00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Almost-Ichabod just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

America this Week

15,756 Views | 187 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 14:28:43

Tbh even though im black myself im tired of seeing black lives matter all over social media. Just tell the police to stop killing black people as if white people are less dangerous

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 15:39:34

I would like to see a hate crime category added to flagging videos because none of the existing categorys are really appropriate.

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 15:47:55 (edited 2020-06-04 15:49:16)

I really know one thing, This is making America very Chaotic! They forgot one thing, back in 2009 when Obama was Sworn in the white House, What happened? Oh yeah, Tea Party protests and Iran Protests. Guess what? The Tea Party was funded by Conservative and the Republicans. Today, with this issue I just wanna say that it's horrible right now! I dislike Politics because it's like that South Park episode saying a "Giant Douche or a turd Sandwich" Basically, that's U.S. Politics Today! Both sides have their fair share of Arguments, Racial Slurs and Homophobic actions been called out for both sides. I just wanted you guys to know, that if you want America to have a Different Party or Group run America. Watch the Series "Designated Survivor" Tell me how freaking Difficult it is for a 3rd Party or other to run the USA! It's not easy. Most of my current enemies are either "Independent or other" because they've realized both sides screwed up. No Party is perfect and I somewhat support the BLM movement, I know it sounds Redundant but I am a large minority in this Country getting the World's Minority or the Crazy Majority in this Country. Life isn't going to change unless we as a whole Change, Sure I live in a Liberal Area. I was once like most folks for thinking somewhat Conservative back then. That all changed because Time taught me, I became an Atheist, I sorted my Sexuality and best of all, I am somewhat happy! Rioting isn't solving anything, It's only making the Problem even worse. I just hope that people will have a sense of mind, people die everyday in some areas. While this Stimulus is like a small napkin to a guy with broken legs. It's Demeaning to say, but a bunch of Philosophers said this in the past with messing with China and I'll take their word for it. I'll say this in English "China and America Fighting and Arguing with each other is like having a Grizzly bear and a Panda-like Tiger fighting, They're both gonna get hurt and neither will benefit the outcome of this Treacherous violence!" This is what is happening now, and Wuhan is like the Empire state Building in the USA. A popular Attraction but also a Hostile area, What I mean by that is, they have a high Suicide rate! Why? Even with the large Fence people still find a way to jump off the Empire State Building, For Wuhan Some say Feng Shui but reality is, that area is brutal when it comes to Survival. Yet, People seem to dislike me because that I am Asian. Well, I was born in the States and I never been to China in general! Sorry for going for a bit off-topic but it's just Chaos right now. Good Luck for everyone in the earth that has survived this Covid-19 outcome. If people could just meditate or close their eyes and breathe with or without a N95 Mask they can realize what's wrong with their environment! Let's start with that, shall we?

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 16:00:50

Thank you, Tom. Lotta love for you.

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 16:03:20

This is really a really mature and sensible stance I feel. More site owners and large creators with statements like this would do a lot of good. Also @luis should just then the rizzo pixel drawing into an enlightening infographic pixel art with stylish pixel text, it wouldnt even take long and is a very easy way To alchemically transform the old art into a still meaningful and not shameful statement

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 16:05:13

At 6/4/20 04:03 PM, Boss wrote: This is really a really mature and sensible stance I feel. More site owners and large creators with statements like this would do a lot of good. Also @luis should just then the rizzo pixel drawing into an enlightening infographic pixel art with stylish pixel text, it wouldnt even take long and is a very easy way To alchemically transform the old art into a still meaningful and not shameful statement

Its gone boss, donezo. I deleted it in anger. I can make masterpieces some other day.

Tom im tired of this pink, can you just change my user account to orangey. its starting to hurt my eye.

None

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 17:51:09

At 6/4/20 04:05 PM, Luis wrote: Tom im tired of this pink, can you just change my user account to orangey. its starting to hurt my eye.

iu_129046_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 18:12:36

Well put! Glad to see your take on things, and hope you're staying safe.

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 19:01:19

I'm half black, been on both sides of the law and I've been fortunate enough that I haven't been treated as poorly by NYPD ( Multiples times for jumping turnstiles).

Also, people who keep saying "All Lives Matter" etc doesn't really get it. I used to say the same thing back when the riots in Ferguson back in 2014, but now I see that all lives wont matter UNTIL black lives matter. There's so many systems in place that was (unintentionally) set up for this to happen.

• Trump Administration's poor/late response to COVID-19
  • the systems meant to protect American citizens (unemployment + police) has straight up failed us.
  • Businesses who were most likely fucked cuz of covid are now double fucked if their place got looted

It's a real damn shame. USA is a death cult that enjoys getting off on the suffering of the american people.

We can't do much to change this, but It's so important to at least help in some form. I've only donated to one GoFundMe for funeral costs of a protester, but I feel that the best I can do is help pick the pieces back up.

can't see how anyone is willing to still support Trump after that photo op shit either.

play Etehfowr Against

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 20:05:58

Thanks for shining light on the current US-state even on NG, it's something that goes even beyond the US at this point, as many countries in the (western) world see protesting for BLM and whatnot. Exciting and scary times all over the place, this year is crazy thus far...

Anyway, the pink is really nice, but from a readability-perspective it seem to get somewhat blurred, with my eyes instead. Maybe sharpen the edges or something to make it, well, sharper? :3

Wakka wakka

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 20:14:16

Thanks for speaking out Tom you're the best!

At 6/4/20 08:05 PM, Rucklo wrote: Anyway, the pink is really nice, but from a readability-perspective it seem to get somewhat blurred, with my eyes instead. Maybe sharpen the edges or something to make it, well, sharper? :3

get some glasses old man

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 20:38:24

At 6/4/20 04:05 PM, Luis wrote:
At 6/4/20 04:03 PM, Boss wrote: This is really a really mature and sensible stance I feel. More site owners and large creators with statements like this would do a lot of good. Also @luis should just then the rizzo pixel drawing into an enlightening infographic pixel art with stylish pixel text, it wouldnt even take long and is a very easy way To alchemically transform the old art into a still meaningful and not shameful statement
Its gone boss, donezo. I deleted it in anger. I can make masterpieces some other day.

Tom im tired of this pink, can you just change my user account to orangey. its starting to hurt my eye.

Tom should change your color scheme to a bright mesmerizing and confusing shifting tye dye gif color underlay to prank you and the hover on every element on the page is set so that everything your mouse goes towards wiggles away. also its autoplaying very loud jerry garcia music and the page is locked from being muted and you have very urgent messages popping up to emotionally rope you in to wrestling with the interface

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 20:59:25

Sometimes it feels like Newgrounds is a site for trolls, so it's always nice to see a post like this with so much heart <3

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 23:42:17

Well said, mate! It's been very eye-opening (and disturbing) watching all of this unfold in the US, from here in Australia. Stay safe. Hopefully the turmoil results in some positive change for you fine folks.

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-04 23:49:13 (edited 2020-06-05 00:01:04)

Thanks for this Tom, you're a cool dude. It's nice to see someone take time to understand the situation better, reading up on what's happening rather than posting another exaggerated, aggressive, biased and insincere post to get likes online. I barely know anything about what's happening or the history of this already existing issue, I'll need to learn more. Will start with these links lol.

I think it's a step in the right direction to be honest and communicate, rather than engage in bandwagon rage. Obviously for those who are affected, they have every right to be furious, It just seems like people have a shouting contest and it distracts everyone from the problem or what the hell can be done to change what's happening.

Honestly have to admit I've avoided and cringed at some BlackLivesMatter posts and attributed it to virtue signalling, but I can see that's a stupid thought. Appreciate this post, hopefully I'll be a little less naive.

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 00:31:08

I had the attitude that it's probably a tiny number of bad cops that make headlines while the good deeds of a vast majority of reasonably unprejudiced cops go unnoticed or taken for granted, and that police racism is probably not really so rampant that sweeping reforms are called for or would be likely to be productive.

Then I looked at the Department of Justice's Ferguson Report on the Ferguson police department after Michael Brown was killed and realized that even if people are generally good, putting them into a broken system can ruin them, and that needs to be fixed. But in order to fix something you first have to understand it instead of just talking out your ass without knowing what's going on.

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 01:04:15

The news is never worth listening to.

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 03:58:02 (edited 2020-06-05 03:59:06)

All 10 of us in Belgium are very worried for the US. We hope you all get well soon and this resolves in a good way.

At 6/4/20 06:05 AM, Dunso wrote: Heterogeneous societies are inherently confused, suspicious and unstable. We're a thousand wrong turns into history, that's all I can manage to feel about this.

I can see truth in this.

Edit: I just googled a Heterogeneous society. Are you implying we should have segregated countries?

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 07:28:02 (edited 2020-06-05 07:29:10)

Based on how all the news is putting it, I think this is just a bunch of BS.

At 6/5/20 01:04 AM, Cabbster wrote: The news is never worth listening to.

I mean, you're not wrong.

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 09:27:51

At 6/4/20 02:28 PM, Kieran wrote: Tbh even though im black myself im tired of seeing black lives matter all over social media. Just tell the police to stop killing black people as if white people are less dangerous

Don't worry, they'll suddenly vanish in a puff of smoke like they did after sabotaging Bernie Sanders.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 11:32:39 (edited 2020-06-05 11:38:32)

Naturally, I'm skeptical about all of this. A controlled effort to start some kind of race war? No thanks.

There is no disrespect or hate towards any community from me but we shouldn't need a TV or media outlets to tell us right from wrong. If people weren't so busy living in the mental land of their minds, they would trust their gut feelings and know what feels right or wrong.

Why did the camera man do nothing?

Why did a snuff video go viral?

I have major problems with this and some other things, like Floyd's Order out of Chaos emblem tattoo... but absolutely, you should not be afraid to show your solidarity and respect for each other. You don't need a protest or a movement to do that though. If anything you need the opposite; a concerted effort to build a community.

Ultimately, we're dealing with a war on the poor. This is what Yellow Vests was all about but there was almost no reporting on that, or the police brutality there. Why? It lasted over a year!

Coronachan should have showed you, their real sentiment is...

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 11:32:56

Oh hey, everyone is drinking the goddamn censorship hatorade on a day ending in Y

I really wish you'd just lock yourselves in the closet because you cannot handle the world..

That is, lock yourself into the closet, never go outside, and not bother us with your presence ever again.

Snowflakes.

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 11:34:12

This was needed.

It only took about ~!500 people to put Trump in his underground bunker.

For a bit, we actually got shit right.

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 13:12:56

At 6/3/20 01:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: I don’t dive into politics too often on NG nowadays and I know a lot of people appreciate that NG is a haven from the total shitshow that happens elsewhere on social media. A lot has been happening in America this past week but really it’s been happening for generations and this week is an opportunity to pause and think about where we’re at in this current moment.

I don’t have all the answers but I want to stand in solidarity with those seeking change. Black lives matter - try saying it! Maybe you’re afraid someone will think you’re virtue signaling, or that you’ll be made fun of because of course RACISM = BAD and you don’t want to look like an NPC. Stop worrying about those people for a minute. Life is interesting because sometimes you get tired of people for being too self-righteous but the opposite can also happen, where you get tired of people trying to silence voices that need to be heard. We should all be listening more and antagonizing each other less right now.

Here are some things I read this week:

How to Make this Moment the Turning Point for Real Change - A Medium post by Obama, I think he can address a lot of this better than I can.

How the Philadelphia Police Chilled Out About Protesters - This is an article from 2016 that I found while thinking back about the 2000 RNC protests in Philly. I attended the protest with Shok to film a segment for Troma’s Edge TV. I don’t think we ever ended up using the footage but it was an eye opening experience, being my first time in a protest crowd. Despite some fires and vandalism by the Black Bloc types (white kids btw), the crowd was largely well-intentioned people who wanted to make the world a better place. The only real danger I found myself in was almost getting trampled by a police officer on a horse. The things I witnessed inspired my Police Bike game.

Reading this article made me curious about the lessons learned in 2000 and how many of those lessons survived to 2020. Which leads me to this article:

In Camden, police and protesters take a different path after George Floyd’s killing - Camden is right across the river from Philly. Camden was America’s Most Dangerous City five years ago. Since then, they’ve had a complete overhaul of the police department, demilitarizing and shifting to a community policing model that rebuilt trust between the community and their officers. The police marched with the protesters in Camden, rather than forming barricades and antagonizing the crowd.

Is it Time to Defund the Police? - Article about the movement to change how money is allocated towards public safety. There’s a bunch of articles on this topic this week.

Police don’t have an easy job; you can get shot or stabbed in an instant. If a person is trying to kick your door down, you want to be able to call someone. You can care about the police and still want to see change. I think about the phrase “a more perfect Union” in the Constitution; you can love something but want to make it better. Progress comes in waves, too, because people learn, then die and the people replacing them need to learn as well. 100% of the important lessons don’t get passed along to 100% of the people and the growing spread of misinformation on-line is REALLY complicating things because everyone has their own set of facts nowadays.

Do you have any articles from this week that you’d like to share here? Curious to see what the rest of you have been reading.

Great stuff, Tom.

I've got not an article, but a video by Heather Heying that expresses what many feel but fear to express due to how volatile social media can be.

Thank you for everything.

Failure at not procrastinating made this post possible.

(awesome pixel gorilla by BigBossErndog)

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 13:17:05

America is an idea.

It is difficult to kill an Idea, because ideas are invisible and contagious. Holding onto an idea is your right, and no one has the right to stop you from spreading your ideas.

You should be able to freely protest, sing, rage, dramatize, or interpretive dance your ideas if you want to. And you should be free to deny, and argue against ideas which you don't believe in.

I believe you should be free to share your ideas without the fear of losing an eye to a trigger happy objector that sees you as a lesser being. Or having your children tortured with mace or pepper spray.

A dictator silences dissenting voices, and uses forceful displays of power, because they understand that ideas are invisible and contagious, and so is fear.

Fear of arrest, fear of death, fear of abuse by the hands of those sworn to serve and protect you. This fear is so contagious it becomes systemic, it is taught to children in poor neighborhoods to keep them safe, and give them a better chance in life. They teach children to live in fear to protect them from ideas that have been spread for generations.

Support your local peaceful protesters. And remember, it's not enough to not be racist. You must spread the idea that racism is wrong, and take action against the ideas that you find unfair and disturbing. Thanks for being an open platform for everyone Tom.

Visit JackSmack.com and submit your Flash Games!

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 13:31:15 (edited 2020-06-05 13:42:27)

Let me start by say this

• All people have rights (this includes life, property, protest,& fair trial)
  • To make good decision one has to think critically
  • This is not condoning police brutality (bad behavior should and is tried in a court of law)

I feel a bit scared to say this but, I disagree with the "Black Lives Matter" Movement. To me it seems like both the premise that "USA is Institutionally Racist" is factually wrong (I see no law that enforces racist action). And the actions by "Black Lives Matter" I have seen violate the rights (namely the Destruction of Property, Battery, & Murder). I think you should watch this.

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 14:23:46 (edited 2020-06-05 14:24:07)

Your commander in chief will hopefully use his authority and put an end to the anarchy in the streets. This could end incredibly fast, it requires the right actions.

"خيبر خيبر يايهود جيش محمد سوف يعود"

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 14:32:43

At 6/5/20 11:32 AM, AcidX wrote: Naturally, I'm skeptical about all of this. A controlled effort to start some kind of race war? No thanks.

Not commenting on any of the other stuff, but this really stuck out.

Did you really just ask why a teenage girl didn't act out and try to physically stop 4 armed men while they murdered someone? So like, if you were in that situation you would have used force to stop this? What would you have done?

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 14:34:30

I'll add this as my window to edit closed:

It's been a bit frustrating from my POV, as I live in a place that can hardly be called privileged by any American standard. This is a country riddled with corruption and abuse of power. Riots are not a rare thing here and injustices are just normal. It's been specially frustrating because, once again, the US takes the spotlight, even in local media, as if we didn't have problems of our own and as if problems there have priority over the absolute poverty of the Argentinian north (not poverty as in a poor neighborhood, poverty as in entire sections of the country living in shanty towns or worse), the crushing economic situation of the country (1USD = 120ARS and counting), the thin edge on top of which our democracy balances or the authoritarian nature our politicians are displaying. I cannot leave my house to go for a walk or the police will take me away, I cannot see any loved ones in person, I cannot go to the park. I'm effectively a prisoner in my own place and this will go on for at least another month (we have the longest lockdown so far).

We have our own George Floyd, a guy by the name of Luis Espinoza. Killed by the police and thrown at the border of the neighboring province to shift blame. We can't go out and protest for him, lest we get shot. Bullets fly fast in the third world.

It's been hurtful to see people retweet shit from the Venezuelan government, just because they are bashing Trump. Don't you know anything that happens outside the US? Have you not seen how Venezuelans flee their country because they are being horribly oppressed there? Shame on anyone who amplifies the voices of oppression and fascism.

I think the US can deal with this. If you can't, then welcome to the rest of the Americas, where stability is a foreign concept and democracy and constitutions are always up to interpretation.

Failure at not procrastinating made this post possible.

(awesome pixel gorilla by BigBossErndog)

BBS Signature

Response to America this Week 2020-06-05 15:07:39

At 6/5/20 02:32 PM, Fro wrote:
At 6/5/20 11:32 AM, AcidX wrote: Naturally, I'm skeptical about all of this. A controlled effort to start some kind of race war? No thanks.
Not commenting on any of the other stuff, but this really stuck out.

Did you really just ask why a teenage girl didn't act out and try to physically stop 4 armed men while they murdered someone? So like, if you were in that situation you would have used force to stop this? What would you have done?

You might regret asking that.... Acid is the local conspiracy theorist around here.