00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam?

3,637 Views | 49 Replies
Respond to this Topic

At 12/3/20 01:51 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
At 12/3/20 01:44 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 12/3/20 01:37 PM, MindChamber wrote: is Flash MX AS2?
Yup!
Probably the best version to use for near-guaranteed Ruffle compatibility

Can't get more oldskool than this. :)

Wouldn't mind if using Flash MX specifically was a requirement too! Mementos of that amazing Macromedia era before Adobe took over and it all started going downhill...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-03 18:19:04

Oh also Congrats @Dungeonation! Cool to see there are still plenty of peeps that keep dabbling with these languages of old too!

Well, Ruffle had a hand in that. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-03 18:55:16

Anyone here manage to get an Xbox One Series X or Playstation 5?

I managed to get a xbox series x and s then my sister got a ps5

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-03 18:55:18

At 12/3/20 11:08 AM, TomFulp wrote: So here’s the question - if we had a Flash Jam where you were tasked with creating interactive content using AS2, is that a jam you would participate in? Reply in this thread! It would be great to see some old pros turn up to make something new.

I'm not an "old pro" but yes definitely! I've been meaning to make a tribute to an old flash series from the 2000s that I enjoyed watching recently, this would be a perfect excuse to do so.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-03 19:17:06

At 12/3/20 11:54 AM, Luis wrote: i can do a flash jam. it just cant be this year because i've retired from art for 2020. First post however.

I've been weighing the pros and cons...

Pros for this Month:

Everyone is talking about Flash this month.

Cons for this Month:

People would be rushing to finish something around the holidays.

Flash still works in browsers so doesn't completely hit the point home.

Hard to promote because we want Tankmas ADVENTure to get a lot of attention this month.

Pros for January:

People have more time to prepare.

Ruffle will be further along and support more features (still AS2 though).

More space to promote (but we also have Pixel Day on Jan 23rd).

Flash won't be in browsers so it will really drive it home for people who see it.

I'm thinking we keep this pretty casual and just announce you can make something with Flash and post it any time in January to participate in this jam. Entries should have an interactive component (so not something better suited for the video player) and should work with Ruffle, so they can play directly on NG without additional software.

I'm gonna write up something more formal tomorrow and we'll make some promo art, but anyone could get started now if they want to tinker with making an interactive movie or game for next month. This could include animation collabs with fun menu interfaces. I'll also solicit donations for prizes, the current prize tiers will at least be this:

1st - $300

2nd - $200

3rd - $150

4th - $100

If anyone reading this wants to chip in, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards the Flash Jam! Current donors are @Dungeonation, @SrPelo and NG!

Also thinking name will be the Flash Forward Jam, because we're moving into the future with Flash.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-03 19:59:13

At 12/3/20 11:47 AM, RobC3 wrote: I'd also be interested in participating in a Flash Jam, as I have the software for AS2. But I'd be going into the language and interactivity for Flash in general as a complete novice.

Don't worry, almost everyone else did that too back in the day. AS2 had the mysterious ability of attracting a lot of novices and keeping them there.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-03 20:35:17

Anyone interested in the flash jam, feel free to hit me up for any voice stuff :)

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-03 20:50:23

I still have my copy of Flash CS6 so this could be fun!

At 12/3/20 11:08 AM, TomFulp wrote: So here’s the question - if we had a Flash Jam where you were tasked with creating interactive content using AS2, is that a jam you would participate in? Reply in this thread! It would be great to see some old pros turn up to make something new.

A Flash Jam sounds like a lot of fun!

Hello from PropelAnims

I really need a better whistle...

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 01:50:45

I just want to say, I would absolutely participate in an actionscript 2 flash jam!

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 02:29:26

Absolutely, such a momentous occasion! If anyone needs an artist, hmu.

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 02:53:00

Flash Jam sounds awesome and since I made nearly all my games in AS2 I'd love to parcticipate. My question would be when the jam takes place, because in december I'm having my exam, which goes until 23rd of december. I'm becoming a certified web developer btw. Well in case I pass the exam.

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 08:11:22

Really loved Cuphead 2077.

Jesus Christ is awesome B) and so are you (as long as you love your neighbors as you love yourself <3)

This website is my favorite place on the Internet lol

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 08:23:02

IMO there should be separate categories for games and interactive movies in the jam.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 09:36:43

At 12/4/20 08:23 AM, CzySzy wrote: IMO there should be separate categories for games and interactive movies in the jam.

I'm wondering at which point an interactive movie is considered a point and click adventure but I could try breaking out some movie categories... I might do that for today's post I'm working on, then hopefully we can boost them all with some more sponsors.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 09:37:30

At 12/4/20 02:53 AM, Wiesi wrote: Flash Jam sounds awesome and since I made nearly all my games in AS2 I'd love to parcticipate. My question would be when the jam takes place, because in december I'm having my exam, which goes until 23rd of december. I'm becoming a certified web developer btw. Well in case I pass the exam.

The plan right now is that people can release their Flash project any time in January to participate.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 09:40:25

At 12/3/20 11:51 PM, GrayAnimations wrote: Yo tom, haven't check up on NG news in a lil bit. I think having both interactive cartoon AND regular cartoons would be better, and the rules could be it HAS to be animated with flash. Smoothing all the way up to prove it lmao

The conflicting thing here is that video format generally is best for non-interactive animation and lots of people are still producing their animations in Flash and publishing them as video - I wouldn't want to give people incentive to only upload SWF files for an entire month, when we much prefer MP4 at this point. That's why the push for interactive elements helps make the case for why the project needs to run as a Flash file vs video.

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-04 14:33:54

I'll provide some sounds if anyone needs weird electronic music.

BBS Signature

At 12/3/20 06:19 PM, Dungeonation wrote:
Oh also Congrats @Dungeonation! Cool to see there are still plenty of peeps that keep dabbling with these languages of old too!
Well, Ruffle had a hand in that. ;)

Ruffle and you, best collaboration possible. ;)

At 12/4/20 02:53 AM, Wiesi wrote: Flash Jam sounds awesome and since I made nearly all my games in AS2 I'd love to parcticipate. My question would be when the jam takes place, because in december I'm having my exam, which goes until 23rd of december. I'm becoming a certified web developer btw. Well in case I pass the exam.

Seems like you'll time it just perfectly! Hope work as certified web dev (fingers crossed) leaves plenty of leeway to also work on some awesome fast-paced creative arcade-like trademark intense Weisi classics now...

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet #10 and Flash Jam? 2020-12-21 03:40:15

A Flash Jam would be fun. We need to live up Flash while we still can.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature