00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LOCKdev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[VGM] Joey4Track's video game music

1,371 Views | 16 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hi all, I'm Joe. I've been lurking here longer than I should admit lol but now I'd like to share my music with you all. NG has been around forever and has wasted so much of my time so I'll be glad to take some of yours. I've been making music since before you could do it with a computer and playing games since the good old C64. I am trying my best to merge these two best things that exist in the world into something that will let me stop bartending.

I make music of all kinds and in my sig you can find a link to my soundcloud where you can find all my indie/pop/hiphop/rock stuff as I will probably only have my VGM stuff here. I have made some songs for a few mobile games but I am looking to expand my work, if anyone has a project and would like to collab, let me know! My style is along the lines of soundtracks like FTL, Binding of Issac, Risk of Rain, Terraria, Rogue Legacy etc.. Here are some examples from my VGM reel. Hope you guys enjoy, thanks!

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-06-02 05:29:57

Keep updating this thread with your own music, and you'll have a music thread, a nice neat way of putting your tracks together for us to listen to.

And speaking of your tracks, I've taken a listen. That Seer & Sage track sounds like something out of Yen Sid's tower in Kingdom Hearts (the bell synths and stuff anyway). Only thing I notice there is the lack of volume control across your instruments. That flute melody (?) stays at the same volume throughout, which shouldn't be happening, no? Also EQ. It took me a while to hear those drums in the background, but I thoroughly enjoyed them. Hopefully with time, you'll bring those out better. <3

The Toxic Mines, it sounds more industrial than video game as @Lich will clearly attest :D Has a slightly dystopian feel about it. Did you write those drums yourself?

Also went on to listen to Cave Dwellers, I would have thought I was in a futuristic city where tension was palpable and people were preparing for war were it not for those bell synths. Still alright though.

Like you, I am someone who loves blending natural sounds with synth elements, if my most recent track is any indicator. So, I'm happy to find someone who thinks similarly.

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-06-02 12:21:56

At 6/2/17 05:29 AM, Troisnyx wrote: Keep updating this thread with your own music, and you'll have a music thread, a nice neat way of putting your tracks together for us to listen to.

And speaking of your tracks, I've taken a listen. That Seer & Sage track sounds like something out of Yen Sid's tower in Kingdom Hearts (the bell synths and stuff anyway). Only thing I notice there is the lack of volume control across your instruments. That flute melody (?) stays at the same volume throughout, which shouldn't be happening, no? Also EQ. It took me a while to hear those drums in the background, but I thoroughly enjoyed them. Hopefully with time, you'll bring those out better. <3

The Toxic Mines, it sounds more industrial than video game as @Lich will clearly attest :D Has a slightly dystopian feel about it. Did you write those drums yourself?

Also went on to listen to Cave Dwellers, I would have thought I was in a futuristic city where tension was palpable and people were preparing for war were it not for those bell synths. Still alright though.

Like you, I am someone who loves blending natural sounds with synth elements, if my most recent track is any indicator. So, I'm happy to find someone who thinks similarly.

Troisynx! Thank you. Yes, I have been through your thread! I love the world music stuff. I tend to mix a lot of world instruments into my tracks. Yeah I don't to do a whole lot of gain riding in simple tracks like S&S, I typically find a spot for the instruments to sit it and leave them there. I guess I can toy with some automation but there isn't a whole lot of movement going on there. Seer & Sage was actually a bit inspired from the old NES game Uninvited. As for the industrial sound in Toxic Mines, well that's what I like about VGM, you can inject any number of genres into it and it still works. All you have to do is listen to the soundtracks of most indie games today and you can find such a diverse mix of styles. Glad the industrial vibe came across as it makes one think of a nuclear waste factory or something. I don't listen to industrial music but I do love the snarling synths etc.. It's amazing what different songs can bring out which feelings from person to person. The bells in Cave Dwellers do give it a somewhat relaxed vibe, was basically going for an ice cave exploration vibe, hence the bells. Bells always feel a little frosty to me, lol.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-06-04 15:59:01

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-06-09 11:43:59

Here is a Boss Battle theme I came up with for an upcoming shmup. Hope you Enjoy!

Not sure what this is to be honest. Makes me think of creepy rituals. I need to stop watching shit late night on YT

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-06-21 13:51:52

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-06-25 14:58:43

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-06-27 13:32:21

I know I said I would only post game music here but I guess that's a lie. Here is an old track I found from way back in '05, it was for a trip hop mixtape compilation

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-06-29 13:10:49

some synthwave type stuff for upcoming game Neon Sword

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-07-04 19:06:12

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-07-27 16:58:33

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-08-16 13:13:45

I don't really know what this is but I like how it came out..

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-08-20 12:40:55

At 8/20/17 07:41 AM, MithyxSounds wrote: Potentially my favorite track from you to be honest. I really like it! :D

Nice! Thanks for saying! I appreciate it because I actually really like this style and I haven't got much of a response to it. I prefer to make stuff that isn't particularly easily labeled into a genre or sub genre. I find that much EDM can be restrictive with its labels and rigid structures and formats so I like doing stuff like this which doesn't seem belong anywhere, haha.

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-08-30 15:41:48

Seems that people like my synthwave stuff so.. here have some more ;)

Response to [VGM] Joey4Track's video game music 2017-09-06 15:55:57