00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Recent Game Purchases Thread

15,078 Views | 187 Replies

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-07-15 18:05:19

At 7/15/17 02:22 PM, Dean wrote: Never thought I'd find myself buying a new console, but it happened.

Anything in particular sell you on the system or was it just an impulse purchase?

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-07-15 18:42:42

At 7/15/17 06:05 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 7/15/17 02:22 PM, Dean wrote: Never thought I'd find myself buying a new console, but it happened.
Anything in particular sell you on the system or was it just an impulse purchase?

Breath of the Wild was the big selling point for me. I'm a PC gamer these days and the PS4/Xbox One aren't really offering much that I can't get on PC, but Nintendo first party games have their appeal. It's just nice to play something that's a bit more casual and designed to actually be fun.

In a way I feel like getting the Switch was a bit of a gamble because of the limited games available just now, but some of the upcoming titles look promising. I'm not much of a Mario guy, but I'll get Odyssey. Just got finished playing the Splatoon 2 demo and while the controls take some getting used to, I think that's another title I'll be picking up. Then there's the likes of Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the upcoming Metroid Prime and Pokemon giving me something to look forward to.

When Nintendo get their games right, they take me back to my younger years when games were exciting and really managed to hold my attention. I guess that's part of the reason that I decided to give the Switch a chance.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-07-16 11:28:01

This is a month-old purchase but whatever. Before E3 I made the promise that if Nintendo didn't announce Gamecube Virtual Console on the Switch, I'd get a PS4 instead. Not only am I now the proud owner of a PS4, but thanks to a summer Gamestop trade-in deal, I own nearly every PS4 game that I care about.
Ratchet & Clank
Crash N Sane Trilogy
The Kingdom Hearts collection
Bloodborne
LBP3
Plus I've got a ton of PSN+ freebies from as far back as 2013. Can't be bothered to sort through everything so I just downloaded Furi, Grow Home, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, and MGS5 Ground Zeroes. I gave Styx: Master of Shadows a chance, but it plays like a clunky Sly Cooper with a bad understanding of color theory. Maybe it looks better on PC. Heh.
I'll get Yakuza0 sooner or later. I'm lowkey hoping Dreams gets shitcanned, lest I spend another 4 years on Media Molecule's next content creation game.

Yesterday I bought Ty 2 on Steam. It was my favorite game on the Gamecube. Large open world with a focus on exploration. Stages are open but don't feel aimless. It's a very solid platformer. The only complaint I have is that Ty's glide ability is hot garbage. All it really does is slow his descent.
It's currently on early access but outside of a few graphical bugs it's fully playable. Oh yeah, and they removed that prerendered opening cinematic and that kickass Krome logo intro. It was probably rendered in 240i so I guess it's understandable. It would've been awesome if they remastered those.
I would've just emulated it but for some reason Dolphin doesn't like the Ty games. I hope we get Night of the Quinkan soon.

At 7/7/17 06:54 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Voodoo Vince Remastered.

It's awesome to see how many 3D platformers are making it onto Steam now. There's a lot of jokey physics games in the 3D platformer tag so it's hard to sort out actual platformers from... well, jokey physics games.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Here's the (way too many) games I've got since my last post, mostly across all the summer sales.

Xbox
Dark Souls III season pass
Deadlight: Director's Cut
Doom 2016
The Final Station
Human Fall Flat
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
No Time to Explain
Oxenfree
Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
Superhot
Titanfall 2
The Witcher III expansion pass

Playstation 4
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Inside
Kona
Statik (VR)
Superhot VR
Telltale's Game of Thrones
Transistor
The Witness

Vita
Bastion
Fez
Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 HD
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
Parasite Eve II
Resident Evil 3
Silent Hill

PS3
Tokyo Jungle
Darkstalkers Ressurection
Street Fighter III Third Strike

Steam
Fallout: New Vegas
Final Fantasy III
Max Payne
Myst: Masterpiece Edtion
Myst V: End of Ages
Riven: The Sequel to Myst
Uru: Complete Collection

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-05 10:45:52

Hello fall, I've bought some more retro games like Super Mario World,3d classics:Twinbee,super mario land 2 :6 golden coins,3d gunstar heroes ,will get a few more later on today like streets of rage 2 and mayyyybe Pokemon gold or silver

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-05 11:14:31

Currently got Ducktales & Castlevania: The Adventure for the OG Gameboy. Next week, I'm getting a handful of PS2 games & 1 GBC game along the way.

Time to bust a move and get it started. Time's wastin'.

-Mace 2.0

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-05 18:02:22

At 11/5/17 10:45 AM, argile wrote: Hello fall, I've bought some more retro games like Super Mario World,3d classics:Twinbee,super mario land 2 :6 golden coins,3d gunstar heroes ,will get a few more later on today like streets of rage 2 and mayyyybe Pokemon gold or silver

purchased Mega Man 3 (Nes) and The Legend of The Mystical Ninja

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-06 01:46:30

purchased games...
Playstation 4 - horizon zero dawn, Statik (VR)
Steam - Final Fantasy
Xbox - Titanfall 2

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-07 15:47:54

I got Shadow Warrior 1 and 2 from Special Reserve Games last week. Comes in this funky straw bag and has a tiny scroll with some kind of kanji chracter painted on it. Well, since I was last here, I also got a physical copy of Ys Origin from Liited Run Games, Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, and on PSN I downloaded Skullgirls, Bloodstained: Back From Hell and the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. Still haven't touched Ys Origin or Bloodstained yet. Mostly been hooked on Odin Sphere, but I just started Shadow Warrior and damn that game is gory. Pretty fun. Haven't played Van Helsing in a while, but it's cool.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-09 09:13:23

I'm planning on getting Sonic Forces once I have the funds for it, even though the reviews so far have been ass. Otherwise I'm still on my usual Overwatch binge along with the Witcher 3 whenever I have nobody to play with in Overwatch.

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-19 22:09:31

Super Smash Bros 4
3d Super Hang on
Luigi's Mansion : Dark Moon
Resident Evil : Revelations
Mega Man 4: GB
Go! GO! Kokopolo 3D
Wario Land 3

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-23 06:18:27

I bought some of the games that Nintendo had for their holiday Gift guide this year, I was pretty conflicted by choices they had on sale which is rather impressive i mean I never thought I would spend so much time comparing what each game had to promise when other times it would otherwise be a no brainer, It was a whole lot better than last year's offerings.
Star Fox 64 3D
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Shovel Knight : Treasure Trove
Mario Sports Superstars
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -Spirit of Justice
Steamworld Dig

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-25 16:59:44

Undertale (PS4)
Crusader Kings II (Steam)
Worms Ultimate Mayhem (Steam)

Already beat Undertale when it came out but I'm due for a replay and I want to see how they adapted certain things for console. This is the collectors edition from fangamer which includes the soundtrack and a locket/music box that plays the melody from "his theme" Pretty neat.

Crusader Kings is a bit of an impulse buy, I don't generally play RTS and I've never played grand strategy so I don't really know what I'm in for.

Worms Ultimate Mayhem is the two 3D Worms games (Worms 3D and Worms 4: Mayhem) blended together. I used to play Worms 4 on PS2 and got a random burst of nostalgia for it recently so went and picked it up. It's got online multiplayer which sold me.

At 11/6/17 01:46 AM, arjun07 wrote: Statik (VR)

Oh dang, another PSVR owner. Statik is probably my favourite VR game so far. Very Portal-esque with great levels. The story kinda fucked me up and the endgame meta-puzzle was excellent.

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-26 13:56:06

Picked up Puyo Puyo Tetris for my Nintendo Switch. It's the first Puyo game I've played since jamming to Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine as a child, but I'm loving how well it compliments Tetris and I'm a big fan of how the game let's you play both modes simultaneously in Vs. Mode. It's really slick! Seems like the perfect game for when I take my Switch on the airplane with me.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-11-27 19:02:06

I wonder when nintendo will stop supporting the eshop on the 3ds ,I'm planning to buy Penguin Patrol,Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers,3d Classics :Kid icarus and Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask later.

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-02 03:24:06

This is the third Switch game I've bought and I had the collectors edition on pre-order for quite a while; Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's fairly standard collectors edition content, but I thought the packaging was really cool for this one. It contains the game, a steelbook, soundtrack CD and 220 page art book.

Still haven't played this yet and I've never played any of the previous games in this franchise, but I'll be booting it up later on today.

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-03 02:18:34

Checked Gamestop for their "4 for $10 all $4.99 Pre-Owned games" deal ,The choices they had available were rather sparse..didn't notice how much shovelware the original DS had until now
Code Name STEAM
Crush 3D
Steel Diver
Brain Age 2: More Training In Minutes A Day

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-03 11:20:06

At 12/2/17 03:24 AM, Dean wrote: This is the third Switch game I've bought and I had the collectors edition on pre-order for quite a while; Xenoblade Chronicles 2. It's fairly standard collectors edition content, but I thought the packaging was really cool for this one. It contains the game, a steelbook, soundtrack CD and 220 page art book.

Still haven't played this yet and I've never played any of the previous games in this franchise, but I'll be booting it up later on today.

Buying the collectors edition for a game series you've never played? Classic Dean.

I've got a Switch too nowadays and just finished the "main" campaign for Mario Odyssey and I enjoyed it heaps. Just a solid, fun game that I can chill out and relax while I play it, challenging enough that I can spend 5 minutes on a Moon, but never so hard as that I get frustrated. I've been playing a lot of "intense" competitive games recently (PUBG, CS, RL) and I find it so hard to even stick with those for more than an hour at a time, and sometimes dread the idea of playing, so this is a welcome change of pace.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-03 13:55:54

At 12/3/17 11:20 AM, iMini wrote: Buying the collectors edition for a game series you've never played? Classic Dean.

Maybe there is still a part of me that's into collecting. I knew I'd be getting this game because it looks like one of the better Switch releases and the collectors edition looked kinda cool. It also seemed like something that might be desirable in the future, and I'm a sucker for that. Always hard to judge whether a "collectors edition" is actually going to be collectable, but this one seemed like it had potential.

I have actually started playing the game and it's definitely a worth while title for the Switch. I'm probably like 7-10 hours in and still feel like the game is in tutorial mode. The combat system isn't really like anything I've played before, so I'm still getting used to that, and the game keeps throwing bits of info at you on how to buff your characters. There's probably going to be a fair bit of learning with this one, but it seems fun.

The only real downside I've found with this so far is the English voice acting. It has been noticeably shit quite regularly. There are these weird looking little creatures that speak using broken English and it makes me cringe at times.

I've got a Switch too nowadays and just finished the "main" campaign for Mario Odyssey and I enjoyed it heaps.

I really like Odyssey as well. I need to go back and start playing it again at some point. Still haven't actually finished any of the games I have on the Switch.

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-03 15:31:34

At 12/2/17 03:24 AM, Dean wrote: Still haven't played this yet and I've never played any of the previous games in this franchise, but I'll be booting it up later on today.

Let us know how it is. I held off on this one because Monolith Soft games are always filled with great ideas and are soooo close to being amazing, but there are always enough niggling issues that I just can't get over.

BBS Signature

At 12/2/17 03:24 AM, Dean wrote:
The only real downside I've found with this so far is the English voice acting. It has been noticeably shit quite regularly. There are these weird looking little creatures that speak using broken English and it makes me cringe at times.

Yeah, those fuckers too. The devs have a soft spot for those things and put them in all the Xenoblade games and most of the terrible jokes in the game come from the character's interactions with them. It can't possibly be worse than the "Tatsu not food!" gag they kept repeating over and over in XCX. At least the first Xenoblade game made their version of those guys one of the most powerful party members.

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-03 17:24:35

At 12/3/17 03:31 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Let us know how it is. I held off on this one because Monolith Soft games are always filled with great ideas and are soooo close to being amazing, but there are always enough niggling issues that I just can't get over.

I've been on it for a few hours today but just switched it off because the side quest I was doing started to annoy me. Basically, I just had to keep running around the map trying to find 7 of a specific item, but the items you pick up are totally random. It got to the point where I must have been running around for 30 minutes and still only had 4 out of 7. Started to wear me down a bit.

My overall impression is still very positive, but I'm not sure how many more quests like this one I'd put up with.

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-03 18:49:29

At 12/3/17 05:24 PM, Dean wrote:
At 12/3/17 03:31 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Let us know how it is. I held off on this one because Monolith Soft games are always filled with great ideas and are soooo close to being amazing, but there are always enough niggling issues that I just can't get over.
I've been on it for a few hours today but just switched it off because the side quest I was doing started to annoy me. Basically, I just had to keep running around the map trying to find 7 of a specific item, but the items you pick up are totally random. It got to the point where I must have been running around for 30 minutes and still only had 4 out of 7. Started to wear me down a bit.

If it's anything like the first two I would highly recommend ignoring as many of the side quests as possible as they're trash and it's really easy to burn out on the game if you attempt to play it as a completionist. The other games generally gave you a lot of experience for just exploring the world and finding new areas which I enjoyed a lot more than questing.

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-04 17:56:18

At 12/3/17 01:55 PM, Dean wrote: There are these weird looking little creatures that speak using broken English

Those are just regular Japanese people by the sound of it Dean you racist

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-05 23:08:16

Got sims 4 for my Girl

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-07 22:00:07

It felt so much less of a hassle to find some interesting pre-owned games for the ps4 compared to the games in my last post
Tom Clancy's The Division
Lumo
Transformers Devastation
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-11 13:34:08

At 12/7/17 10:00 PM, argile wrote: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

Good choice. I love that game. I gotta go back eventually and beat it a couple of times. I was super into it but got distracted after getting new games, as I do. King, Rem and Machina were my favs to have in my team. Seven and Sice are cool, though.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Recent Game Purchases Thread 2017-12-11 19:53:36

At 12/11/17 01:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Good choice. I love that game. I gotta go back eventually and beat it a couple of times. I was super into it but got distracted after getting new games, as I do. King, Rem and Machina were my favs to have in my team. Seven and Sice are cool, though.

Kind of a stupid thing to wonder about the ps4 but do you know if it plays games off physical discs/install from them on to the hard drive or do you have to download them ?

At 12/11/17 07:53 PM, argile wrote:
At 12/11/17 01:34 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Kind of a stupid thing to wonder about the ps4 but do you know if it plays games off physical discs/install from them on to the hard drive or do you have to download them ?

The PS4 plays from discs, yes. They need to install but they do so very quickly. Many games will need to download updates though.

i wasn't planning on buying Skyrim Special Edition but i saw it on sale for $20 and read that it allows for mods on PS4 so i thought that could be some dumb fun. before i even started a new character i installed a bunch of combat and loot mods, been pretty entertaining. looks nice too.

Newest track: Savant - Upbeat Melodic Metal - Frontpaged!

BBS Signature