00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Vaittus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Genres that haven't been invented..

3,181 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I know that most of you want to be a professional musician and want to be remembered for your unique sound... but "what's that sound" you may ask? I'm not the one to ask, it's your choice... I mean, there is no right or wrong way of playing but there is a certain 'category' that everybody must fit under... rock, rap, country, WHATEVER! All I'm saying is that you should find a sound that best suits you and go along with it...

Now to the point... I'm into Progressive Rock like Rush, Queen, Yes, etc... And I'm thinking of starting aband (when I'm older) that will be different that from any other artist... I want to be a band that will be the 'pioneers' of new (and not so new) genres like "Progressive/Rap", "Rock/Rap", "Progressive/Rock", etc...

Now I ask you, what genre(s) would you like to create?

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-05 18:07:51

congrats for creating such a creative topic!
u ever heard of the magical search-bar?

Wakka wakka

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-05 18:20:29

At 10/5/05 06:07 PM, Rucklo wrote: congrats for creating such a creative topic!
u ever heard of the magical search-bar?

actually yeah I have and there was like only one other topic similar to this so ya got nothin' on me

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-05 18:22:57

*sigh

this has been done a couple of times before, yeah...
sry man, just sick n tired of the whole af crap. it repeats itself every day when new ppl jumps in the forum, and never any mods here. allmost. actually, for a while there was no mods here, until the day myself and some other fellow ng´ers made a spam-effort :)
And busted ourselves.
Crazy, huh? ULULULULULUL käften gå å dör cpskadade apskaftshjärna.

Wakka wakka

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-05 18:35:23

honestly, I understand, I just thought this was an original topic...

people, can we now get to the topic at hand, please?

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-05 18:44:20

progressive power techno!

SERVING THE CAUSE

BBS Signature

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-05 20:11:38

Progressive Country
Progressive Jazz
Progressive Blues
Progressive Latin
Progressive Pop

and so on...

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-05 20:50:10

I don't know, from this point in you'll only see revisions and categorizations of Genres and Sub-Genres, considering anything I want to make will just go under "IDM", but it'll still be original in it's own sense.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 02:34:35

At 10/6/05 12:43 AM, GoreBastard wrote:
At 10/5/05 06:22 PM, Rucklo wrote: *sigh
Hey Rucklo, suck my golden piss stream...

Sounds like that should be a genre indeed...

Wakka wakka

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 03:26:31

Progressive Country...

ugh

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 03:34:47

Well, i know what i would do if i had absolute power to make and sort my own genres.
How about this

Genres that haven't been invented..

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 04:16:03

At 10/5/05 08:50 PM, Erkie wrote: I don't know, from this point in you'll only see revisions and categorizations of Genres and Sub-Genres, considering anything I want to make will just go under "IDM", but it'll still be original in it's own sense.

Yeah, it really seems like all of the genres of music have been pretty well covered. I can't really think of a type of music that hasn't been classified or "Sub'd" in.

I'm waiting for a group of artists to take full advantage of all the possibilities of all these tracks in the studio. 80 track mixers and all this shit man..It's insane. SURROUND SOUND!. Record your instruments in the studio and then create PATHS (yes, paths on a linear graph" for each instrument and each speaker. Man.. Have violins pan in CIRCLES all over the place to make it feel like they're flying over your head...Wow. I can't wait to do that!!! I just can't fucking wait for all this cookie cutter shit to fade away. When are radio stations going to give up and be replaced with commercial free, user defined music on satellite or whatever? When is everyone going to control what we listen to? Fucking media.....I don't know about you guys but I really hate turning the radio on and hearing the same song I heard 10 minutes ago. Am I the only one out there who hates that?!? Yes, I understand it's a great song, but what about all the other songs out there that noone has really heard? There is so much music that is out there..Like Garage band and stuff, music made in our garages and the like..When is the "being in right place at the right time" thing talk about making it into the music buisness going to fade away and enable music to be easily discovered and listened to anyone who is willing to hear?

I'm not too sure about genres that havn't been invented. It's like that guy in the patent buisness in the late 1800s who claimed that everything has been invented.

I think something will branch off of Indie Rock. Modest Mouse, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs..something with really intense electronics.

I know one thing for sure; There is going to be a band out there that totally takes advantage of 5.1 surround sound, digital audio editing, a 92,873,498,234 track mixer and all that stuff! Everything...completely mixing it up. Having all kinds of different styles into their music; fully utilizing the capabilities of everything that can be achieved in the studio nowadays..Plug Ins, VSTs, I mean...everything. Some band is going to totally kick our asses with so many elements and instruments into one song that we are going to be totally blown away. .....Do I talk too much?

-Jon

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 06:30:36

At 10/6/05 04:16 AM, JonH2O wrote:
At 10/5/05 08:50 PM, Erkie wrote: I don't know, from this point in you'll only see revisions and categorizations of Genres and Sub-Genres, considering anything I want to make will just go under "IDM", but it'll still be original in it's own sense.

I know one thing for sure; There is going to be a band out there that totally takes advantage of 5.1 surround sound, digital audio editing, a 92,873,498,234 track mixer and all that stuff! Everything...completely mixing it up. Having all kinds of different styles into their music; fully utilizing the capabilities of everything that can be achieved in the studio nowadays..Plug Ins, VSTs, I mean...everything. Some band is going to totally kick our asses with so many elements and instruments into one song that we are going to be totally blown away. .....Do I talk too much?

-Jon

The Mars Volta and Shpongle :)

I know you know about Shpongle John, but check out Mars Volta if you haven't already... very weird progressive stuff with lots of "swirling" and tons of things going on that you won't be able to consume it all in one sitting

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 10:52:44

At 10/6/05 03:34 AM, Khuskan wrote: Well, i know what i would do if i had absolute power to make and sort my own genres.
How about this

LOL@NOOBATTEMPTS!!!! :D

Wakka wakka

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 12:13:09

Emo-Hophop-core-Trash Metal 'n' bass
Bwahahaa

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 12:19:03

Well ,good luck on your band , but please , leave the music making to us , everyone is unique already !

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 13:41:16

Hmmm...Comedy Metal.

No wait, GazMetal's done that...

Hmmm...

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-06 16:47:39

At 10/6/05 04:16 AM, JonH2O wrote: I'm waiting for a group of artists to take full advantage of all the possibilities of all these tracks in the studio. 80 track mixers and all this shit man..It's insane. SURROUND SOUND!. Record your instruments in the studio and then create PATHS (yes, paths on a linear graph" for each instrument and each speaker. Man.. Have violins pan in CIRCLES all over the place to make it feel like they're flying over your head...Wow. I can't wait to do that!!!

I've got a 3d audio positioning mechanism, I haven't used it yet, I'm scared of it, but taking advantage of audio positioning like that makes me pee in my pants, it decreases the crud by 40% so you can keep going.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-07 02:59:47

I would invent a cross-over myself, like Trance-Rap or Techno-Ska, but if I had to get creative, I would make a combination af String Quartet, DnB Drums, Some Techno Bass and an RnB melody.
That's sounding a pretty-pretty goood. I'm gonna do that!

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-07 03:28:23

At 10/7/05 02:59 AM, Jhalkompwdr wrote: but if I had to get creative, I would make a combination af String Quartet, DnB Drums, Some Techno Bass and an RnB melody.

It's called trance.

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-07 09:31:43

At 10/6/05 04:16 AM, JonH2O wrote: I know one thing for sure; There is going to be a band out there that totally takes advantage of 5.1 surround sound, digital audio editing, a 92,873,498,234 track mixer and all that stuff! Everything...completely mixing it up. Having all kinds of different styles into their music; fully utilizing the capabilities of everything that can be achieved in the studio nowadays..Plug Ins, VSTs, I mean...everything. Some band is going to totally kick our asses with so many elements and instruments into one song that we are going to be totally blown away. .....Do I talk too much?

-Jon

Pig Destroyer have done that. I think they mixed a 20 minute recording to DVDA (Digital Versatile Disc Audio...not Double Vaginal Double Anal :P) in 5.1 surround sound. That's cool and all, except you can only play the media on a DVD system. It's pretty much incompatible with older stereo systems. Which is why surround sound audio won't take off for a long time. Even then, I can't really see the advantages, except for full on experimental IDM artists =).

I think having access to all this advanced technology is dangerous in the sense of traditional music. Artists are going to rely more on what effects they can put onto their tracks rather than actually writing a song that sounds good. Having 80 separate tracks of audio and panning them from 'back left' to 'front right' is all good and well, but if your song sucks, then what's the point?

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-07 09:53:03

Drum'n'Bass Jazz!

I HAS MYSPACES

__^^ check it ^^__

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-07 09:58:51

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html

If you've only mixed two genres together, its already been done.

I've also heard thrash metal x jazz recently,

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-07 15:21:55

At 10/6/05 06:30 AM, AdmiralConquistador wrote:

The Mars Volta and Shpongle :)

I know you know about Shpongle John, but check out Mars Volta if you haven't already... very weird progressive stuff with lots of "swirling" and tons of things going on that you won't be able to consume it all in one sitting

Sweet, I've listened to "At the Drive-In" back when they had a music video playing on MTV (I heard somewhere some ATDI members went to mars volta), but I can't put my finger on whether I've heard the new outcome or not... I have heard them before, just can't remember their music. *Downloads*

I can't get enough of Shpongle....haha.

Audio | Alter | It sounds like a fire hydrant went off in an old folks home with screaming babies field recorded, glitched, and spontaneously played back.

BBS Signature

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-08 06:00:25

You guys want to know a new genre of music?

ANDY MILINAKIS RAPPING.

Let me give you a couple quotes from this article.

"It won't be 'some hokey, gimmicky comedy CD" he promises. "I'm actually gonna do an album soon, yeah..It's gonna be comedy, the lyrics are all gonna be really wacky and comedic, but we're gonna get real hip-hop producers and try to make it sound like a real hip-hop CD."

You want a new genre of music? Here it is! Andy ahs jsut begun the next big trend in the music indrustry....Comedic awesomeness.

Man you guys, I jsut saw the new movie that he was in "Waiting", and during the credits at the end of the movie it had him rapping. IT WAS THE GREATEST MUSICAL EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE.

.....It was so funny....and had the best beat ever.....so awesome you guys....so awesome....

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-08 06:01:49

At 10/8/05 06:00 AM, Laiderdaiv wrote: You guys want to know a new genre of music?

ANDY MILINAKIS RAPPING.

Edit: Andy Milonakis**

I was excited..

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-12 04:42:53

He's fat.

BBS Signature

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-12 10:08:21

Easy Listening Grindcore
Gothic Reggae
Orchestral Hardcore Punk
Japanese Ambient Folk Rock Rapcore Synthpop

I'd like to see these genres appear, although I'm sure some obscure band have attempted all of these styles.

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-12 10:09:30

At 10/7/05 09:53 AM, Techno_7 wrote: Drum'n'Bass Jazz!

Squarepusher!

Response to Genres that haven't been invented.. 2005-10-12 11:12:17

Black Reagge.
Black Soul.
Piss-Ophera, where they piss different amounts in different sized glass to get different sounds. And sscream meanwhile (sing).

Wakka wakka