00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Back from 'Nam

7,535 Views | 72 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 08:08:34

Hey everyone! I got back from Vietnam yesterday morning at 7:30am, but I was groggy and busy getting caught up with school, so I didn't post anything about the trip yet... I know it doesn't have a lot to do with NG, but maybe some of you will be interested in hearing about it anyway! :)

I left last Friday (Sept. 28) to fly to Vietnam and visit my girlfriend Tegan, who is spending a semester at the university in Hanoi. I flew out of JFK airport (NYC), which supposedly has the tightest security of the NY airports.

In order to get to the gates I had to go through a lengthier-than-usual security check, where they patted me down and rubbed a hand-held metal detector all over my body (and I mean RUBBED ALL OVER, if you catch my drift). The lady even searched through my wallet! Surprisingly, however, they didn't take notice to the two aerosal cans of bug repellent that were in my schoolbag - which was carry-on luggage. I thought that would be an issue, but it slipped right by.

Tegan's aunt works at the airport, so she hooked me up with a pass for the Business Class lounge. HOLY CRAP! If this is the Business Class lounge, I can't imagine what the First Class lounge is like - I had tons of FREE SNACKS (tasty cookies, biscuits, fruits, etc.) and FREE DRINKS - including.... FREE BEER! Not just any beer, either! They had GUINNESS and BASS! Woah!

I had two hours to kill before my flight, and this was the place to do it. I was able to get on the internet and post on the NG BBS, and the place was full of huge cozy chairs of every type. The lounge area was huge, with lots of different places to sit. There were also TVs, showers, and a room to sleep in. Tegan's aunt said that the lounge was normally packed on Friday nights, but on this night there was barely anyone there at all. I can see how the airlines must be hurting!

So anyway... I got on my flight, which was headed to Hong Kong with a stop in Vancouver on the way. When I got to the Hong Kong airport, I had to go through another security check for my carry-on luggage. This time, they DID catch the cans of bug spray! After taking a look at the cans, they let me take them on. From Hong Kong I flew into Vietnam, where Tegan met me at the airport! I was actually one of the last people to fly in to Vietnam's old airport, which looks fit enough to land a crop duster, but is definitely outdated for international visitors. We seriously landed amongst rice fields, and the airport was just a big, junky building. It was really ugly, but Tegan was there to brighten things up with her hottness!

At this rate I am going to be writing forever... Let me try to sum up Vietnam... It rocks. It is a third world country and you have to adjust to a new standard of cleanliness (bugs and rats running around while eating is ok there), but there is so much that is cool about it. The main form of public transit is riding on the backs of motorbikes, and there are apparently NO TRAFFIC rules - cars and bikes drive around ANYWHERE on the street where there is an opening for them. You seriously feel like you are in a hollywood chase scene when you get there - cars and bikes and driving straight towards you, and everyone is swerving around eachother. People honk their horns CONSTANTLY to let everyone around them know they are there... It isn't rude, it is what they do. It is TOTAL INSANITY, but it somehow works and you get used to it after a few days.

I seriously can't believe that I have never seen it on TV, though... People have to see how crazy this traffic is. Sometimes there are big intersections where people obey red lights, but many intersections are just a free for all, with all of the traffic weaving through eachother - you can't believe how INSANE it is.

The best thing, of course, is it the PRICES. People there work HARD, and you can buy the stuff cheap. A really nice "western-style" restaurant that would cost you $30-50 in the US will cost you around $12 here. If you eat at the places where locals eat, it will cost you less than a dollar.

Vietnam is new to tourism, so they are slowly getting the hang of catering to Westerners. There are a lot of new hotels that weren't there a few years ago, and the accomodations in them are good. I spent a few nights at the university, but spent a few in a really nice hotel for only $30 per night - and that included breakfast in the morning and my own balcony overlooking Hanoi.

Over the weekend I went with Tegan's class on a trip to central Vietnam (Hanoi is in the north). We flew into Da Nang, and then took a one hour ride to Hoi An, which was much more relaxed and not as hustle-bustle as Hanoi. It is also near the beach, and the beaches there are beautiful! Stuff was even cheaper there, and I met an artist who I REALLY liked, so I bought 7 of his oil paintings for $80. These are big, awesome paintings... $80. People there always negotiate prices, but I didn't want to - this guy deserved every penny! I will take pictures of some of his paintings and put them on the site later.

We also visited some ancient ruins, which were bombed by the US. The Vietnam War was so completely POINTLESS - we wanted to stop the "red menace" from spreading, but Vietnam became Communist anyway and it never spread beyond there. We basically came in and killed a bunch of them for nothing. I need to rethink my whole stance on Jane Fonda now. :)

ANYWAY... Sunday night I flew back to Hanoi, and Monday morning I left for the US (via Hong Kong and LA). I was OFFICIALLY the FIRST person to go through the gates at their NEW airport! That is right, they just opened a new international airport, and it looks as nice as anything in the US. International visitors will no longer get that "I'm landing in a country full of peasants" feel when they come to Vietnam. I was there early, and my flight to Hong Kong was the first international flight of the day. After I got my customs ticket stamped, a girl came up and congratulated me on being the first! I'm part of history!

The flight to LA was 12 hours, and I had a nine hour lay-over in LA... Thank god for Advanced Wars and my Gameboy Advanced. I would have died without it. I also finished reading Timequake, by Kurt Vonnegut. Good book.

So now I am back, and I'm still re-adjusting to the sleep schedule! Vietnam is a 12 hour difference, so you have to completely reverse your sleep schedule there.

I will put together an "official" essay about my trip, with a lot more details and pictures! It's good to be back!

It looks like a lot of crazy stuff happened while I was gone - we had a total press frenzy and Wade was interviewed in a bunch of newspapers, including the New York Daily News! The craziest was last night, when FOX NEWS mentioned Newgrounds and played Diplomacy in its entirety on TV! That is too awesome!

So uh... How is everyone doing? What have I missed? What do you think of this Anthrax scare?!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 08:20:43

Welcome back, sucka.
I think the Anthrax scare is nothing. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with terrorists.

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 08:21:40

i like cookies.
hope you had a good time.

zero.
p.s: disorderly rocks! good job!

Back from 'Nam

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 08:32:55

good deal fulp! Sounds like a blast. Someone also mentioned newgrounds in this little newspaper here in
NJ (hey, close enough to philly)..it was crazy. Your gettin hype and Im glad. Lesse some oil paintings cuz
im im first period at school now. Woohoo.

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 08:36:50

Surprisingly, however, they didn't take notice to the two aerosal cans of bug repellent that were in my schoolbag - which was carry-on luggage. I thought that would be an issue, but it slipped right by.

Surprising, an aerosal can and a lighter make a good hijacking weapon...
Hey im first to respond!

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 08:52:28

Wow! I learned much more about Vietnam! Nice trip!

Ps. BTW, you should now probably hear Souvenir Of China, by Jean Michel Jarre.

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 08:57:29

Nice to have you back

are you having flash backs of nam like eric cartman

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 09:04:34

Awesome read Tom!
Great to have ya back!

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 09:20:25

At 10/10/01 08:54 AM, EntropicOrder wrote: Welcome back Tom!

Did anyone else actually see the FOX broadcast of Diplomacy? I'm pretty doubtful of the post that said that.

I could just picture the little "bleep" that came out of Osama's mouth at the end. Well, if they did show it, it probably wasn't in it's entirety.

My parents saw it and so did one of my Drexel buds. Apparently they did play the whole thing.

-Tom

BBS Signature

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 09:45:46

We basically came in and killed a bunch of them for nothing. I need to rethink my whole stance on Jane Fonda now. :)
After this sentence I quit reading what was otherwise entertaining. You need to remember...or learn...that even though Ms.Fonda had the right to state her opinions; she cost several American soldiers dearly. Several of our guys gave her pieces of paper with messages to their families which she promptly handed back to the captors, you can bet those poor guys had Hell to pay just for trying to let someone know they were still even alive. Now that I've vented..maybe I'll continue to read your otherwise good description of your trip?

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 09:48:35

At 10/10/01 09:20 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/10/01 08:54 AM, EntropicOrder wrote: Welcome back Tom!

Did anyone else actually see the FOX broadcast of Diplomacy? I'm pretty doubtful of the post that said that.

I could just picture the little "bleep" that came out of Osama's mouth at the end. Well, if they did show it, it probably wasn't in it's entirety.
My parents saw it and so did one of my Drexel buds. Apparently they did play the whole thing.

-Tom

FOX bleeped the "F" word..other than that...they ran it all! (Hey: It was Prime Time!) Great publicity!

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 09:49:13

Wow! Sounds like you had a bitchin' time, Tom. It's nice to hear how you don't have to go to a "first-world" country to have a safe, enjoyable time. When are you going back? Or is Tegan coming to the States some time?

On another note, I had no idea that NG was getting so much media attention over this whole Bin Laden deal. Cool! I suppose it shouldn't come as a suprise though; the media is so saturated with this stuff that practically everything WTC-related is getting reported on. It figures that Fox would run the Diplomacy Flash, though. That kind of humor is right up their alley. I do suppose they had to bleep out the "Fuck!" part though, right? It's almost funnier that way, I suppose.

Good to have you back, Tom! Let's just hope all this media attention doesn't hog all the NG Bandwidth. :)

Back from 'Nam

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 10:08:34

Welcome back Tom, glad you had a good time and were able to visit the lovely Vietnam.

You're a very lucky guy! when I finally make enough money, I'm going to send my mom back there to visit. She hasn't been home since the war and she cries when our family over there sends videos of weddings and special events.

Don't call it NAM 'less you been there,
sterile

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 10:18:36

'Nam sounds cool. I might wanna go there sometime.

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 10:23:17

Hey welcome back dude.

don't no what to say about the anthrax shit but one the the metal band anthrax is cool.
josh

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 10:31:30

At 10/10/01 09:49 AM, Compdude wrote: Wow! Sounds like you had a bitchin' time, Tom. It's nice to hear how you don't have to go to a "first-world" country to have a safe, enjoyable time. When are you going back? Or is Tegan coming to the States some time?

Tegan is coming back in December, although I definitely want to go back to Vietnam some day and see how they are progressing. It is so depressing in the US because everyone is bummed out about the economic downturn (not to mention 9-11), but in Vietnam their economy has been on the rise for the past few years, and continues to do so. Who knows how much longer that will hold up if the global economy continues to rot, but right now it is an exciting place to be because they have positive growth.

-Tom

BBS Signature

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 11:37:53

Hey, I think there should be a welcome page to this site. It could have a cool Flash all about Newgrounds or something. Just a suggestion.

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 11:41:09

As far as im concerned with anthrax, i cant wait for them to come to town january 18th at the universal amphitheater with judas priest and iced earth!!!

oh yeah, tencious d kicks ass.

Back from 'Nam

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 12:18:05

Hey Tom :) I'm glad you had a great time in Vietnam, I, for one, know how great it is to visit other countries. You sound like you appreciated every bit of it, which is great, not many people get to appreciate the little things anymore. I heard about Newgrounds being on the news, but I didn't see it personally. Anyway, I just wanted to say welcome back to the states and I'm glad you had a great time :)

1ne

The path to hell lies between my fists, and your soul... Shun Goku Satsu!

BBS Signature

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 12:20:52

GREAT to have you bakc Tom! Not that Wade was bad, but he just isĀ“nt you :P

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 12:28:28

Yay Tom is back break out the guns we can finally go to war now! Tom our leader we salute you ! :)

Back from 'Nam

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 13:49:08

About the anthrax thing: I haven't read a great deal on it, but apparently small anthrax breakouts occur from time to time. They don't make the news, however, because there are usually no situations such as the one we have right now. Anyways, certain animals carry anthrax as part of their normal body chemistry (I think -- sort of like E. coli)... so there's not much to worry about right now, it could have been started via some hunter not cleaning his kill right before he ate it... I dunno.

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 15:54:33

This scare is nothing, but bull-crap... Other than that schools including mine were evacuated and I had the day off :) cuz of stupid bomb threats... Also we FOUGHT BACK!!!!

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 15:57:47

Whoa cool! Those paintings are awesome! That guy is really talented!
And i can't believe Fox new mention newgrounds and i went to sleep when it was about to come on. Dang it!

Back from 'Nam

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 16:31:53

It's good to have you back Tom. The 'Nam sounds like a really cool place to visit. Have you seen my Anti-Clock movie yet? I think you'll enjoy it...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=33633

Back from 'Nam

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 18:18:22

It looks like a lot of crazy stuff happened while I was gone - we had a total press frenzy and Wade was interviewed in a bunch of newspapers, including the New York Daily News! The craziest was last night, when FOX NEWS mentioned Newgrounds and played Diplomacy in its entirety on TV! That is too awesome!

Does Mike O know about this? If he does I sure hope he taped it! This is a once in a life time experience! In any rate he should be real proud. :)

-Nick Danzinger

Back from 'Nam

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 18:30:43

Yo Tom, you think 'Nam is the only place where people drive like crazy? Come to Panama City, Panama where their infrastructure is just "damn". Roads are usually sometimes crappy 'cause they've got potholes that could take out your tires, not to mention that other utilities such as traffic lights, signs, curbs and etc. aren't even used effectively. Multi-colored school bus used for transits (they call them "Chivas") and taxis are usually responsible for myriad number of car collisions, and on top of that, about 90% of them don't even have licenses. What makes it even worse is that they don't maintain the buses and taxis so at night their tail lights don't work at all, and you cant see them 'till the last minute. The so-called "Chivas" sag on the back axles because they exceed the rated capacity of passengers. Bus Drivers will bully you when they fight to get in the lanes they want.To drive defensively is to drive offensively, that's the only way to survive, if you want to turn left on a street or get on traffic from a lot, the rule is to nudge up closer and closer 'till you block traffic and get on the road. "Whoever gets there first, gets there first". They have so far tried to copy things from the "Gringos" but they don't copy the right stuff such as catching bastards whos tail lights don't work, or not placing traffic lights "across" the streets so that everybody can see them. I know the experience of traffic ruts more than you, nonetheless, there are always B.S. of some kind or another. You know how sometimes people bitch about the traffic and the system, visiting places like 'Nam or Panama will make you appreciate and understand why we have all kinds of laws for traffic situations. Before I moved to Panama from Iowa, I used to visit there 'cause of my relatives and stuff. When I came back, I always appreciated one thing about the roads in the states, "SPACE!".
The only place in the world I can think of that has the worse traffic is Rome, this I only know based on my parents vacation to Europe.
Well, guess that's all I have to say. Oh I've got some questions, is Tom Green related to your brother Wade?
Wouldn't it be cool if you add a feature on your NG search engine where you can just type in the I.D. # of a flash movie? Let me know what you think about it.

Only I can make blue whales cry.

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 18:40:57

Heh... I bet that whole thing was a blast... allthough the fact that British Beer is nothing compared to German Beer... but the price was right... free. And it definitely beats the bullshit beer here... ^_^ You cant beat that!
So.. about the anthrax scare... hmm.. Im just happy that it isnt communicable from person to person. But that does not stop its potential as a threat. In my personal opinion... this idea of Jihad ontheir account is just a fit of jealous rage. Western society has all of the advantages... and as corrupt as it is... the corruption in it (a good lot of it) kicks major ass.
I jsut wish that the Taliban would mind their own business... but its too late for that now.. isnt it?

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 18:44:06

Damn! Newgrounds has really been on the uphill with all the interviews and Diplomacy bieng played... Hell I found out about NG on the radio 3 years ago on WBCN... Assassin was very popular back then... Also the site didn't take 2 minutes to load... That damn "This page cannot be desplayed" crap almost never appeared... Old times... Good times...

EVERYONE GO HERE!!!
http://members.home.net/nathanvd/ct-win.jpg

Back from 'Nam

Response to Back from 'Nam 2001-10-10 18:48:37

At 10/10/01 08:08 AM, TomFulp wrote:

:So uh... How is everyone doing? What have I missed? What do you think of this Anthrax scare?!

I was sick yesterday, and no it wasn't anthrax, everthough there we're a lot of these Anthrax scares happening all over Virginia now.

Back from 'Nam