00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Yamusy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you think I am a good musician?

1,662 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I've never had much confidence in what I did with music, only recently have I decided to see my music in another light and actually think it might be half decent, but I am always improving and my standards are set so high that I feel like I will never achieve them, or it might take a very considerable and different path to tread with many sleepless nights and every ounce of energy spent in order to get anywhere where I am at least somewhat satisfied with what I create.

I've travelled through several genres of music mostly for the fact that I wanted to see what genres I would perform well under, that and it was fun experimenting with different textures, rhythms, sounds, synths and everything else in between, it gave me experience in how instruments work, orchestral and electronic, what works and doesn't, and how some instruments can seamlessly blend with one another or create a very unique sound when certain notes are played.

I've always wanted to take my music further, to actually make it a career, and it's something I am still to this very day, struggling with, I am just not sure where my style lies, what my music actually is. Is it a representation of me or someone I came up with inside of my head that is just taking control of what I write, which for all I care could be complete nonsense. I guess I could take music less seriously, and I have done so over the past few years, trying to just relax, forget everything, the theory, the standards, what I think I should do, and instead just do it from feeling alone, and it was a fun experiment. Ancient voices was one of those experiments, and previous tracks too.

I think for me to really step over that hurdle would require for me to actually learn how to play the piano, actually sit down and learn the fingering techniques, then the basic chords, then the melodies, and so on and so forth.

It is also one of the reasons why I haven't created a personal music page on the Audio section yet, I feel like I want to start showing off my stuff when it is actually ready, to a degree, something coherent, decent, and fully composed, a beginning, a middle and an end. A track that tells a story, thaty doesn't float on one feeling, mood and/or texture. Also why my YouTube page hasn't been touched in years. I know it is a good source of listeners and sources to make your music reach further with other channnels such as the Epic Music ones.

So what do you think? Also the title could be reverted back at you readers, "Do you think you're a good Musician?" Why and why not? I think it's a good way to completely stop sometimes, and take a hard look at yourself and your music, what you've achieved, what you've yet to achieve and what challenges and requirements need to be set in order to get to that point.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-27 14:27:03

get a real job

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-27 14:38:23

At 5/27/16 01:38 PM, Grandvision wrote: "Do you think you're a good Musician?"

Good is irrelevant. I enjoy what I write. Getting a "real" job will keep it that way so as to not be forced to write for others.

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-27 14:54:27

The trouble with that line of thinking is that we are our own worst critics. Unless we have the ego of several Steve Jobses, we're likely going to think of our work as not that great. But you're creating something that you desire to share. Share it anyway.

I -- yes, I who have had THREE radio plays on BBC Radio Lancashire -- struggle to even think my music is good. It is precisely others who point it out to me. The radio announcer, the reviewers here on NG, my friends. If you're going to get stuck in that rut thinking your music isn't good and there's no point making further steps because it's not good according to what you think, you'd prevent yourself from opening up to others. Regardless of whether you want to make it a career or not, you and I have to bash against this wall that our psyche sets up for ourselves. Because it's up to you and me to break down that wall -- we can't always convey to others what our fears over our music really are.

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-27 15:20:25

At 5/27/16 02:54 PM, Troisnyx wrote: The trouble with that line of thinking is that we are our own worst critics. Unless we have the ego of several Steve Jobses, we're likely going to think of our work as not that great. But you're creating something that you desire to share. Share it anyway.

I -- yes, I who have had THREE radio plays on BBC Radio Lancashire -- struggle to even think my music is good. It is precisely others who point it out to me. The radio announcer, the reviewers here on NG, my friends. If you're going to get stuck in that rut thinking your music isn't good and there's no point making further steps because it's not good according to what you think, you'd prevent yourself from opening up to others. Regardless of whether you want to make it a career or not, you and I have to bash against this wall that our psyche sets up for ourselves. Because it's up to you and me to break down that wall -- we can't always convey to others what our fears over our music really are.

You put it so well, your way of thinking I feel has a broader range due to your life experiences. I've gained some confidence in my work over the years but not enough to really be egotistical about I guess, which is a good thing in it's own regard, I don't fault that I am good, or would, I just create what I like, and if other people like it, even better, if not, so be it, I enjoyed the experience and that's all that matters, but that's not a good way to think when perhaphs trying to break into doing specific themes for games/animation and even films, you've got to change your perspective, and see from your customers viewpoint, what do they want, what they feel the music should represent, but also see it from your side. It's all a learning experience I guess and I need more of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-27 15:32:48

At 5/27/16 03:20 PM, Grandvision wrote:
At 5/27/16 02:54 PM, Troisnyx wrote: The trouble with that line of thinking is that we are our own worst critics. Unless we have the ego of several Steve Jobses, we're likely going to think of our work as not that great. But you're creating something that you desire to share. Share it anyway.

You put it so well, your way of thinking I feel has a broader range due to your life experiences. I've gained some confidence in my work over the years but not enough to really be egotistical about I guess, which is a good thing in it's own regard, I don't fault that I am good, or would, I just create what I like, and if other people like it, even better, if not, so be it, I enjoyed the experience and that's all that matters, but that's not a good way to think when perhaphs trying to break into doing specific themes for games/animation and even films, you've got to change your perspective, and see from your customers viewpoint, what do they want, what they feel the music should represent, but also see it from your side. It's all a learning experience I guess and I need more of it.

Experience comes with the first step of saying, "Look, I've stayed in this cocoon of fear and self-doubt, I want to take at least this little step." I can say this with regards to music for games and animation and radio plays, but at this moment, I haven't been able to say that yet with regards to stage performance, which is another one of my dearest dreams.

Considering you live in Britain too, is there a creative space you can go to, one that takes in volunteers for music etc.? I know some places do have it -- maybe linking up with a group like that might be a good start. In a way, it's like getting your name out there, even if it's by the smallest means.

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-27 17:30:36

At 5/27/16 01:38 PM, Grandvision wrote: I've always wanted to take my music further, to actually make it a career, and it's something I am still to this very day

you can do that, but you need to back that up with a real job (and you are prob. not going anywhere with music as a career)
unless you go full commercial mode, which is not your case

Suck my kick!

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-28 07:25:11

You're miles better than me lol

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-28 12:14:52

At 5/28/16 07:25 AM, Sheeepie2 wrote: You're miles better than me lol

Hey, don't think so. We are all good at different aspects of music, and all have our own styles and what we strive towards. Your music reminded me of the good old days playing in Runescape, very reminiscent feel.

BBS Signature

There's a common function in which as one's skill improves in a subject, their confidence first peaks, and then drops as they obtain true understanding-
http://bradfrost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/knowledge-graph.jpg
http://enlightenedequine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Perceived-Ability.png

Do note that this graphs above do not depict the response for all types of people, as they don't fully take ego into account. Being unconfident in your work is nothing more than a sign that you have progressed toward another degree of expertdom out of the dangerous phase of pre-experdom, in which a person perceives himself/herself an expert when actually not. My test is, can you identify a time when you considered yourself to be overly-confident and/or overly-assertive about either the quality of your music or how music works? I would say probably all of the people in here have gone through such a time. If so, you're well on your way to being an expert!

Allow your unconfidence to give you the chance to shape your development. Ask yourself: what is my unconfidence saying? Where does it say I am lacking? It is likely caused by subconcious realization that there is more information out there than you can ever possibly learn, and that means there is now new information your brain is capable of processing. Remember, we learn things through adjacency- you can't learn how to use side-chaining before you learn how to use simple rack insertion. Think of your understanding of music like a drip in a body of water- as time progresses, the ripple becomes larger and larger, having a greater diameter, touching more information, encountering more connections and understanding more about the world that surrounds it. When confidence drops, it is time to try something new. :)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Well i do think that it is not important if others like your music. What counts is that you totally stand behind what you are doing. We all work hard to improve. And its also just a fact that we never learn out. The goals always have to be very high. Its an attitude that is necessary if you once want to reach a very high level.

BUT: You are an artist. And as such you have to be proud of what you do, invest all your passion and effort into what you are doing. And you have to be selfconscious. If you dont believe in yourself the others also wont. Maybe that sounds strange - but as an artist you just need a certain amount of arrogance. Maybe thats not symphatic. But i belive its just the way it is. I am not talking about boasiting etc. What i mean is that you have to be deeply convinced inside yourself. Nothing ever could tell you that you are not exactly doing the right thing :)

So cheer up. Just act. Dont hesitate or think too much. Always keep raising your bars. Try to encounter situations which seem far too heavy, go for complex styles, try to compete with the best music material that you know. Thats what makes you evolve as and artist and also in your own identity.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-29 16:56:35

I've never had the disliking-my-music phase (at least, yet); I'm definitely not an expert, though, and I know there's loads of stuff I still haven't learned, but at least I can laugh about how bad my previous works were as I work on much better things.

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-29 17:33:28

JUST DO IT! YES YOU CAN! ! DO IT!!! NOTHING IS IMPOSIBLE:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loeZ-z9ct0Q

BBS Signature

At 5/29/16 11:29 AM, samulis wrote: There's a common function in which as one's skill improves in a subject, their confidence first peaks, and then drops as they obtain true understanding-
http://bradfrost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/knowledge-graph.jpg
http://enlightenedequine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Perceived-Ability.png

Do note that this graphs above do not depict the response for all types of people, as they don't fully take ego into account. Being unconfident in your work is nothing more than a sign that you have progressed toward another degree of expertdom out of the dangerous phase of pre-experdom, in which a person perceives himself/herself an expert when actually not. My test is, can you identify a time when you considered yourself to be overly-confident and/or overly-assertive about either the quality of your music or how music works? I would say probably all of the people in here have gone through such a time. If so, you're well on your way to being an expert!

Allow your unconfidence to give you the chance to shape your development. Ask yourself: what is my unconfidence saying? Where does it say I am lacking? It is likely caused by subconcious realization that there is more information out there than you can ever possibly learn, and that means there is now new information your brain is capable of processing. Remember, we learn things through adjacency- you can't learn how to use side-chaining before you learn how to use simple rack insertion. Think of your understanding of music like a drip in a body of water- as time progresses, the ripple becomes larger and larger, having a greater diameter, touching more information, encountering more connections and understanding more about the world that surrounds it. When confidence drops, it is time to try something new. :)

Wow that's realy interesting put. For me it's just a matter of putting in the effort and time in order to achieve the next goal of my standarda and then start all over again, as I know there is no end goal to improvement or perfection. It's just a matter of finding a balance of where I can be confident enough in my music and the way I approach it that it allows me to progress smoothly and tackle difficult bumps with positive thoughts and not get stranded again.

At 5/29/16 11:49 AM, SoundChris wrote: Well i do think that it is not important if others like your music. What counts is that you totally stand behind what you are doing. We all work hard to improve. And its also just a fact that we never learn out. The goals always have to be very high. Its an attitude that is necessary if you once want to reach a very high level.

BUT: You are an artist. And as such you have to be proud of what you do, invest all your passion and effort into what you are doing. And you have to be selfconscious. If you dont believe in yourself the others also wont. Maybe that sounds strange - but as an artist you just need a certain amount of arrogance. Maybe thats not symphatic. But i belive its just the way it is. I am not talking about boasiting etc. What i mean is that you have to be deeply convinced inside yourself. Nothing ever could tell you that you are not exactly doing the right thing :)

So cheer up. Just act. Dont hesitate or think too much. Always keep raising your bars. Try to encounter situations which seem far too heavy, go for complex styles, try to compete with the best music material that you know. Thats what makes you evolve as and artist and also in your own identity.

Thanks for the confidence boost. I guess it is inevitable that we as artists are often feel like we might be superior to ordinary ways of life, or even people, and that we need to belive in ourselves because no one else will if you do not YOURSELF first believe. It could also work as fake confidence, just do it and worry about the failures later, as failures are just the stepping stones for you to overcome and learn from in order to better yourself.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you think I am a good musician? 2016-05-31 03:39:25

At 5/31/16 03:29 AM, Lich wrote: scary competitors with large library and plugin arsenals

Which brings me to my next point: NEVER be intimidated.

Regardless of whether you're taking part in a competition, or going down the route where you're hoping to earn some dough from making music, NEVER be intimidated.

All the plugins in the world are not going to help you if you can't mix them well, and I know a good few who have made absolute crackers of songs from just using SF2s, and who have earned money in the process. (@Step might be one of them, I don't know.) Heck, Uplift, the first song of mine that ever got played on BBC Radio Lancashire, was soundfont-only with the exception of the high percussions and vocals, which I recorded.

Put it this way, if you are able to make a radio-worthy song with the little you have, then you are on the right track -- and you have raised the bar for people who have few plugins to their name. The whole point is how it sounds in the end, and if you can manage that with little, you will earn the trust and the respect of people listening to you. I couldn't care less about plugin elitism.