00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ask your FruityLoops questions here

662,595 Views | 6,553 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-13 06:49:24

At 1/12/11 03:50 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 1/12/11 03:19 PM, dj-Jo wrote: Alright, I'm having some trouble with Sidechain Compression
I only get the route only to track selection when I right click
How do I get the Sidechain to track selection up :o
Don't really get your terminology use here.

This is my first time doing sidechaing so... yeah
It isn't complex.

1. Peak controller on the thing you want to have initiate the chain (unmute it generally unless you want it purely acting as a controller).

2. Right click a parameter elsewhere you want to connect to the peak controller.

3. Hit Link to controller, window opens up.

4. Set the internal controller to your peak control, peak setting.

Watch your knob/slider bounce around. Edit the peak settings on the peak controller to get it moving in the range you want it to. Usually for the typical 'sidechain' people are all googoo gaga over, you'll invert the imput, though you can do that with the base level in the peak controller anyways.

You can connect anything you can automate to the chain. Its just another type of automation.

This is the old (and cumbersome) way to do sidechaining IMO. In FL Studio 9 they included a handy-dandy sidechain feature on the Fruity Limiter as outlined by Image-Line's helpful FL Studio Guru tutorial here.

The Peak Controller method is good to know since it lets you automate filters and other things in interesting ways, but for sidechaining I prefer the new way :)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-13 07:01:13

Sidechaining

When I don't actually need to connect it to my drums, I tend to quickly draw a bit in Gross beat. It's quick and easy and gives a good visiual idea of what you're actually doing to the sound's volume.

Then again, I haven't tried the way with the limiter, I should look into that some time. I tend to use the peak controller when it's for more complex things though; like simply LFO-ing some parameters.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-16 15:24:57

hey i don't want to bother to make another thread. I wonder about these bass hits, example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNDlLiVB K0&t=01m55s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_69zwXh4b dE&t=1m55s

Anyone got info about htese things?
I don't seem to get this kind of effect. Seems like a simple sine bass or some kind of melody bassdrum.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-17 14:49:56

At 1/16/11 03:24 PM, eatmeatleet wrote: hey i don't want to bother to make another thread. I wonder about these bass hits, example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNDlLiVB K0&t=01m55s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_69zwXh4b dE&t=1m55s

Anyone got info about htese things?
I don't seem to get this kind of effect. Seems like a simple sine bass or some kind of melody bassdrum.

That's the bass n drum bass that you hear a lot of in stuff like Aphex Twin. I'm not sure how they make the synth for it but you can probably achieve the same thing with a short bass drop. And you can find bass drop samples easily

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-17 15:07:34

Don't use samples for such a simple sound like that...

Sine wave layered with a punchy aired out kick should do just fine. Just make sure you dont have a bunch of oscillators crowding up the lower end harmonics because its a relatively thin sound you want and its very easy to crowd up the sub frequencies. Other than that, a sharp attack and slow release should make for a nice pizzicato sound to the bass, so you may not even need to layer it, or if you do, use the kick very lightly.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-19 06:28:27

At 1/19/11 02:08 AM, CatCatCatCatLION wrote: I've been looking online for about an hour and have no idea what the fuck is going on. Anybody know how to fix this?

Current project on the left sidebar. Automation. Click on whatever the filename is, or just initialized controls. Find Tempo (coarse). Right click. Delete event if possible. If not, edit event, ctrl+a to select all in the window that pops up, and hit delete.

That should fix your issue. Btw you shouldn't be using FL8, FL9 has been out for some time.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-19 17:04:23

I was wondering how I can make a beat drop.

You know, like what's in this song.

It's like this really resounding *bash* sound in that song.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-19 17:27:00

At 1/19/11 05:04 PM, RetromanOMG wrote: I was wondering how I can make a beat drop.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 90782

eh thats mostly just a heavily reverbed fat kick(sometimes called a hall kick) and a high pass filter on white noise. If your talking about the intro thing.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-20 00:28:43

At 1/19/11 05:27 PM, jpbear wrote:
At 1/19/11 05:04 PM, RetromanOMG wrote: I was wondering how I can make a beat drop.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/3 90782
eh thats mostly just a heavily reverbed fat kick(sometimes called a hall kick) and a high pass filter on white noise. If your talking about the intro thing.

Sounded like a kick with a ton of reverb, then a really reverb'd out highs-boosted crash (perhaps open hat?) with ping pong delay coming out the end of it.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-20 00:30:07

At 1/19/11 12:24 PM, CatCatCatCatLION wrote:
At 1/19/11 06:28 AM, Nav wrote:
At 1/19/11 02:08 AM, CatCatCatCatLION wrote: I've been looking online for about an hour and have no idea what the fuck is going on. Anybody know how to fix this?
Current project on the left sidebar. Automation. Click on whatever the filename is, or just initialized controls. Find Tempo (coarse). Right click. Delete event if possible. If not, edit event, ctrl+a to select all in the window that pops up, and hit delete.
wow you are AWESOME. Gracias.

How the hell does shit like this occur? Is this a common keyboard/fl thing?

Sorry for double post but I r posting useful stuffs.

What you probably did was hit record, then while record was active, changed the tempo. This would make an automated tempo change in your recorded bit, so whenever you went to change it, it would snap right back to where it was during the recorded bit.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-20 00:39:04

I just recreated it. I can't believe it was so simple; thanks for the help, guys.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-20 17:06:30

I am using Nexus 2 wth fruity loops and I want to add a pattern to a track im working on, but I want to mess with the Cut off and things and I want that to play as a pattern. How do I record a pattern while I am messing with the cutoff, and then add that one I just recorded to the Song Grid?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-20 17:16:58

At 1/20/11 12:39 AM, RetromanOMG wrote: I just recreated it. I can't believe it was so simple; thanks for the help, guys.

Very often you'll want to think in terms of layering. Many very complicated sounds are made of simple sounds put together. (I know Zircon, for instance, enjoys spamming thousands of instruments at the same time for percussion :p)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-20 17:22:39

And another thing I have had trouble with is when I play my song it sound like there are 2 recordings of the same thing back to back, and when I delete the one that sounds that way from the playlist the song still plays it, even though its gone

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9726/
sdc.png

There's a link where I deleted pattern 2 but when I hit play on song it still plays the piano part, which is pattern 2. Did I record over it or something? There are no other patterns in the same place as where pattern 2 was.

Any help would be appreciated.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-21 02:28:47

At 1/20/11 05:06 PM, synchery wrote: I am using Nexus 2 wth fruity loops and I want to add a pattern to a track im working on

Ok so you just add a pattern like any other.

but I want to mess with the Cut off and things and I want that to play as a pattern

So create an automation clip.

How do I record a pattern while I am messing with the cutoff, and then add that one I just recorded to the Song Grid?

Hit record, select automation, hit play, wiggle the knob around. Though that will be shockingly imprecise. Just creating a clip and manually moving the line graph around will prove best.

At 1/20/11 05:22 PM, synchery wrote: And another thing I have had trouble with is when I play my song it sound like there are 2 recordings of the same thing back to back, and when I delete the one that sounds that way from the playlist the song still plays it, even though its gone

You don't know whats going on in your own song. You put something there thats doing it, isolate it, checkout your chours/reverb/delay settings, checkout your mixer send settings. Check if its trancegated or arpegiated (the ynth). Confirm you didn't write something on one pattern, and copy paste it onto another without having removed the originally copied bit.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9726/
sdc.png

Doesn't help much, having a before/after picture with before and after audio would be better.

There's a link where I deleted pattern 2 but when I hit play on song it still plays the piano part, which is pattern 2. Did I record over it or something? There are no other patterns in the same place as where pattern 2 was.

Pull that grey bar down between where you place your loops, and where the bar number is shown. You may have put some patterns there in the more visual arrangement tray.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-21 23:48:01

Okay, I checked my library of sounds, and when I click Packs >> Loops, it doesn't show "Melody Loops" and "Drum Loops", just a small number of rather crappy synth/drum loops. I guess my question is, in Fruity Loops Studio 9, am I missing something?

If not, does anyone know of a place where I can DL some decent drum loops for free? The only sites I've found aren't the best or require I pay 10 bucks or subscribe.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-22 14:33:33

At 1/21/11 01:20 AM, africanchristmastree wrote: this thread is soooooooooooooooo long

Indeed.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-23 06:58:03

At 1/21/11 11:48 PM, Kemikal-Rabbit wrote: Okay, I checked my library of sounds, and when I click Packs >> Loops, it doesn't show "Melody Loops" and "Drum Loops", just a small number of rather crappy synth/drum loops. I guess my question is, in Fruity Loops Studio 9, am I missing something?

If not, does anyone know of a place where I can DL some decent drum loops for free? The only sites I've found aren't the best or require I pay 10 bucks or subscribe.

K, First of all, I use FL Studio 9 too, and no, it doesn't have melody loops included, I don't see why you'd want to use loops, first of all, If you're going to post on NG, don't ever use loops ;)
And if you want, I can recommend you some drums samples and stuff, Just PM me :)

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-23 15:31:10

At 1/23/11 03:00 PM, leftBrain wrote: Two questions.

1) Is there a possible way I can get an Andy Mckee song in FL Studio, and then put nice panflute melodies over the top, maybe some bongos, generally build upon it as mess around it?

If you have such a song already, you can simply drag and drop the audio file (mp3 and .wav are the most commonly supported, I haven't tried any others of yet) onto the step sequencer and it'll open up as a sample channel just like a drum loop would.

2) If I made a nice song with his guitar playing as an element in it, would this be legal?

Legality isn't my forte, but using samples from existing copyrighted works is legal only in the following cases with perhaps some exceptions I don't know about -

1) You have express legal permission from the owner of the copyright on the work to use the aforementioned sample(s).

2) You are covered under legal 'fair use' type clauses, with which I am not very familiar (you'd likely want to ask a copyright lawyer), but they will always involve nonprofit and/or educational reasons, and are directly related to the work used (using the monday night football theme on a non-profit educational podcast whose topic is not "discussing the monday night football theme" would therefore likely be illegal, for instance, despite being non-profit and educational - as I said, consult a copyright lawyer before releasing something like this if you want to be safe).

3) You don't ever show anyone else that it exists for any reason.

Only under case 1 would Newgrounds consider allowing you to upload your work (Newgrounds technically makes money due to the ad space on your upload page, invalidating "Fair Use"), and then you would need to provide the proof to an audio moderator or other official member of the site BEFORE uploading it, and have the upload approved.

Under case 3 you obviously wouldn't be uploading it anywhere, much less Newgrounds, so that's fine.

So, the bottom line is, simply making it is technically probably not legal, but nobody will find out. If you show it to people, people will find out, and then it's REALLY illegal unless you are exempted by one of the above cases (or, again, perhaps some cases I don't know about).

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-23 20:45:37

I am fairly new to FL studio and creating music online in general. I was wondering what the 64 point sinc, linear 128 sinc, etc option is when exporting a song in FL as an Mp3. How does changing this option affect an exported song?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-24 01:34:51

At 1/23/11 08:45 PM, T1LTED wrote: I am fairly new to FL studio and creating music online in general. I was wondering what the 64 point sinc, linear 128 sinc, etc option is when exporting a song in FL as an Mp3. How does changing this option affect an exported song?

To understand this you'll need to understand a bit about how songs are digitized. Some of this may be SLIGHTLY wrong, it's been a while since I've worked with this process explicitly (I did a bunch of work on digitizing sound last year, this year has been nada but circuits and logic systems, so it's a bit rusty).

The sound wave is created as a series of bits (0's and 1's) using a process known as "sampling". Every X seconds (usually many hundreds or thousands of times per second) a sample point of the waveform on a graph is taken. These points are stored in a file as 0's and 1's. This is what is being referred to by a track's samplerate (audio CDs are standardized to 44.1kHz, or 44,100 samples every second - interesting fact is that it's been found in order to perfectly reconstruct a frequency spectrum, you need 2 samples per second per Hz wavelenth - a track that exists only in the frequency spectrum 0Hz to 100Hz would only need 200 samples per second, but for our spectrum of 0-20,000 Hz we need at least 40,000 samples/second, and the music industry uses 44,100 samples to be safe and/or give additional headroom frequency-wise).

When reconstructing the file into a soundwave this process is reversed (oversimplification warning - this part is not literally accurate, but the gist of it is close enough and looking it up would take too long), and the sample points are used to draw a graph (the sound wave form you are familiar with) by drawing lines between the points that are stored in the data.

This is what "interpolation" is talking about. It is an algorithm for determining how best to draw the lines between sample points. Linear interpolation would just be a straight line connection the two points, which sounds good, but not really perfect - there'll be a slight dip in audio quality since waves have many nuances that a series of straight lines, despite their length, cannot quite capture.

Something like 256 point interpolation is a method of reconstructing the wave between the two points that is much more complex, and gets much better results, than a straight line ever would. It is also a big fat CPU hog, which is why it warns you not to use it during live applications, but to save it for rendering a finished product.

Again, some of that is probably wrong, or much too oversimplified (I'll admit, I forget some of the process's specifics), but most of that is mostly close enough that you should be able to understand what it means.

TL;DR - It makes your song sound better but takes a big chunk of your processor to do it. Don't use it* for live shows, do use it for rendering your finished product.

*"it" being advanced interpolation algorithms above linear or 6 point hermite.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-24 14:37:28

At 1/23/11 08:45 PM, T1LTED wrote: I am fairly new to FL studio and creating music online in general. I was wondering what the 64 point sinc, linear 128 sinc, etc option is when exporting a song in FL as an Mp3. How does changing this option affect an exported song?

The sync interpolation deals with the quantization (smoothing between known values or points) of your audio wave. The higher the interpolation, the more precise the smoothing is and accurate to the actual sounds being generated. Linear often has a resonant edge due to imprecise/sharp curves that create high overtones. Its ploopy. 6-point hermite is usually a better option for the quick render/listen tests.

The higher up ones don't have the resonant edges, and often are smoother, safer for avoiding clipping (assuming you mix/master well in the first place), and depict your detail in a higher quality. More points are used, and more time spent to figure out an accurate curve.

From 56 to 512 though, its rather inhuman to hear the difference, but for a final render always go with one of the higher settings.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-24 17:26:52

At 1/24/11 05:07 PM, leftBrain wrote: I'm using this instrument in Sytrus and as the melody plays, there's this constant "thudding sound" as every note sounds. Any ideas how I can get rid of it?

reduce the amp attack.

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-25 01:47:40

This has probly been asked like 20 times, but I'm too lazy to go through all 169 pages of this thread. So, here we go.

How does piano roll work? How do you take an instrument that you've selected and put into that list of instruments, and... do a piano roll of it? I tried like, pushing F7 and stuff. But that doesn't work right because it plays Middle C at the start of each pattern... Idk.

Can you help?

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-25 11:17:04

At 1/25/11 01:47 AM, Draxeddon wrote: This has probly been asked like 20 times, but I'm too lazy to go through all 169 pages of this thread. So, here we go.

How does piano roll work? How do you take an instrument that you've selected and put into that list of instruments, and... do a piano roll of it? I tried like, pushing F7 and stuff. But that doesn't work right because it plays Middle C at the start of each pattern... Idk.

Ok, look.

In the step sequencer (You should know what that is), You can load multiple samples, soundfonts, etcetera.
Now, when you load something into a step sequencer, you now have access to that sound. When going into the piano roll, you can make a melody as long as you want.
To access the piano roll, Right click on the instruments nad pressEnter Piano Roll.
It's Playing Middle C in the beginning, (I think) because you pressed one of those little cup, button things on the step sequencer.
Hope I helped! Feel free to send a PM for further explanation, if you didn't get it :P

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-25 12:47:04

At 1/25/11 11:37 AM, leftBrain wrote: I want to purchase the Sytrus plugin, but on the ImageLine website it only gives the price in US dollars. How exactly do I pay for it if I live in the UK?

I'm sure it can do a conversion for you. Or use paypal, convert your money from whatever it is to US dollars, then pay for the plugin DL.

BBS Signature

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-25 18:59:12

At 1/25/11 11:37 AM, leftBrain wrote: I want to purchase the Sytrus plugin, but on the ImageLine website it only gives the price in US dollars. How exactly do I pay for it if I live in the UK?

I've had to convert my money to £ before. Paypal can do it :D

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-25 22:07:07

I'm in a bit of a bind.

somehow I managed to changed the root not of my entire song? C5 for example is now 2 half steps down and is an A#.

Can anyoen help me change it back? this is kind of distressing, I havn't saved for a while :|

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-25 22:24:14

At 1/25/11 10:07 PM, Or4nges wrote: I'm in a bit of a bind.

somehow I managed to changed the root not of my entire song? C5 for example is now 2 half steps down and is an A#.

Can anyoen help me change it back? this is kind of distressing, I havn't saved for a while :|

right next to the main volume bar(top left of FL) theres also a master pitch level, right click, reset,

good to go :^*

Response to Ask your FruityLoops questions here 2011-01-25 22:29:57

At 1/25/11 10:24 PM, jpbear wrote:
right next to the main volume bar(top left of FL) theres also a master pitch level, right click, reset,

ILOVEYOU O_O;

Seriously, I was about to just give up the whole song lol