00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Unfairly deleted artwork

2,435 Views | 41 Replies

Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-08 13:36:59

Yesterday I made an artwork that consisted in a moderntriangular pattern, I came back home today to find that it was deleted because "I wasn't following the rules and guidelines", which I did.

My artwork was a hand-made triangular-pattern version of a cool image I found while searching for a profile pic (Noctis from Final Fantasy XV), I made it and used it as my profile pic, but not without sharing it on Newgrounds. I didn't break any rule from the art portal, I didn't deserve it.

I will share the image, you be the judge.

Unfairly deleted artwork

Wanna hear a joke? You... there it is! :D

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-08 18:20:51 (edited 2017-03-08 18:22:12)

Well it probably doesnt help that the rest of your gallery is ms paint scribbles and entire canvases filled with the same two premade patterns stamped over and over again until the canvas is mostly black. This triangulation effect can be generated by various programs by inputting an image into them. Can you prove you made this by hand?

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-08 19:19:11

At 3/8/17 06:20 PM, Template88 wrote: Well it probably doesnt help that the rest of your gallery is ms paint scribbles and entire canvases filled with the same two premade patterns stamped over and over again until the canvas is mostly black. This triangulation effect can be generated by various programs by inputting an image into them. Can you prove you made this by hand?

Yes I can, as you just said you've been in my profile, you know my first mosaic. Do you? Well, it's that, but made with inkscape, it's less pixely and much softer. I've made some more.

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-08 21:10:44

At 3/8/17 01:36 PM, neoline wrote: you be the judge.

oh great cthulhu... this reminds me of the days when I would love ripping little shits like you apart...

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-08 21:39:15

At 3/8/17 07:19 PM, neoline wrote:
At 3/8/17 06:20 PM, Template88 wrote: Well it probably doesnt help that the rest of your gallery is ms paint scribbles and entire canvases filled with the same two premade patterns stamped over and over again until the canvas is mostly black. This triangulation effect can be generated by various programs by inputting an image into them. Can you prove you made this by hand?
Yes I can, as you just said you've been in my profile, you know my first mosaic. Do you? Well, it's that, but made with inkscape, it's less pixely and much softer. I've made some more.

then post them and prove it my man and no one will delete your stuff because youll have a gallery full of it and this thread to show your process, or at least a desktop screenshot of the finished product in progress or something. Normally this sort of thing wouldnt need to be proved but ive already explained what your gallery looks like. Its really not a stretch to think somebody with a gallery like that decided to take a drawing somebody else did and put a filter on it.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-08 21:48:19

Sorry to double post but I also want to point out that I believe youwhen you say you had a manual influence with this work, mostly because the polys look like something a beginner would make. It also looks like a hastily slapped together filter effect. Thats why you are in question. The evidence I would put forth that there was some sort of filter or automation put into this is that the use of color is far beyond what the rest of your gallery would show you are capable of. Its for this reason I want you to show how you made this, either by showing your process, showing the source material with your layer information, show a WIP, something anything to prove you did this. Not for me but for the people who would report you or a mod who would just assume you didnt make it.

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-08 22:35:07 (edited 2017-03-08 22:36:12)

Damn. I really wanted to believe you too but I was curious. So what exact numbers did you use when you uploaded that painting of noctus? I cant quite reproduce it perfectly because I dont give a shit.

http://static.zerochan.net/Noctis.Lucis.Caelum.full.1933932.jpg

https://puu.sh/uACuX/9fdac444ed.png

I dont know who the bigger loser is, you or me.

This particular style is of interest to me because one of my favorite artists uses hard work and years of experience and dedication to create traditional artwork with a faceted lustrous coloring style. You should check her stuff out http://bara-chan.deviantart.com/ so your thread isnt a complete waste of time.

Unfairly deleted artwork

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-08 22:49:14 (edited 2017-03-08 23:03:08)

This isn't handmade. You used a photoshop filter over a picture that already exists...

You clicked a few buttons on either photoshop or the program that Template88 found.

I do the same thing messing around at work with postcards from WWI but it's for personal use. I don't post them online and I don't try to pass it off as my own work.

Unfairly deleted artwork

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 09:28:02 (edited 2017-03-09 09:34:14)

If it helps you, I was the one who contributed to the deletion of your image. Just because you put a filter on artwork, doesn't mean it gives you the okay to upload it here as it's not 100% yours.
In fact, I recognized the original artist even through the filter, which violates sakimichan's rights as an artist, since you're technically just reuploading his art without any heavy changes to make it your own. It would be different if you just used his art as a reference, but even so that would be just the smallest bit fishy.

So no, it's not at all unfair. It belongs to sakimichan; filter or no filter. Pretty sad that you're willing to go so far as to lie that you hand-made it.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 13:06:58

At 3/9/17 09:28 AM, Oddlem wrote: In fact, I recognized the original artist even through the filter, which violates sakimichan's rights as an artist, since you're technically just reuploading his art without any heavy changes to make it your own. It would be different if you just used his art as a reference, but even so that would be just the smallest bit fishy.

Oh daaaaang, he freaking stole from the master of abs, sakimichan? That's low.

I even wanted to believe the guy. But the unnecesary excess of polygons in empty spaces kinda gave it away..

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 18:25:27

It's not a filter, also thank you for thinking I know how to use Photoshop xD
it's actually made with inkscape, I WILL send you more artworks I made the same way to prove I was the one who made them.
In fact, I do use google images as a reference, because I use them as the bottom layer, THEN I start making it... I have to use a guide to make these if you thought it's easy to just drag and drop triangles and paint them the perfect way.

This one for example

Unfairly deleted artwork

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 18:26:05

Another one?

Unfairly deleted artwork

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 18:29:07

At 3/9/17 09:28 AM, Oddlem wrote: If it helps you, I was the one who contributed to the deletion of your image. Just because you put a filter on artwork, doesn't mean it gives you the okay to upload it here as it's not 100% yours.
In fact, I recognized the original artist even through the filter, which violates sakimichan's rights as an artist, since you're technically just reuploading his art without any heavy changes to make it your own. It would be different if you just used his art as a reference, but even so that would be just the smallest bit fishy.

So no, it's not at all unfair. It belongs to sakimichan; filter or no filter. Pretty sad that you're willing to go so far as to lie that you hand-made it.

Well, technically I did hand-made it but not entirely, because I used the original as the bottom layer to guide myself. Yes, I should've posted sakimichan's image to give credit to the original creator, but I didn't use any filter.

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 18:29:57

So you're telling me it's okay to take artwork other people spend hours on, composing, coloring, shading, and just slap a Prisma filter on it and it's now 100% mine?

Damn, I been doing this art thing all wrong then.

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 18:34:48 (edited 2017-03-09 18:38:12)

At 3/9/17 06:29 PM, Chat-man wrote: So you're telling me it's okay to take artwork other people spend hours on, composing, coloring, shading, and just slap a Prisma filter on it and it's now 100% mine?

Damn, I been doing this art thing all wrong then.

Did I say I OWNED it? No, but I didn't know who made it, I actually just took images I liked out of google and made them again with triangles. I didn't use a prisma filter on it, I didn't even know it exists till now actually. If I knew I would've thought people would say that to me, I feel stupid for nothing.

From now on I may just do the same, but mentioning AND crediting the original autors of the original artwork, is that ok or you still think I use filters I didn't even know about till people like you started taking me down with those comments. I finally found what I am good at after several music crap I made last year, and I am sure you know how it feels.

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 18:40:49

Hey look what I made

Unfairly deleted artwork

ratchili.com i make stuff

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 18:46:40 (edited 2017-03-09 18:52:24)

At 3/9/17 06:40 PM, Chat-man wrote: Hey look what I made

Ok, I get it. Just because I am unknown it's fine to annoy me like that? Post it on newgrounds if you want, it's a shitty sketch I made and I already saw what you "did". And also if I ask you if you made it yourself you are either going to say "No, it's a filter but at least I am honest you filthy scum" or you could say "Yes, I made it myself just like you. Now I think I will post it without crediting you just like you did".

I give up. Just because there actually are several filters / apps that can do what I did means I definitely knew about them and I shouldn't "lie"? Yes, I am a teenager that wants to be good at something in life and suddenly there is an easier way to "make" what took me hours to make... I just give up, if neither of you are going to believe me I think I want to get banned once and for all. Enjoy my shitty sketches and music uploads then.

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 18:58:21

And here is my completely new and original work!. I used a base though. Oh and I its completely hand made, by me... with ink... and scissors. I only used a program to scan it as well.

only constructive criticism (ie say only nice things about my awesome work)

Unfairly deleted artwork

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 19:02:39

At 3/9/17 06:58 PM, Kinsei wrote:
And here is my completely new and original work!. I used a base though. Oh and I its completely hand made, by me... with ink... and scissors. I only used a program to scan it as well.

Oh shut up xD

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 19:08:34

At 3/9/17 07:02 PM, neoline wrote:
Oh shut up xD

I'll level here with you kid, you really want to get people around here to like you, its simple. Drop the bullshit. The little game will only get more ridicule and cynicism. You'll get a much better response if you work hard and post your crap drawings than doing "any" level of ripping off other artist.
Work hard, and keep at it and you can get to the level of some real greats. All it takes is time and practice. We are all shitty at the beginning, we are all shitty for a long time, some of us are still shitty, but one day you could be great if you just put in the effort and time.
Good luck kiddo, the world sucks and we need all the help we can get.

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 19:17:54 (edited 2017-03-09 19:18:56)

At 3/9/17 07:08 PM, Kinsei wrote:
At 3/9/17 07:02 PM, neoline wrote:
Oh shut up xD
I'll level here with you kid, you really want to get people around here to like you, its simple. Drop the bullshit. The little game will only get more ridicule and cynicism. You'll get a much better response if you work hard and post your crap drawings than doing "any" level of ripping off other artist.
Work hard, and keep at it and you can get to the level of some real greats. All it takes is time and practice. We are all shitty at the beginning, we are all shitty for a long time, some of us are still shitty, but one day you could be great if you just put in the effort and time.
Good luck kiddo, the world sucks and we need all the help we can get.

Ok, which means I should stop making things apps / filters can already make. I get it. Now, should I make better sketches like the one you made fun of? Or maybe more inkscape-spiral-spamming art as always? (it's actually a serious question)
I am asking for your guidance, which ones do you like the most?

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 19:35:03

At 3/9/17 07:17 PM, neoline wrote: Ok, which means I should stop making things apps / filters can already make. I get it. Now, should I make better sketches like the one you made fun of? Or maybe more inkscape-spiral-spamming art as always? (it's actually a serious question)
I am asking for your guidance, which ones do you like the most?

Here is a good rule of thumb, if the entire piece can be completed with little to no conceptual concept and be completed in start to finish in less that 10 minutes, the most likely its not going to be super great. Although it might look "cool" it won't function well as a stand alone piece.
I'll use myself as an example.
Here are two magic/alchemist circles I have done in the past. These really take no work to complete.

Although they look intricate, they really aren't. After really learning to use the pattern brush in illustrator these became so simple to produce, they really lose their flair very quickly.
that is not to say that the technique I used to make these don't come in handy. Because I learned to do these really set me down the path of using the pattern brush in Illustrator. Those same skills have gotten me jobs and interviews in the past. Also if I was ever to do a game/comic/whatever with a magic/alchemical theme to it, then I can use those skills for this.

you should start by focusing on simple stuff. Get a sketch book and draw from life. I know it doesnt seem like actual real life sketching and drawing would be relevant to Digital art, but it is integral and much of the skills will translate across, especially ones for composition and design.

Still work with the programs you have while also doing the real life art. This way when you do combine the two you will find the program getting in your way less that if you was just to start using it one day. Their will be a ton of discouraging moments because things are going to look like shit, but I have already been over that.
If you want to stay motivated, look up tutorials on how to do cool effects. you'll get some fun results and learn a thing or two along the way as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 21:22:14 (edited 2017-03-09 21:27:38)

At 3/9/17 06:34 PM, neoline wrote:
Did I say I OWNED it? No, but I didn't know who made it, I actually just took images I liked out of google and made them again with triangles. I didn't use a prisma filter on it, I didn't even know it exists till now actually. If I knew I would've thought people would say that to me, I feel stupid for nothing.

> Did I say I OWNED it?
You implied it, otherwise this thread wouldn't have been made in the first place.
Again, with or without a filter it's still far too similar to the original image to be considered it's own standalone piece, which was why it was taken down. It would be one thing if you literally DID hand-make it entirely, but that in itself isn't true because you simply drew over an already existing image. It's no different than tracing in that sense.

In the end, it's nothing to take personally. You may think what you think and we may think what we think. It simply just doesn't match up with our guidelines since it's so close to the original; there's not really a reason to argue at this point.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-09 21:46:18

You said "You be the judge", but you're still unhappy about it.

The way I see it you've got two options:

Stream it/ record it, and prove it.
Or admit it.

Go ahead dude, open broadcaster software can be run by the shittiest of computers nowadays.

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-10 00:48:24 (edited 2017-03-10 00:49:25)

I am being unjustly objectified

Unfairly deleted artwork

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-10 02:32:14

When creating a piece we all use reference to help us along, it makes things a little easier than relying on our mind. But there's a big difference between reference and tracing, and it seems like some people can get that mixed up.

Unfortunately your work has been taken down for a reason, work doesn't just disappear on here - I know when you are just starting out and trying to learn new skills you can find yourself searching for new ways to make it easier on yourself, just simply because you are your own worst critic. If you like this sort of style and find it hard to do it without an image underneath then you need to start simple. Start with simple random patterns to make an image or start with an object, maybe a sphere. Again, if this is hard then clearly you need to brush up on your basic drawing skills. If you've got an illustration that YOU did that you can draw over the top with these triangles then great! But grabbing an image off the internet and drawing on top... It's not a smart move. Especially when a lot of people on here know their artists.

In future do some research before doing anything with an image. See if there's a link and that will tell you everything you need to know. Keep this style in mind, don't be discouraged to leave it for the moment and brush up on your skills. You won't progress doing it this way, start small, post it, get some feedback - Become better for yourself, don't live in a false reality to get views. Work hard for yourself - Best of luck on your artistic future.

- I do not wish to hurt you, just merely torture you -

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-10 02:41:07

Looks more like photoshop to me

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-10 14:09:22

Guys, I get it, i'll stop making that shit. Just fucking stop talking about this, I am still not admiting I used any filter or photoshop because I really didn't know that computers could do that faster than me. And I am not going to prove nothing, because I just said I am going to stop posting this shit, I am going on and making better sketches you like it or not.

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-10 14:11:19 (edited 2017-03-10 14:11:59)

At 3/10/17 02:41 AM, Wegra wrote: Looks more like photoshop to me

Ok, then.
If you think it's photoshop then it is... that's easier to believe than the fact that I really spend at least two hours making those images, whatever dude just stop.
(... I still didn't admit anything, there's nothing to admit here)

Response to Unfairly deleted artwork 2017-03-10 14:22:33

Hahahaha hillarious.
You're full of shit, case closed. That many triangles in two hours? Sure. Yeah, right. why would you abandon your style if it takes so much effort then? Just because we call it fake? No, you're just putting up more excuses and lies. And when you're backed against a wall, you play the victim card. Classic

It's been hillarious, I'll leave before it becomes cringeworthy.
See you around.