00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of August 2017!

7,336 Views | 18 Replies
Respond to this Topic

If you missed it, we updated our search last week! We've been releasing small improvements since the launch, as well.

Our Halloween Spooktacular is under way, with prizes for the best animation, game, art, song and story, along with some bonus prizes. You have until October 31st to enter but it's good to aim a few weeks ahead of Halloween, when everyone is the most excited!

Currently being organized: NG is hosting a month of space comedy, likely February, with (hopefully) new episodes of Starbarians, Captain Tardigrade, The Shooting Stars and Space James! I'm especially excited for this because February can be a bummer of a month and now we might all have something awesome to look forward to. This and Pixel Day in January should also help kick off a great 2018 for NG.

Your votes are in and the Best of August have been determined!

Top Five Animation

The top-ranked entry based on original material and winner of $250 is @gildedguy!

Top Five Games

Runner-up Animation

6. The Spongebob Squarepants Anime - OP 1
7. Crazy Conor McGregor 2
8. Razor Blades
9. The Mama Luigi Project - Super Mario World Reanimated Collab 2017
10. Glass Joe's Title Fight - ANIMATED MUSIC VIDEO by Starbomb Collab - Starbomb
11. Computer Takeover
12. Ghosts
13. A Manic Announcement
14. Banjo's New Pal
15. Dark Sauce PART 6 (Finale)
16. Game Grumps Animated: The Legend of Slurmp
17. 13 O'clock Action News
18. Strawberry Clock Rides the Train
19. Pizza Delivery
20. KawaiiBob WeeabooPants - Anime Teaser Trailer
21. Alien: Covenant (What if James Franco survived)
22. Sublo & Tangy Mustard #5 - Opposites
23. Jojo's Bizarre Whatever
24. Eggs + Toast
25. Metal Gear Owen Wilson
26. Pmation: "Clowning Around"
27. Pokemon Trainer VS A NeW PoKeMon?!
28. JOJO 30th Anniversary Collab
29. Singed and tear of goddess
30. Pmation: "Coffee Craze"
31. TD-Perfect As It Is
32. Sixth Grade Camp
33. Bad Trip
34. Mister President
35. Yo Mama!
36. SHORT CHOPS - Damsels in Distress
37. Super Conflict Maker
38. COPZILLA
39. KID BUU VS. GOKU AND VEGETA
40. The Puzzle Hunters: "ALAKAZAMIABLE"

Runner-up Games

6. EBF5 NPC Maker
7. Crypt Shyfter: Vortex
8. COLOUR RUSH
9. Blue Lights After Story
10. Color Hexagon
11. HE BEAT HER.
12. Berzerk'Hunt
13. A Sliding Thing
14. Running VoltGun
15. Cosmo Beat
16. Concierge Hero
17. Bring Back Meaning!
18. Bolls - Bend your Mind
19. Goat in The Cave
20. Songbird Symphony

The voter of the month and winner of honorary Supporter status is @Shifco!

Congrats to the winners and thank you everyone who participated in August. You make NG the cool place that it is.

If you enjoy everything going on around here, please consider becoming a Supporter! It's just $2.99 per month (please auto-renew monthly if you can) or $25 for the year and you get a bunch of cool perks. Not to mention NG gets to keep improving and supporting more creators!

Best of August 2017!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-11 17:03:05

Hell yea new Captain Tardigrade, 2018 already seems like its gonna be great

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-11 17:06:13

At 9/11/17 05:03 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: Hell yea new Captain Tardigrade, 2018 already seems like its gonna be great

No matter how horrible the rest of the world may be in February 2018, we'll have new episodes of some of our favorite shows here on NG. The site itself will be making cool progress between now and then as well!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-11 18:25:05 (edited 2017-09-11 18:25:58)

Nice I hope life is better in 2018

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-11 18:53:37

Congrats to the winners! Looking forward to a new starbarians!! (Obviously hehe since I myself am a barbarian.... Right. You get it.)

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-12 02:09:54

oh, uh
Thank yous for the supporter status ;^^
Congratulations to all of the winners this month, especially gildedguy
um...
..I was wondering for a while when the Newgrounds history would be updated, on the site wiki. You probably have bigger priorities, with your game launch incoming, but I just wanted to make sure that you haven't forgotten about it. I really did enjoy browsing through the Flash Portal History (despite the difficulty in finding it in the first place!), so I hope it will be updated someday.

I think this is my first forum post ever, so sorry if I somehow stepped over any unstated rules or whatnot
Anyways, cheers to Newgrounds, staying alive all this time

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-12 08:40:12

At 9/12/17 02:09 AM, Shifco wrote: ..I was wondering for a while when the Newgrounds history would be updated, on the site wiki. You probably have bigger priorities, with your game launch incoming, but I just wanted to make sure that you haven't forgotten about it. I really did enjoy browsing through the Flash Portal History (despite the difficulty in finding it in the first place!), so I hope it will be updated someday.

I think this is my first forum post ever, so sorry if I somehow stepped over any unstated rules or whatnot
Anyways, cheers to Newgrounds, staying alive all this time

I've always had a hard time going back to the history because there are some really depressing years in there that I never feel like writing about. I should start filling it out more before I forget too much, as well as the animation and games history. I'd like to have a better documentation of the history of audio and art as well, along with more stories that follow the rise and ongoing success of individuals from the community.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-12 11:40:36

There was a lot of really good animations this month, Congratz to the winners! :D

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-12 11:56:12

At 9/12/17 11:40 AM, yeahha wrote: There was a lot of really good animations this month, Congratz to the winners! :D

For real - I ended up extending the runner-up list to 40 because there are still lots of great ones down there.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-12 16:24:34

I really enjoyed the top 3 anims this month, in particular.

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-12 17:35:05 (edited 2017-09-12 17:37:36)

As a long time fan it's kinda disappointing the final Dark Sauce didn't get into the top ten, but damn if there wasn't some great stuff in the running!

As far as the history stuff goes, are there no animators who would be willing to guest write for the years you don't want to touch? Or is it a dedicated personal thing?

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-12 21:39:09

excellent movies+games, once again!
congrats to the winners!

(even tho i would love to see some CC movies winning a couple spots for august's best top 5 list...)

either way, i've seen many epic animations+cool stuff this august, and one of them was the really clever ''metal gear owen wilson''! what a nice idea! :) (and nicely executed too...)

so yeah, keep posting epic stuff, newgrounds! i love this place.

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-13 19:14:58

A bummer that the Mama Luigi project didn't make Top 5 considering lots of animators participated in it. </3
Do we have any clue as to who is going to make the Newgrounds Madness Day banner this year? I wouldn't want to see an older banner be reused this year; something new would be nice.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-13 20:22:32

At 9/12/17 08:40 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I've always had a hard time going back to the history because there are some really depressing years in there that I never feel like writing about....

the lows make the highs that much more savory. get raw with it!

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-13 22:18:22

At 9/12/17 08:40 AM, TomFulp wrote: I've always had a hard time going back to the history because there are some really depressing years in there that I never feel like writing about. I should start filling it out more before I forget too much, as well as the animation and games history. I'd like to have a better documentation of the history of audio and art as well, along with more stories that follow the rise and ongoing success of individuals from the community.

I would encourage you to do this (when you feel ready). It would be interesting to read an updated history of Newgrounds which tracks events leading up to the present day.

There may be depressing years--like this one--but logging into Newgrounds nowadays doesn't depress me. On the contrary, discovering new artists here makes me feel optimistic and I enjoy checking the site.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-14 08:14:59

At 9/13/17 07:14 PM, Cymbourine wrote: A bummer that the Mama Luigi project didn't make Top 5 considering lots of animators participated in it. </3
Do we have any clue as to who is going to make the Newgrounds Madness Day banner this year? I wouldn't want to see an older banner be reused this year; something new would be nice.

Expecting something new from Krinkels for the site skin!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-15 11:32:43

Space month sounds exciting. I haven't seen those latter two series yet, so I'll have to check them out. New Starbarians is always a good thing ;3

I was actually planning a "space month" of my own, that was going to happen this month, but kept getting delayed. Wasn't going to be anything too special since it'd just be space-themed episodes of AU Reviews, but now with this happening I was considering holding off on them until February. Idk if I want to hold off on them for that long though. Either way, it seems like February will be an exciting month.

Lots of cool stuff submitted this month too, it seems. I still need to catch up on a lot :/

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-09-18 00:57:22

Yay! GM is on there!

Not surprised NSP is on there.

Why do people think the Overwatch one is good?

If you lived thru the pandemic this is your wake up call to stop being a shithead.

Response to Best of August 2017! 2017-10-09 09:03:50 (edited 2017-10-09 09:03:58)

A pretty belated Congrats To The Winners! Some really great stuff here. Looks like an exceptional month.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature