00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Keithen05 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Phaser Game Jam!

22,973 Views | 61 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-06 18:12:09

A bit late to seeing this but if anyone needs music composed, I'd love to help out!

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-06 22:37:17 (edited 2020-02-06 22:39:30)

If anybody needs a voice actor for their game I'd be more than happy to help out:

Resume: https://www.pierceriola.com/resume.html

I love being able to help out Indie Game Developers so just shoot me a message on here or Discord (Kyotosomo#7777) and I can get you the audio within 24 hours of it being requested!

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-06 23:39:49

ConnorGrail and I have a game that's mostly done but could use some artistry: background art and/or sprites for a space themed game. Shoot me a PM if you want to preview it and see if it looks up your alley. (Since the game's pretty much done already you know we're not gonna flake out :p)

Also a tip for any programmers out there trying to implement NewGrounds medals: if they don't work for you, I noticed that if I do like in the NG.io JS/HTML5 docs and check for nullness of ngio.user then it always gave null even if I was logged in so medals never worked, but if I instead checked ngio.session_id for nullness it worked fine, so try doing that instead. (And when I tried it without bothering to do any checking the game crashed if I played locally without logging into NG... I guess it wouldn't hurt your score since players can't vote if they're not logged in, but that's probably still not what you want.)

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 01:32:45

At 1/17/20 10:16 AM, PhotonStorm wrote: Worth adding that Phaser has a friendly and active Discord, with a game-jam specific channel, so if you need any playtesting (or coding help) drop-by and give us a shout!

I guess this'll be Flash's replacement

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 07:54:37

I have 8 and 16 bit music for anyone interested!

At 1/17/20 09:10 AM, TomFulp wrote: Attention game devs: We’re hosting a Phaser Jam!

Phaser is a free, open-source, desktop and mobile HTML5 game framework. It’s been around a few years now and has matured quite nicely with great community support and frequent updates.

Newgrounds dev @PsychoGoldfish has been experimenting with it for quite some time and says it’s currently his favorite HTML5 game framework. It’s also worth noting that Phaser was created by @PhotonStorm, who made the lovely Cat Astro Phi here on Newgrounds. Phaser is 100% funded by the Phaser community so consider supporting it!

For this jam, all you need to do is make a game with Phaser, share it on Newgrounds by end of day February 16th and tag it with “PhaserJam2020” so we don't miss it.

Our three favorite games will each receive $100 as a thank you for participating in the jam!

NOTE: We can't host games with unlicensed commercial music (e.g. songs from the radio). Our Audio Portal is a great resource with a lot of free to use music; check underneath each song for creative commons / usage information. We also host an expansive list of Royalty Free Music Resources.

Newgrounds API for Medals and Scores

If you’d like to try our API for high scores and/or medals, you can find it at newgrounds.io. Any questions about that can be answered in the Newgrounds API Help & Support thread.

Jam Logo

@JohnnyUtah has made a logo for this jam! You’re welcome to pop this at the start of your game, resize it or leave it out if it kills your vibe. If you’re down to make it clickable, link to the Phaser Jam 2020 page here on Newgrounds. Doing this will help everyone in the jam get more eyes on their games! 

Logo downloads: Full size, half size 24-bit, half size 8-bit and a wacky retro version. 

We look forward to playing your games! If you’ve never made a game with Phaser, this is a great opportunity to take it for a spin. There are various learning resources on the Phaser site to help you get started. If you have any questions, you can ask in this thread. 

@PsychoGoldfish has been creating some great Phaser tutorials, such as Getting Started with Phaser and Animating Sprites with Phaser. He also made a Phaser Jam preloader!

You’re also welcome to share links to your game or ongoing progress in this thread! Our project system allows you to set permissions for who can see your preview build, if you’d like to make it public and link to it here. You can also discuss your game and get help via the Game-Jam channel in the Phaser Discord!

Happy jamming!

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 11:43:53

I've toyed with the idea of using a more hands on game framework instead of an IDE that does a lot of the work for me and includes a lot of bloat with the build, but I'm not sure. How does Phaser compare to something like Haxe / Haxeflixel?

Banner by @MigMoog

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 12:23:41

At 2/7/20 11:43 AM, mayorDump wrote: I've toyed with the idea of using a more hands on game framework instead of an IDE that does a lot of the work for me and includes a lot of bloat with the build, but I'm not sure. How does Phaser compare to something like Haxe / Haxeflixel?

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question but I wanted to let you and the thread know that there is a Haxe extern library for Phaser that was recently updated. I was thinking about using this as I prefer to use Haxe over JavaScript/TypeScript. I'm curious if this is still in the "spirit" of the jam, @Tom @PhotonStorm care to comment?

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 12:26:06

At 2/7/20 11:43 AM, mayorDump wrote: I've toyed with the idea of using a more hands on game framework instead of an IDE that does a lot of the work for me and includes a lot of bloat with the build, but I'm not sure. How does Phaser compare to something like Haxe / Haxeflixel?

If you want any real/compiler-time errors, you'd definitely want to use TypeScript or check out https://lib.haxe.org/p/haxe-phaser3/ for haxe bindings.

If you go the pure JS route, you'll probably be stuck doing most of your debugging at runtime. The tradeoff being, pure JS isn't very strict, and that can have other benefits (or pitfalls).

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 12:27:47

At 2/7/20 12:23 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't answer your question but I wanted to let you and the thread know that there is a Haxe extern library for Phaser that was recently updated. I was thinking about using this as I prefer to use Haxe over JavaScript/TypeScript. I'm curious if this is still in the "spirit" of the jam, @Tom @PhotonStorm care to comment?

End of the day, your game is still using Phaser. Go for it!

If anyone prefers working in an IDE, they could also check out https://phasereditor2d.com/

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 14:55:39

Seems like something made during a phase

Coolier than thou

Best Toon

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 15:28:48

Im ready to get this show on the road so im posting a link to my upcoming entry here with the hopes some of you can try it out and give any feedback. Its a first person shooter/fly sim called 'Horizon 6' - it has a simplified interface of dragging and touching/clicking to accomodate the flying and shooting which is pretty much all there is to it. Also, the hope is to keep it casual yet give an arcade classic feel. Its not done yet, almost, but yeah i want to use some more time to polish and fix anything that comes up before i submit. I have a neat leaderboard function in there so im hoping some of you all might check that also. Qs for newgrounds would be: is my music loop ok? Its a pretty obscure sample. Is the leader board ok? Its a small php script that does the sorting and saves the json that phaser preloads, it just needs to be hosted. Here's a link on my devsite to the game:

http://patricko.byethost9.com/lowrez/horizon6_scenes.html

Ive been having so much fun working on this, i love phaser and owe @photonstorm a huge debt of gratitude for fueling my hobby. I hope some you guys get a kick out of it, or at least it works ok!

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-07 15:47:41

At 2/7/20 03:28 PM, PatrickOReilly wrote: Im ready to get this show on the road so im posting a link to my upcoming entry here with the hopes some of you can try it out and give any feedback. Its a first person shooter/fly sim called 'Horizon 6' - it has a simplified interface of dragging and touching/clicking to accomodate the flying and shooting which is pretty much all there is to it. Also, the hope is to keep it casual yet give an arcade classic feel. Its not done yet, almost, but yeah i want to use some more time to polish and fix anything that comes up before i submit. I have a neat leaderboard function in there so im hoping some of you all might check that also. Qs for newgrounds would be: is my music loop ok? Its a pretty obscure sample. Is the leader board ok? Its a small php script that does the sorting and saves the json that phaser preloads, it just needs to be hosted. Here's a link on my devsite to the game:

http://patricko.byethost9.com/lowrez/horizon6_scenes.html

This is running well so far! My notes:

1) You asked about the music loop - if it's from a commercial song that could have licensing issues, it would be ideal to replace it with something else. Also I missed the speaker button the first time through and played without sound - I'd be tempted to default to sound playing in the game unless someone disables. That does get tricky though with browser sound being off by default and the title screen having music, unless you add a play button before your title screen.

2) I didn't realize I could drag to change elevation until I re-read your post. For desktop it feels like keyboard would be handy there, if you'd want to offer that as a secondary option so people could still drag on mobile.

3) The leaderboards seem fine! You could also check out our NG leaderboards API at newgrounds.io if you don't want to host your own.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-08 01:22:45

alright i just saw this. i have a total of 8 days to learn the framework, come up with a game idea, make sprites, and code the whole thing. fuck

I'm the funniest guy around yeha

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-08 12:23:46

Well I was gonna do this but I'm not old enough to get paid for something

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-08 13:16:52

At 2/8/20 12:23 PM, xXRileydaoneXx wrote: Well I was gonna do this but I'm not old enough to get paid for something

Do it anyways

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-08 19:24:29

If anyone needs a composer I'd be happy to help.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-09 03:34:38

I totes forgot Newgrounds hosts musiQ, I just uploaded my song "A Bad Salvia Trip (INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)", feel free to use it for your game, I'd love to hear my song in a game! ^_6 Good luQ everyone! ^_6

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-09 15:46:31

Aye my name is LA, I go to school full time as a student and but I'm not working atm so I have alot of free time. I'm good with composing original soundtracks and SFX sounds. I can make original 3D and 2D models. I want to dabble in voice acting and game dev. I'm willing to work with anyone, anytime. So hit my inbox and let's start a project whether it's on phaser or anything. ^.^

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-10 16:31:53

I've been working on my game, and realized some of the stuff I've coded to make input handling easier might benefit other developers.

Check out my latest blog to grab some classes for making simple buttons and wrapping user input so you can have multiple inputs control the same things easier.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-10 17:35:50

At 2/8/20 01:16 PM, GeoKureli wrote:
At 2/8/20 12:23 PM, xXRileydaoneXx wrote: Well I was gonna do this but I'm not old enough to get paid for something
Do it anyways

:You know what WHY THE FUCK NOT

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-11 12:15:59

When does the Game Jam begin and when is the submission deadline?

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-11 12:25:04

At 2/11/20 12:15 PM, trixelbit wrote: When does the Game Jam begin and when is the submission deadline?

The Jam is ongoing and the deadline is the 16th. We didn't go with any specific theme other than making a game with Phaser.

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-11 18:48:36

At 2/11/20 12:25 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 2/11/20 12:15 PM, trixelbit wrote: When does the Game Jam begin and when is the submission deadline?
The Jam is ongoing and the deadline is the 16th. We didn't go with any specific theme other than making a game with Phaser.

Hello, I just want to confirm the deadline is Feb 16, 11:59pm? Don't mean to be pedantic, but I only saw this now, and won't have time until the weekend, so every hour counts.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-11 19:23:55

At 2/11/20 06:48 PM, JinxSpell wrote:
At 2/11/20 12:25 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Hello, I just want to confirm the deadline is Feb 16, 11:59pm? Don't mean to be pedantic, but I only saw this now, and won't have time until the weekend, so every hour counts.

Yup! We aren’t super picky due to time zones - basically if it’s here by Monday morning it’s fine.

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-14 03:58:45

@TomFulp What's the policy on multiple submissions?

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-14 08:11:25

At 2/14/20 03:58 AM, GoodL wrote: @TomFulp What's the policy on multiple submissions?

Multiple submissions are ok.

BBS Signature

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-14 10:34:30

At 2/14/20 03:58 AM, GoodL wrote: @TomFulp What's the policy on multiple submissions?

My policy is HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ABLE TO MAKE MORE THAN ONE?

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-14 11:57:15

At 2/14/20 10:34 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: My policy is HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU ABLE TO MAKE MORE THAN ONE?

Ten percent luck,

Twenty percent skill,

Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,

Five percent pleasure,

Fifty percent pain,

And a hundred percent the fact that I frankly have no life.

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-14 20:49:38 (edited 2020-02-14 20:51:29)

In case anyone's trying to save data in their game and/or using localStorage:

I found out that if you use localStorage to save progress on a game you upload to NewGrounds then it most likely will work but there's a potential for other NewGrounds games to read from / write to / overwrite your save data unintentionally. IndexedDB has a better system for storing save data, but there aren't any good online guides to using IndexedDB in a Phaser game that I could find. I came up with a solution that doesn't take full advantage of IndexedDB's capabilities but does get it doing what you'd probably want for a Game Jam game, the code you can copy/paste into your game and a more detailed description of the underlying problem with localStorage are here. Disclaimer: I'm not a pro and just started learning JavaScript during this Game Jam so I might not fully understand what I'm doing or properly handle potential errors, but this seems to work fine in my game.

My newsfeed has random GameDev tips & tricks

Response to Phaser Game Jam! 2020-02-16 17:03:41

An old school side-scroller shooter by me, have been working on this for a couple of months. I hope you like it. Hint (each planet has its own boss with different mechanics!)