00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians

5,821 Views | 90 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-15 04:58:50

I am starting this thread in response to what @Kalviter and @SourJovis proposed in the Scriptwriting Thread.

Now, it is just the 15th of July and we're not starting right away, but the idea is that once the scriptwriters come up with Draft 1, we can slowly start piecing together what is definite about the music and the lyrics: a beginning and an end, Pico's, Nene's and Darnell's themes. Then as the script is fleshed out more, we'd start more work. Now, evidently, there's always the Discord for voice chat or sharing sound samples quickly.

I am now going to tag all the lyricists, musicians and vocalists because this thread is going to concern all of us to varying degrees.

LYRICISTS
@BiPolarBeat
@Chris354
@Kalviter
@Kwing
@Mawnz
@Septyrikon
@Troisnyx

MUSICIANS
@1f1n1ty
@AceMantra
@alternativesolution
@Azhthar
@Biggyzoom
@BiPolarBeat
@Bosa
@Ceevro
@Chris354
@Ectisity
@EDM364
@EverReverb
@FGK2015
@Jassummisko
@jaysummers759885
@JordanKyser
@Kalviter
@LadyArsenic
@Mawnz
@MistyWaterflower
@NekoMika
@Rahmemhotep
@SourJovis
@SnowTeddy
@TheDukeofJuke
@Theepicosity
@ToxicGeek
@Troisnyx
@Whirlguy

VOCALISTS
@ChronoNomad
@Ectisity
@EDM364 (Vocaloid)
@Kalviter
@Kwing (RAP)
@LadyArsenic
@Mawnz
@Noves
@Rahmemhotep
@Saminat
@Troisnyx

---------

@Whirlguy has suggested the use of leitmotifs, little melodic fragments that form theming throughout OSTs and musicals and the like.

@rebekahamberclark wonders if we should start when Draft 1 is finished; my only concern of course is that we should plunge headlong into songwriting and wind up with waste when any one or two or more of our songs gets scrapped.

Anyway, discuss.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-15 08:42:13

Err...uh. Business! Numbers numbers numbers!

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-15 13:42:13

Well, first things first: who is going to make what songs? I know that is a stupid question to ask, but we need to know who is making what. We already discussed one collab planned (@JordanKyser and I), and we may have many, many more. All of us may be wondering, how do we know what exactly to make? Most of us may look at the drafts from the scriptwriters and that may give us some ideas, but this is, in fact, just a draft. The first and second drafts may give us some ideas, but most of them may not fit into the final script on the way down the road. Some of us have already agreed to share our old songs and use those, but what if we can make more? Like @Troisnyx said, the more stuff we can get done, the better the final project will be. I, myself, wouldn't settle for just one song. In fact, I might do other songs and probably still won't settle. In the end of my part of the process, as this would be for some other musicians, we may choose some old or new songs out and put other songs in. I would like to hear from what other people have to say about this and what their plans for the NGAP15 Audio Drama will be.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-15 13:59:44

At 7/15/17 01:42 PM, FGK2015 wrote: Well, first things first: who is going to make what songs? I know that is a stupid question to ask, but we need to know who is making what. We already discussed one collab planned (@JordanKyser and I), and we may have many, many more. All of us may be wondering, how do we know what exactly to make? Most of us may look at the drafts from the scriptwriters and that may give us some ideas, but this is, in fact, just a draft. The first and second drafts may give us some ideas, but most of them may not fit into the final script on the way down the road. Some of us have already agreed to share our old songs and use those, but what if we can make more? Like @Troisnyx said, the more stuff we can get done, the better the final project will be. I, myself, wouldn't settle for just one song. In fact, I might do other songs and probably still won't settle. In the end of my part of the process, as this would be for some other musicians, we may choose some old or new songs out and put other songs in. I would like to hear from what other people have to say about this and what their plans for the NGAP15 Audio Drama will be.

HOLD YOUR HORSES.

Breathe. In and out. Okay? Calm down.

Now, unless anyone suggests otherwise, this is how I imagine the process would go:

----

1) Unless specified in the draft or the script, EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE NEW ORIGINAL.

About this: Someone suggested a remake of a ParagonX9 track pre-draft, pre-anything to be fair. Then Whirlguy or SourJovis, I don't recall whom, but he suggested that if you want classic Audio Portal, go for FDA. Whether or not we will see a remake of an already existing track is up in the air right about now. It may not happen. My suggestion is, go by the script.

----

2) You don't want to make too many because as I told @SourJovis in the scriptwriting thread, you don't want the voice actors to have a mere walk-on part. A balancing act here is key. If anything, we should be talking about approximate durations of songs or dialogues or even mere background music.

----

3) If my knowledge of this is correct -- please correct me if I'm wrong, @Whirlguy -- back in the 20th Anniversary Collab people submitted the raw audio files, and sent it to the mixing team, or just one person to mix, to give it a good mixdown and master. The same will be done for voice-acting; the production guys will be last. Our primary function is to worry about what sounds we're putting into our music, and why. Our primary focus is the feel.

----

4) No one is going to be an island on this one, until and unless we decide so. The draft may drop hints as to which genres correspond to which sections, and then it's up to us to pitch in ideas, combine them, and see how well they work.
If you want to do this real-time, we have the Discord chat for that.

----

5) It'll also help if, according to what feel is indicated on the script, people can suggest stuff they've heard that sounds like it in their minds. If we work hard enough we can make stuff that does not sound.... quite like it. For instance, I always tend to go back to Weebl, Queen, Meat Loaf for awesome choral vocals, Nobuo Uematsu and team (Junya Nakano being one of said team) for ambience, etc. People are going to suggest different things so I may recommend this not be carried out in the thread, but on the Discord. If @Kalviter wants, he can set up an #influences channel for us to talk about it all there, so as not to be detracted from the actual composing work.

----

6) So everyone's gonna decide on ideas based on feel. We all talk about it, vote on the Discord, and then decide who collaborates with whom on which track(s). Considering there are many musicians and we have about an LP's worth of content to fill, our roles will either be:
a) MASSIVE group collaboration, or:
b) Say for instance people decide to drop a metal track with elements of EDM in it. I know, weird combination. So you wind up collaborating with some of the most unlikely people; it could be you, JordanKyser and someone else, I don't know, MetalRenard. If that's the case, then you three will be working on the track together and aim to reach a set duration for it.

----

7) What is definite right now is that a few tracks can be thought about or discussed. These are:

- your intro; bear in mind that there will most likely be narration on it

- Pico's, Nene's and Darnell's themes. Leitmotifs, little melodies that are recognisable, are key to making a good, cohesive audio anything.

- an amazing song somewhere in the middle which has Flash Gordon-esque choral vocals,

- your ending; also bear in mind that this'll likely be voiced over or narrated.

The rest is all up in the air. I'm sure we can start talking about all these things -- and by all means, WE SHOULD -- because we give life to what the script imagines. However, it's too early to even start on anything. We've only had you, me and TheDukeOfJuke reply to this thread.

No one is going to be an island on this one, until and unless we decide so. The draft may drop hints as to which genres correspond to which sections, and then it's up to us to pitch in ideas, combine them, and see how well they work. If you want to do this real-time, we have the Discord chat for that.

@Troisnyx is right. Not much of us have any idea for a song for NGAP15 Audio Drama yet. We have to wait a while until we know how the scripts are going to go. Right now, I am stuck on what to work on, so I will wait until we know what will be on the scripts.

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-15 15:07:26

At 7/15/17 02:58 PM, JordanKyser wrote: Right now, I am stuck on what to work on, so I will wait until we know what will be on the scripts.

Should we hold a brainstorming day on Discord once we know a bit more?

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-15 15:30:44

At 7/15/17 03:07 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 7/15/17 02:58 PM, JordanKyser wrote: Right now, I am stuck on what to work on, so I will wait until we know what will be on the scripts.
Should we hold a brainstorming day on Discord once we know a bit more?

I could go with that. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-15 15:58:16

I've made a #influences channel, good suggestion from @Troisnyx. I also highly encourage everyone in this group to follow the scriptwriting thread closely, even if you aren't contributing, just so you keep up with the ideas being thrown around and know what you'll be expected to do. Once we move on to the outline stage proper, I'll make a post here summarising the ideas we appear to be going with.

At 7/15/17 04:58 AM, Troisnyx wrote: @Whirlguy has suggested the use of leitmotifs, little melodic fragments that form theming throughout OSTs and musicals and the like.

To be more specific I was thinking of using a technique used by Pixar composer Michael Giacchino. He tries to define feelings stirred up by the story of "Up" in one chord and explores the rest of the composition from there. In our case this could be "Pico's Theme". My first proposition is to put the right chord up for discussion, as well as a BPM and a mix of fitting genres. Once those are decided on, we're going to need a placeholder rhythm (with the decided BPM in the style of a genre we decided on). Now comes the fun part: Several musicians decide on a solo instrument and submit a riff or melodic hook that plays along with the chord (We need to decide on an approximate length for this). After saving all these .wavs in a downloadable .zip file, these melodies can sneak its way back through the duration of the audio drama.

At 7/15/17 01:59 PM, Troisnyx wrote: Then Whirlguy or SourJovis, I don't recall whom, but he suggested that if you want classic Audio Portal, go for FDA.

That sounds like me lol.

back in the 20th Anniversary Collab people submitted the raw audio files, and sent it to the mixing team, or just one person to mix, to give it a good mixdown and master.

Correct. Nobody was allowed to touch the master channel of their own tracks. They simply mixed it, sent it over to me and I mastered all of it to the best of my ability.

Also here's a tl;dr version of Troisnyx' list:

1. Every song will be original unless specifically decided upon.
2. We can't have too many songs since it'll bring our voice drama out of balance.
3. Mixing is fine but mastering isn't our jurisdiction.
4. Each part has guidelines that should be followed, other than that there's lots of freedom.
5. We look for ways to convey our feelings within a composition.
6. Everyone might go solo but it's also possible for musicians to team up.
7. Several themes can already be created without a script.

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-15 20:49:06

At 7/15/17 08:00 PM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 7/15/17 04:58 AM, Troisnyx wrote: @Whirlguy has suggested the use of leitmotifs, little melodic fragments that form theming throughout OSTs and musicals and the like.
To be more specific I was thinking of using a technique used by Pixar composer Michael Giacchino. He tries to define feelings stirred up by the story of "Up" in one chord and explores the rest of the composition from there. In our case this could be "Pico's Theme".

Has anyone thought of the "Endless Handbag Loop"? I stumbled across this on Newgrounds SIM and it's been iconic in my mind since that day. According to the original author @FDA, it was from the NG front page. When I think of a theme for NG, this is it -- aside from DnB from the likes of ParagonX9.

@Rig also created a theme for Darnell

If we could bring NG theme and Pico's theme into the same key, it would be a great start. Listen to those fireworks explosions. If we go with the current blueprint, I think we might have a good leitmotif in the works.

@Troisnyx, if the opportunity comes, I'd love to team up with you over something like a boss battle theme. The style I best work in now is metal (synthy subgenres), but I've seen you come up with some absolutely riveting boss battle music, and your expertise with writing auxiliary percussion and keys is something I freaking dig. I have in mind some musical ideas based off of the handbag loop already.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

At 7/15/17 08:49 PM, EDM364 wrote: @Troisnyx, if the opportunity comes, I'd love to team up with you over something like a boss battle theme. The style I best work in now is metal (synthy subgenres), but I've seen you come up with some absolutely riveting boss battle music, and your expertise with writing auxiliary percussion and keys is something I freaking dig. I have in mind some musical ideas based off of the handbag loop already.

Then you have GOT to see these lyrics. No tune has been decided so I could very well imagine the midsection being Endless Handbag. It still is currently sung by Archetype-Z, but it could be changed to Nene if need be. (Nene with a British accent? Get outta here!)

Also, the version of Endless Handbag I'm thinking of is the full version:

Note the syncopation in the chords. That provides for some marvellous Queen-esque stuff we could do if we moved that to piano.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-16 02:26:13

At 7/16/17 01:44 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 7/15/17 08:49 PM, EDM364 wrote: @Troisnyx, if the opportunity comes, I'd love to team up with you over something like a boss battle theme. The style I best work in now is metal (synthy subgenres), but I've seen you come up with some absolutely riveting boss battle music, and your expertise with writing auxiliary percussion and keys is something I freaking dig. I have in mind some musical ideas based off of the handbag loop already.
endless meepbag

Here, a demonstration of what I was trying to say. No idea which key it's gonna go but this is already part-inspired by Queen, and part- by Meat Loaf in terms of feel.
https://instaud.io/167f

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-16 05:05:03

@Troisnyx, marry me. Figuratively, of course. I've been looking for that song for hours.

I figure I also might start doing midi work on a more tense, action-y few bits inspired by these integral themes. Will post anything I come up with for posterity.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-16 07:31:40

At 7/16/17 05:05 AM, EDM364 wrote: @Troisnyx, marry me. Figuratively, of course. I've been looking for that song for hours.

I figure I also might start doing midi work on a more tense, action-y few bits inspired by these integral themes. Will post anything I come up with for posterity.

As I said I would do, and because I believe you've gotta see it. Link goes to the Dumping Grounds.

The title is no longer INI:FLIPSPHERE./ but rather, Summoning Ones and Zeroes #Archetype-Z extracting, because the idea is that a reprise of this, albeit with #Darnell extracting in the final conflict, could -- emphasis on COULD come to use here.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-07-17 11:06:39

When you guys have a "mostly" finished song, please send me a PM so I can support you with mixing or anything of the sort. Let's get this right from the get go! :D
If the quality chain is maintained from start to finish, the final product will be that much better.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-06 12:49:38

So how many songs are there going to be in the audio drama? Please let me know so I can plan where they're going to be in the story. You can look at the outline here. The first two posts of August 2. It doesn't all have to be fixed yet. Some parts we can write as a spoken segment, you can later decide would work well as a song instead, but I think it's a good thing to have some indications where the main songs are going to be, so we'll know we have at least got a certain amount of songs. e.g. If you say we could do at least 5 songs, we can put them in. If you decide later you need more songs, just see what parts of the story could be told in song instead of just acted.

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-06 15:35:41

Just putting in some notice that I'm gone for 10 days, I'm looking forward to seeing what we have when I'm back

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-07 19:23:18

Guys need an extra vocalist or producer? I wouldn't mind jumping in on this

DM me if you want a review!

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-07 19:29:25

At 8/7/17 07:23 PM, Spadezer wrote: Guys need an extra vocalist or producer? I wouldn't mind jumping in on this

We need all the help we can get

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-07 20:04:28

At 8/7/17 07:29 PM, JordanKyser wrote:
At 8/7/17 07:23 PM, Spadezer wrote: Guys need an extra vocalist or producer? I wouldn't mind jumping in on this
We need all the help we can get

Sweet! I do have a vacation coming up from the 18th through the 27th of this month and NGADM going on but I'm pretty sure my free time will become much more free once I exit the NGDAM

DM me if you want a review!

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-09 13:18:31

Alright, so I've taken a look at the script brief (which can be found in Page 4 of the Scriptwriters' Thread) and these are my initial thoughts as to amount of songs, and what they might be.

CORPOCAT'S THEME
Variations of this can be made as the introductory BGM, and for subsequent scenes where he is taking control of the characters and Newgrounds. It should sound much like Max Martin's 'songs' -- lacking substance, compressed in the manner of the loudness war, it should be something that you're repulsed by at first, but when you listen to it several times, you get hooked into it. Basically, like the vast majority of pop music. It's a tall order to compose like that but I think that'll serve the best effect.

We'll talk about variations of this later, of course.

NEWGROUNDS ANTHEM
I don't know if we have one that's uplifting enough, but perhaps we need to discuss this one. Is it going to introduce motifs from Newgrounds users' songs? A massive medley of covers? Or what, a new one from scratch? Bear in mind that @SourJovis has mentioned this as an alternate intro (although it could very well mean, "Meanwhile in Philadelphia" in my mind).

DARNELL'S THEME
First of all, I remember there IS one. We need to remaster it for the purposes of the audio drama, and cite the original.

ARCHETYPEZ8'S THEME
Notes for reference: we are basing the concept of the character on ParagonX9, but the look and feel of the character on @Phyrnna. I am not sure if she is meant to sing in the entire drama; if she does, then there'll need to be a voice that cannot be pinned down as either male or female.

If not, I'm not sure whom to use as a musical reference. I don't want to gravitate too much to the two users I mentioned above; they've already influenced one aspect of hers.

BREAK INTO TWO
I'm calling it that because SourJovis calls it that. The final title is yet to be decided. But it's basically when a speaker is discovered that gives the people hope in a hopeless place. There's definitely meant to be a song here.

PICO'S AND NENE'S THEMES
Those will likely need doing as well, and I can imagine sections where the two are combined.

Speaking of Nene: @jessieyun0404 Do you have a microphone? We need a voice actor who can not only understand, but express herself in Korean naturally.

ANOTHER SONG FOR DARNELL AND ARCHETYPEZ8
Basing this on SourJovis' "Promise of the Premise" section. There's quite a bit sung together. It could be campfire song for all we care XD It could be done informally, but the result is meant to be something that binds the two musicians together, and in a way far stronger than most collabs do.

FINAL BOSS THEME
I was initially planning for ArchetypeZ8 to have a lament song along the lines of Bohemian Rhapsody and then, for the final boss theme to be an echo, a more epic version of the exact same song but with more uplifting tones. Not sure if this can be done yet?

EPILOGUE
Everyone needs an uplifting epilogue. We'd also incorporate whoever is meant to be announcer for an NG Radio show (hypothetical!), and then continue the epilogue with an epic song to end.

-----

Alright, questions? Ask me ANYTHING about these songs. I'll be glad to help out where I can; I'll admit I'm not the best at expressing myself in words.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-09 13:25:05

At 8/9/17 01:18 PM, Troisnyx wrote: stuff

OH SHIT I forgot there was a reply to that thing.

VIRUS SONG
Something similar in feel to Corpocat's theme; you get the point.

HALF SONG 1 and HALF SONG 2
According to @SourJovis' brief, Archetypez8's song is meant to sound quite bland and like Corpocat's theme in feel (like most generic pop music out there today), but it's actually HALF a song, meant to be combined with Darnell's half.

So, the song itself has to be done in such a way that when put together, it has nuances and beauty and things that you don't find in pop music. When separated, it sounds generic.

SAD MUSIC FOR A-BOT'S DEATH
According to the brief, we'd probably need this. Or is he dead? Make the music reflect this. He's not quite dead.

And, I'm not sure if we'll need more. We may do. But these are my initial thoughts for now.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-09 17:36:19

Corpocat's Theme sounds like it could be a blast to do if we can emulate any kind of pop music. I could try and write some garbage rap verse for it if need be.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-09 17:40:34

@Troisnyx, yeah! My microphone is always ready. Do you want me to voice act in Korean? Btw, I'm really interested in this project.

~ Jessie

✨ENFP | 🎵 Epic Music Composer for: ACE/Old Chicago/OddTodd |🎬 Film Student | Status : Study Mode!

Visit My Official Portfolio!

BBS Signature

At 8/9/17 05:40 PM, jessieyun0404 wrote: @Troisnyx, yeah! My microphone is always ready. Do you want me to voice act in Korean? Btw, I'm really interested in this project.

Probably English with some Korean phrases thrown in for good measure, before Pico scratches his head and asks exactly what is going on.

@SourJovis, @rebekahamberclark, is this okay? This was the only person I could think about authentically casting as Nene.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-09 18:26:50

I think I could try writing some melody bits for Break Into Two and maybe Archetypez8's Theme. I'll see what I can do and try to share something in the weekend.

BBS Signature

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-09 21:38:37

At 8/9/17 06:16 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 8/9/17 05:40 PM, jessieyun0404 wrote: @Troisnyx, yeah! My microphone is always ready. Do you want me to voice act in Korean? Btw, I'm really interested in this project.
Probably English with some Korean phrases thrown in for good measure, before Pico scratches his head and asks exactly what is going on.

@SourJovis, @rebekahamberclark, is this okay? This was the only person I could think about authentically casting as Nene.

For my part, it's totally fine by me!

@Troisnyx you said if anyone had questions about the songs... Are these all background themes, are there any that will have lyrics? (I haven't had a chance to do more than skim if you already said in an earlier post). I ask since we've got quite a few people signed up for vocalists. HOWEVER, a single chorus song still gives vocalists a chance to sing, even if it isn't solos or lots of songs. So there's a lot of flexibility there.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-10 02:51:33

At 8/9/17 09:38 PM, rebekahamberclark wrote: @Troisnyx you said if anyone had questions about the songs... Are these all background themes, are there any that will have lyrics? (I haven't had a chance to do more than skim if you already said in an earlier post). I ask since we've got quite a few people signed up for vocalists. HOWEVER, a single chorus song still gives vocalists a chance to sing, even if it isn't solos or lots of songs. So there's a lot of flexibility there.

Some of them, at least three, will have lyrics. Some are variable, and some could use Flash Gordon aaaahs. ;) I concur, there's a lot of flexibility here.

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-10 07:57:50

BREAK INTO TWO
I'm calling it that because SourJovis calls it that. The final title is yet to be decided. But it's basically when a speaker is discovered that gives the people hope in a hopeless place. There's definitely meant to be a song here.

Ok, I've finally caught up with everything and ready to get fully onboard this project :).
As I understand it, the song that plays through the speakers in this scene is going to be one of the most important pieces. Itintroduces act two, and the emotional flow of the story seem to be at a high point (that sounded more pretentious than I wanted to, sorry). In most musicals and stories this would be where a mellow and dramatic vocal track comes in that ties directly into the story and moves the story into the next act.

I haven't really listened to many audio dramas, so can't really give any good examples from them, but there are plenty of moments like this in movies:

Les Miserables - "Do you hear the people" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYNfQlf1H8
Tangled- "I see the light": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyrYgCvxBUg
Trolls - "True Colors" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JIpIsgHqV0
Aladdin - "A whole new world" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Like 50% of the songs in Sound of Music cuz it has so many acts
And ofc, La La Land - City of Stars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFUos9sYbHs

Really important to nail this part :). Keep in my mind though that the movies use the visuals to a great emotional effect, something we ofc can't do in an audio drama.
The opener and epilogue music is ofc equally as important, but I feel like the songs that starts of act two are usually the most powerful in a musical, and usually what sets the moods for the story as a whole.
I have some base ideas for this part which I'll share as soon as I've mapped them out.

Any additional thoughts on this?

Just a random idiot

Response to NGAP15: Lyricists / Musicians 2017-08-10 08:00:54

At 8/10/17 07:57 AM, Ectisity wrote:
BREAK INTO TWO
Ok, I've finally caught up with everything and ready to get fully onboard this project :).
As I understand it, the song that plays through the speakers in this scene is going to be one of the most important pieces. Itintroduces act two, and the emotional flow of the story seem to be at a high point (that sounded more pretentious than I wanted to, sorry). In most musicals and stories this would be where a mellow and dramatic vocal track comes in that ties directly into the story and moves the story into the next act.

I haven't really listened to many audio dramas, so can't really give any good examples from them, but there are plenty of moments like this in movies:

Les Miserables - "Do you hear the people" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYNfQlf1H8
Tangled- "I see the light": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyrYgCvxBUg
Trolls - "True Colors" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JIpIsgHqV0
Aladdin - "A whole new world" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Like 50% of the songs in Sound of Music cuz it has so many acts
And ofc, La La Land - City of Stars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFUos9sYbHs

Really important to nail this part :). Keep in my mind though that the movies use the visuals to a great emotional effect, something we ofc can't do in an audio drama.
The opener and epilogue music is ofc equally as important, but I feel like the songs that starts of act two are usually the most powerful in a musical, and usually what sets the moods for the story as a whole.
I have some base ideas for this part which I'll share as soon as I've mapped them out.

Any additional thoughts on this?

If you ever need an uplifting choir or Ar Tonelico-esque feels in places, I'm here! Come on to the Discord later on, and share them there, and I'll see what to add where I can. Others feel free to chip in bits and pieces, as well.

I concur, this is something that really needs to be nailed. We'd put in various subject matters on the theme of hope, whether literal or figurative, and see which seems to be nice to write about.