00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

joaomfigueiredo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Elite Guard Barracks

2,989,045 Views | 60,653 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-17 17:16:47

At 2/17/10 03:17 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: Yea, I just figured this idiot's comments would be incriminating enough. Why should the Rule of Law only be applicable outside the net? Hell his comment is as good as a B&E (Breaking & Entering) confession as far as I'm concerned.

Because sometimes a user will say something's stolen when it isn't, in an attempt to screw everyone's whistle over when the flash goes under judgement, and he / she proves it was unfairly flagged. Doesn't happen often, but bear in mind that there's nothing really stopping it from happening either.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-17 17:34:25

This, however, is most definitely stolen:

Original. (NSFW)

My guess is that it'll be fileswapped later, but meh; I tried.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-17 17:47:43

At 2/17/10 02:49 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote:
At 2/16/10 11:17 PM, phantomlassuk wrote: Well the entry got blammed I have not read The Barracks Under Fire story yet.
o_0
0_o

You're joking! Man,

*Woman :P

Even though I'm sure you weren't using it in that manner, but instead using man as the generic word that people use when talking to a human.

are you way behind, Eagle was finishing it up all through the later half of last year Phantom. It's quite a good read.

I also haven't read it yet, but Eagle and I recently talked about the series and how I was going to be incorporated into them so I guess I'm kind of forced to read into them because everyone loves to have things written about themselves. :]

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-17 17:50:18

Aw nuts, I missed it. Ah well, nice catch Sheizen.

Anyway, check this out:

The Who -- before Super Bowl XLIV, UNPLUGGED

The Who -- start of Super Bowl XLIV Bridgestone Halftime Show, HD

The Who -- part 2 of 2 of the Super Bowl XLIV Bridgestone Halftime Show, HD

Here's a short conversation I had with EagleRock over AIM about an hour and a half ago:

DragonMaster368 4:37 pm
oh, something my dad said to me during the 1st quarter of the Super Bowl was "Maybe we'll get to see David Caruso."

EagleRock1337 4:44 pm
lol

DragonMaster368 4:45 pm
and to be honest, it would've been extremely fucking awesome!

EagleRock1337 4:46 pm
alien encounter during super bowl

DragonMaster368 4:46 pm
*drum and syth/guitar solo* + *one liner* + *sunglasses* = YYYYYEEEAAAAAAH!!!
lol

EagleRock1337 4:46 pm
Sounds like we... *sunglasses* have touch down
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

DragonMaster368 4:46 pm
damn right!

The Elite Guard Barracks

Sig by Byte | Steam ID -- SilentCobra | PS3 Gamer Tag -- SlntCobra1

Writers Lounge | EGB | PS3

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 09:17:21

That random poll about the NGPD has been going on for about a week, and I don't think anyone else is gonna reply to it, so I posted the results of the NGPD's poll in your thread, and vice versa.

Predictably, the EGB read the NGPD thread more often than NGPD'ers come here. However, there are a couple of people who don't really check it often enough to be of much use when flagging things. Even though they're supposed to be the "junior" crew, it doesn't mean there won't be stuff in there that the EGB hasn't found. I remember at least a dozen things I posted in the NGPD only, that the EGB didn't spot, back when I was in the club.

It always pays to read another thread. Especially if that thread is about more-or-less the same thing as this one. I'm glad most of you don't need telling this, but it's worth saying for as long as there are people who put significantly more value on either thread.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 09:46:53

Damn my fucking charger for my laptop has stopped working no warning then again it was being held together with tape LOL. That is about the third one or second I forget. Anyway I'm using another Mac because mine is dead till I get a new battery charger. Anyway I'm more careful about flagging then I used to be you are right about people saying its stolen in there comments. The author may say that to fool people. Still good idea to check for links and stuff before flagging. That ScaryMovie guy has stolen flashes before.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 11:28:25

At 2/17/10 06:36 AM, Coop83 wrote: A quick PM saying "Coop FFS, get on AIM >:(" Should do the trick there. Sometimes I just can't be arsed to load it, because you get 14 different conversations start straight away and 4 of them are "Wow, I'm talking to a mod!", while others range from helping people out, then closing the conversation repeatedly until they get the point that I don't care about what their cat did, all the way to the standard conversations with people that I actually have an interest in (This is where you guys come in)

That gave me a laugh..."Wow, I'm talking to a mod!" I'll be sure to say that every time we chat on AIM. :-P

At 2/17/10 03:17 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: Yea, I just figured this idiot's comments would be incriminating enough. Why should the Rule of Law only be applicable outside the net? Hell his comment is as good as a B&E (Breaking & Entering) confession as far as I'm concerned.

This is half true. They could in fact have permission to post it. That, as far as I know, is allowed. You have your point, but Ismael's the argument holds water, too. It's best to follow-up with some evidence, if possible. Of course, it got flagged, so both of you are really right, after all. :-)

At 2/17/10 05:47 PM, Fro wrote: I also haven't read it yet, but Eagle and I recently talked about the series and how I was going to be incorporated into them so I guess I'm kind of forced to read into them because everyone loves to have things written about themselves. :]

Of course. Still, the first story is fun as well (especially the later chapters, and also because it feeds the second story along). Naturally, you might not have the propensity to read a 60,000 word prequel to BITB. :-P

At 2/17/10 05:50 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: EagleRock1337 4:46 pm
Sounds like we... *sunglasses* have touch down
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Caruso formula of Epic One Liners never fails to entertain. :-P

At 2/18/10 09:17 AM, Sheizenhammer wrote: Predictably, the EGB read the NGPD thread more often than NGPD'ers come here. However, there are a couple of people who don't really check it often enough to be of much use when flagging things. Even though they're supposed to be the "junior" crew, it doesn't mean there won't be stuff in there that the EGB hasn't found. I remember at least a dozen things I posted in the NGPD only, that the EGB didn't spot, back when I was in the club.

I don't think anyone actually considers the NGPD any less capable of finding Portal violations. Rather, people just don't think to check the other thread. Personally, I come here initially to post/chat/lurk, and any reports I look at as they come. Similarly, if I'm not lurking the NGPD that day, it's not because I think their flaggings are "substandard," I am just not wont to lurk their thread on a daily basis, especially not enough to catch UJ Portal violations.

Either way, it's best to post in one place or the other, and just work towards having both clubs check for violations in both threads. I'm sure I could get into the groove of checking the NGPD, even for just a few seconds to see if there are any violations to report. Also, it's really the best way to do it, rather than Post+1-ing like Coop mentioned.

It always pays to read another thread. Especially if that thread is about more-or-less the same thing as this one. I'm glad most of you don't need telling this, but it's worth saying for as long as there are people who put significantly more value on either thread.

Well put. :-) Thanks for the input!

At 2/18/10 09:46 AM, phantomlassuk wrote: Damn my fucking charger for my laptop has stopped working no warning then again it was being held together with tape LOL. That is about the third one or second I forget. Anyway I'm using another Mac because mine is dead till I get a new battery charger.

I hate when that happens. I had a Dell that managed to go through three chargers before the soldering points for the power adapter plug finally broke on the motherboard. By then, it was 8 years old, so I said the hell with it. :-)

You'd think that by 2010 they could invent a charger that wouldn't break as easily. I actually just placed an order today for three chargers that employees broke out in the field. It's ridiculous.

Anyway I'm more careful about flagging then I used to be you are right about people saying its stolen in there comments. The author may say that to fool people. Still good idea to check for links and stuff before flagging. That ScaryMovie guy has stolen flashes before.

Leave it to our Portal Violations officer to put it best. :-)

Founder of the Elite Guard Barracks [ Thread ] [ Forums ] Sig by ByteSlinger

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 13:25:57

Bad news, guys, my laptop hard drive fried itself so I won't be able to visit the Portal as often as I have been. I'll still be on, just not frequently until I get this sorted out.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 15:40:51

Sorry to hear that dude. I've been wondering where the hell you've been.

Do you have any idea about how this happened? I'm pretty sure Byte & Eagle might have some clue, but I sure as hell don't.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 21:46:46

My laptop kept restarting without warning lately, and believing that it was nothing I just went along with it. I didn't have any viruses or other malicious content, so I just don't know at the moment.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 22:07:17

At 2/18/10 09:46 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote: My laptop kept restarting without warning lately, and believing that it was nothing I just went along with it. I didn't have any viruses or other malicious content, so I just don't know at the moment.

Sounds like a thermal issue - the mobo or cpu is getting too hot, and she's rebooting at random times. Try ti get some canned air and blow out as much dust as you can from the inside out. Does the bottom of your laptop get uncomfortably warm? It could also be the battery overheating.

After you spray out the dust, remove the battery pack and try running it on wall-power only. See if it lasts longer between boots. If it does, it's the battery overheating. If it make no difference, it could be thermal fade and failure.

What make & model is your laptop, and about how old is it? Let me know so i can research other possible failures (and fixed).

Good luck!
*Salutes*

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 22:30:55

Who here knows where I can get a cheap car?

I'm so desperate, I'll even ask you guys.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 22:44:28

At 2/18/10 10:07 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 2/18/10 09:46 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote:

Thanks for the advice, byte, and yeah it was getting warm often. The thing is, I took it apart one day and after I put it back together it started getting much warmer much faster than before I opened it up. I switched nothing around and changed no settings, but it still was never the same after that.

What make & model is your laptop, and about how old is it? Let me know so i can research other possible failures (and fixed).

It's a 2 year old Compaq Presario 4700.

Good luck!
*Salutes*

Thanks! *salutes*

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 22:45:05

At 2/18/10 10:30 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Who here knows where I can get a cheap car?

I'm so desperate, I'll even ask you guys.

Buy a '83 Yugo - I hear they're REALLY cheap.

Okay, bad Idea. I would look in Craig's List - search for cars in your city / county. But remember - you get what you pay for. What's your budget? Are you working? Car dealers are desperate - if you have a job and are over 18, you might find that you can lease a small car (Hyundai, Toyota, etc) for about $150 / month.

Hope this helps! ;)

Proud member of the EGB since 2006 |-EGB Forum-|-EGB Website-| Game and Movie Mod 2017

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-18 23:02:34

At 2/18/10 10:44 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote:
At 2/18/10 10:07 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 2/18/10 09:46 PM, MultiCanimefan wrote:
Thanks for the advice, byte, and yeah it was getting warm often. The thing is, I took it apart one day and after I put it back together it started getting much warmer much faster than before I opened it up. I switched nothing around and changed no settings, but it still was never the same after that.

Chances are when you disassembled it you didn't reconnect everything. It is possible you didn't reconnect a fan cable or something like that. Also, to make sure your hard drive is not actually failing, hold your ear close to where the hard drive is and listen for clicks. Regular clicking sounds indicate constant parking of the hard drive, which is a sign of imminent failure.

Best thing to do for now is to keep the machine running cool. If you have one readily available, a laptop chill pad works well. Short of that, just keep it off your lap or any soft surface like a sofa or a bed. You might need to re-disassemble the laptop and check connections to the cooling system.

It's a 2 year old Compaq Presario 4700.

I was looking for a disassembly manual for that model, but I haven't found anything. Are you sure that's the exact model? I've seen 8-year old 4700 laptops and a few 4700 desktops. if you have a full model number or something, it might point us in the right direction.

We'll figure this out one way or another. :-)

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-19 16:05:27

Just out of curiosity are the cooling fans on the bottom and the battery acts as an incline, so to speak, that all the heat escapes out the sides and up? That's what mine does. It's a DELL studio 1735.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-19 17:30:25

At 2/19/10 04:05 PM, SlntCobra1 wrote: Just out of curiosity are the cooling fans on the bottom and the battery acts as an incline, so to speak, that all the heat escapes out the sides and up? That's what mine does. It's a DELL studio 1735.

Well, usually, laptops are not dependent on a battery to create air flow. usually if a battery sticks out or causes a laptop to sit on an incline, it is because it is an oversized battery for extended life. Without an extension, 99% of the time the battery will sit flush with the rest of the chassis. In that case, fans that blow underneath the case are usually deflected out to the side via directional scoops. Also, a laptop usually has rubber feet that are designed to give the laptop enough standoff to provide a cooling space of air beneath the laptop.

Usually, two things will disrupt that necessary airflow: the rubber feet come off the bottom of the laptop, or someone sits the laptop down on a soft surface, such as a bed, a couch, or a pillow. In those situations, the laptop will easily overheat, as the laptop warms up the surface it is on which in turn makes the laptop run hotter. Additionally, bottom-venting fans have nowhere to push the hot air from the processor. All of this makes for a very toasty laptop, which usually trips the processor's thermal cutoff switch.

Luckily, most laptop manufacturers today use a side-venting CPU heatsink, which blows heat away from the CPU through the side or the back of the laptop, not the bottom. This is generally better, as even a laptop sitting on a bed has a method of pulling away the CPU heat.

Like I said before, his best course of action right now is to keep the laptop cool for the time being until we can figure out his exact model and see how we can get his machine running cooler. It could even be as simple as using canned air to blow dust out of his heatsink fins.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-19 21:42:44

Following up on this laptop discussion:

First, thank you, EagleRock, for adding some fine ideas and insight to mine. Good to know that we can tag-team these hardware issues from all sides. You do bring up some important points.

Now, I did some digging around, and I can't find any specifically reported problems for that Presario - no recalls or reported issues of known failures.

That being said, and after reading all of these posts, IMHO this is what I would do if it were my laptop:

1) Carefully re-open it and check all the connections. It's possible that the fan wires are loose and no longer working

2) Use canned air to blow all the dust and crud off all the heat sinks, vents and any place that the air would flow.

3) If possible, start the unit up while partially disassembled just to see if the fans spin. This way, if they don't, you'll know right away, and you can then order a replacement one ASAP

4) Once all the fans are verified and working, carefully re-assemble it - and then check the feet and the clearance underneath it. Right now, although I am sitting on my couch, my laptop is on a piece of finished laminate board (about 18" x 24") so that I don't block the vents.

5) If the laptop still overheats after that, I would recommend the Belkin Laptop cooling base - it fits units up to 17", and draws power from the USB port. It has two fans in the base, forcing air up into the laptop. I use one with (oddly enough) my own Compaq laptop - it does help quite a bit.

I know some of this had been bantered around before, but I figured I'd put this checklist together just to get a gameplan started.

So, grab that screwdriver and get to work. Hopefully, you'll have this fixed in no time!

Good luck!

*Salutes*

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-20 07:59:15

At 2/18/10 11:28 AM, EagleRock wrote: That gave me a laugh..."Wow, I'm talking to a mod!" I'll be sure to say that every time we chat on AIM. :-P

You''l get bored before I do :P

At 2/18/10 10:45 PM, byteslinger wrote:
At 2/18/10 10:30 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Who here knows where I can get a cheap car?
Buy a '83 Yugo - I hear they're REALLY cheap.

I have imagery of Dan Ackroyd sitting in a Yugo, as it gets rolled over in the film Dragnet going through my head. Classic.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-20 12:03:03

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-20 15:06:52

Good find Sir-Nuts. It's been flagged. Anyway, any y'all seen the "5 Hour Energy, 2:30pm" commercial? I feel like taking a nap by 2 at the earliest. Ugh, I am so not a morning person at all.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-20 16:48:31

At 2/18/10 10:45 PM, byteslinger wrote:
Hope this helps! ;)

Yeah, that's solid advice. If I don't do that, I might just keep borrowing my family's second car. It works alright.

As payment for your help Byte, I'm going to be Mr. Flintstone and make your bed rock!

The Elite Guard Barracks

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-20 20:53:49

I have now got a brand new charger and hopefully it will be okay touch wood its seems to be working but it was expensive. I'm now also signed up to XBox Live I have got a one months Gold account free trail not to bothered about going online on it though. I'm not for online gaming. But I may try it out its looks fun I guess. Don't get what the big deal with online gaming is. As for the ad I would not have seen it but I'm not from the US though. I got Fable the first game for XBox.

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-21 05:13:30

At 2/20/10 04:48 PM, puddinN64 wrote: As payment for your help Byte, I'm going to be Mr. Flintstone and make your bed rock!

Do you want me to ban you for that awful pun? Or do you just want to self impose an exile from the BBS for a day in shame?

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-21 13:18:02

At 2/21/10 05:13 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 2/20/10 04:48 PM, puddinN64 wrote: As payment for your help Byte, I'm going to be Mr. Flintstone and make your bed rock!
Do you want me to ban you for that awful pun? Or do you just want to self impose an exile from the BBS for a day in shame?

Nice one Coop. "Self impose an exile from the BBS for a day in shame." That should be a sig or something. Though I have no idea how I would make it look. Any ideas?

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-21 14:13:13

The latest update.

Also it's currently live until 6 P.M. eastern time so feel free to comment before it ends in almost 4 hours.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-21 14:25:28

Well, first off, you can't make a bed rock if all you have is pebbles and a small stick. Secondly, I wasn't even going to comment on that post, but since everyone else is, I figured I'd chime in. I appreciate the humor - but you really could have done better. Hopefully your skill at fixing your laptop exceeds your skill at the English language...hehehe...

Oh, and as for a sig - I threw together this one. Wear it in good health!

The Elite Guard Barracks

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-21 14:26:40

At 2/21/10 07:37 AM, Lizzardis wrote: Anywho... It's nice to actually finally post in here. No I haven't been banned, the fact being I've been on holiday from school for the past week and it's safe to say...

I just came back from vacation too, but I posted while I was gone so it's like I never left :D

I should say something, yet don't feel like I can mainly because I can't be bothered.

Bleh. So yeah... I'm still here... Just lurking and such. :)

Don't worry about that! After all, some of our members are much more inactive than you. Besides, we don't expect you to come here and post every single day, right? Sometimes we just don't feel like posting. Everyone gets bored after a while, and it's only a matter of time until you get motivated again.

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-21 14:32:55

I would absolutely love to see that ban. Reason for Ban: "Shitty puns"

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to The Elite Guard Barracks 2010-02-21 14:36:35

At 2/21/10 02:25 PM, byteslinger wrote: Oh, and as for a sig - I threw together this one. Wear it in good health!

ROFL!!! Oh Bytw, your sense of humor never ceases to amaze me. ^_^ I'm going to tell you the same thing I told Eagle, both y'all should drop the IT act and go into stand-up comedy. Y'all would make a killing!

BBS Signature