00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

0ct0p0d3s just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Ng Gym

126,509 Views | 2,009 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-10 20:33:03

At 9/10/08 08:20 PM, NEVR wrote: Nobody said 'no', so I don't see any reason why not. I didn't really ask to join, just started posting here. As long as you have something to contribute then it's usually all good IMO.

Alright, fair enough.

Well, I guess it's worth noting that today blows for me. I had soccer practice for school today, which, on Wednesdays, is fitness. (yay) Anyway, I also have soccer practice for my club only a few hours later. So I'm dead tired after the second one.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-11 12:53:48

Do you guys do any strength training during the week? I'm just curious, I mean for sure a soccer player could at lest benefit from some leg work.

Where the ears are deaf, and tongues too dry, where the arms don't hold, and seeing eyes go blind

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-12 00:19:36

At 9/11/08 12:53 PM, DrForeman wrote: Do you guys do any strength training during the week? I'm just curious, I mean for sure a soccer player could at lest benefit from some leg work.

Nah, we usually just do running drills and stuff like that. I mean,leg strength is important in soccer, but endurance and speed are more important. Being able to squat more won't necessarily help your game. But you do need to have some upper body strength, to be able to push the other guy off the ball, and especially since soccer is really physical...

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-12 10:22:14

At 9/11/08 12:53 PM, DrForeman wrote: Do you guys do any strength training during the week? I'm just curious, I mean for sure a soccer player could at lest benefit from some leg work.

I often to weights, but usually only for my upper body.

Best way to improve strength is to alter the technique you employ whilst doing each rep. Instead of just lifting and lowering: try lifting very fast, then lowering very slowly, and repeating. It gets pretty damn hard but will do wonders.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-12 10:30:41

I'm a soccer player and I do strength training.
I just do my upper body, I train my lower body by running on the threadmill.
Upper body strenght helps me alot while playing soccer.

Foolish are those who fear nothing, yet claim to know everything..

Brawl FC: 0903 - 4175 - 3638

Newgrounds Photoshop Headquarters because I love Photoshop =3

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-13 00:45:37

At 9/12/08 10:22 AM, NEVR wrote: I often to weights, but usually only for my upper body.

I can only assume by you saying this that you already work your legs in another manner right?

Best way to improve strength is to alter the technique you employ whilst doing each rep. Instead of just lifting and lowering: try lifting very fast, then lowering very slowly, and repeating. It gets pretty damn hard but will do wonders.

Aye, I'm not sure if you know but the speed in which you lifts weights is called TEMPO, just like in the music world.

Now a bit of information about that, I assume that some of you already know this stuff... but fuck it some of you might not and I think it's good knowledge to have.

Most workouts(or good ones if you're not doing a workout program that mentions tempo I'd toss it... if it seems like a good workout learn a bit about tempo and add it in yourself) have temp set up of something like this.

311 or sometimes if it's the start of the program and they want you to work on proper form and building enderance in the muscle it might be something like 636.

The rest number is the seed in seconds in which you lower the weight. Why? I believe I read because most exercises involve you lowering the weight first for example the bench press.

The second number is the amount of pause in seconds you take before lifting the weight again.

And the last number is, you guessed it is the speed in which you actually lift the weight itself.

To put it all into prospective by example of using the Bench Press as an example.

3 seconds to lower the bar, pause for 1 second right on or right above your chest or whatever depending on the variation of bench you are doing, then take 1 second to lift the weight back up.

Another important thing to remember when dealing with a tempo of something like 311 is that you don't need to lift the weight in 1 second if your dealing with heavier weights, but you must be TRYING to lift the weight in 1 second. It takes just as much muscle fibers to try and lift a heavy weight quick as it does to actually lift it.

On a side note the real reason I came to post was to tell you guys that you should really read up on any articles by Christian Thibaudeau. I've been reading his stuff since I started working out and the man is a genius.

Where the ears are deaf, and tongues too dry, where the arms don't hold, and seeing eyes go blind

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-13 02:17:53

For some reason, I can never type anything error free. I fucking need an editor to read over my posts.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-16 00:08:37

Just wondering.. how many of you guys are taking Fish Oils? Because if your not, you should be.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-16 00:14:10

At 9/16/08 12:08 AM, DrForeman wrote: Just wondering.. how many of you guys are taking Fish Oils? Because if your not, you should be.

Do we really need to be at 16? I mean, what exactly would it do? My dad takes it, but I think it's for cholesterol or something.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-16 16:51:03

At 9/16/08 12:14 AM, jew193 wrote:
At 9/16/08 12:08 AM, DrForeman wrote: Just wondering.. how many of you guys are taking Fish Oils? Because if your not, you should be.
Do we really need to be at 16? I mean, what exactly would it do? My dad takes it, but I think it's for cholesterol or something.

I would be, the omega 3 fatty acids that you get out of them are really important to a healthy diet.

I currently take,Flameout because it's got twice as cosintrated as other fish oils, not to mention pretty cheap.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-16 22:30:11

At 9/16/08 04:51 PM, DrForeman wrote: I would be, the omega 3 fatty acids that you get out of them are really important to a healthy diet.

I don't eat healthy anyway though...

I currently take,Flameout because it's got twice as cosintrated as other fish oils, not to mention pretty cheap.

So, I didn't read the whole article, but will taking that concentrated dose of fish oils prevent you from getting sore after a hard workout?

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-17 22:00:20

At 9/16/08 10:30 PM, jew193 wrote:
At 9/16/08 04:51 PM, DrForeman wrote: I would be, the omega 3 fatty acids that you get out of them are really important to a healthy diet.
I don't eat healthy anyway though...

>:(

So, I didn't read the whole article, but will taking that concentrated dose of fish oils prevent you from getting sore after a hard workout?

Pretty much any positive change to your nutrition will aid in your post-workout recovery. I mean it 's not going to make dramatic changes(It might reduce some soreness) but it's really good for you.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-17 22:04:10

Probably should have at lest mentioned above that it's the best way to increase insulin sensitivity, meaning more of the nutrients of what you eat goes to your muscles instead of your fat cells resulting in you guessed it.

Bigger gains in Strength and Muscle.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-18 00:26:50

At 9/17/08 10:04 PM, DrForeman wrote: Probably should have at lest mentioned above that it's the best way to increase insulin sensitivity, meaning more of the nutrients of what you eat goes to your muscles instead of your fat cells resulting in you guessed it.

Bigger gains in Strength and Muscle.

Eh, as a soccer player, especially with my body type, I'd rather have lean muscle and have endurance than be some ripped roid monkey. Speed is also important.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-18 09:12:34

At 9/16/08 10:30 PM, jew193 wrote: I don't eat healthy anyway though...

At a younger age that's probably not such a big deal. As you get older though, you'll need to start eating more healthily. It's easy to underestimate how detrimental an unhealthy diet can be for your fitness levels. I personally try to eat as healthily as possible, but I don't go hardcore with that -- there's no harm in indulging every so often, but stuff like pizza, burgers, and soda especially is terrible, and can completely negate a whole run.

At 9/17/08 10:00 PM, DrForeman wrote: Pretty much any positive change to your nutrition will aid in your post-workout recovery. I mean it 's not going to make dramatic changes(It might reduce some soreness) but it's really good for you.

Fish oil is also good for the brain, isn't it? I hear it helps with concentration and stuff like that. I should really take that stuff more TBH.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-18 13:17:01

I'm not exactly sure if it's good for the brain or not, might be something I should look up. If it's true that's one more good thing to add to the name of fish oils :)

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-18 21:12:45

At 9/18/08 09:12 AM, NEVR wrote: At a younger age that's probably not such a big deal. As you get older though, you'll need to start eating more healthily. It's easy to underestimate how detrimental an unhealthy diet can be for your fitness levels. I personally try to eat as healthily as possible, but I don't go hardcore with that -- there's no harm in indulging every so often, but stuff like pizza, burgers, and soda especially is terrible, and can completely negate a whole run.

Yeah, but I never drink soda, and I work out almost everyday, so I figure that whatever I eat shouldn't mess me up too bad. I understand that in the future I might have to eat in a more healthy manner, but right now isn't the future is it? So when the time comes, I'll do what I have to, but until then... I'll do whatever works.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-22 20:19:43

Think of it this way, if you start now its just one less thing you need to worry about getting used to in the future.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-23 21:08:58

At 9/22/08 08:19 PM, DrForeman wrote: Think of it this way, if you start now its just one less thing you need to worry about getting used to in the future.

Yeha, but that's like telling me to start taking cholesterol medicine now, just because I'll probably need it in the future. I don't need it now, it's probably too expensive, and I'm waaaaay too lazy to go buy some however often it would run out on me.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-23 21:38:06

Hey guys. Noticed this group and checked it out, and so far i like it. I personally work out to improve my body and to hold my own. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys know any techniques to improve your lower abs. I'll check in every so often :)

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-24 04:46:39

At 9/23/08 09:08 PM, jew193 wrote: Yeha, but that's like telling me to start taking cholesterol medicine now, just because I'll probably need it in the future.

Not quite. That's something that develops or manifests over time, whereas fitness is something that's always there; that you have to maintain. Still, you're young, and most people your age don't give a shit about exercise at all, so I suppose you're already ahead of many in that respect.

Still, every little helps, and it'll be easier later on if you slowly ease yourself into a slightly more healthy diet now.

At 9/23/08 09:38 PM, diablo8979 wrote: I was wondering if you guys know any techniques to improve your lower abs.

Apart from sit-up twists, I don't do a hell of a lot of work on my abs (other than what I need to to stay in shape). If you have any weights, you can hold one to your chest whilst doing sit-ups as well for a more intense workout.

Also, this might help you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-24 18:31:07

Thin tummy is a good one, I'm pretty sure modified v-up also work the lower abs, so do bent leg knee ups, and just normal knee ups.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-24 20:12:41

so in my school they had to move my gym class, and now im all alone in the gym once a week for 2 hours (i can go whenever i want also) no teacher or anything, and i dont really know how to work my "bod". and so i just dont waste my gym time on the treadmill looking like ur average treadmiller.

anyone tips and/or program for me to build up my muscles?

(y)

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-24 22:19:12

At 9/24/08 08:12 PM, whalecum wrote: anyone tips and/or program for me to build up my muscles?

for general strength you only really need three different workouts. bench press, squats, and power cleans. if you only choose three different workouts then those should be it.

you should find someone who knows how to do them properly and learn from them. never workout the same muscles two days in a row (two days rest is recommended) and eat a lot of protein immediately after each workout.

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.

PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-25 08:46:54

Heh, alcohol is so very detrimental to fitness levels. The past few days have been hell on my fitness regime -- but I'm at university so meh.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-25 09:59:48

At 9/25/08 08:46 AM, NEVR wrote: Heh, alcohol is so very detrimental to fitness levels. The past few days have been hell on my fitness regime -- but I'm at university so meh.

Do you have a good gym there?

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-25 14:27:22

At 9/25/08 09:59 AM, jew193 wrote: Do you have a good gym there?

Yeah, it's supposedly one of the best of the London universities' gyms. I've heard it's going to be used as one of the training centres for the 2012 olympics.

BBS Signature

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-29 00:13:18

Mr. Olympia

10. Gustavo Badell
9. Moe Elmoussawi
8. Dennis James
7. Silvio Samuel
6. Melvin Anthony
5. Toney Freeeman
4. Dennis Wolf
3. Phil Heath
2. Jay Cutler
1. Dexter Jackson

Fuck yeah Dex.

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-29 01:34:35

At 9/25/08 02:27 PM, NEVR wrote:
At 9/25/08 09:59 AM, jew193 wrote: Do you have a good gym there?
Yeah, it's supposedly one of the best of the London universities' gyms. I've heard it's going to be used as one of the training centres for the 2012 olympics.

Really? Wow. that's pretty cool. I'm guessing you still won't be going there by 2012, right? Otherwise I would pretend to go to the gym unknowingly and meet all those Olympians.

Not really, that obviously wouldn't work, but it'd still be cool

Response to The Ng Gym 2008-09-29 04:36:01

At 9/29/08 01:34 AM, jew193 wrote: Really? Wow. that's pretty cool. I'm guessing you still won't be going there by 2012, right? Otherwise I would pretend to go to the gym unknowingly and meet all those Olympians.

I might be there in 2012 if I convert my course to Law next year. Otherwise I'll be finishing in 2011.

BBS Signature