New Topic Respond to this Topic
defegistor
defegistor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-18 17:50:46 Reply

Bear in mind FL Studio only works on Windows and Garageband only works on Mac.

FL Studio is an excellent choice for Windows, since it is both capable and easy to learn. It has a fully functional demo, so try it out.

If you have a Mac, you might want to look beyond Garageband. It is possible to make music properly with Garageband, but you might get more out of Reason, Cubase, or Ableton Live.

ganon95
ganon95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-23 22:51:57 Reply

im gonna try to explain this as best i can.

on 2 song projects i have on FL9 the song will suddenly and randomly freeze while the song is playing, it will repeat a 1/2 second of the song over and over and will eventually say "this program is not responding" and i have to close FL to reload the song.

it only seems to do this on certain sections of the song, but others it works fine. and its only 2 song files that ive had this problem with. any idea what i can do to fix this?

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-23 23:37:15 Reply

At 12/23/10 10:51 PM, ganon95 wrote: im gonna try to explain this as best i can.

on 2 song projects i have on FL9 the song will suddenly and randomly freeze while the song is playing, it will repeat a 1/2 second of the song over and over and will eventually say "this program is not responding" and i have to close FL to reload the song.

it only seems to do this on certain sections of the song, but others it works fine. and its only 2 song files that ive had this problem with. any idea what i can do to fix this?

It sounds like it's related to memory. There are a few things you can do to improve this. First and foremost, if your computer has more then 2gigs of RAM, make sure to go into your program files and use the extended memory version of fl studio (it will say extended memory in parenthesis).

Next thing to do is to optimize your audio settings with the proper CPU settings. Load up FL Studio and go into Options>>Audio Settings. In the 'Mixer' part of the audio settings, make sure that 'Reset plugins on transport' is turned off, and make sure that your resampling is set to linear or 6-point (preferibly linear).

If you have a dual or quad core CPU, also make sure to turn on both the multithread processing. If that is already on, then actually turn it off, because multithread processing can actually make some plugins glitch which is a very small possibility of what problem you are getting.

Last but not least, to help your audio driver process more smoothly and quicker, make sure you are using the ASIO4ALL driver or any other ASIO drivers.

Getting that all up to date should significantly help your set up and reduce crashes. I

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-24 15:46:10 Reply

Real quick,
in general(for a better stereo surround) do you put delay or a stereo enhancer first in your mixer track? (i know reverb usually goes before each of those).

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-24 18:14:28 Reply

At 12/24/10 03:46 PM, jpbear wrote: Real quick,
in general(for a better stereo surround) do you put delay or a stereo enhancer first in your mixer track? (i know reverb usually goes before each of those).

There isnt really rules with effects like that when it comes to signal chains. Its really just about the desired end product.

Think about it this way:

Pretend that everytime you add an effect, you record the output, and then put that recording onto a different mixer channel to add another effect. Basically thats how the order works, and in your case, if you delay after a stereo enhancer, then the delayed notes will not have the stereo enhancement per se...if thats the effect you want then go for it.

Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-24 22:14:43 Reply

If you want delayed stereo-enhanced source signal put the delay second, if you want stereo-enhanced delayed source signal put the delay first.

I'd imagine putting the stereo-enhancer last would have the most pronounced effect since it wouldn't be hidden under layers of other effects.

Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-26 12:35:04 Reply

I've often experienced a problem with that when attempting to use ASIO4ALL, as it gets angry when you run any application that uses sound besides FL Studio simultaneously and stops working until you muck about with it.

Perhaps that's not it, though.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-26 12:37:25 Reply

At 12/26/10 11:34 AM, Skeepsis wrote: There's probably a simple solution to this. The problem is that the sound in my FL Studio has muted and I don't know why.

Master out volume up?
Mix Master out?
Mix channels muted?
Master channel muted?
Instrument channels muted?
Any EQ/filters on master cutting all volume?
Any peak controlers with the mute setting still turned on?
Checked your sound card options?
Checked the mixers output settings?
Speakers working for other software?

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-26 17:09:23 Reply

Quick question.

How do you change the default soundfont player in FL Studio?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-26 17:38:22 Reply

At 12/26/10 05:09 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Quick question.

How do you change the default soundfont player in FL Studio?

You dont. You open the soundfont player you want to use first, then you load it from there

darthduba
darthduba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-26 19:14:10 Reply

When I'm working on a project I usually get stuck at the point where FL starts making crackling noises an I become unable of continueing. This usually happens when I have created multiple instruments in sytrus, or layer several instruments with reeverb on it.

Does it have something to do with CPU ? Is there any way to prevent this from happening ?

Duba

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-26 19:21:10 Reply

At 12/26/10 07:14 PM, darthduba wrote: When I'm working on a project I usually get stuck at the point where FL starts making crackling noises an I become unable of continueing. This usually happens when I have created multiple instruments in sytrus, or layer several instruments with reeverb on it.

Does it have something to do with CPU ? Is there any way to prevent this from happening ?

Duba

yea sounds like cpu stuff

up your buffer rate, try using triple buffer option if you are using 9.7 beta. make sure you are using multithreading if your using dual core cpu or more.

defegistor
defegistor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-26 21:24:27 Reply

At 12/26/10 07:14 PM, darthduba wrote: When I'm working on a project I usually get stuck at the point where FL starts making crackling noises an I become unable of continueing. This usually happens when I have created multiple instruments in sytrus, or layer several instruments with reeverb on it.

Duba

If you aren't already, use an ASIO driver. (In the FL Studio audio settings, click "Primary Sound Driver" and select ASIO4ALL from the list that appears.)

ganon95
ganon95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-27 00:24:19 Reply

hiya, im looking for instruction on how to automate something

the effect im trying to automate is the "fade out" effect, an example of it is in this song, the drum beat fades out at 3:30

• [v150r - lifeform VIP]
    [v150r - lifeform VIP] by v150r

Click to listen.

Score
    4.36 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Drum N Bass
    Popularity

i don't think its filtering, i know how to do that, filtering sounds different

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-27 00:36:41 Reply

At 12/27/10 12:24 AM, ganon95 wrote: hiya, im looking for instruction on how to automate something

the effect im trying to automate is the "fade out" effect, an example of it is in this song, the drum beat fades out at 3:30
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 64594

sounds like hes just lowering the highs/high mids in an eq, maybe a little bass boost on the drums then volume lower.

1) route all your drum mixer tracks into one track on your mixer
2) put a parametric eq(i prefer fruity 2)
3) move the 7th band point deal to midway on the line
4) right click on the far right band level(7), and click automate,
5) and go from 50% down to 0% gradually

i re listened to it and he probably also boosts a band level(by automation), then automates the frequency level downards onthe drum mixer track to get that sweeping down kinda sound.

hope ya can understand that ;)

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-27 00:41:41 Reply

Duba

its inevitable(apart from getting a better soundcard/computer of course), but when over tweaking/creating synths by hand on sytrus you get MASSIVE cpu usage, as in pretty much dont create your own synths or dont tweak much from presets. But thats probably cause i dont know how to synthesize that well. Also the unison chorus feature on the main panel in sytrus boosts cpu MAJORLY so try to avoid that. I love sytrus but i hate the cpu load.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-27 02:41:29 Reply

At 12/27/10 12:24 AM, ganon95 wrote: hiya, im looking for instruction on how to automate something

Sounds like filtering. Compress before and after to maintain a volume level output that doesn't deflate. The EQ example Jpbear gives is pretty much what the filters doing anyways without as visual an interface. Play with the knee/cut off curve for desired effect.

BBS Signature
darthduba
darthduba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-27 04:22:20 Reply

At 12/27/10 12:41 AM, jpbear wrote:

Duba
its inevitable(apart from getting a better soundcard/computer of course), but when over tweaking/creating synths by hand on sytrus you get MASSIVE cpu usage, as in pretty much dont create your own synths or dont tweak much from presets. But thats probably cause i dont know how to synthesize that well. Also the unison chorus feature on the main panel in sytrus boosts cpu MAJORLY so try to avoid that. I love sytrus but i hate the cpu load.

Yeah I use that chorus feature on the front on almost every synth I make. I think it provides awesome sound. Sucks that I have to make a choice between a good sound or a smooth program ...

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-27 11:27:00 Reply

lol its just a low pass filter

aryama5
aryama5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-28 14:49:06 Reply

First cry for help here:

So I finished a trance song last night on FL Studio.
I opened it this morning, no instruments were playing except my snares and claps!
I had many more precussive patterns, pads, synths, and white noises. They are still on my FL Studio playlist track organizer thing. All of them are un-muted on the playlist, mixer, AND step sequencer, yet none of them are playing!

I recently downloaded some A/V codecs for getting Vegas Pro 9 to import .mp4 files properly, so could it be that I need to download more codecs for this, or what should I do?

defegistor
defegistor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-28 15:20:21 Reply

Are you in song mode?

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-28 15:21:50 Reply

At 12/28/10 02:49 PM, aryama5 wrote: First cry for help here:

So I finished a trance song last night on FL Studio.
I opened it this morning, no instruments were playing except my snares and claps!
I had many more precussive patterns, pads, synths, and white noises. They are still on my FL Studio playlist track organizer thing. All of them are un-muted on the playlist, mixer, AND step sequencer, yet none of them are playing!

I recently downloaded some A/V codecs for getting Vegas Pro 9 to import .mp4 files properly, so could it be that I need to download more codecs for this, or what should I do?

first off, make sure you are using the ASIO4ALL driver in your audio settings. also you said they were unmuted on the mixer, so are you getting the signal and just not playback? or are you not getting either?

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-29 11:07:28 Reply

At 12/29/10 10:14 AM, Skeepsis wrote: How do I get rid of a crackling sound while my song is playing?

two things you can do. the first and most common reason has to do with the buffer length on your audio driver. go into audio settings, and raise the buffer length, then try playback again, if that doesnt work, go back and up the buffer length more....if you start getting near the most buffer length possible setting and you still have crackling, then buffer length isnt your problem and you should lower it back to where it was when you started.

the second scenario is simply a cpu problem. there are a lot of ways to optimimze fl studio playback to not use as much cpu. i suggest looking up a guide on this. a couple of other quick things you can do to lower cpu usage is to turn off 'reset plugins on transport' in the audio settings, and to make sure you are utilizing all the multi-thread options in there as well (assuming you have a multi-core processor)

GronmonSE
GronmonSE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-29 13:23:08 Reply

I have a little problem with FL and I suspect it's a cheap, onboard soundcard problem on my laptop.

I can't use a mic to record and playback a song on my headphones (or even laptop speakers) at the same time. If I want to use a mic, I have to switch to Asio4ALL on FL, but I get no playback.

For this reason, I end up having to put the song on my iPod and playing to that, but my workflow is severely hindered this way because I end up switching devices on FL.

If it's worth noting, I can't even record songs in audio clips from within my laptop on MSN. I used to be able on my desktop, but never on this laptop.

Should I get an external sound card?

Another question. I have a Lexicon Alpha thing that I use to record stuff with but the quality is awful. It sounds alright when it's clean, but the second I turn on distortion, it starts cracking and stuff. Will getting a virtual amp fix my problem without compromising quality?

defegistor
defegistor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-29 13:38:47 Reply

At 12/29/10 01:23 PM, GronmonSE wrote:

If I want to use a mic, I have to switch to Asio4ALL on FL, but I get no playback.

You have to close all other applications that might use audio when you use ASIO4ALL. This includes Firefox, Steam, some IM programs, etc. Restart FL Studio afterwards, and ASIO4ALL should work.

Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-29 18:03:59 Reply

Hey people! I've recently decided to seriously tap into the world of FL Studio 9 and I need your assistance.

I'm trying to add a fast glissando part in a song I'm composing, but I cannot find a way to do this on the piano roll. Basically I need it to play a series of fast, consecutive notes from one point to another like you would on a piano or harp, yet I can't find a way around this. Any tips?

Note that I do not want a slide effect. I want it to play many consecutive notes in a short period of time.

Thanks!

BBS Signature
Expectrum
Expectrum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-29 18:24:23 Reply

Nevermind the above post, I found a way shortly after. Just had to use the Slice Tool and cut the notes into tiny pieces, then set Snap to Grip to (none). Moved the notes close together and voila!

If anyone has a better method, be my guest.

BBS Signature
Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-29 22:20:47 Reply

Well, it's not a better method, but something you might consider while making a glissando-type-sound is to cut back on the velocity of the notes if you want a realistic sound out of it. Very fast notes like that tend to be a bit less heftily played due to the dexterity needed to achieve the speed.

Snipemix
Snipemix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-30 09:01:48 Reply

I dont know if this has been said already or not.

Can you download someone elses track and use it to make another track of yours adding there name aswell to giving me this music?

Tzunami
Tzunami
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2010-12-30 09:20:24 Reply

At 12/30/10 09:01 AM, Snipemix wrote: I dont know if this has been said already or not.

Can you download someone elses track and use it to make another track of yours adding there name aswell to giving me this music?

CC states that you are allowed to do that as long as it's under the same licence and credit is given to the author. If you look around the portal, there are plenty of remixes to the more popular songs.

BBS Signature