00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Masterbaiter60 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Phaser Game Jam!

22,946 Views | 61 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Attention game devs: We’re hosting a Phaser Jam!

Phaser is a free, open-source, desktop and mobile HTML5 game framework. It’s been around a few years now and has matured quite nicely with great community support and frequent updates.

Newgrounds dev @PsychoGoldfish has been experimenting with it for quite some time and says it’s currently his favorite HTML5 game framework. It’s also worth noting that Phaser was created by @PhotonStorm, who made the lovely Cat Astro Phi here on Newgrounds. Phaser is 100% funded by the Phaser community so consider supporting it!

For this jam, all you need to do is make a game with Phaser, share it on Newgrounds by end of day February 16th and tag it with “PhaserJam2020” so we don't miss it.

Our three favorite games will each receive $100 as a thank you for participating in the jam!

NOTE: We can't host games with unlicensed commercial music (e.g. songs from the radio). Our Audio Portal is a great resource with a lot of free to use music; check underneath each song for creative commons / usage information. We also host an expansive list of Royalty Free Music Resources.

Newgrounds API for Medals and Scores

If you’d like to try our API for high scores and/or medals, you can find it at newgrounds.io. Any questions about that can be answered in the Newgrounds API Help & Support thread.

Jam Logo

@JohnnyUtah has made a logo for this jam! You’re welcome to pop this at the start of your game, resize it or leave it out if it kills your vibe. If you’re down to make it clickable, link to the Phaser Jam 2020 page here on Newgrounds. Doing this will help everyone in the jam get more eyes on their games! 

Logo downloads: Full size, half size 24-bit, half size 8-bit and a wacky retro version

We look forward to playing your games! If you’ve never made a game with Phaser, this is a great opportunity to take it for a spin. There are various learning resources on the Phaser site to help you get started. If you have any questions, you can ask in this thread. 

@PsychoGoldfish has been creating some great Phaser tutorials, such as Getting Started with PhaserAnimating Sprites with Phaser as well as buttons and user input. He also made a Phaser Jam preloader!

You’re also welcome to share links to your game or ongoing progress in this thread! Our project system allows you to set permissions for who can see your preview build, if you’d like to make it public and link to it here. You can also discuss your game and get help via the Game-Jam channel in the Phaser Discord!

Happy jamming!

iu_86253_1.png

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 09:44:51 (edited 2020-01-17 09:47:21)

First

(Take that, Luis)

Happy jamming, everyone! Most likely not much I'll do since I'm always on mobile these days, but I do hope there's a great turnout!

"We must fight against the machines"-The Ninja Society of Newgrounds | Join me in worship!

Name sig by Decky, Gods sig by Jackho

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 10:16:58

Worth adding that Phaser has a friendly and active Discord, with a game-jam specific channel, so if you need any playtesting (or coding help) drop-by and give us a shout!

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 10:28:36

At 1/17/20 10:16 AM, PhotonStorm wrote: Worth adding that Phaser has a friendly and active Discord, with a game-jam specific channel, so if you need any playtesting (or coding help) drop-by and give us a shout!

Oh cool, I've added that link to the main post now too!

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 11:05:55

If anyone needs a voice actor for any of these awesome things happening. Let me know.

Inb4luis

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 11:13:30

been waitin on this jam so that I have an excuse to mess around with Phaser

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 12:01:32

I've been using phaser for some time I might send in my game I made using a tutorial. I'm still new to phaser, but I have some experience with phaser.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 12:35:06

At 1/17/20 09:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: Attention game devs: We’re hosting a Phaser Jam!

Phaser is a free, open-source, desktop and mobile HTML5 game framework. It’s been around a few years now and has matured quite nicely with great community support and frequent updates.

Newgrounds dev @PsychoGoldfish has been experimenting with it for quite some time and says it’s currently his favorite HTML5 game framework. It’s also worth noting that Phaser was created by @PhotonStorm, who made the lovely Cat Astro Phi here on Newgrounds. Phaser is 100% funded by the Phaser community so consider supporting it!

For this jam, all you need to do is make a game with Phaser, share it on Newgrounds by end of day February 16th and tag it with “PhaserJam2020” so we don't miss it.

Our three favorite games will each receive $100 as a thank you for participating in the jam!

NOTE: We can't host games with unlicensed commercial music (e.g. songs from the radio). Our Audio Portal is a great resource with a lot of free to use music; check underneath each song for creative commons / usage information. We also host an expansive list of Royalty Free Music Resources.

Bonus Opportunity:

Thursday, January 23rd is Pixel Day on Newgrounds and the best game wins $100. If you crank out a game with pixel art in the next week, you can release it on Pixel Day and be eligible for the Best Pixel Day Game prizes while still being eligible for a Phaser Jam prize!

If you’ve already made a pixel art game (with Phaser or ANY framework) that wouldn’t be part of this jam, you can still upload it on Pixel Day and be eligible for the Best Pixel Day Game prize. You’ll also make Pixel Day more fun for everyone here.

To participate in Pixel Day, upload your game on January 23rd with the “PixelDay2020” tag.

Newgrounds API for Medals and Scores

If you’d like to try our API for high scores and/or medals, you can find it at newgrounds.io. Any questions about that can be answered in the Newgrounds API Help & Support thread.

Jam Logo

@JohnnyUtah has made a logo for this jam! You’re welcome to pop this at the start of your game, resize it or leave it out if it kills your vibe. If you’re down to make it clickable, link to the Phaser Jam 2020 page here on Newgrounds. Doing this will help everyone in the jam get more eyes on their games! 

Logo downloads: Full size, half size 24-bit, half size 8-bit and a wacky retro version. 

We look forward to playing your games! If you’ve never made a game with Phaser, this is a great opportunity to take it for a spin. There are various learning resources on the Phaser site to help you get started. If you have any questions, you can ask in this thread. 

You’re also welcome to share links to your game or ongoing progress in this thread! Our project system allows you to set permissions for who can see your preview build, if you’d like to make it public and link to it here. You can also discuss your game and get help via the Game-Jam channel in the Phaser Discord!

Happy jamming!

I would join but I don’t know how to code.

It's me

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 13:07:57

At 1/17/20 12:35 PM, Tiltro wrote: I would join but I don’t know how to code.

Now's a good time to learn!

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 13:15:54

Putting myself out for music! If anyone would like to have music written for your entry, hit me up; my inbox is open!

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-17 16:05:34

At 1/17/20 01:07 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
At 1/17/20 12:35 PM, Tiltro wrote: I would join but I don’t know how to code.
Now's a good time to learn!

But how?

It's me

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-18 03:43:51

At 1/17/20 11:13 AM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: been waitin on this jam so that I have an excuse to mess around with Phaser

Can I team up with you—

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-18 13:33:47

Awesome! I'll try out Phaser for sure - stay tuned for my game! Also, that jam-logo by @JohnnyUtah looks fantastic!!

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-18 13:41:37

At 1/18/20 01:33 PM, Wiesi wrote: Awesome! I'll try out Phaser for sure - stay tuned for my game! Also, that jam-logo by @JohnnyUtah looks fantastic!!

Can't wait to see what you make! Mike and I tested a bunch of your old games with Ruffle this week, it will still need some time but a lot of them will likely be working in the near future.

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-18 14:12:15

At 1/18/20 01:41 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/18/20 01:33 PM, Wiesi wrote: Awesome! I'll try out Phaser for sure - stay tuned for my game! Also, that jam-logo by @JohnnyUtah looks fantastic!!
Can't wait to see what you make! Mike and I tested a bunch of your old games with Ruffle this week, it will still need some time but a lot of them will likely be working in the near future.

That's really super cool news! Some days ago I tried your R-Type like space shooter, which you converted with Ruffle - it was a blast to play!!

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-18 18:26:57

Looks cool! If you find a way to input any character voices, hit me up, I'm happy to help anybody!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-19 20:13:10

Yo, I wont be digging into the actual dev part of this because I have a small peanut-brain for developing games, but hit me up if you are participating and need some custom SFX or music!

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/sexy-potatoman

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-20 09:47:09

At 1/17/20 04:05 PM, Tiltro wrote:
At 1/17/20 01:07 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Now's a good time to learn!
But how?

https://phaser.io/learn

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-20 09:47:41

Looking forward to what groovy creations we get with this. Also hoping lotsa medals...

Feels like the most co-ordinated jam in a while. Logo and everything. Plus viable Flash alternatives getting introduced already here, maybe it's the start of a year-long alternative-introduction-phase hmm... 2020 be starting well.

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-20 15:50:17

I may take a little time this week and make some sample stuff on my blog people can steal if they need some inspiration.

If you're interested, you better follow me so you get notified.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-21 02:00:19

This sounds really fun. Looking forward to checking all the submissions out.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-21 22:28:24

The Phaser website suggests that if you're coming from a Flash/AS3 background, you might want to try TypeScript. Can anyone explain why do that, instead of Javascript?

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-24 19:37:51

At 1/21/20 10:28 PM, KyleRoberts wrote: The Phaser website suggests that if you're coming from a Flash/AS3 background, you might want to try TypeScript. Can anyone explain why do that, instead of Javascript?

TypeScript is a strict subset feedback when of JavaScript. Since everything is typecast, you can get more immediate feedback, code hinting and auto-complete if you are coding in something like Visual Studio.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I prefer basic JavaScript myself.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-24 19:38:22

At 1/20/20 03:50 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I may take a little time this week and make some sample stuff on my blog people can steal if they need some inspiration.

If you're interested, you better follow me so you get notified.

As promised, here's my first Phaser blog: https://psychogoldfish.newgrounds.com/news/post/1083562

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-25 03:26:10

Looks interesting, and keeping the bloat down in web games seems valuable.

Although I don't know if I have an idea small enough to fit into the jam. Some of you peeps can do this game jam thing way better than I can..

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-27 13:55:49 (edited 2020-01-27 14:08:08)

Hey so this is probably a goofy question but... How do you upload Phaser games to NG?

My project is set up exactly the way @PsychoGoldfish said to in his recent blog post, and I've made a .zip archive of the index and the js and lib folders (I am certain that the index is in the root of the zip archive) but when I upload it to an NG project I get a 403 Forbidden error in the preview window.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Actually I think I figured it out. My index was a ".htm" and I hadn't noticed. I changed it to ".html" and that seems to have worked.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-29 09:22:11 (edited 2020-01-29 09:22:25)

At 1/27/20 01:55 PM, GoodL wrote: EDIT: Actually I think I figured it out. My index was a ".htm" and I hadn't noticed. I changed it to ".html" and that seems to have worked.

Interesting. Probably not so in this case, but for any games that move between files, choose your own adventure type ones for example, this workaround might pose a navigation problem...

Would be neat if the project system could recognize index.htm as an index file as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-01-29 13:16:33

Got another tutorial together that should make sprite management and animation a bit easier to understand.

https://psychogoldfish.newgrounds.com/news/post/1084093

Later this week I'll try and get a generic boilerplate together with a fancy Phaser Jam preloader so you guys can just focus on making games.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-05 18:56:57

At 1/29/20 01:16 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Got another tutorial together that should make sprite management and animation a bit easier to understand.
https://psychogoldfish.newgrounds.com/news/post/1084093

Later this week I'll try and get a generic boilerplate together with a fancy Phaser Jam preloader so you guys can just focus on making games.

It's a bit late, but I got the Phaser Jam boilerplate (preloader, etc) all set up for anyone that wants to jump into the good stuff.

https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/7532f14d83997803cd18938407e4afb7

It's based on all the stuff in my tutorials, but refactored a bit so you can do the majority of your configuration in the main.js file (which now has the preloader scenes baked in).

Hopefully it's all fairly self-explanatory. I kept it pretty well documented.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-06 17:40:15

If anyone needs a voice actor I'd be happy to contribute! Whether it's character work, narration, or anything else - I'd love to be a part of it!

Need a voice actor? Check out my site. I've taken classes from veteran FUNimation directors and voiced in video games and anime, like RDR2 and One Piece.