00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Arnahan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Getting a Drawing tablet thread

7,278 Views | 120 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 08:57:08

At 10/25/05 03:54 AM, Denvish wrote: I'm seriously considering getting a tablet. Is Wacom the only sensible option? What about ones like Trust, Medion or Aiptek?

i have a trust one and it works fine...
unfortunatley i hardly ever use it but i am going to start soonish
maybe after xmas...

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 16:44:18

oh damn, ive lost a lot in my own thread, let me check the questions

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 17:03:38

I am also looking to get a tablet. Right now I think I am probably going to get a Wacom Graphire 6x8 inch tablet from ebay.

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 17:15:51

At 10/25/05 06:24 AM, Denvish wrote: OK. Question. Is A6 big enough?
Smaller size with more features, or larger and not quite so smart?

Personal choise I'd say.

I didnt really get to choose my own size, (A5, classic wacom graphire 3) since i got it as a christmasgift. But it fits perfectly in my lap, and is quite in scale with my drawing-area irl. So im pleased.

And the small features dont make any scense to me. (I dont have any, but ahve tried a freinds tablet) Its just feels annoying that you accitendly slip over a button with the pen and change some setting by misstake, and you'll have to go back a nd change it back. Annoying.

But A6 sounds small. The area of the tablet will be your whole monitor you know.

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 17:24:37

At 10/25/05 05:15 PM, GuntherSwanh wrote: stuff

I always wanted to know what tablet you had...And i might change the A6 idea for A5. Better save up then :P

I know! I get it for Christmas!

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 17:35:06

At 10/25/05 05:24 PM, _Nick_ wrote:
I always wanted to know what tablet you had...

Why does everyone I've never heard about know who i am!
And on top of that, wondering wierd stuff about me!

._.

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 17:38:28

At 10/25/05 05:35 PM, GuntherSwanh wrote: Why does everyone I've never heard about know who i am!

._.

and who are you?

jk

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 17:40:05

At 10/25/05 05:35 PM, GuntherSwanh wrote:
Why does everyone I've never heard about know who i am!

._.

I am a skilled lurker of the Artist Showcase Thread, that's how :)

<useless fact> And i even used that png wallpaper you made! </useless fact>

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 18:01:38

ok, i have to start on graphires info

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-25 21:42:32

At 10/25/05 05:03 PM, FetusEater wrote: I am also looking to get a tablet. Right now I think I am probably going to get a Wacom Graphire 6x8 inch tablet from ebay.

get an intuos!!

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 00:16:11

well probably is good to have one and use it with a laptop , but like i smashed mine ill have to stick with my desktop pc, also the mouse can be pretty usefull

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 00:58:36

I have a Intuos3 6x8 and I love it. I wouldn't go any smaller that 6x8. I love me tablets <3

Also get an Intuos not a Graphire. Intuos have awesome buttons on the tablet (Graphire don't)

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 02:21:04

At 10/26/05 12:58 AM, Cojones893 wrote:
Also get an Intuos not a Graphire. Intuos have awesome buttons on the tablet (Graphire don't)

Why have some "awesome buttons" on the tablet? I cant see the purpose... Just that you'll accidently press them and screw everything up...

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 05:46:19

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 06:25:26

At 10/26/05 05:46 AM, krazed428657 wrote: what do you think of this http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index.cfm?

I think that to draw well with that, you would have to lay the screen flat on your desk. And I wouldn't be too keen on browsing the net like that.

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 06:51:39

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a brand new Graphire4 Classic XL A5
Tablet - Shop

Hope I don't live to regret it. Mind you, looking at the Wacom prices on eBay, I should be able to sell it for close to the buying price if I don't like it.

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 07:35:23

At 10/25/05 06:49 AM, -IceFire- wrote: Now that I've said larger is better, I suppose it's your preferences.. Bmk + friends think it's more comfortable with smaller tablets.
And apparently I'm a freak and put my tablet on the desk, instead of using it in your lap.
D: I doesnt want to be a freak. Dush anyone else put it on their desk? O_o

lol, i never put it in my lap, i thought it was meant to be put on the desk :P.

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 16:41:16

yay for denvish

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 17:37:50

At 10/25/05 03:18 AM, LuckyDesign wrote:
At 10/24/05 11:12 PM, Nelo-Angelo wrote:
At 10/24/05 08:41 PM, -TXR- wrote: i got a graphire 4x5 from ebay it works like a charm!

BTW good idea Saint.
hey how does the graphire work?, i dont think as smooth as intuos :P
OH YES IT IS! Its awsome, i got one aswell 2 days ago! :D Smooth and sexy, i can tilt, sencitivity's awsome :D

Lucky , did you buy one for the same reasopn i did ? , yes graphire is smooth but intuos is smoother INTUOS3 has the double sensitivity than a graphire tablet

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 19:37:33

At 10/26/05 05:46 PM, Hamslice wrote:
STUDENT DISCOUNTS!!! i got a 350 dollar tablet for 80 ;D

i envy you :P

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 21:31:02

So what do you do with these tablets? do you hook them in your comp and just act as as a seperate computer screen? Like does what you hand draw on the tablet show up directly on the flash?

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 22:29:13

Wacom Graphire3 4 x 5 USB Tablet - Is this a good tablet to use for animation and web design? Its a pretty good price I'm just wondering if its worth it.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-26 23:11:46

At 10/26/05 09:31 PM, smallydude wrote: So what do you do with these tablets? do you hook them in your comp and just act as as a seperate computer screen? Like does what you hand draw on the tablet show up directly on the flash?

no, you have to look at the screen

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-27 06:19:02

Well. My tablet arrived this morning, and I have to say it's quite fun.

It's the Graphire4 XL (A5)
First impressions: It's very thin. For some reason, I expected it to be deeper, but it's about 1cm at the front edge, up to about 1.5 cm at its thickest. The pen is light, with a rubber grip, and two buttons on the side.

Installation: Very easy, just installed drivers and started using it. No need for even a reboot.

Customisation: Pretty easy. I have the two pen buttons set to CTRL+Z (undo) and F6 (new keyframe), I haven't done anything with the actual pad buttons or scrollwheel yet.

Use: The weirdest thing is the fact that you have to move your hand a fair distance to go across the screen. I have my mouse set on high speed, so it only requires about 3.5 inches of movement, whereas the tablet requires you to move the full width of the active area (8 inches in the case of this tablet).
Apart from that, it's fairly straightforward. Lift the pen slightly to move without drawing, put it on the pad to draw. In Flash, two new options have appeared under the brush menu, PRESSURE and TILT. Pressure means basically that your lines will get thicker and thinner as you stroke and press, which gives a much more realistic style. I didn't enable tilt, but I assume it does a similar thing depending on the angle of pen to tablet.

People (myself included) assume that the tablet is there JUST for drawing, but it would actually be entirely possible to use the pen & tablet to completely replace your mouse - ie, use just the tablet for all navigation of your PC. Personally, I prefer to use the mouse for non-drawing, but the option is there.

In terms of drawing, getting the feel of the amount of pressure to apply takes a few minutes, but from there it's pretty natural. I daresay it'll take a while to master - I spent about 40 minutes drawing this tree (as you can see, I'm not the best ever artist...)

All in all, a good buy, I reckon I'll be using this a fair amount in Flash.

BBS Signature

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-27 06:27:10

They say you can judge a man by the size of their tablet, bad luck if u have a 4x4...

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-27 06:38:34

At 10/27/05 06:27 AM, FlashStation wrote: They say you can judge a man by the size of their tablet, bad luck if u have a 4x4...

lol, I have big feet, and you know what they say about men with big feet - BIG SOCKS!

I got the A5 (~8x6") tablet, but in some ways, I think an A6 (~5.5x4") would have actually suited me better - less distance to move.

A bit more info: The whole tablet (including sides) is covered with a sturdy clear plastic cover, which can be removed to place an image underneath for tracing.
Here's a shot to emphasise how thin the tablet is. That's an AA battery.

BBS Signature

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-27 06:45:29

At 10/25/05 03:18 AM, LuckyDesign wrote: OH YES IT IS! Its awsome, i got one aswell 2 days ago! :D Smooth and sexy, i can tilt, sencitivity's awsome :D

Yeh what does tilt do? lol. I put that option on in flash and nothing different happens...

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-27 06:48:46

Final image, I put the DVD there so you can get a better idea of the tablet size. Humour me =)

BBS Signature

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-27 06:57:33

Ahhhh I had one similer to yours denvish. But long behold, At night It had feet of it's own, leading into unwanted places. Usually at the top of the staircase (my name :D) well. One night my sister went too the loo and stepped all over the bastard, and it broke. I've been trying too squash the money out of her but.... obviously she won't.

Murad136, heres your fucking credit ;3

BBS Signature

Response to Getting a Drawing tablet thread 2005-10-27 10:39:26

At 10/27/05 06:48 AM, Denvish wrote: Final image, I put the DVD there so you can get a better idea of the tablet size. Humour me =)

Classic one , very nice !!!!