00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Okidou just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Building a pc

584 Views | 13 Replies

Building a pc 2016-09-14 23:41:59

Always had laptops thinking of going with a desktop
Should I build one?any tips

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-14 23:57:27

Sure. Why not? It's easy.

Step 1: http://pcpartpicker.com/

Step 2: Put PC together on a hard floor. The only part you really need to be careful with is the CPU and its heatsink/fan.

Step 3: Test and install OS.

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-15 00:21:51

At 9/14/16 11:57 PM, Bit wrote: Sure. Why not? It's easy.

Step 1: http://pcpartpicker.com/

Step 2: Put PC together on a hard floor. The only part you really need to be careful with is the CPU and its heatsink/fan.

Step 3: Test and install OS.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
https://choosemypc.net/
http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

BBS Signature

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-15 00:30:59

Do your research, stay in your budget, only buy for your needs. Pictured is my computer.

Building a pc

NG UOTD 2/4/11 | I run a Minecraft server. | Con los terroristas

BBS Signature

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-15 02:23:14

I mean desktops are alright, man. But, uhm, those laptops has that slimness and portability to it, dawg. And bitches love slimness and portablity. You 'no what I'm saying?

BBS Signature

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-15 02:23:51

Also, whatever power supply wattage you think you need, add like 20% to that. And buy a Corsair.

Shitty power supplies can destroy your computer.

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-15 06:33:17

Building a computer with the parts you choose requires a significant technical understanding of computer hardware and software. Before you buy the parts, you'll need to ask yourself why you need to build a new computer. Do you need a gaming rig, or something that can render videos faster? There's so many questions that factor into obtaining the right components, but they all boil down to what you need in a computer, including what your laptops may not be giving you.

In my case, I needed a stupidly powerful future-proof computer consisting primarily of an Intel hex-core processor, a high-end GPU that supports dual 2K monitors smoothly, and 24GB of RAM (32GB as of January 2016). A setup like this is arguably overkill for most users, but it suits my needs very well - encoding large video files and RAM previews in After Effects, that is.

Although I have built around ten computers so far, I can't give the best suggestions for your needs. If you will primarily use a computer for web browsing, office work, or low-end gaming, a dual-core processor should be fine. If you want better performance in non-linear video editing or gaming, get a quad-core processor. I advise getting 8GB of RAM for your computer at the absolute minimum.

Don't expect everything to come out perfectly suited for your needs on your first build. When I made my first build years ago, I didn't really know what I was doing, but now I have a greater understanding of the computer's internal components.

There are a few amateur mistakes you'll want to watch out for, though. Your motherboard and CPU must have the matching socket in order to function. You will also need to check the type of memory your motherboard accepts (DDR3, DDR4), and purchase that specific kind only. Check the supported RAM speeds on the motherboard, too. Don't get a long graphics card unless the case you'll buy supports the length. Furthermore, check all of your desired components in a power supply calculator to find the wattage you need. Don't get a cheap power supply, go for a well-known brand like EVGA, Corsair, OCZ, or Antec, for example. You don't want to set yourself up for headaches when the components arrive!

Do visit the resources @Bit and @Sword-of-Kings have linked to. I haven't used any of them other than the power supply calculator, but I assume they should be very helpful for first-timers. Good luck!

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-15 07:47:50

Look up videos online on how you build a PC, it's just like building with legos pretty much. Just don't fuck up the pins in the cpu socket, repairing that is tedious as hell. Bent some pins in my LGA2011 rig and bending them back was brutal. Had it for 5 years now with no problems though.

Make sure you follow a tutorial and look through it closely. Don't worry mate, I built my first comp when the 9800GT was around. I must've been 7 or 8 years old at the time ^^

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-15 20:46:35

Should I build one?

Yes.

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-16 00:44:50 (edited 2016-09-16 00:45:36)

At 9/14/16 11:41 PM, orion1220 wrote: Always had laptops thinking of going with a desktop
Should I build one?any tips

Yes, I would recommend an EVGA graphics card, preferably the 1060 Superclocked, its a great graphics card, at a reasonable price. Get a AMD Processor, idk which one, or get a intel core i5. ASUS Monitor, Corsair power supply(850 watt) /liquid cooler/case. For keyboards I would recommend the Microsoft Sidewinder x4, any razer mouse, and 8 GB of RAM.

Happy Posting!

BBS Signature

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-16 01:35:18

My friend built his own gaming PC a couple of years ago and since has built 3 others for his friends. If you're just looking for a simple desktop PC it shouldn't be difficult or too expensive. But if you want some kickass fast-running gaming PC you'll be spending a lot.

Response to Building a pc 2016-09-16 08:16:22

I admire people with such talent. Go for it

Response to Building a pc 2017-11-03 01:13:39

At 11/3/17 01:12 AM, KomalVerma wrote:
you will get all details step by step....

Considering this was from like a year ago, I think OP's covered.

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Building a pc 2017-11-03 04:41:17

At 11/3/17 03:03 AM, JosephStarr wrote: Why does everybody insist on building computers now?

Because they want to feel like they're technically competent without actually being technically competent. We'll call that Group 1.

Group 2 would be people who actually require beefy hardware and are willing to put the cash into it and probably have good reasons for this. A video-editing rig for example.

Group 1 brags about having "built" their own computers. They also like to brag about things like overclocking. Group 2 uses their computers for real work without making a big deal about it.

Can you not buy a purpose built computer anymore?

Sure you can and it's often cheaper.

(or is it just the nerd equivalent of building a custom motorcycle or something?)

This, except it's very entry-nerd level. It's not even super-nerd. Super-nerd would be like designing your own computer and creating a prototype of the thing yourself. I bet these people don't know the first thing about the actual hardware or electronics.

It's easy enough anyone can do it, so they feel like they've accomplished some great feat, when the 8 year old kid down the street could do the same thing.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here