it. Great job!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-25 23:13:20

At 8/25/04 07:20 PM, D0GMA wrote: One addition I can see gfox wanting would be Sign-up Date, for when he has to rank people within a given Vote Power. ramagi might like it, but NG already calculates XP rank with that as part of the equation, so it would just be extraneous data. That stat only has limited utility, like gfox running it once just to get the data, and never changes, so I'm not sure how important it would be to include it.

Okay, I've added Sign-Up Date grabber code to 1.2. However, it's not quite working right; it grabs too much stuff. So, just don't use the Sign-Up Date code until I re-release 1.2. (Personally, I'd prefer to use profile numbers to determine how to rank people with the same data; wouldn't it be more precise than sign-up date?)

I'll be offline for a day or two while I move my stuff up to college, but I'll fix the program as soon as I get the chance. In the meantime, I've added Experience and B/P Rank grabbers to the program, and I've released 1.2 in the usual place (http://www.jfsoftware.com/win/general/nglister.zip). See you guys in a couple of days!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-26 02:08:34

Good luck on the move =) Hopefully your main batch check doesn't get too waylayed by it.

The addition of checking for XP and BP ranks has inserted an error ... no fault in your coding, just that NG is returning something I forgot to warn you about. A couple of weeks ago I changed my e-mail, which required that I revalidate my account. I couldn't get a validation e-mail, so missed out on depositing. When it recalculated ranks, I hadn't revalidated, so I didn't even get a line for experience rank. I got it back at the next recalc, as I was able to validate by then. Odds on these three IDs are in similar straits. Each stalled the check (click continue left it stuck) with this error, XXX being the profile name for each one:

System.InvalidCastException: Cast from string "Personal Profile: XXX</ti" to type 'Integer' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DoubleType.Parse(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.IntegerType.FromString(String Value)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.IntegerType.FromString(String Value)
at NGLister.mMain.ParseInfo(String strInput)
at NGLister.frmMain.btnStart_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

http://www.newgrounds.com/gold/profile/template.php3?id=613167
http://www.newgrounds.com/gold/profile/template.php3?id=538453
http://www.newgrounds.com/gold/profile/template.php3?id=343233

Even if you're not able to come up with a fix for those kinds of failures, I've got a workaround already set up ... multiple input files ;) I already had it set up for the split I have at PC and PL, so it was just a matter of making a couple more and changing the notation in the spread so I don't miss it at each update.

1708 profiles checked in 4 min 39 sec = 6.12/sec. No matter how much time you tack in for me screwing around with .txt files, it still saves me 4 hours ^^

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-26 03:05:02

Ok...cool for making the empty profiles return an "x".

Weird about the profiles with no XP rank. One is livecorpse. Maybe admins took that out, but why? Seems odd...

One thing though. Shitty, how are you downloading all the profiles? Are you seriously making a txt file with the numbers 1 through 1,000,000 in it?

Anyway, I am going to d/l the newest version and see what it has...

One more time, in case I haven't said it enough...Damn Good Work!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-26 03:14:47

While I may never need to download it, I know that others who do lists would be very happy to have this, if they don't already, so great work.

At 8/26/04 03:05 AM, RedCircle wrote: Weird about the profiles with no XP rank. One is livecorpse. Maybe admins took that out, but why? Seems odd...

D0GMA explained it. Simply put, when they needed to revalidate their accounts, they didn't, so the no xp rank error showed up.

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-26 03:28:50

At 8/26/04 03:14 AM, Qwoxyl wrote: D0GMA explained it. Simply put, when they needed to revalidate their accounts, they didn't, so the no xp rank error showed up.

Oh, I see where he wrote it...totally missed it. Thanks!

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-26 09:38:59

At 8/26/04 02:08 AM, D0GMA wrote: Good luck on the move =) Hopefully your main batch check doesn't get too waylayed by it.

Well, looks like I'm not quite gone yet. The stuff's packed, but I hopped on here real quick (plus I wanted to get more b/p points; only 85 more until Sergeant!).

The addition of checking for XP and BP ranks has inserted an error ... no fault in your coding, just that NG is returning something I forgot to warn you about. A couple of weeks ago I changed my e-mail, which required that I revalidate my account. I couldn't get a validation e-mail, so missed out on depositing. When it recalculated ranks, I hadn't revalidated, so I didn't even get a line for experience rank. I got it back at the next recalc, as I was able to validate by then. Odds on these three IDs are in similar straits. Each stalled the check (click continue left it stuck) with this error, XXX being the profile name for each one:

(Nasty little .NET error message......)

Yup, yup, the program's trying to convert a bunch of letters to a number. I should have built some tolerance into the program for missing stats; I'll put that and the signup date fix into a 1.3 version (to be released either tonight or some time tomorrow), and I'll make sure to test using those profile numbers you listed.

At 8/26/04 03:05 AM, RedCircle wrote: Ok...cool for making the empty profiles return an "x".

No problem.

One thing though. Shitty, how are you downloading all the profiles? Are you seriously making a txt file with the numbers 1 through 1,000,000 in it?

I've got a specialized set of programs that use the same basic code as NGLister. One program goes through the 1,000,000 profiles (or as many as I want) looking for profiles with at least level 2 experience, or Safety Patrol ranking, and it makes two lists for experience profiles and blam/save profiles; I would run this program monthly. The other program uses those lists to actually compile the statistics into a bunch of HTML documents; depending on the size of the lists, this program could be run weekly, if not twice a week. If I ever get the time (hopefully this weekend), I'll get that first program running (it takes 2 1/2 days to finish).

Anyway, I am going to d/l the newest version and see what it has...

Just remember: the Sign-Up Date grabber doesn't work right! Oh, and don't try it on profiles that have no experience rank!

One more time, in case I haven't said it enough...Damn Good Work!

Thanks ;-)

(P.S.: Anyone seen gfoxcook lately? Haven't heard from him in a while, and he'd probably be interested in this program. Maybe he's just waiting until I work all of the kinks out ;-) )

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-26 14:17:25

At 8/26/04 09:38 AM, ShittyKitty wrote: (P.S.: Anyone seen gfoxcook lately? Haven't heard from him in a while, and he'd probably be interested in this program. Maybe he's just waiting until I work all of the kinks out ;-) )

No, I've just been busy and/or out of town for the past couple of days.

But yeah, it does have the added benefit of not having tried 1.0 or 1.1. I'll be downloading 1.2 shortly, but... first I gotta install that damned .NET stuff. NemesisM66 wanted me to do so for his exp calculator (you didn't need to for his wonderful VP calc), and I never ended up doing it. Guess I shall now.

As for batch files and so forth, my 6.5+ year old install of win98 no longer lets me run .coms or .bats or anything dos-based within windows, so I hope that everything works out with this. When you said "run multiple stats" or whatever, I take it it's ready for the pentalist?

And you fixed the vote/votes thing for the VP puller, right? So... now all I gotta do is get it ready. I do wonder, though... you have it set to take JUST profile numbers, right? All of my profile # data is in the full URLs... is there a way to just use a text file of full URLs on each line? I mean, I can obviously just remove everything up to the = and just leave the numbers pretty easily (either in excel or in wordpad with find/replace), but it'd be easier to just pop in URLs for me, I dunno about Dogma or ramagi or jonthomson.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Nglister - Ng Profile Data Miner 2004-08-26 15:31:36

Well, I've gotten the .NET set up, I've run the program, I've read the readme... it's all pretty interesting and cool... but as I said, no batch files for me. Isn't there some way you can do the "path\exe" "path\setupfile" thing through the target in a shortcut instead of a .bat?

OR, alternatively... why not an .ini file? If we could just make up .ini files (like the myfile.txt in your example in the readme) for each list or purpose... for instance, I'd make a vp.txt and penta.txt for each list, and when I wanted to do the VP list I'd rename vp.txt to nglister.ini or something. Whatever file is currently nglister.ini would tell nglister what to change the defaults to...

Anyway, I dunno if that's possible. But if it's not, I'll have to manually change everything every time I run the program.

Another alternative, I suppose, is just to be able to change the defaults IN the program, and then click a "save filenames" button or something, which would create a .ini file on its OWN and if you wanted to back it up, you could copy/paste that file at that point. :::shrugs:::

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and see what I can do with the VP list now, I'll report back with results. Pentalist, methinks, is gonna be harder to deal with, but an update isn't coming as soon anyway, so we'll see.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature